BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
POTA - Parks On The Air (Page 1 of 55)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 55
Posted: 6/13/2021 4:15:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ManiacRat]
I'll be activating a park off and on through Tuesday. If there's any interest, I'll post the frequencies and y'all can hung if ya want.
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 11:13:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By slappomatt:
I got him twice.
View Quote

I have him many many times. He is on ft8 24/7 when he gets going in the desert.
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 7:48:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Made a new portable 40M dipole for POTA.

Took one half of an L3 Harris dipole, cut that in half...... then trimmed her down to 7.2 Mhz.

If you take one and just cut it in half you will be at around 6Mhz or just  below.

Swr meter barely moves anywhere in 40m SSB.

The L3 Harris winder is cool, because it has a section on the side for a throw line.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 2:10:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Shootindave:

Took one half of an L3 Harris dipole, cut that in half...... then trimmed her down to 7.2 Mhz.

If you take one and just cut it in half you will be at around 6Mhz or just  below.

The L3 Harris winder is cool, because it has a section on the side for a throw line.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/123862/IMG_5052_jpeg-3143346.JPG
View Quote
where does one get said L3 antenna?
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 10:06:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Shootindave] [#4]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/123862/IMG_5052_jpeg-3143346.JPG

Unless you find one for very cheap in a pile of surplus, I wouldnt bother seeking one out. The wire is just a thicker version of the same thing Chameleon uses and is probably available other places.

The wire is super nice though. Does not twist and tangle, does not hold memory and is reinforced with a kevlar core.

Here is the first link I found that looks like the same exact wire.

https://www.rezantenna.com/product-page/z-kore-kevlar-antenna-wire
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 1:55:14 PM EDT
[#5]
DX Commander was selling similar wire.
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 4:36:11 PM EDT
[#6]
I got him twice.
View Quote

I just checked. I have worked K7CAR at a park 234 times.
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 8:56:54 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm at 216 as of the other day. He's always on FT8. I think I have maybe 1 or 2 phone contacts.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 12:07:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 6:19:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 11:05:08 PM EDT
[#10]
UHF and VHF - How do you do an activation on these bands? Is it ok to use the calling frequencies?

I want to activate some mountain top locations and bring some directional UHF and VHF antennas.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 11:16:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By DarkLordVader:
UHF and VHF - How do you do an activation on these bands? Is it ok to use the calling frequencies?

I want to activate some mountain top locations and bring some directional UHF and VHF antennas.
View Quote

That's exactly what you do.  You can also use repeaters to find someone willing to go simplex to make the official contact.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 11:28:13 PM EDT
[#12]
146.580 "adventure frequency" has kind of become a guard channel for places with lots of SOTA.

147.525 is popular with some folks around here.

When I try VHF, I just go to 146.520
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 12:16:22 AM EDT
[#13]
can you get a activation on various bands or does it have to be 10 per band? IE 5 on HF and 5 on VHF?
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 12:18:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Shootindave] [#14]
10 contacts on any band(s) will count as a successful activation (0000 to 2359 UTC) You can make them all on one band if you want.

There is a "goal" listed on POTA to get contacts on 10 different bands from a single park. However many activations / days it takes. The most I have is 9 bands at a single park. I need to take my wire for 160M out there before we lose the band to summer noise.

Or mod my 891 to do 60M.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 12:51:47 AM EDT
[#15]
I called on 146.52 today and like most activations, I get no reply

I promptly went back to HF

Link Posted: 3/4/2024 3:17:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Gamma762] [#16]
Or mod my 891 to do 60M.
View Quote

891 has 60m, or appears to... the 5 channels come pre-programmed in memory. They show up as center frequencies they way they are specified by regulation so they look odd.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 3:37:50 AM EDT
[#17]
Attachment Attached File

I activated during the contest and worked only one band...17m. I made 64 contacts in a little over an hour and was quite happy.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 4:04:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Gamma762] [#18]
I guess a big contest weekend is a good time to get on the WARC bands on POTA and hopefully avoid the POTA-haters.

I'm trying to get stuff together and get out there in the next month or so before farming stuff takes off, if I can ever get the fires extinguished that keep popping up.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 4:13:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: K9-Bob] [#19]
Originally Posted By Gamma762:
I guess a big contest weekend is a good time to get on the WARC bands on POTA and hopefully avoid the POTA-haters.

I'm trying to get stuff together and get out there in the next month or so before farming stuff takes off, if I can ever get the fires extinguished that keep popping up.
View Quote

This was my second activation and my wife and I had a great day outdoors. We went to park where she spent several hours taking nature photos and then she helped me set up my POTA activation.

I plan on doing more this year and hopefully I will have HF antenna set up for my vehicle soon for those days I don't want to fight the bugs and humidity.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 10:20:31 AM EDT
[#20]

View Quote

I worked a SOTA in California on 10M FM as well. That was pretty cool, I dont have many HF FM contacts.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 11:08:15 AM EDT
[#21]

View Quote

on POTA

contacts are contacts

they can me ARRL SSB contests, Field Day, WINTERHEAT, etc

I reached out to my POTA rep to confirm this

last weekend, getting them in the log was shooting fish in a barrel
( just make sure you know the contest exchange)

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 11:15:30 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 11:23:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Shootindave] [#23]
Originally Posted By RED_5:

so, while activating, if there is someone calling CQ (non-POTA) and I answer them, they can go in my log?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Colt653:

on POTA

contacts are contacts

they can me ARRL SSB contests, Field Day, WINTERHEAT, etc

I reached out to my POTA rep to confirm this

last weekend, getting them in the log was shooting fish in a barrel
( just make sure you know the contest exchange)

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/2275/IMG_0193_jpeg-3148960.JPG

so, while activating, if there is someone calling CQ (non-POTA) and I answer them, they can go in my log?

That is my understanding as well. Any simplex contact made while at the park, can be logged as a contact in POTA. On SSB there is no requirement to exchange your park number, so on this DX weekend, just work the DX...... do the ARRL exchange and let it be. Log it.

On FT8 you don't exchange your park number, so that makes sense. I don't think CW guys always exchange POTA or SOTA identifiers every time. It is kind of a SSB thing to say it every time.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 11:49:03 AM EDT
[#24]

View Quote

yep
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 1:19:50 PM EDT
[#25]

That is my understanding as well. Any simplex contact made while at the park, can be logged as a contact in POTA. On SSB there is no requirement to exchange your park number, so on this DX weekend, just work the DX...... do the ARRL exchange and let it be. Log it.

On FT8 you don't exchange your park number, so that makes sense. I don't think CW guys always exchange POTA or SOTA identifiers every time. It is kind of a SSB thing to say it every time.
View Quote

You can set your gps/grid location in ft8 to reflect the park you are in. Serious hunters will figure out where you are.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 6:31:15 PM EDT
[#26]

View Quote
On SSB I rarely say the park # unless someone asks or P2P.  I may in the first few CQ calls.  I usually self spot, so they don't need it even if they want to re-spot.  

Sometimes on digital I don't even CQ POTA if I am tired of pile-ups of domestic contacts and want to work some DX.  They all get logged in the end.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 8:11:55 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By DarkLordVader:
On SSB I rarely say the park # unless someone asks or P2P.  I may in the first few CQ calls.  I usually self spot, so they don't need it even if they want to re-spot.  

Sometimes on digital I don't even CQ POTA if I am tired of pile-ups of domestic contacts and want to work some DX.  They all get logged in the end.
View Quote

Calling CQ pota helps us that are using JTalert to alert us of a pota activator (I set mine up to say "pota" in my own voice.)  If you don't call CQ pota on digital, then I won't know to work you.  Maybe that was your point :)
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 10:08:25 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Colt653:
I called on 146.52 today and like most activations, I get no reply

I promptly went back to HF

View Quote
I got three today on 146.520 in three minutes.  I was down one power cable, or maybe I could have worked VHF more over the day.  I was perched at 3700 feet on the Blue Ridge Pkwy. The view and LOS path was impressive.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 11:13:28 PM EDT
[#29]
Around here guys will get on the local repeaters and ask folks to go to 146.52 for pota.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 12:20:26 AM EDT
[#30]
I did alright on .520 on top of Clingmans Dome.
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 10:56:24 PM EDT
[#31]

getting closer….

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 1:04:29 PM EDT
[#32]
If you're not on the POTA Discord then you probably haven't heard that all the park prefixes are getting rearranged.  US will be US, VE > CA, G/GM/GW/GI all become GB.
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 2:19:38 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By USMC2671:
If you're not on the POTA Discord then you probably haven't heard that all the park prefixes are getting rearranged.  US will be US, VE > CA, G/GM/GW/GI all become GB.
View Quote

I guess this will kill HAMRS as a reporting system. It was kind of dead as far as development goes.
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 2:26:47 PM EDT
[#34]
View Quote
Interesting. Not a big deal. But I wonder why the change.
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 3:11:43 PM EDT
[#35]
Yup. The final nail in the coffin of HAMRS unless some code is added to search POTA for park reference grid squares, like it queries QRZ for callsign  info.
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 3:20:08 PM EDT
[#36]
Here is the page that explains why.  Growth primarily.

https://docs.pota.app/docs/changes.html
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 3:24:21 PM EDT
[#37]
I was told several months ago they were gonna update the POTA map with different color dots to show which parks you’ve already worked

….still waiting

and wondering what to replace HAMRS with

My wife typically logs on my samsung tablet with her ipad keyboard

Link Posted: 3/14/2024 4:14:51 PM EDT
[#38]
I sent an email to one of the OG POTA guys that basically does it full time. I will see what he is using to log park-2-park stuff.
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 5:28:40 PM EDT
[#39]
Dude emailed me back saying he doesn't fool with logging correct park-2-park grid squares.

This seems less than ideal for my personal goals on logging.
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 5:41:00 PM EDT
[#40]
In a K8MRD video he says Jarrett will be updating HAMRS.
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 6:01:44 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By lorazepam:

I guess this will kill HAMRS as a reporting system. It was kind of dead as far as development goes.
View All Quotes

Saw a video that said it will still work
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 6:03:41 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By K0UA:

View All Quotes

HAMRS has not been updating parks for a while. There are numerous parks that it does not gather correct grid info for.

Hopefully it is updated. It is a great, simple, tool.

I will buy it from the App store if it is shown to be given update support.
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 1:51:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Shootindave] [#43]
Edit - qrt About to walk in and setup

Will be around different parks. Ssb and ft8
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 5:45:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: K9-Bob] [#44]
Attachment Attached File

Went back to the same park I activated the other day and worked 25 contacts in a half hour and then another 164 contacts immediately after for a late shift activation.

Somehow I made it to the top of the park leader board.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 9:15:39 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By K9-Bob:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/54857/K9-Bob_jpg-3160341.JPG

Went back to the same park I activated the other day and worked 25 contacts in a half hour and then another 164 contacts immediately after for a late shift activation.

View Quote

Dang, that is pretty "busy".
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 9:40:30 AM EDT
[#46]

View Quote

Yesterday was good. Took a half day and did three new parks close to me. Found a couple good fishing spots and a new place to take my Kayak. The bands were great. Even got a new DXCC entity that answered on digital. I could have burned my battery down on SSB on 20m at the first park.

Link Posted: 3/16/2024 10:23:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DarkLordVader] [#47]
Did an interesting park activation today.  13 vhf and 2 uhf contacts from 4 states. NC,TN,VA,SC

But I was only really there for the view.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/16/2024 10:37:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Colt653] [#48]
Some days,…..I miss my Jeep

SPLASH !!!

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/17/2024 3:00:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: K9-Bob] [#49]

View All Quotes

I activated again yesterday and made another 224 contacts. It was a non-stop pileup for several hours. My voice is hoarse, so I think will I need to let it rest for a few days before I try it again.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 6:15:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: K9-Bob] [#50]
Attachment Attached File

I made 38 digital contacts last night for another POTA activation and now I am half way to my Kilo Award for the park. I didn't enjoy using FT8 as I wasn't able to make as many contacts as I did with SSB.
My voice was hoarse from my previous marathon activations and so I decided to give FT8 a try, but making only 38 contacts in two hours was rather disappointing.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 55
POTA - Parks On The Air (Page 1 of 55)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top