Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/29/2015 11:47:01 AM EDT
Wanting to pick up one of the baofeng radios but there are so many models out there it's confusing.

Best I can tell the bf-f8hp is the latest? It's the sand as the uv5p but 8 watts instead of 4.5 right? It's almost double the price of the 5 so is it worth getting it?

If I'm way of can you send be the link on Amazon in which I should get?

Thanks
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 12:24:19 PM EDT
[#1]

Come see me and I will let you borrow one.

No, the extra wattage is mostly bunkus into the crappy rubber duck antennas these things come with.

Did you get your license?
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 12:32:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Which one should I order then? Got an Anson gift card that needs used up.

No license yet, but it's on my list for this year.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 1:13:39 PM EDT
[#3]
A ton of discussion on the Baofengs here.

I'm a new ham and bought a pair of HT's. Multiple cables, chirp and Boafeng software, and I still can't get the damn things to talk to a computer.

That issue alone makes me regret not spending a little more.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 1:39:51 PM EDT
[#4]

I dunno, the last ones I bought were the GT3, cause they were supposed to be waterproof.

They're

NOT!
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 1:50:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A ton of discussion on the Baofengs here.

I'm a new ham and bought a pair of HT's. Multiple cables, chirp and Boafeng software, and I still can't get the damn things to talk to a computer.

That issue alone makes me regret not spending a little more.
View Quote

I have 2 Baofeng UV5RAs, a Yaesu HT and an Icom HT and Chirp works very well and easily with them all.

Having the correct cable for each HT type is crucial and once you install the drivers for the cable for the first time, you need to restart your computer for it to work. Don't know exactly why, but you do (or at least I had to). For Windows computers, each cable will also install on a separate COM port, so be sure to pick the right radio and COM port in Chirp.

Good Luck
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 3:08:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Buy the cheapest one. Don't worry about all the other crap or models. The cheapest one. Use it until you understand what you hate about it and buy a name brand one with that knowledge. You'll still carry the cheap one around half the time. You want to spend the money for the higher power one? Buy two of the cheap ones instead.

Buy the cheap one.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 3:24:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 3:38:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 4:26:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I'd go with a UV-B5 personally, the second jog knob/VFO knob is much more convenient than grabbing the radio to look at the keypad if you're walking or driving.  Even just for the up-down buttons,.

View Quote

Seconded, also because the UV-B5 has a significantly better receiver and antenna

PD0AC's review with tech figures
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 5:35:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Seconded, also because the UV-B5 has a significantly better receiver and antenna

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'd go with a UV-B5 personally, the second jog knob/VFO knob is much more convenient than grabbing the radio to look at the keypad if you're walking or driving.  Even just for the up-down buttons,.

This and That.

http://amateurradio15.com/21/

eta: link for B5
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 5:42:22 PM EDT
[#11]
The ones made by ICOM.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 6:37:40 PM EDT
[#12]
I'd order the cheapest one that works with all the standard accessories.  Forget about laying out for the extra 8W.  You're going to want a nagoya antenna for your 4W version.  That'll have more output than the 8W version with the stock antenna.  Or if you want to lay out the $$, the 8W version plus the new antenna.  But if it's not about the money, then get the icom version :)
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 9:21:38 AM EDT
[#13]
So just so i understand what I am reading:

Uv-b5 latest third gen
Uv-5r* most popular, most accessories but second gen

In that case uvb5 is the only one people should be buying now right?
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 9:35:12 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
So just so i understand what I am reading:

Uv-b5 latest third gen
Uv-5r* most popular, most accessories but second gen

In that case uvb5 is the only one people should be buying now right?
View Quote

B5 been around a while too, but not as long as 5R
most of the marketing crap on Amazon is lies/lies/lies :)

3rd Gen B5 is a nice way to say, we just unpacked from the Container......

5R is a different little beast...with lots of accessories but no VFO knob

if you like accessories or colors, go 5R.  If you want the best sub-$30 Chi-com HT on Amazon...go B5!
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 11:19:51 AM EDT
[#15]
You're not kidding. Ever other add contradicts the pros one on Amazon! I can't even really find a good comparison of the models.

Knowing practically nothing about radios it looks on the surface that the 5r's look to have more features.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 5:27:12 PM EDT
[#16]
There isn't a really good comparison. If you get a 5r you have the most common type.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 8:21:10 PM EDT
[#17]
I have the UV5R and its a good little radio, you can't go wrong with this one. Family wanted to get me something for Father's Day so I had them get me the BF F8HP. Its a nice radio as well but I am not sure the 3 extra watts is worth $30 extra, in the end I should have had them get me 2 more UV5R's. I do like the extended battery they got me with the F8HP as it give me something more to hold onto. For your first radio get either one of these radio's then if you want to upgrade to something different you have a cheap beater radio to leave in a rig or take out in the rain. Which ever way you go you can't go wrong with these radio's for the price.

One thing I would tell you is get a programing cable but don't worry about there programing software as the free CHIRP software is better then the factory stuff. I would also suggest picking up the better antenna when you order the radio.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 9:27:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
You're not kidding. Ever other add contradicts the pros one on Amazon! I can't even really find a good comparison of the models.

Knowing practically nothing about radios it looks on the surface that the 5r's look to have more features.
View Quote

5R has one knob...Volume

B5 has two knobs....Volume and VFO/Selector
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 12:01:50 AM EDT
[#19]
I too tried to make sens of this quandary.  here is a chart straight from the Baofeng Tech website regarding the various units pros/cons.

PDF Link
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 12:33:57 AM EDT
[#20]

Couldn't just borrow the damn radio long enough to determine interest.

So difficult.

You need to come up to the QTH, hang out and have some beers, and watch me work the radio...that will convince you.

Heck, just for fun we can hook a UV5R to the 1/4 wave and work some repeaters.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 1:08:12 AM EDT
[#21]
The larger optional battery packs available for the 5R are nice.

AFAIK, nobody makes any optional packs for the B5.

OTOH, $25-$30 will get you a genuine Baofeng spare battery for your B5 - along with a spare B5, antenna and charger - all packed in the same shipping box...

Baofeng seems to be making minor improvements to the B5 as they go. Recent builds have a smoother volume control that actually goes all the way to zero, a speech synthesizer that speaks English without any hint of an Asian accent, and a backlight on/off button.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 1:59:36 AM EDT
[#22]
I want a couple of the new Baofeng BF-235 radios to test. They look pretty good.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 7:03:16 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Couldn't just borrow the damn radio long enough to determine interest.

So difficult.

You need to come up to the QTH, hang out and have some beers, and watch me work the radio...that will convince you.

Heck, just for fun we can hook a UV5R to the 1/4 wave and work some repeaters.
View Quote

Let me get through July and I'm going to take you up on that.  Until I get everything cleared up this month I'm not having any extra time past what I can research on my phone.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 7:38:00 AM EDT
[#24]
Chart is Fail, doesn't show the b5 at all (or others)......Guess Baofeng Tech (the Termin-8R peeps) don't import that model.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 12:26:31 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

Brick 'o Lore is probably the best expert on ChiCom radios.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 3:51:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Chart is Fail, doesn't show the b5 at all (or others)......Guess Baofeng Tech (the Termin-8R peeps) don't import that model.
View Quote

And the chart tries to point you to all the "8" models. I'm calling marketing propaganda.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 9:15:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

And the chart tries to point you to all the "8" models. I'm calling marketing propaganda.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm new to this game and just re-posting what their site had.  I didn't even know about the radios outside the the UV-5R category.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 9:17:34 PM EDT
[#28]
we not knocking you but the Baofeng Tech "Chart"....

ETA: baofeng tech aka anytone tech has a less than stellar rep right now....long story....either way order something
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 7:35:54 AM EDT
[#29]
A lot of good info here. I have several Baofengs...and like them all except the BF-F8. Receive was terrible, and holy cow it got hot. It would DEFAULT to the highest power option mid contact...

Carry a UV82 in my squad alongside a UV5R with an extended battery and a Nagoya...

Guys in the local club enjoy poking fun at my Chinese "toys"

If you absolutely feel the need to go with MORE power....get an amplifier...but hey, to me it is all in the antenna... :D
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 5:13:49 PM EDT
[#30]
I've got 3 UV5Rs, 1 BF-F8+ (upgraded chipset from the UV5R but no high power), and 2 BF-888s.  Didn't feel like blowing money on the HP model so I just bought the F8+ when I was buying another to add to the collection last time.

They have all served me well and my oldest one has been on motorcycle duty for a long time now being exposed to the elements daily.  

If you can't get them to talk to a computer the most common cause of this is the radio side plug isn't fitting into the radio right.  There's a few write ups on this around the web.  

Link Posted: 7/19/2015 6:19:30 PM EDT
[#31]
Does anyone have any info on the UV-82 series being more "rugged" than the UV-5R?

I'm not looking to go scuba diving with it. FWIW, I am desperately trying to find an "upgrade" to my UV-5R, but nothing comes close to what Baofeng is offering. I'd love a UV-5R with more "bombproof" environmental protection and better mic/ptt inputs...
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 6:32:13 PM EDT
[#32]
I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that the best Baofeng is the FT-60.
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 9:45:02 AM EDT
[#33]
Yep, I have 4-5 UV82's and love em. No complaints at all...MUCH more rugged than the 5R, but the belt clip lacks some love...
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 10:12:17 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that the best Baofeng is the FT-60.
View Quote

LOL
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 12:32:59 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Yep, I have 4-5 UV82's and love em. No complaints at all...MUCH more rugged than the 5R, but the belt clip lacks some love...
View Quote

Thanks for the confirmation.

Have the Mic/PTT jacks been holding up for you?
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 1:24:25 PM EDT
[#36]
The B5/B6 models are the best performing out of the Baofengs, actually a pretty decent radio. They also have a good stock antenna so saves you the common upgrade that many buy for the others.

Also has good battery life, got through a 15 hour shift on a single battery charge on the B5, which the 5R can't do.
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 1:56:39 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No issues whatsoever to report. MUCH more solid than the 5R jacks. Just be sure that when you are programming them you seat the cable completely...if thats an issue, its the only one!
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 6:01:23 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

No issues whatsoever to report. MUCH more solid than the 5R jacks. Just be sure that when you are programming them you seat the cable completely...if thats an issue, its the only one!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks again for the help.

I currently have a handful of UV5Rs that can always get thrown into an ammo can for post-apocalyptic cockroach duty.

I'm looking to upgrade to either the UV-82 or the Puxing PX-888K. Without doing research, my cable should still work with the UV-82, as well as antennas, remote mics/etc...

I have given up waiting on the TERMN-8R and the OBlTR-8R to ever hit the shelves.
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 9:33:48 PM EDT
[#39]
while the 82 feels better in my hand, In my Opinion, it's not as good a rig as the UVB5.....YMMV

wrote a little ditty about it right here
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 4:36:13 PM EDT
[#40]
No experience with the UVB5, but I have read good things about them...
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 6:47:53 PM EDT
[#41]
I have a couple UV-5R, an 82x, and a UV-B6.  I like the B6 the best by far.  If they made a B6 that did 220 the 82x would be gone.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 10:26:05 PM EDT
[#42]
For $24 I couldn't resist buying a UV-B5. Once again, this forum costs me money...

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 10:32:36 PM EDT
[#43]
Where did you find one for $24?
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 2:12:58 AM EDT
[#44]
My issue with the non UV-5R/BF-F8+ and HP models is that they don't take the UV5R accessories which there seems to be more of in the line of batteries and what not.  With the mini fleet of 5Rs and BFs I have now I can't add the "complexity" of extra models/batteries/chargers unless it offers me some kind of big advantage over the other ones.  I might buy a UV-82X just to be able to do 220 band but other than that I'll stick with the 5Rs just for commonality.  

If I were to travel back in time I might start out with UV-82s or B5s and have a small fleet of those :)
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 3:27:20 AM EDT
[#45]
I'm in the same boat. I've got 5 BF-F8+ with additional antennas, batteries, etc.

I would be thrilled if Baofeng would set a battery standard. The large battery for the UV-5R variants is phenomenal.

If Baofeng would make an IPX-rated UV-5R derivative with more memory, a better front end, and voice inversion I would buy them hand over fist.

Quoted:
My issue with the non UV-5R/BF-F8+ and HP models is that they don't take the UV5R accessories which there seems to be more of in the line of batteries and what not.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/22/2015 8:40:08 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I'm in the same boat. I've got 5 BF-F8+ with additional antennas, batteries, etc.

I would be thrilled if Baofeng would set a battery standard. The large battery for the UV-5R variants is phenomenal.

If Baofeng would make an IPX-rated UV-5R derivative with more memory, a better front end, and voice inversion I would buy them hand over fist.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
My issue with the non UV-5R/BF-F8+ and HP models is that they don't take the UV5R accessories which there seems to be more of in the line of batteries and what not.

If you can type that sentence and understand what it means, it's time to move onto a big-boy radio.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 11:12:47 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

If you can type that sentence and understand what it means, it's time to move onto a big-boy radio.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 7/22/2015 11:54:13 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Exactly...
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 2:41:25 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Where did you find one for $24?
View Quote

U.S. Shipper on Amazon right now
Baofeng 2013 Newest UV-B5 Dual Band VHF and UHF Walkie Talkie, 5-watt, Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ESY3P4W/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_.m-Rvb1FYBXJH
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 4:16:54 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top