Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/17/2014 1:26:18 AM EDT
My oldest son and I are going to build a couple of box blinds this year for some of our deer hunting spots.  
So...out of curiosity show some pics of what y'all are using.  You can share what works and what doesn't too.

Old Marine
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 5:03:04 AM EDT
[#1]
devil dog,

only advice I can give is make sure you have a solid panel behind you for the major directions from which you will be observed.  I've used some old boxes that have been on the property a long time at a friends.  The older does know exactly where they are and eyeball them looking for silhouettes in the box.  In the one in my mind, I intentionally kept well back against the back panel.  

Up in NY on the Canadian border we had plexiglas windows for the late season bitter cold winds.  Not sure if you'll need them but if you can live with out them, it's easier.  They can fog or frost up and if you are leaving them in as a wind block you still have to get them out of the way for a shot.

ETA an old carpet scrap on the floor of raised wooden boxes helps eliminate noise.

Sorry, no pics, never took any of the blinds and live 4 hours away from the blinds now.   All were elevated, two had ramps for a handicapped hunter.  One had a drop down front that you could use as a bench rest.  Another had a benchrest shelf inside with sliding windows.   (covered area was over 500 yards deep with food plots near and far)
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 2:27:09 PM EDT
[#2]
x

Here is a photo of a 5'x5'x6'6" box built of plywood, 2x4's and 2x6's with a shingled roof....multiple coats of porch and deck paint.  It is set on 12' 4x4" posts.  Windows are tip-in plexiglass... hinges at bottom.   Floor covering is linked rubber panels from cheap freight store. Windows finished/framed with vinyl J channel...nailer side in.  Hinges set so plexiglass windows rest below J channel when open providing no scratch surface for rifle rest.  Interior top half is sprayed flat black.  Propane heater keeps it warm.  Small rear window at top of stairs has black flannel flap.  Shooting windows are at 16.5'.

Link Posted: 7/21/2014 2:42:15 PM EDT
[#3]

Here is another of my blinds (4x4') on 8' posts with metal roofing over flake board for sides and roof.  Up/down sliding windows (noisy)....plexiglass in aluminum channel.  RV door donated by neighbor.  Carpeted floor.  ATV "garage" at bottom.  Guyed with 1500 lb test cable attached to old iron fence posts driven in earth about 3 feet.

Link Posted: 7/21/2014 2:48:08 PM EDT
[#4]

Another 4x4' with 4x4' porch. Work in progress as pictured.  Stands on 10 foot 4x4's. Back of porch rail has shelf for small grill.....5 gal buckets on porch to sit and eat.  Metal roofing over old wood paneling....tip in windows....windows framed/finished with vinyl J channel, nailer side in...provides non mar surface to rest rifle.  Stairs and ATV garage added.  

Link Posted: 7/21/2014 3:00:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Also have a 4x6' box with 6 windows.  2 can fit easily.

All blinds were raised by son in law and myself with tractor loader, ATV winch, and a "come along."  Holes were dug for legs to catch in earth and blind was raised partially with loader.  Winch and come along used  to finish lifting. Blinds set on large flat stones.  After guying, blinds have been up 5 years and have survived 65 mph winds.  Seating is swivel office type chairs.  Numerous shelves and foot rails to add comfort.  Propane heaters in all.  Metal can be noisy in sleet and ice pellet storms but has not affected success as these blinds are in the woods all the time.  At temps below freezing windows fog for a time when heaters are used.  I wipe windows with towel until blind warms then fogging stops.  At temps above 32 deg F windows don't fog.  HVAC vents are used to control fresh air flow through blinds....one low and one high on opposite side.

All blinds were built in my barn, chained to loader bucket, slowly transported to site, tilted to insert legs into elevator brackets, braced, and stood up using bucket, winch, and come-along.

I hope you can get a few ideas from these posts.

I am approaching my 72nd birthday and these blinds have made continued hunting by myself and with my grandkids possible.  The tradition of hunting on our land will continue for another generation.

Many a squirrel and deer have graced our tables because of these blinds.

Link Posted: 7/21/2014 7:25:51 PM EDT
[#6]
4x6 elevated 8ft

5x5 elevated 8ft

5x6 elevated 12ft

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 6:59:48 PM EDT
[#7]
7x8, elevated 8'.

</a>" />

I thought I'd throw in some more pictures.

heater and light.
" />

urinal and light.
" />

desk and clock/temp with light.
" />

celing fan.
" />

MS paint wire diagram
" />

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 7:26:28 PM EDT
[#8]
What are the brackets called that connect the legs to the actual box? Circled in red. They look pretty sturdy, and would like to pick some up. How well do they hold up?

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 5:22:46 AM EDT
[#9]
I've seen them at Gander Mountain.

Check here:
www.shadowhunterblinds.com

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What are the brackets called that connect the legs to the actual box? Circled in red. They look pretty sturdy, and would like to pick some up. How well do they hold up?

http://imageshack.com/a/img908/8550/ec3207.jpg

View Quote

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 5:42:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Check here:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Check here:

Quoted:

http://imageshack.com/a/img908/8550/ec3207.jpg

Home Depot also carries them:

http://www.homedepot.com/b/Building-Materials-Moulding-Millwork-Columns-Accessories-Caps-Bases-Accessories/N-5yc1vZar98
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 10:52:33 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks gentlemen. I would have never guessed those were called "elevators".
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 6:03:44 PM EDT
[#12]
TAG

TRG
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 11:37:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Added photos above.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 1:59:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Added photos above.
View Quote

Nicely done.

TRG
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 6:19:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Built this one last year out of a kids play set.

Wolf
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 7:33:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Awesome thread

How much elevation should a blind at?
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 8:54:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Depends on how fore and what you want to see?   The one I built, the floor is about 8 feet off the ground.   I am looking over a 32 acre field.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 6:00:07 PM EDT
[#18]
sprintmg - what is the PVC for ?  ( behind the Heater Buddy )
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 4:56:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
sprintmg - what is the PVC for ?  ( behind the Heater Buddy )
View Quote

not sprintmg. I believe you are looking at mine.

It is 4 inch sewer pipe used to draw heat from the ceiling to the floor for more even heat distribution. Both it and the ceiling fan have 3 inch muffin fans. I was tired of my head being hot and my ass cold. This works and only draws .2 amps.

The ceiling fan can be aimed at a window to reduce condensation. Once I have things warmed up, the windows stay clean as they are thermopane.

Fred
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 6:51:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Sorry about my mix up.

Cool idea.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top