Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/2/2017 12:14:31 AM EDT
Wondering if there is any advantage with the 6.5 in under 200 yards or at shorter ranges is the 308 still over the 6.5?
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 2:57:31 AM EDT
[#1]
I think the bullet you choose for either will play heavily into answer your question.  I own both calibers but hunt with neither...however I've read about the 6.5 cm punching straight through animals because of either the velocity or poor bullet selection.  But I've read about others where the bullet dropped deer in their tracks.  Shot placement with either round will be paramount obviously but once you start talking about penetration and expansion it really depends on the actual projectile being used...but both rounds will get the job done.
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 3:13:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Can't really go wrong with a 308 for most things. If I'm going deer hunting I'll grab my bolt action 308. If I'm going hog hunting then I'll grab my AR-15. 
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 3:50:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Given similar bullet construction in both of those cartridges there will be little to no difference in "deer killing ability" at any range you can make a good shot at.
Link Posted: 1/3/2017 7:38:22 PM EDT
[#4]
The advantage of the 6.5 would be reduced recoil.  

Both have similar velocities.  Given similar bullets, like a 120 SST in the 6.5 and a 150 SST in the 308, you'll see very, very similar performance on deer.  Likewise, a 140 nosler partition in the 6.5 and a 180 partition in the 308 will also act a whole lot alike.  While the 308 has a advantage in terms of power, most of that is a theoretical, paper advantage.  Both will kill a deer stone dead.  The 308 just kills a bit more hillside behind the buck...

You won't see any 'real' advantage in terms of power with the 308 until you start shooting critters in the 400, 500 lbs and up class.  

the only real advantage of the 308 for deer would be ammo availability and ammo cost.
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 11:01:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Both have similar velocities.  Given similar bullets, like a 120 SST in the 6.5 and a 150 SST in the 308, you'll see very, very similar performance on deer.  Likewise, a 140 nosler partition in the 6.5 and a 180 partition in the 308 will also act a whole lot alike.  While the 308 has a advantage in terms of power, most of that is a theoretical, paper advantage.  Both will kill a deer stone dead.  The 308 just kills a bit more hillside behind the buck...

You won't see any 'real' advantage in terms of power with the 308 until you start shooting critters in the 400, 500 lbs and up class.  

the only real advantage of the 308 for deer would be ammo availability and ammo cost.
View Quote

Agree the 308 will have more recoil and the 6.5 creedmor will kill any whitetail at any reasonable range, from any reasonable angle.  308 ammo is cheaper and way more available.  If you go over 300lb game I think the 308 is better at under 200 yards.  The difference in diameter is the same as the creedmoor has on the 223.  Also think that a heavier bullet(similar construction) will almost always penetrate more.  For instance a 444 marlin with 265 grain bullet will open up to near 1" and still penetrate just as deep as a 180 grain partition.  The 180 grain 308 bullet has a big advantage in SD but the extra momentum of the heavier bullet penetrates better.  I have seen this with 125 grain 308 bullets vs 100 grain 243 bullets as well.
Link Posted: 1/6/2017 8:56:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
This covers it right there.
Link Posted: 1/7/2017 2:48:11 AM EDT
[#7]
6.5 will shoot a little faster, flatter, lighter, and still easily get the job done. Either will work though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top