Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/6/2014 1:58:08 PM EDT
I was responding to another post on this forum and thought this would be a good story for everyone who hog hunts

What was your scariest incident hog hunting...  Here is mine

Now I killed many a hog with Bow, Pistol and Rifle and I have never lost respect to what a fully grown hog can do if he gets a mind too...

About 20 years ago I was hunting down in the Florida Everglades and I was hunting off a Swamp Buggy.  I was using an SKS Rifle and had my 45 on my hip.  The driver who was a friend of mine stopped and pointed out about 8-10 hogs rooting around just outside a dense palmetto thicket.  I sighted in on the largest hog of the bunch and fired, it was about a 80 yard shot and I heard the hog when the bullet hit the hog let out a squeal that would curl your toes...  He took off into the thick palmettos...  We drive up to where I had hit him at found blood and it was heading into the thickest part of the palmettos... No way I could get a rifle through there so I left my rifle on the buggy un-holstered my 45 chambered a round and started to make my way into the palmettos, after about 20 yards or so it got so thick I was literally crawling on my hands and knees  after about another 30 or so yards of crawling on my hand and knees I heard this god awful snort and what sounded like a growl,coming at me crashing thru the palmettos,  that hog I shot was barreling down on me and  I saw a look of pure evil in that hog eyes, I was on my hand and knees and could not move very quickly as I turned that hog was no more than about 8 feet away and the only reason he stopped was because he hit a large  Palmetto stump that was bent over, at the same time my pistol came to bear and off hand I fired and caught that hog right above his eye... That Winchester Black Talon bore deep into his skull and he was dead right there never even twitched ...  We had to winch him out with the swamp buggy to get out of the palmettos..  When we got back to camp we weighed him and he went 322 pounds and had 4 inch cutters...  If it was not for that palmetto branch he would of surely tore me up. Upon inspection of the shots I made the first SKS  round caught low in front of his hind leg and left a little intestines hanging out... The shot with the black Talon obliterated his eye socket bored thru his brain and came to rest on the back side of his neck under the hide.  That 45 Black Talon was perfectly expanded and retained much if not of all it's 230 grain weight.    That was one great round..
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 7:02:18 PM EDT
[#1]
removed...krp
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 7:13:10 PM EDT
[#2]
removed...krp
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 8:49:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Great story thanks for sharing!
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 12:10:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
removed...krp
View Quote

unsure what this is about.

interesting story. that's why i don't go chasing hogs through brush haha.
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 9:58:15 PM EDT
[#5]
removed...krp
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 2:07:25 AM EDT
[#6]
removed...krp
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 9:42:38 PM EDT
[#7]
This guy was attacked recently near Slidell, LA. Tore up his leg pretty bad. Warning: The link has a slightly graphic pic of the injured leg.

I would definitely be nervous approaching an injured boar.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 10:27:29 PM EDT
[#8]
I've seen awful things done by domestic hogs in a pen. My brother was feeding a sow and accidentally stepped on s piglet. I forget how many stitches it took to close. But the wound was 4 or 5 inches and deep.

This is a domestic hog used to you. The feral bastards would have my it utmost respect.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 10:41:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Of course hogs can be dangerous.  Heck, deer are dangerous.  Most feral hog "attacks" however, come from hogs defending themselves, often after been shot, bitten, and/or cornered.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 1:45:51 AM EDT
[#10]
I've been driving down cotton rows chasing hogs...45 mph letting the truck stay in the ruts and shooting out the window.

Been driving when a hog (there was no provocation) rammed the front axle of the truck. Sliced straight through the side wall of a 10 ply tire and broke the tie rod on a 3/4 ton pickup.

Ran into a herd going across a FM in the middle of the night (while doing 75)...had no choice but to go through them. Got lucky and hit piglets, but I still had to wash all the red off the side of a white truck.

This last week we went to a friend's ranch to go pick up his Willy's. As we were pulling out and getting up to speed a herd t-boned us. Winged one with the trailer...after it was all said and done, I left no survivors.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 3:48:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Of course hogs can be dangerous.  Heck, deer are dangerous.  Most feral hog "attacks" however, come from hogs defending themselves, often after been shot, bitten, and/or cornered.
View Quote

Or surprised ie accidentally walking up on sleeping sow/piglets in tall grass
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 6:09:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Domestic pigs killed and ate most of a farmer out in WA or OR a last year.

I'm on my tablet; I'll try to find the story later.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 6:59:29 PM EDT
[#13]
When I used to work for the State Veterinary Quarantine Infectious Disease Services when I first got out of veterinary school, every year we would have 2-3 farmers in our area mauled to death in the sow pen, it is an occupational hazard. Quite often the sows would often eat the corpse as well...

Here are a couple of medical publications on hog attacks:

Pic I took of Adonis being gored to death by a hog in Florence, Italy at the Uffizi Art Museum;

http://www.phossil.com/thom/4th%20July%20Hog/Wild%20Boar%20Attacks/Death%20By%20Wild%20Boar.pdf

http://www.phossil.com/thom/4th%20July%20Hog/Wild%20Boar%20Attacks/Wild%20Boar%20Attack%20II.pdf

http://www.phossil.com/thom/4th%20July%20Hog/Wild%20Boar%20Attacks/Wild%20Boar%20Attack%20III.pdf
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 9:29:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Domestic pigs killed and ate most of a farmer out in WA or OR a last year.

I'm on my tablet; I'll try to find the story later.
View Quote

Here you go; poor bastard got it backwards; you're supposed to eat them:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/10/02/authorities-believe-oregon-farmer-eaten-by-his-hogs/
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 9:54:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Shoot 'em from choppers.

You're safe unless unless you come across those pigs that can fly.

Link Posted: 8/29/2014 9:59:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Shoot 'em from choppers.

You're safe unless unless you come across those pigs that can fly.

https://smalbanynewyork.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/flying-pig-11.jpg
View Quote

Hog-hunting fighter ace sounds like some serious braggin' rights.
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 5:30:05 PM EDT
[#17]
The pictures that have been published of dead soldiers taken at Gettysburg were once thought to have been laid open by cannon fire. The damage to the bodies is now thought to have been done by feral hogs that roamed the battlefield.
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 6:18:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Some of you might know Randy Dudley of the Langley Ranch in Texas.

This is his story of getting attacked by boar hog that a hunter had wounded.

http://texasoutdoorsmedia.com/this-weeks-show-90/

Link Posted: 9/13/2014 11:43:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The pictures that have been published of dead soldiers taken at Gettysburg were once thought to have been laid open by cannon fire. The damage to the bodies is now thought to have been done by feral hogs that roamed the battlefield.
View Quote

Holy crap.

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 5:42:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
When I used to work for the State Veterinary Quarantine Infectious Disease Services when I first got out of veterinary school, every year we would have 2-3 farmers in our area mauled to death in the sow pen, it is an occupational hazard. Quite often the sows would often eat the corpse as well...

Here are a couple of medical publications on hog attacks:

Pic I took of Adonis being gored to death by a hog in Florence, Italy at the Uffizi Art Museum;

http://www.phossil.com/thom/4th%20July%20Hog/Wild%20Boar%20Attacks/Death%20of%20Adonis.jpg

http://www.phossil.com/thom/4th%20July%20Hog/Wild%20Boar%20Attacks/Death%20By%20Wild%20Boar.pdf

http://www.phossil.com/thom/4th%20July%20Hog/Wild%20Boar%20Attacks/Wild%20Boar%20Attack%20II.pdf

http://www.phossil.com/thom/4th%20July%20Hog/Wild%20Boar%20Attacks/Wild%20Boar%20Attack%20III.pdf
View Quote

These are fascinating.  If you have more I would like to read them.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 6:36:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Whenever I go camping on a sandbar I always look for tracks before setting up camp, I`ve had them start fucking with my tent in the middle of the night. I'm not afraid of them but I do have plenty of respect for them. If push comes to shove 30 rounds of M855 does the trick
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:40:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Whenever I go camping on a sandbar I always look for tracks before setting up camp, I`ve had them start fucking with my tent in the middle of the night. I'm not afraid of them but I do have plenty of respect for them. If push comes to shove 30 rounds of M855 does the trick
View Quote

I could think of a better ammo choice than M855 for pigs
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:38:19 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hence the 30 rd mag.

But seriously, that round was designed to penetrate commie titanium body armor, so it ought to do fine against a thick hide and/or skull.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:53:19 PM EDT
[#24]
That's exactly why I use it., it tends to penetrate really well and is fairly cheap. I've never had one complain lol.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 6:03:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
That's exactly why I use it., it tends to penetrate really well and is fairly cheap. I've never had one complain lol.
View Quote

Really?  Every one I shoot bitches up a storm.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 9:49:49 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

I was responding to another post on this forum and thought this would be a good story for everyone who hog hunts

What was your scariest incident hog hunting...  Here is mine

View Quote

Here's mine:

Back in the day before I owned night vision and stuff, I got into the habit of stalking up on pigs in the rice fields with an AR and then quickly learned that a shotgun was better.  (Killed 3 in one shot once)

The general idea was that you located them by the sound of them splashing around, or followed dew trails into the rice.  Once you got on the pile you fired a shot or two and then chased them all over kingdom come picking them off.  I got really good at making pig noises and actually called them right up to me.  I can tell you some great stories when I'm whiskied up about this.

Anyway, at some point I got tired of chasing them after the gunfire and figured I'd just stab them with a spear.

I did this a handful of times and it was always hairy, but once the big sow jumped just as I lunged and I stuck her in the hind quarter.  I had her pinned but it was taking all my might to keep her down (I'm not a big dude).  That pig was screaming bloody murder and looking me right in the eye snapping her teeth etc.  I was just waiting for the shaft to snap at any moment and go spinning right into her face.  At some point she started chewing on the spear shaft and it gave me a second or two to unsling my AR and put a bullet in her.  I had to do this and still hold on to the spear for dear life so I missed her head and it went down her neck into her body.  

As it turns out, I happened to have a tracer in the chamber.  Good God did that pig ever scream.

A bullet or three later she finally gave up.  The spear has some impressive bite marks on it and its made of hardwood.

Link Posted: 10/8/2014 11:13:31 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So you were hunting my ex and her friends?
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 7:03:23 AM EDT
[#28]
Spear Hunting Hogs now that is something I would like to try...  Great story...
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 7:49:53 AM EDT
[#29]
Plus he was in his bare feet too!
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 2:13:14 PM EDT
[#30]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top