Posted: 9/11/2010 10:57:59 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 12:06:03 PM EDT
[#1]
They do sell ARs in 6.8 caliber.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 12:11:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 12:14:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Were you just hanging out at the beach and the hogs showed up?
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 12:19:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 1:45:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Sun, Sand and a hog. Just need a margarita and some Jimmy Buffet music. Nice Hog.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 2:05:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 12:37:32 PM EDT
[#7]
i get the same results with my SIG 556s using either Nosler 77 grain Competition Custom, Sierra 77 grain Match King, or the Hornady 75 grain Match, even the cheapo Prvi 75 graim OTMs work great on hogs.

BTW - nice porker!
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 1:26:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Great shot placement E TX!  Instant dirt nap.  Or should I say Sand Nap.....LOL  
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 1:30:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Odd, fragmentation from FMJ 5.56 is why I quit using it.  Got tired of the lead grenade in the meat, and fragments of jacket in the sausage.

Are you eating the hogs, or just killing them?

TRG
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 2:18:43 PM EDT
[#10]
If you think those work well you'll shit yourself over the TSX's performance.

P
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 3:07:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 3:08:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 3:13:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 3:41:05 PM EDT
[#14]
double tap
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 3:43:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

P
+1
Quoted:
Is there a company that loads these from the factory? I don't reload.
Lots and lots.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 4:25:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 4:30:06 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
What does the TSX do?   I understand it penetrates better than the others, but does it expand good to?

Thanks

It's a controlled expansion bullet, meaning it should reliably expand in a similar manner each time, given that it's fired into a similar medium each time.

I've never shot anything with them, though. I've never found the terminal performance of conventional bullets lacking or needed to shoot something through a barrier.

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 5:51:19 PM EDT
[#18]
barnes tsx bullets are the stuffing, i use them in my 6.8 and 308, the performance and weight retention are truly a thing to behold..... also i am semi partial to the horniday sst bullet either one will do an exceptional job
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:06:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

P
+1
Quoted:
Is there a company that loads these from the factory? I don't reload.
Lots and lots.

What does the TSX do?   I understand it penetrates better than the others, but does it expand good to?

Thanks

The TSX expands 2x original diameter within 1.5" of penetration.  The petaled design cuts a tremendous amount of flesh causing massive hemorrhaging.  Being all copper they retain 100% of their weight so the REALLY penetrate, so much so it is rare to have one not go all the way through.  I have used every bullet there is and for the last 6 years have not used anything but TSX's in every gun I shoot.  I kill hundreds or deer and hogs a year and have never had a TSX fail to reliably expand.  I shoot them in wildcats at 3750 fps and 5.56 at 2450 fps.

P
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:13:20 PM EDT
[#20]
You shot him in the shoulder, correct?

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:38:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Thanks
It consistently stays in one piece, and reliably expands to at least 1.5 times it's original diameter, causing massive tissue damage, and two wounds to bleed out of, thus improving your chances of tracking it if you don't make a clean hit.

I've used them in whitetails for the last 10 years in a 300 Win Mag.  I eat everything I kill, except for one or two bucks who were TOO much in the rut.  I have yet to encounter a single bullet fragment.

Here's a pic of a .458 caliber bullet fired out of my friend's muzzleloader.  It retained 99% of it's original weight.

Barnes bullets are expensive, but it's the only piece of hunting gear you buy that will make contact with the animal.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:44:49 PM EDT
[#22]
You shot him in the shoulder, correct?

Looks like neck to me.

I've shot some TSX bullets out of my 16in Fulton .308 and it didn't like them at all.  IIRC they were black hills 168's.  I was looking forward to whackin a few with em, oh well.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 3:40:03 AM EDT
[#23]
Nice shot ETxH!

That hog was  dressed up,  to get messed up!!  

They do make TSX in ready to shoot cartridges,  but most are 55 grain in .223:
TSX at Natchezz

You can find Fusions (same principal)  in .62 grains.

Haven't seen anything heavier in a loaded commercial cartridge.

I shot the Sierra BTHP Match in 69 grain for many years.
It would splinter in a lot of small pieces, so I think that's what you are seeing with the 77 gr.  too.
Here is your 77 gr.BTHP  MatchKing Sierra in ballistic gel:

Notice those 3 big shards that went beyond 12"??   Kinda explains your 3 separate exit holes!  

Your shot placement is always pretty darn good from the pictures you share.

I'm loading Vmax's for my SPS bolt gun now.   They darn near explode on impact.  Great for critters up to coyote size,
but don't know if they would have penetration problems in tougher animals like hogs?
But if you neck shot them,  the VMax would tear up the whole area real bad, I know that.

Thanks for the pics,  always entertaining.

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 3:52:32 AM EDT
[#24]
Black Hills is producing a 62gr TSX Load in their red box for 1:9 twists and SSA is loading a 70gr TSX for the 1:8-7 twist.  Federal makes a law enforcement load in the 55gr TSX that is much cheaper than their Premium round.

It was mentioned that the Fusion is the same concept and I will have to dispute that.  The fusion is a fused cup and core lead bullet that relies on crush where as the TSX is a copper monolithic and relies on cutting by the petaled design.  Both are good bullets but it is apples to oranges.

P
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 4:37:28 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 4:44:04 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 5:29:37 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Black Hills is producing a 62gr TSX Load in their red box for 1:9 twists and SSA is loading a 70gr TSX for the 1:8-7 twist.  Federal makes a law enforcement load in the 55gr TSX that is much cheaper than their Premium round.

It was mentioned that the Fusion is the same concept and I will have to dispute that.  The fusion is a fused cup and core lead bullet that relies on crush where as the TSX is a copper monolithic and relies on cutting by the petaled design.  Both are good bullets but it is apples to oranges.

P

OK,  my bad,   is a different concept,   looks like they are trying to achieve similar end results?
I don't claim to know too much about them.  

ETxH,  you are quite welcome,  glad to add any helpful info.

Sierra always said they didn't recommend their HPBT Match bullets for hunting purposes....I'm thinking maybe they got tired of people complaining about all those fragmented little bits getting stuck between their teeth during dinner.        
But for straight up killin stuff,  they are like little fragment grenades.

I didn't know if they'd penetrate enough on a big thick-skinned hog?  
Looks like ETxH proved that wrong!  Shot placement is key,  I guess.

Sidenote: The little 52 gr. BTHP Sierra Match bullet will turn a groundhog into a bag of jelly.

I'll take a quick moment to say I've never shot a hog,  but I enjoy the heck out of seeing you Hog hunters take them down!
Always checking the nice tactical rigs and for the latest kills,  go get em!
Keep up the good work!
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 4:37:14 AM EDT
[#28]
Sierra does not recommend the match bullets for hunting because they are very unpredictable.  Velocity greatly determines performance.  You have a small window that the bullet will fragment then it pokes a hole like a pencil.  You can not put a specific yardage on it without knowing your starting velocity.  Starting velocity can vary greatly with bbl length, buffer weight, weather conditions, location, etc.  Also fragmenting bullets are very unpredictable in how they fragment and degree.  Animals do not have the psychological reaction to being shot that humans do.  if your bullet fragments around the vitals without hitting them an animal is gone with nothing but flesh wounds.  

P
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 4:44:32 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Sierra does not recommend the match bullets for hunting because they are very unpredictable.  Velocity greatly determines performance.  You have a small window that the bullet will fragment then it pokes a hole like a pencil.  You can not put a specific yardage on it without knowing your starting velocity.  Starting velocity can vary greatly with bbl length, buffer weight, weather conditions, location, etc.  Also fragmenting bullets are very unpredictable in how they fragment and degree.  Animals do not have the psychological reaction to being shot that humans do.  if your bullet fragments around the vitals without hitting them an animal is gone with nothing but flesh wounds.  Conversely if the animal is beyond fragmenting ranges you just poked a 1/4" hole in it with little blood loss, hemmorhraging or blood
trails.
Bottom line is a 55gr PSP is a better ALL around bullet for hunting than a bthp match bullet is.

P

Sorry about the quote, this should be above as an edit

P

Link Posted: 9/18/2010 7:30:12 AM EDT
[#30]
I'm no hog hunting expert for sure but my sons and I dropped 4 hogs with 5) 6.8 SPC TSX rounds last year in Fla. All were sholder shots and none of the hogs went less that 120lbs. The largest went just under 200lbs. The only hog that took 2 rounds was  running when gut shot, followed up with a sholder shot. Three of them never moved from where they were shot.

I'm sold on this bullet for hogs.......
Link Posted: 9/19/2010 3:11:06 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
IMO fmj is inferior for most applications I can think off.

Which is why it is illegal to do so in most states.  For .223 I use the OTM's or TSX bullets, 70 gr and up.
Link Posted: 9/19/2010 6:58:50 PM EDT
[#32]
I was planning on using some 5.56 77g stuff I have but went ahead and ordered some 63g soft points just in case. I dont plan on eating them so I guess it doesnt matter if the OTM shreds up the inards.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top