Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/20/2016 3:12:07 AM EDT
I have invested a lot into this hobby over the years, thinking I would enjoy having top of the line radios and "big gun" antennas. I did enjoy it a lot. Unfortunately, life is like a box of chocolates......  Due to health problems can't enjoy it like I used to.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 4:16:22 AM EDT
[#1]
I dunno, "health problems" and hf seem to go together.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 6:20:47 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

I have invested a lot into this hobby over the years, thinking I would enjoy having top of the line radios and "big gun" antennas. I did enjoy it a lot. Unfortunately, life is like a box of chocolates......  Due to health problems can't enjoy it like I used to.
View Quote
Sorry to hear about your health issues. That is a shame.

I really have not done much of anything in the hobby this year.  Mostly do to the poor band conditions, and the fact that other things (work, etc) just have taken all my time.

Is there any possibility that the health issues will abate, if so, you might want to just hold on to things.  As I know once I get more time, I will get another spurt of interest and be glad all the equipment is still there.

Link Posted: 10/20/2016 7:11:27 AM EDT
[#3]
There's nothing wrong with making changes. If something isn't working out for you, no sense in having a bunch of money tied up in it. Maybe it just means downsizing or totally re-evaluating what you value, and what you want to do in life. I LOVE riding motorcycles, but I sold my bike a few years ago because family and budget priorities came first, and it just wasn't practical anymore. I'll probably get another bike in the future, but it was smarter for me to sell now, while it still had decent resale value, than cling on to it and let it sit for 10 years losing all its value.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 4:31:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I dunno, "health problems" and hf seem to go together.
View Quote

Exactly. I developed ham radio as one of my hobbies for precisely this reason. Right now my focus is getting smarter and building more infrastructure for that day when my final ham radio purchase will be the Hover-Round. To think that I would ever be so infirm as to not be able to operate ham radio is a bit scary. Here's hoping that things improve for you, Gyprat!

Link Posted: 10/20/2016 4:35:00 PM EDT
[#5]

this makes me sad.

Remote Shack from the house vs. walking out to the Shack?  Lemmie know if I can help in any way!

maybe take a break and let it sit for a few weeks.....
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 4:48:43 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm really sorry to hear this, Gyprat.

I agree that there is nothing wrong with making changes as necessary, but it would be a loss to the ham radio community if you dropped out.  Maybe things will look different if you give it a little more time.  

Here's hoping you get better soon!
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 5:33:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Sure do hope you reconsider and just take some time to get well.  We don't want to lose the wealth of knowledge and sanity you always bring to the hobby, my friend!  
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 5:56:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Hate to hear that.  We should really try to work more on 75m.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 8:00:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Seems like only yesterday you were getting your tower up. I wonder sometimes, if under the same circumstances, it all becomes too easy.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 11:06:28 PM EDT
[#10]
I don't know you friend, but I hope things improve for you very soon.

If you feel the need to scale back, do that - don't just let it go. It seems from your posts I've read that you have gotten a good deal of enjoyment from this pursuit over the years. In tough times, you need something to look forward to. Don't completely let go of something that has brought you joy.

Good health is something I fear we can never fully appreciate until it is threatened. I've got a surgery ahead of me in a couple of weeks, and they're going to keep me in the meat locker for a few days. My, how I am going to miss tinkering around the "radio room!"

Wishing you well...   Jim
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 9:03:59 AM EDT
[#11]

I know the feeling and I did sell it all in the past (all except for a power supply).

I don't get on the air much lately and I've been tempted to sell off all my gear a few times. but I realize
how hard I worked to build it up and realize I may not have the chance to build a nice station again.

So no real harm in keeping it and firing it up ever once in a while.

So unless I really need the money I'm planning on hanging on to it all.

Link Posted: 10/21/2016 9:23:29 AM EDT
[#12]
Sorry to hear about your health problems, Gyprat.

Maybe just scale back a bit but keep a couple radios. Besides, judging by what I hear on the local repeaters, health issues are all that they discuss.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 10:38:49 AM EDT
[#13]

I hope you get/feel better.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 12:38:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Best wishes for improving health and many more years operating.
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 1:30:25 AM EDT
[#15]
Hang in there
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 12:39:22 PM EDT
[#16]
I pray that your health improves and that you stay in the hobby.  Blessing upon you and your family for the future.  
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 11:25:00 PM EDT
[#17]
I have not been on this site much lately and figured not many members would remember who Gypsum Rat was. You proved me wrong.
Yea, its been tough lately but I don't give up easy although it's hard to enjoy the hobby when I don't feel good. Thankfully the weather has been amazingly good lately. I love cold weather.

Thanks for the encouraging words guys. THIS MEANS A LOT TO ME. I only met SCWolverine in person but feel like I know you all very well.
I read all the replies and headed for the ham shack this evening. Got my amplifier warmed up and have worked several nice DX on 40 meters, switched to 80 meters and have been snooping around the band for a while. 40m Yagi at 75 feet and a kilowatt makes it interesting, even when propagation is crappy. I'll try to do this more often.

Link Posted: 10/24/2016 11:42:25 PM EDT
[#18]
As one of my old mentors used to say, "good on 'ya laddie!"

Be well amigo!   Jim...
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 12:24:22 AM EDT
[#19]
As the others said, I hope you feel better.  I don't know you but I think you can overcome this.  Best of luck, and good DX in the meantime!
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 8:11:17 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 6:58:25 AM EDT
[#21]
Glad to hear you are feeling better!!  Great news.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top