Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/31/2014 12:52:26 AM EDT
Just a FYI, since i know others here pre-ordered, mine showed up in today's mail and I was
backordered on 4/22/2014... so the wait is ended!
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 1:55:50 AM EDT
[#1]
It's neat and the 20 MHz of bandwidth is amazing.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 2:08:07 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm really interested to hear how well it stacks up to what it claims to do.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 2:51:18 AM EDT
[#3]
It does what it says it does. I've had one since the beginning of the month and it's a blast. Learning gnuradio is a steep climb but for general receive sdr# and sdrconsole are great. A good outside antenna is a must. If you live in a high rf area some band filtering will likely be needed too. I can receive just about anything with the right antenna.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 7:22:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

1- Who knew Josh lurked the ham forum? Time to turn my tin foil rhetoric up.

2- I am pretty set on getting on. I also really like the bladeRF. I am waiting to see if anything crazy arises with the hackRF.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 7:25:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

2- I am pretty set on getting on. I also really like the bladeRF. I am waiting to see if anything crazy arises with the hackRF.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It was well tested for a long time before release. It seems rock solid so far.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 7:29:07 AM EDT
[#6]
I met Mike at Dayton. It is a great device but look at what the community was able to do with the RTL. I remember buying on before Osmocon* packaged everything, it has come so far.

I'm also waiting to see real world HF specs. The specs listed are higher that what some say it will do. Mike was talking about tuning 10MC WWV at one point.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 1:04:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
It does what it says it does. I've had one since the beginning of the month and it's a blast. Learning gnuradio is a steep climb but for general receive sdr# and sdrconsole are great. A good outside antenna is a must. If you live in a high rf area some band filtering will likely be needed too. I can receive just about anything with the right antenna.
View Quote

How frequency stable is it? That was the problem I was always having RTL's.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 4:36:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm an old specwar comm guy, what can I say?  I've been following hakshop for a while, and I have a bunch of their stuff.  Working on my MS in information assurance...  

I want one of these eventually.  I just have no way to do anything with it right now.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 9:20:17 PM EDT
[#9]
I am waiting till someone tries it with PowerSDR_mrx and uses multiple receiver slices. To suit my needs I need a receiver that can support this.

It as enough bandwidth to cover the bands I need to cover.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 12:01:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I am waiting till someone tries it with PowerSDR_mrx and uses multiple receiver slices. To suit my needs I need a receiver that can support this.

View Quote

Me: How many bands?

SandHillsHillbilly: All of them
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 12:21:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lets just say the first 2MHz of 6 and 2 meters to start with. Just want to watch for band openings and spotting during openings. It can be done with multiple RTL but an all in one box would be the better solution. CuSDR and PowerSDR_mrx both offer multiple receiver slices off one receiver.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 7:58:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Has anyone done anything really cool with one yet?

Mine should be here Wednesday.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 8:32:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There are some great hacks now for the RTL's that use a stabilized oscillator. Nooelec have started hacking their own and installing them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top