Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/1/2010 7:11:03 PM EDT
with all the choices for a handheld what do guys recommend for me?....i just passed my exam saturday and received my call sign on tuesday....now im looking at getting a dual band to start off with and slowly become comfortable then upgrade....price unfortunately is a concern for me but im willing to pay a lil extra to get on the air......73
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 7:24:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 7:40:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 10:19:48 PM EDT
[#3]
The Yaesu FT-60 is probably the most perfect dual band starter radio.

Buy the N9TAX dualband dipole antenna, and you've got a good at home unit as well.

Link Posted: 9/1/2010 10:31:13 PM EDT
[#4]
another vote for the FT-60R
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 12:21:19 AM EDT
[#5]
I vote mobile.  Handheld will underperform your expectations.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 5:30:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
another vote for the FT-60R

+1

Link Posted: 9/2/2010 6:10:39 AM EDT
[#7]
i would check to see what repeaters are in your area and find out how active they are before buying a dual band. a VHF HT might be your best option.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 6:36:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

+1

A 5w HT just doesn't have the poop to get out. Since I've gotten my base station together I probably haven't turned on the HT more than once a month.

I'd rather see you get a good single band mobile such as the Yaesu FT-1900 or something similiar. Hook it up to a decent vertical such as a Diamond X50 or even a beam such as the Elk Log Periodic. Set up as a base station and you are good to go for a long time. I've been told by more than a few hams that they've seen too many Techs get frustrated with a 2m HT and give up on amateur radio completely.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 6:42:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The Yaesu FT-60 is probably the most perfect dual band starter radio.

Buy the N9TAX dualband dipole antenna, and you've got a good at home unit as well.

+1  This is a great combo to start out with....  But I did get a mobile FT-8800 at the same time.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 8:51:16 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I disagree completely. I have never had a problem hitting a repeater, be it in the metro of MN or out at school in ND.  

a mobile is hardly mobile, it either stays in your car, or you have to be able to get it set up in your house, if you rent odds are you cant set up an antenna. if you get a mobile and put it in your car as a first radio all of a sudden you are only getting air time while you drive. if you get a HT you can get on the air where ever you are, carry it around the house with you, so you have a radio near you.

until you can afford to put a radio in your bedroom, car... kitchen....  garage...  and most everywhere else we would love to have a radio, a HT can solve a lot of those issues.

anyway, I love my ft-60, I let arfcom decide my first radio and that was it, my only regret is that I didnt buy a spare battery right off the bat.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 8:57:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Mobile rig first. I bought an ht first and as stated above I was disapointed. If 440 gets much use in your QTH get a dual bander. If not a Kenwood TM-271 is a nice 2m rig.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 9:32:45 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Mobile rig first. I bought an ht first and as stated above I was disapointed. If 440 gets much use in your QTH get a dual bander. If not a Kenwood TM-271 is a nice 2m rig.

Agreed, but before installing the mobile in your car or truck, use it in your home.  That way you are not fiddling with channels, tones, etc, while running over nuns in crosswalks or 1st graders in school zones.  You can sit in your home, cup of coffee, manual open, relaxed, feet up, learn to operate the radio, get the local and wider area repeaters programmed, and learn to operate on the air.  Sit back, relax, play radio without being a distracted driver.

Later you can worry about getting installed in your vehicle.

Buy a full 22-25 amp (or even 30 amp) power supply.  That will not only operate a 2m rig with power to spare, but later operate a 100 watt HF rig, too.

Then all you need is a length of coax and a J-pole (Arrow and B-Square Engineering), you are in business.

AFM
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 9:42:46 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Agreed, but before installing the mobile in your car or truck, use it in your home. That way you are not fiddling with channels, tones, etc, while running over nuns in crosswalks or 1st graders in school zones. You can sit in your home, cup of coffee, manual open, relaxed, feet up, learn to operate the radio, get the local and wider area repeaters programmed, and learn to operate on the air. Sit back, relax, play radio without being a distracted driver.

Later you can worry about getting installed in your vehicle.

Buy a full 22-25 amp (or even 30 amp) power supply. That will not only operate a 2m rig with power to spare, but later operate a 100 watt HF rig, too.

Then all you need is a length of coax and a J-pole (Arrow and B-Square Engineering), you are in business.

AFM

Good advice.

FWIW:  I really like the Icom VX-8000 as a beginer mobile rig.

Link Posted: 9/2/2010 2:02:37 PM EDT
[#14]
If you do want to go HT and don't need 440 the Yaesu VX-110 is a nice radio.  I think it runs about $125 or so.  HTs have the advantage of being cheaper and portable, which is great if you're outside and not moving too fast.  I can hit several repeaters from my house with a VX-5R, and also some when I'm driving.  However, when mobile you can lose a repeater quickly, especially if you're on the outskirts of its coverage to begin with.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 2:39:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
That way you are not fiddling with channels, tones, etc, while running over nuns in crosswalks or 1st graders in school zones.

Some of you guys are real buzzkills.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top