User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/1/2010 7:02:04 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Quoted:

To summarize what I am saying.  100 watts is enough for many contacts on 80,  at any time.  BUT,  it won't work everywhere for all contacts.  

40 meters may be closest to the any time of year and any time of day band that we have.

20, 15 and 10 can be world wide but not the any time bands that 40 is.

Argue with me     I love propagation discussions.

No argument here.  I've only had my General 5 months or so, and an HF rig for only 2 months, so I'm nowhere nearly as experienced as a lot on ARFCOM.  As I understand it QRP tends to work better in the winter time, which would lead me to believe 100 watts would fall right in line.  I do know a few things:

1.  The two contacts I almost made were a net and a pileup.  The NCS could not make out my call and I didn't really try too long to break through the pileup.

2.  Most QSOs I hear on 80 are good-old-boy rag chews that I want no part of.  They all seem to be old CB ops who have moved to Ham to have a quieter place to spew forth their profanity.  

3.  My antenna is in the attic.  I could run it out to the backyard, and I should, but I'm lazy and the attic provides pretty good lightening protection.  If it was outside I'm sure I'd have much better luck,  but so far it hasn't stopped me from working DX on 40 and 20.

Most of those "good old boys" have been hams since Marconi invented radio. Because of the nature of propagation,  75 meters tend to be somewhat regional. Attitudes abound, but as with all things, free speech seems to be the order of the day. The notion that everyone is a bunch of "old CB ops" is bit too broad. I can tune the bands and find snobby and rude people almost everywhere. 75 meters is a big place, so the look around a bit more before you dismiss everyone that hangs out there.

If you are looking for a friendly 75 meter net, may I suggest the Freewheeler's net on 3.916 Mhz. It starts at about 8:30 pm and run past midnight. There is no profanity, off color jokes, or politics. The other night there were 70+ folks from 27 states checking in. Everyone is welcome and treated with respect.

Link Posted: 10/1/2010 10:29:40 AM EDT
[#2]
One thing about power levels... atmospheric and other kinds of noise levels tend to be higher on the lower frequencies.

The advent of DSP noise reduction has meant that there is less need or incentive to run higher power in order to make listening more comfortable by overcoming the noise.
Link Posted: 10/1/2010 3:42:39 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

anyone up to try 3.898?

Sorry Dave,   I came home about a half hour after you posted that last night.  By that time  I needed to go to bed.  

How about that we set an arfcom net time where we get as many stations as possible on at the same time one night a week.

That way there should be someone who can hear a weak station.  I'm open for other suggestions but will throw out

Tuesday evenings local... 0130z on or close to 3898.Tuesday evenings won't work for me much earlier than that.   later may be past bedtime for some eastern stations.

IF that doesn't work for you post a suggestion and we will see what works for the most of us.  

With hams on from all over the country weak stations could be relayed in if necessary and everyone could compare and see what antennas and methods are working for others.

There will be only 3 rules.

1. have fun

2.  maybe learn something

3.refer to rule 1

Edited the time.  I intended to suggest 0130z but typed it wrong.  I have another schedule at 0030z.

All we need is a time that some of us can get on at the same time.

Sounds great.  I actually have a 2 meter net at 0100Z which usually ends around 0130Z.  

Now if I can just remember to check into the 2 meter net every Tuesday...

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top