Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/19/2012 10:34:19 AM EDT

I plan on going coyote hunting soon and had a few questions for anyone from SC or yote hunters in general... DNR states you can't use a laser site or scope or light enhancing device...a red dot site does NOT fall in these categories correct? Also, what strategies have worked best for areas around SC. Thanks for the help.

Quoted from DNRs website...

Coyotes and Armadillos
A hunting license is required to hunt coyotes and armadillos, however there is no closed season on hunting coyotes and armadillos on private lands statewide. Coyotes and armadillos may be hunted at night with an artificial light that is carried on the hunter’s person attached to a helmet or hat, or part of a belt system worn by the hunter (50-11-710). Coyotes and armadillos may be hunted at night with a rifle no larger than .22 caliber rimfire, a shotgun with a shot size no larger than size BB, or a sidearm of any caliber that has iron sights and a barrel length not exceeding nine inches. A sidearm may not have a butt stock attached so as to create a longarm. Any weapon used to hunt coyotes or armadillos at night may not be equipped with a scope, laser site, light, or light enhancing device (including night vision or thermal imaging). It is unlawful to have in one’s possession any shot size larger than a BB while hunting coyotes or armadillos at night with a shotgun, and coyotes and armadillos may not be hunted at night from a vehicle, unless specifically permitted by the department.

Coyotes and armadillos cannot be hunted at night on WMA lands but can be hunted during the day on WMAs where coyote and armadillo hunting is allowed.

On WMA lands, weapons used to hunt coyotes and armadillos are limited to the weapon(s) that are allowed for the current open season on the WMA - see WMA seasons listing in the Game Zones (Adobe PDF).

The use of electronic calls for coyote hunting is permitted statewide on private and WMA lands. Dog hunting for coyotes is allowed year-round on private lands statewide. Deer may not be hunted with dogs on any lands in Game Zones 1 & 2. On WMA lands in Game Zones 1 & 2 coyotes may not be hunted with dogs during still gun and muzzleloader hunts for deer or bear. The possession or transport of live coyotes is allowed only by permit from SCDNR.

Link Posted: 6/19/2012 11:26:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Tag for info, 30 miles north of the border(in North Carolina), but techniques may be similar, and the only luck we have had was during deer season. I've had poor luck with mouth calls and downloaded audio files. I just can't see spending the $0400+ on foxpro.

But at least we will get night hunting in August.

Edited for state, but hoping that some more knowledgeable info will be imparted

Link Posted: 6/19/2012 5:09:06 PM EDT
[#2]
yeah apparently DNR says you can night hunt in SC with a light as long as it's not attached to your gun...and you have to use .22 rimfire ammo. So now after re-reading DNR SC coyote hunting laws... I'm under the impression that I can use a .223 round as long as it's not at night...Still a little confused
Link Posted: 6/21/2012 6:17:21 AM EDT
[#3]
not sure where youre hunting, but try to set up on an old road bed if possible, sometimes they will be laying up in a cutover during the day, and at dusk try to use a dying rabbit call.  This will get them out and on the move.  Then switch over to a howl.  Be sure to look down the roads.  They will pop out of nowhere and be right on top of ya.
Link Posted: 6/21/2012 6:20:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/21/2012 7:56:04 AM EDT
[#5]
bump for any more info

Link Posted: 6/22/2012 7:08:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the advice CrewChiefMA...so are you on the ground in a blind or in a stand?
Link Posted: 6/30/2012 4:29:28 AM EDT
[#7]
On the ground, sitting on my stool, using natural cover.  very simple
Link Posted: 6/30/2012 5:26:13 AM EDT
[#8]
I know that some states allow .22 rimfire only during the night but during the day centerfire is fine.  However I am not familiar with your specific laws/regs and should probably ask the dnr just to make sure.
Link Posted: 6/30/2012 12:17:35 PM EDT
[#9]
The laws are supposed to change when the book gets published.

A RED dot site is not a laser sight.

I went this AM and called in 2

Feral dogs.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top