Posted: 9/29/2014 11:16:21 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 3:16:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: K9-Bob] [#1]
Delete
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 3:17:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By M4Madness:

Well, I assume that if you replied on your frequency and not theirs that they are indeed running MSHV, otherwise they wouldn't have heard your signal report.

I saw where the upcoming Juan Fernandez DXpedition will be using two call signs, with one running MSHV and the other F/H.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By K9-Bob:

I bounce up to around 2900 and worked them using MSHV.

Well, I assume that if you replied on your frequency and not theirs that they are indeed running MSHV, otherwise they wouldn't have heard your signal report.

I saw where the upcoming Juan Fernandez DXpedition will be using two call signs, with one running MSHV and the other F/H.

I tried F/H at first, but switched to MSHV and had them logged shortly afterwards.
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 4:15:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HogSniper] [#3]
I worked TX5S just now on 17m & tried MSHV but he just sent my signal report twice, so I had to drop down to his freq & reply for my RR73. So I guess he's using Fox Hound mode at the moment. Either that or he just didn't copy my fist 2 replies.
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 4:38:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By HogSniper:
I worked TX5S just now on 17m & tried MSHV but he just sent my signal report twice, so I had to drop down to his freq & reply for my RR73. So I guess he's using Fox Hound mode at the moment. Either that or he just didn't copy my fist 2 replies.
View Quote

It may be how I have MSHV set up compared to yours, but whatever it takes to make the contact.
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 4:43:10 PM EDT
[#5]
NEWS UPDATE by K5GS @ 1755z (JANUARY 20)

We know many of you are anxiously waiting for us to come up more bands / modes. Here are the facts:

–  At the moment, the WX is not good for landing more people / equipment on the island.

– The boat is rocking and rolling, a few team mates are feeling the effects of the motion.

– We had to stop sending over equipment when the seas became too dangerous.

– Yesterday one of the supply boats was swamped at the reef and a food resupply was lost. Also lost were some support equipment (not radio).

– The team on the island has the main operating tent and 6 sleeping tents installed, they have food, water and petrol. They have 4 monoband VDAs installed.

– Unfortunately, not all the RF kits made it over yet, life support kits were the priority.

– Live Stream will be activated when we get more than the minimal equipment to the island.

– We’ll upload the logs to ClubLog and to M0URX sometime today.

– We’re monitoring DXSummit and see the pirate spots and the usual comments / rumors.

– We are using WSJT-X in F/H mode – call above 1000hz
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 4:49:33 PM EDT
[#6]
28.302 7Q6M Don in Malawi. North American QSO party - needs name and state
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 5:10:30 PM EDT
[#7]
NEWS UPDATE by K5GS @ 1755z (JANUARY 20)

We know many of you are anxiously waiting for us to come up more bands / modes. Here are the facts:

–  At the moment, the WX is not good for landing more people / equipment on the island.

– The boat is rocking and rolling, a few team mates are feeling the effects of the motion.

– We had to stop sending over equipment when the seas became too dangerous.

– Yesterday one of the supply boats was swamped at the reef and a food resupply was lost. Also lost were some support equipment (not radio).

– The team on the island has the main operating tent and 6 sleeping tents installed, they have food, water and petrol. They have 4 monoband VDAs installed.

– Unfortunately, not all the RF kits made it over yet, life support kits were the priority.

– Live Stream will be activated when we get more than the minimal equipment to the island.

– We’ll upload the logs to ClubLog and to M0URX sometime today.

– We’re monitoring DXSummit and see the pirate spots and the usual comments / rumors.

– We are using WSJT-X in F/H mode – call above 1000hz
View Quote

Sounds like a Bovet style DXpedition....unprepared along with weather and seas kicking their ass.
Link Posted: 1/21/2024 9:32:54 AM EDT
[#8]
TX5S on Clipperton Island on 14.195 listening 5 to 10 up.

Got him in less than a half dozen calls.
Link Posted: 1/21/2024 11:05:07 AM EDT
[#9]

View Quote

Just bagged him. Took me a while.
Link Posted: 1/21/2024 11:13:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: HogSniper] [#10]

View Quote

Took me 3 calls SSB but it was 9:21 UTC, not very many after him that early in the day. Just logged them on 15m FT8, that makes 3 bands now. Not an ATNO for me, but nice to fill some band slots. They are definitely using Fox/Hound mode on FT8.
Link Posted: 1/21/2024 12:06:58 PM EDT
[#11]

View Quote

I tried for a long time late last night (SSB) but he never heard me.

Just got him this morning!
Link Posted: 1/21/2024 4:10:57 PM EDT
[#12]
TX5S on 28.485 listening up
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 10:13:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SACraig] [#13]
The Log Search tool on Clublog for TX5S shows that there were 24,168 QSO's logged between 01-20-2024 at 0213Z and 01-22-2024 at 13:54.  That works out to 6.75 QSO's per minute for the past 2 days.  I'm sure things will slow down toward the end of their 14-day stay on the island but I'd hate to try to keep up with 7 QSO's a minute even for a little while.

I didn't even bother listening to them on SSB but CW was a nightmare.  A good OP handling things but he was absolutely covered up with people calling.  FT8 was easy, I sent my callsign a few times then sat back and waited for him to call me back.  It still took just under an hour for his call but that's what TV's are for.  I watched a movie and threw my callsign back into the mix every 10 minutes or so.

Link Posted: 1/22/2024 12:01:26 PM EDT
[#14]
5 stream MSHV adds up fast.
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 12:20:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Emoto] [#15]
Originally Posted By SACraig:
The Log Search tool on Clublog for TX5S shows that there were 24,168 QSO's logged between 01-20-2024 at 0213Z and 01-22-2024 at 13:54.  That works out to 6.75 QSO's per minute for the past 2 days.  I'm sure things will slow down toward the end of their 14-day stay on the island but I'd hate to try to keep up with 7 QSO's a minute even for a little while.

I didn't even bother listening to them on SSB but CW was a nightmare.  A good OP handling things but he was absolutely covered up with people calling.  FT8 was easy, I sent my callsign a few times then sat back and waited for him to call me back.  It still took just under an hour for his call but that's what TV's are for.  I watched a movie and threw my callsign back into the mix every 10 minutes or so.

View Quote

I was on 10M Phone and 20M Phone long enough to hear several different operators. Most were excellent operators who were very good about saying their call and where they were listening. Unfortunately, there was one operator who rarely gave the call or mentioned where he was listening, which didn't help clue in the people who didn't grasp that he was working split. Ironically, he was the one I finally made a QSO on 10M with.
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 1:56:22 PM EDT
[#16]
28.485 5 or 10 up

Asking for canada only now. Maybe run through the US by the numbers next hopefully. I need some help with less callers. My peanut station needs help.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 7:21:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: K9-Bob] [#17]
Attachment Attached File

I played way too much radio the past 24 hours chasing TX5S.

Four FT8, three CW, and one SSB contacts for the win.

Just look all of the white beach sand on this brand new Elecraft K4 being used on Clipperton.....WOW.  

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/23/2024 9:53:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: HogSniper] [#18]
Originally Posted By K9-Bob:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/54857/Screenshot_2024-01-23_051941_png-3104275.JPG

I played way too much radio the past 24 hours chasing TX5S.

Four FT8, three CW, and one SSB contacts for the win.

View Quote

Been trying to get over the flu so I spent a lot of time in front of the rig myself.

* Geez, they need to wipe that friggin K4 off! *

They have been booming on 40m CW here, but no joy. They were working Asia mostly. Will try them again on 40m when things cool down possibly.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 10:36:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: M4Madness] [#19]

I have a full-time job, so I've only squeaked out 10 contacts so far. Lol!  I did manage one SSB and two CW contacts in less than 40 minutes last night after work. I've worked them on every band/mode that I've seem them on. I don't normally use 30M or 40M unless it's an ATNO, so nothing for those slots.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 10:52:06 AM EDT
[#20]
I tried on 12m FT8 and 10m SSB on my lunch breaks. No joy yet. My time has been pretty limited. I tried on ssb for over an hour but there were big guns on there.

He never broke down the US to smaller segments yesterday while I was listening; but I think a lot of 100W Canadian stations got in the log.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 10:53:48 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Shootindave:
He never broke down the US to smaller segments yesterday while I was listening; but I think a lot of 100W Canadian stations got in the log.
View Quote

Calling by regional numbers would certainly be a huge help.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 10:59:16 AM EDT
[#22]

View All Quotes

In their defense; every time an effort was made to limit regions like Canada; the jammers would come unglued and start blasting the frequ in an autistic fit.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 2:57:03 PM EDT
[#23]
There was a a big thread about the split frequency hall monitors in the FB Ham Radio Operators group. Eventually, comments were turned off. So, I started a new thread with...

I wonder if these are available commercially?

My post was taken down by admins within a few minutes and I received a warning.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 3:04:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Bro........ I just witnesses a 5 day long back-and-forth email string on a ham reflector telling stories of becoming the president of their HOAs and how great they are. My lord.

If I did not monitor the emails for cheap used gear for sale I would have unsubscribed from this nonsense years ago.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 5:02:14 PM EDT
[#25]
24.955 TX5S listening 15 up!
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 5:04:25 PM EDT
[#26]
Called on 12m for an hour. I am gunna hang up trying SSB until I can get over to my dad's house and fire up an amp.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 7:30:59 PM EDT
[#27]
Called on 12m for an hour. I am gunna hang up trying SSB until I can get over to my dad's house and fire up an amp.
View Quote

I got them on 12M SSB on the second call this afternoon,  then proceeded to take exactly one hour to get them  on 17M SSB a moment ago! And that one hour was spent with 600 watts. I sympathize with anyone trying to break their pile-ups barefoot.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 7:53:30 PM EDT
[#28]
I got TX8S on 20m FT8 this morning, then later got a response on 10m but never a RR73.  Then tried SSB for awhile, pretty futile from my truck with 100w at best. Even I can hear at least 50 other stations calling them.  Their SSB signals weren't as strong as yesterday.
Link Posted: 1/24/2024 4:00:33 PM EDT
[#29]
Somehow I'm able to hear TX5S 59 at home on 12m.  My G5RV Jr tunes it OK so I was calling for about a hour, trying different freqs because he's listening all over.  Finally I just got in my truck with a hamstick and drove a few hundred yards down the road to my usual radio spot.  Got through after just a few calls once stopped. Hamstick FTW.    

Also got them on 60m FT8 about 0430z.
Link Posted: 1/24/2024 4:12:01 PM EDT
[#30]
TX5S  24.955   up 5
Link Posted: 1/24/2024 4:25:36 PM EDT
[#31]
Finally got them on ssb. 5 up is QRMed right  now. I got in 10 up.
Link Posted: 1/24/2024 4:46:56 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Emoto:
There was a a big thread about the split frequency hall monitors in the FB Ham Radio Operators group. Eventually, comments were turned off. So, I started a new thread with...

I wonder if these are available commercially?
https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-cj57NfWiwGI/UI2B85ZaAII/AAAAAAAAF-M/375dhGmPULE/s320/halloween+party+2.jpg

My post was taken down by admins within a few minutes and I received a warning.
View Quote

Once someone was walking on a DX station and the usual culprits were being the DX Police. The guy walking on it didn't understand what was wrong.

Finally I got a flash of inspiration.

"DX POLICE! XX?XXX Drop down 5, please. I have your call and I don't want to write you up. Drop 5."

He must have been a newbie because he did drop down.

I told him why the DX couldn't hear him and how to set up for a split.

"Gee! Thanks!  Are you going to write me up?"

"No. I'd rather help a nice guy like you rather then write him up."

He actually seeemed to believe that there really was a DX Police.
Link Posted: 1/24/2024 5:02:48 PM EDT
[#33]
Working split on the 891 is not terrible but not great.

Unless there is a better way than hitting the A/B button constantly. It might be hidden way down in the menu or something
Link Posted: 1/24/2024 5:46:44 PM EDT
[#34]

Unless there is a better way than hitting the A/B button constantly.
View Quote

Uh, yeah.  Press the F button then turn the selector knob to SPL, then hold down whichever A/B/C button you want to use to enable/disable split.
Link Posted: 1/24/2024 5:53:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Shootindave] [#35]
Originally Posted By USMC2671:

Uh, yeah.  Press the F button then turn the selector knob to SPL, then hold down whichever A/B/C button you want to use to enable/disable split.
View All Quotes

Unless there is a better way than hitting the A/B button constantly.

If SPL is selected does it use VFO A as receive and VFO B as the transmit?

That seems considerably easier than hitting A/B for an hour.
Link Posted: 1/24/2024 6:31:06 PM EDT
[#36]

View Quote

Yes
Link Posted: 1/26/2024 3:39:35 PM EDT
[#37]
14.216 EL2EF Liberia.
Link Posted: 1/26/2024 5:03:26 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Emoto:
14.216 EL2EF Liberia.
View Quote

He sent me his card almost instantly. IIRC he has a stateside QSL manager.

He's one of the Good Guys.
Link Posted: 1/26/2024 5:06:53 PM EDT
[#39]

Yes
View All Quotes

Yes

And if you set it up backwards just hit the A/B button once quickly and it'll work perfectly.
Link Posted: 1/26/2024 5:26:09 PM EDT
[#40]
Icom IC7300 A to Z #16 Split Frequency Operation & Transmit Bandwidth
Link Posted: 1/26/2024 5:45:52 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By piccolo:

He sent me his card almost instantly. IIRC he has a stateside QSL manager.

He's one of the Good Guys.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/26/2024 5:55:41 PM EDT
[#42]

Unless there is a better way than hitting the A/B button constantly. It might be hidden way down in the menu or something
View Quote

Five CLEVER things you didn't know the FT-891 did #hamradioqa

Quick Spit 12:26 on the video.
Link Posted: 1/26/2024 5:59:44 PM EDT
[#43]
TX5S 24.955 up 5 NA ONLY NOW.

Easy peasy. 2nd try.
Link Posted: 1/27/2024 12:46:53 PM EDT
[#44]

Easy peasy. 2nd try.
View Quote

I was frustrated with TX5S yesterday. Heard them on 10, 15 and 17. The kept saying "working up". Well there were pileups 5 up, 10 up and 15 up trying to respond. There were ham police on the calling frequency that kept saying "he's 15 up idiots" to the guys that were not responding split.
Link Posted: 1/27/2024 8:37:38 PM EDT
[#45]
18.120 BY2AA China. Part of the World Wide Award 2024 thing.
Link Posted: 1/27/2024 11:29:29 PM EDT
[#46]
I was receiving Asia in a way I never do while POTA/WFD earlier.  Even managed to get a FT8 QSO with 8A0RARI.  I didn't think that was going to be possible.
Link Posted: 1/28/2024 1:24:53 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By tyrex13:

I was frustrated with TX5S yesterday. Heard them on 10, 15 and 17. The kept saying "working up". Well there were pileups 5 up, 10 up and 15 up trying to respond. There were ham police on the calling frequency that kept saying "he's 15 up idiots" to the guys that were not responding split.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By tyrex13:

Easy peasy. 2nd try.

Chasing DX is blood sport and brings out all of the bad actors.

Timing is everything when you call  the DX and many times I will sit for hours to make one contact.

The more rare the DX, the worse it gets.

Operating DX Hints Chris Hurlbut 2024

Link Posted: 1/28/2024 10:57:09 AM EDT
[#48]
Was anyone able to get a ClubLog QSL request to go through for T32TT for December 2023?

I am "in the log". However, when I insert the date/time ClubLog says my QSO is not there. This was Ft8, so the date/time was automatically logged for me. I tried +/- some time and nothing helped.
Link Posted: 1/28/2024 11:06:33 AM EDT
[#49]
Was anyone able to get a ClubLog QSL request to go through for T32TT for December 2023?

I am "in the log". However, when I insert the date/time ClubLog says my QSO is not there. This was Ft8, so the date/time was automatically logged for me. I tried +/- some time and nothing helped.
View Quote

I was.  QSO's on 12/19 and 12/30.  No problems that I recall and I have gotten LoTW from both of them.
Link Posted: 1/28/2024 12:36:52 PM EDT
[#50]

I was.  QSO's on 12/19 and 12/30.  No problems that I recall and I have gotten LoTW from both of them.
View All Quotes

Interesting. I cant get mine to confirm, even though it is cross checking with their log. Of course I cant see the date/time on their end. Not sure how my WSJTX would have got that wrong.

In other DX news, if you wait a few months to order QSL cards and do like 15-20 $5 purchases on a Sunday. Your bank might lock out your card for suspicious activity and you get some DX cell phone QSOs to India for an hour to unlock it.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 60
Tacked DX Spotting Here (Page 1 of 60)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top