Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/14/2013 6:24:10 AM EDT
I've been meaning to update this thing for awhile with some Digital and CW frequencies that weren't on the original.  If anyone has suggestions that need to be added, please post them.  I'll put it all together and ask the original poster to host the update in .PDF and .XLS versions.

My changes are highlighted in yellow.

Link Posted: 9/14/2013 6:45:37 AM EDT
[#1]
I would like to also see a 15m digital freq. If you have a 40m antenna you can most like make it on 15, plus I think 15 is a pretty decent band. ymmv
Link Posted: 9/14/2013 7:02:44 AM EDT
[#2]
We shouldn't forget about the WARC bands. How about adding 17m and 12m to the card?

-bru
Link Posted: 9/14/2013 8:20:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Put in requested parameters from gcw and archbru.  15m digital guard and WARC bands are each middle of the frequency allocations.

Link Posted: 9/14/2013 9:56:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Could we use the "digital guard" frequencies for CW and Olivia?  
Link Posted: 9/14/2013 10:02:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Sure, why not?  We use them for more than Olivia, now.  When conditions support faster modes like contestia, we use it.
Link Posted: 9/14/2013 10:07:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
We shouldn't forget about the WARC bands. How about adding 17m and 12m to the card?

-bru
View Quote

I've always found 12 meters sort of useless.  At the sunspot minimum it was just not open at all, the same as 10 m.

However 17 and 15 meters are very good bands, open in the middle of the day.  Often, if 20 m is active, and it usually is in daylight, so is 17 m.  The thing I like about 17 and 15 meters is that they are very quiet bands as compared to 20 meters.
Link Posted: 9/14/2013 10:09:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Sure, why not?  We use them for more than Olivia, now.  When conditions support faster modes like contestia, we use it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We probably don't need separate frequencies for CW then.  

I might even try to check in to the net on Wednesday night.  
Link Posted: 9/14/2013 10:24:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The listed CW freqs are novice (slow) ones and/or calling freqs not associated with Arfcom.  Could use either.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/14/2013 11:06:52 AM EDT
[#9]
+1 for 17m.  I've had clear signals on 17m from FL to OH, KS, and TX, as well as OCONUS.
Link Posted: 9/14/2013 11:17:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
+1 for 17m.  I've had clear signals on 17m from FL to OH, KS, and TX, as well as OCONUS.
View Quote

It's on the list under WARC...18.118.  In the middle of the band.
Link Posted: 9/14/2013 11:31:56 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The listed CW freqs are novice (slow) ones and/or calling freqs not associated with Arfcom.  Could use either.
View Quote

My preference would be to use the same frequencies for CW and digital if possible (avoids having separate ghettos for CW and digital).

3.710 is in the Advanced phone sub-band BTW.
Link Posted: 9/14/2013 12:17:05 PM EDT
[#12]
I've mentioned this before... and I know people just love all the trappings of military lingo and gear... but the words "guard"/"guard band"/"guard frequency" are misnomers as used in military lingo versus the rest of the radio communications universe including amateur radio.  I'd advise we not use that word on the frequency list.

On the non-amateur FM frequencies like the FRS, MURS etc I would suggest adding a "narrowband" reminder.

I need to reprogram radios if 100.0Hz is the standard PL tone, last I knew when the list was set up it was 110.9  Should probably just specify it for all the FM stuff for convenience.
Link Posted: 9/14/2013 12:21:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

My preference would be to use the same frequencies for CW and digital if possible (avoids having separate ghettos for CW and digital).

3.710 is in the Advanced phone sub-band BTW.
View Quote

Feel free to use CW on the Digital Guard freqs, if that suits you.  I did move the CW freq you mentioned above, 3.710, lower in the proper part of the band to 3.545.  (Nice catch...TU wdlsguy.)
Link Posted: 9/14/2013 12:48:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Nice job, BigDaddy!

Thanks for the update.

Quoted:

I've always found 12 meters sort of useless.  At the sunspot minimum it was just not open at all, the same as 10 m.
View Quote

Not me!   Some of my best DX has been on 12m. This past winter was pretty good.  But yeah, it has been dead this summer.
Link Posted: 9/14/2013 12:50:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Thanks for the WARC band updates BigDaddy!!! Great card to keep next to the radio.

-Bru

Btw... I have worked a ton of conus stations on 12/17. Lots of really great dx as well.
Link Posted: 9/14/2013 3:58:00 PM EDT
[#16]
just when I finally get around to laminating my old copy
Link Posted: 9/14/2013 5:14:41 PM EDT
[#17]

B-D,

i'm still not convinced that the original author of that card chose the best possible format.
do you/anyone else have suggestions to make it more understandable?

ar-jedi

ps
1)
CHU has needed an update for some time; see correct freqs here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CHU_%28radio_station%29

2)
add the AM national calling frequencies?  (which seemed to have gotten some use last evening, and i had to look up)

3)
the version number can be incremented as you wish.  

4)
please remove the ":8080" port designation from the hostname.
Link Posted: 9/14/2013 6:26:36 PM EDT
[#18]
I made the changes you suggested, ar-jedi and Gamma762.  

Link Posted: 9/14/2013 6:56:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
just when I finally get around to laminating my old copy
View Quote

Me too, SCW!  
Link Posted: 9/14/2013 7:01:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Thanks BD!
Link Posted: 9/15/2013 1:05:58 AM EDT
[#21]
I have no problem with 100.0 PL tone, I just didn't remember what it was supposed to be, if it was even listed on the old sheet.
Link Posted: 9/15/2013 2:43:02 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I have no problem with 100.0 PL tone, I just didn't remember what it was supposed to be, if it was even listed on the old sheet.
View Quote

I do so little FM work, I have no idea if it's 100.0 or 110.9 for the majority.

Does anyone have the definitive answer?

***Are the listed FM frequencies on the sheet ARFCOM specific?***

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/15/2013 9:23:20 AM EDT
[#23]
No love for 10 meter digital? LOL

I know, I know...upgrade my lic.
Link Posted: 9/15/2013 4:28:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

that was the original intent.  note the "556" in the primary.

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 9/15/2013 4:31:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

in the original thread IIRC i was in the "no PL/CTCSS" camp.
the use of a selective squelch system seems counterproductive for the type of emergency comms this card would be used for.

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 9/15/2013 4:38:08 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

the use of a selective squelch system seems counterproductive for the type of emergency comms this card would be used for.

ar-jedi
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ar-jedi

I agree.  I'm going to update the last pic to reflect this.  My (4) local repeaters do not have PL tones.  I suggest everyone check their own local repeaters.
Link Posted: 9/15/2013 4:47:57 PM EDT
[#27]
For the Ignorant ones (me), can you fil me in a little.

Is this pretty much something big happens go to those frequencies?

Link Posted: 9/15/2013 5:03:49 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

I don't recall if the OP specifically spelled that out in the 101 thread, but that's my understanding of how it should work.  Makes sense to me to be able to reach other members, local, regional or DX.  
Link Posted: 9/15/2013 5:27:42 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I don't recall if the OP specifically spelled that out in the 101 thread, but that's my understanding of how it should work.  Makes sense to me to be able to reach other members, local, regional or DX.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you

Link Posted: 9/15/2013 6:01:49 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I see your point...

On the other hand, to try to use the frequency at any kind of large event like Dayton, shot show etc you really need a tone, for intermod if nothing else.  Also helps a lot for daily use, I have it in scan lists and get noise on many 2m frequencies if I don't have a tone.

I would just recommend that everyone encode a tone, and use their discretion as to whether they use decode or not.  The choice isn't there if we don't pick a tone though.

Quoted:
Quoted:

that was the original intent.  note the "556" in the primary.

That was the idea, to be somewhere off the beaten path and the "5.56" would be easy to remember.  They are off the standard channel step so you'll need to change to a 5kHz step to program them.  The 2m freq is in the "miscellaneous and experimental modes" part of the bandplan, but a minimal amount of FM traffic shouldn't bother anyone, and if anyone wants to use SSB or a digital mode or something they should be ok.
Link Posted: 9/15/2013 6:04:50 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

only make contact with other ARFCOM'ers if you have beer, bacon, or beans in your chili.

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 9/15/2013 6:16:31 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

only make contact with other ARFCOM'ers if you have beer, bacon, or beans in your chili.

ar-jedi
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ar-jedi

No beer, but I do have whiskey.

Link Posted: 9/15/2013 6:37:06 PM EDT
[#33]
Can I get the file so I can print it off and keep it near my rig?
Link Posted: 9/15/2013 6:48:57 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

I sent the updated file to the OP late last night for review.  Another change has been made since then.  He's going to host it again in .PDF and .XLS formats.  Stay tuned.  
Link Posted: 9/15/2013 8:37:43 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I sent the updated file to the OP late last night for review.  Another change has been made since then.  He's going to host it again in .PDF and .XLS formats.  Stay tuned.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dear Mr. BigDaddy0004,

Your premium hosting account at MegaLosDosFileShareForEverythingAndEveryone.com has been approved.  
This service is secure from the NSA, CIA, FBI, and any other three letter government agencies which end in a vowel.
You can trust your files with us.

Regards,
ar-jedi
system admin, MegaLosDosFileShareForEverythingAndEveryone.com
Link Posted: 9/16/2013 9:27:13 AM EDT
[#36]
Any thoughts of a 2 Meter SSB frequency?

If seems that some of us may have that capability (it may be good for that fill in range)

Link Posted: 9/16/2013 2:25:02 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

If seems that some of us may have that capability (it may be good for that fill in range)

View Quote

144.223?   SSB would be ok on the 145.560, but some of the SSB antennas are narrowly tuned at the low end of the band so might be useful to have something closer to the active SSB band segments.  50.223 would also be reasonable for 6 meters if anyone was so inclined... 2 meters is better for local propagation so more useful for EMCOMM and similar needs.
Link Posted: 9/16/2013 3:30:11 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

144.223?   SSB would be ok on the 145.560, but some of the SSB antennas are narrowly tuned at the low end of the band so might be useful to have something closer to the active SSB band segments.  50.223 would also be reasonable for 6 meters if anyone was so inclined... 2 meters is better for local propagation so more useful for EMCOMM and similar needs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/16/2013 4:05:36 PM EDT
[#39]
My perfectionist side thinks the digital guard channels should be sorted by band.

Also I think it might be worthwhile marking 40M as primary (which is is most of the year, especially at night.)
Link Posted: 9/16/2013 4:29:29 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
My perfectionist side thinks the digital guard channels should be sorted by band.

Also I think it might be worthwhile marking 40M as primary (which is is most of the year, especially at night.)
View Quote

I'll fix those, too.
Link Posted: 9/16/2013 4:29:57 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 9/16/2013 4:37:30 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 9/16/2013 4:55:18 PM EDT
[#43]
KEEP IT SIMPLE
Link Posted: 9/16/2013 5:12:29 PM EDT
[#44]
Edits are closed now and they've been submitted to "You-Know-Who" for approval and downloadable links...

Link Posted: 9/16/2013 5:47:31 PM EDT
[#45]

accolades, edits, comments, critiques, and hate mail all welcome!

http://losdos.dyndns.org/public/ham/EMCOMM-FREQ-REF-CARD.pdf
http://losdos.dyndns.org/public/ham/EMCOMM-FREQ-REF-CARD.xls

B-D,
my edits were strictly cosmetic.  those links should currently point to v1.21 / 16 Sept 2013.  thanks for taking the ball on this.

all,
the flip side of this card ideally should have a "guide to field-expedient antennas" including freq-vs-length, J-pole dimensions, dipole/OCF cut lengths of commonly available materials (e.g. #14 THHN wire), a basic 4:1 and 9:1 balun plan, a QRP UNUN howto, and so on.

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 9/16/2013 5:53:19 PM EDT
[#46]
Any idea when Bigdaddy will have the flip side ready?

Just kidding, that's a good idea for the back side.
Link Posted: 9/16/2013 6:43:25 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

accolades, edits, comments, critiques, and hate mail all welcome!

http://losdos.dyndns.org/public/ham/EMCOMM-FREQ-REF-CARD.pdf
http://losdos.dyndns.org/public/ham/EMCOMM-FREQ-REF-CARD.xls

B-D,
my edits were strictly cosmetic.  those links should currently point to v1.21 / 16 Sept 2013.  thanks for taking the ball on this.

all,
the flip side of this card ideally should have a "guide to field-expedient antennas" including freq-vs-length, J-pole dimensions, dipole/OCF cut lengths of commonly available materials (e.g. #14 THHN wire), a basic 4:1 and 9:1 balun plan, a QRP UNUN howto, and so on.
ar-jedi
View Quote

Good idea! I can submit a few simple plans with dimensions if you like.  They would be in MS Paint though.
Link Posted: 11/3/2013 3:08:58 AM EDT
[#48]

anyone interested in working on the flip side for a winter project?

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 11/3/2013 3:25:43 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

ar-jedi
View Quote

To include what?
Link Posted: 11/3/2013 3:34:37 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

To include what?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
ar-jedi

To include what?

either
a) a chart showing who has dated who in terms of Miley Cyrus, Kim Karashidan, Lady Gaga, Katy Perry, etc.
b) the additional content referred to in all three posts above mine.

ar-jedi
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top