Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/21/2010 5:53:15 PM EDT
I know this topic has been beat to death on here but i have a few questions on a box i want to build.

I want a box that could be used as a cross band repeater  70cm - 2m.  It needs to be able to solar charge its battery.  it also needs to be semi weather proof during operation.

1. what radio?  I was thinking 8800
2. what antenna
3. what battery
4. what box
5. what solar charger
6. what have i forgot

it also needs to function as a regular comm box

Thanks

Woody
Link Posted: 8/21/2010 7:09:56 PM EDT
[#1]
thats a rather expensive radio to put in a box and leave it alone. there are a LOT of 2m/70c radios that do CBR. antenna is part of it but height of that antenna is the biggest thing. also the size of the battery will depend on what power rating you want to run and for how long. the box depends, you cant have it water tight or else the heat will build up and heat is the number one killer of electronics.
Link Posted: 8/21/2010 7:17:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Ok what are some of the cheaper radios I can look at?  I know I cant keep it water tight when it is on.  I was thinking storm box for solid water tight transport then open it up hanging it upside down when in use.
Link Posted: 8/22/2010 4:13:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I want a box that could be used as a cross band repeater  70cm - 2m.  It needs to be able to solar charge its battery.  it also needs to be semi weather proof during operation.

1. what radio?  I was thinking 8800    Great choice.  That's what I chose, specifically for the Cross-Band Repeat Capability and dual band Independent Two-Channel Operation.  I use it as my main 2m/70cm radio every day.
2. what antenna    Look at Arrow OSJ 146/440, Diamond X50, and N9TAX's roll up Slim Jim.  I have all three and they all work very well.
3. what battery    I use (2) 12V-12ah AGM batteries in parallel.
4. what box    Many choices available.  Pelican, Storm.... I chose MTM Sportsman Plus Utility Dry Box.
5. what solar charger    SunLinq 12V - 12W is what another user selected awhile back.  12VDC output @ 800mA
6. what have i forgot    A pile of $$$  

Thanks

Woody

There are a lot of EmComm Box threads to get info from:

Ham Radio 101- communications bug-out-boxes / emergency radios
EmComm Box Construction
A Free Man's HF Go Kit
Another Comm Box Project

Link Posted: 8/22/2010 5:05:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

4. what box    Many choices available.  Pelican, Storm.... I chose MTM Sportsman Plus Utility Dry Box.

––>  Linky  <––  on the box that these guys like to use....  

however, get a manly color... they have this thing about orange.....    

Link Posted: 8/22/2010 5:17:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

––>  Linky  <––  on the box that these guys like to use....  

however, get a manly color... they have this thing about orange.....    

[Holding Hands Over Ears] I can't hear you!  NAA-NAA-NAA-NAA! [/Holding Hands Over Ears]  
Link Posted: 8/22/2010 6:44:23 AM EDT
[#6]
how tight do the roll up slim jims roll up?  can they be rolled up tight enough to fit in the box for transport?
Link Posted: 8/22/2010 7:05:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
how tight do the roll up slim jims roll up?  can they be rolled up tight enough to fit in the box for transport?

Almost like they were made for this application.    More N9TAX Slim Jim Fun

Link Posted: 8/22/2010 11:35:39 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I know this topic has been beat to death on here but i have a few questions on a box i want to build.

I want a box that could be used as a cross band repeater 70cm - 2m. It needs to be able to solar charge its battery. it also needs to be semi weather proof during operation.

1. what radio? I was thinking 8800

2. what antenna

3. what battery

4. what box

5. what solar charger

6. what have i forgot

Thanks

Woody

Unless you intend to include an additional radio for HF and additional gear for digital capabilities, why do you need to put a radio in a box? If you put anderson power pole connectors on the power leads, you can carry the radio anywhere. You can plug it into your vehicle, a battery, ect.

You can also hang a 2 meter flexible J-pole (slim Jim) antenna up about anywhere. Put a mag mount antenna on your vehicle and you can also take it off and use iit anywhere.

I have a go-box, but it has 2 HF radios, a power supply, fuse block, Pactor 3 modem, and Signalink in it. Too many items to manage seperately and in short order. If I was only going 2 meters, I'd just put a strap on the radio and go. YMMV.
Link Posted: 8/22/2010 12:00:24 PM EDT
[#9]
i want the box to keep the batteries with the radio.  it will also have room for the fold up solar charger and slim jim.  it can be left unattended  in cross band repeat mode to extend the range of the HT's
Link Posted: 8/22/2010 12:36:16 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

i want the box to keep the batteries with the radio. it will also have room for the fold up solar charger and slim jim. it can be left unattended in cross band repeat mode to extend the range of the HT's

I have a budy that put together a unit just like you are wanting, except he used an old tower computer case and put a simplex repeater in it.

Prety cool to have the ability to just set it up and leave it as a portable repeater. That being the instance...I'd be sure to get a case that's waterproof and can be closed up against the weather. You're still gonna have to have some way to mount stuff to or it'll get mixed up and banged around. 2" wide velcro works well. I built mine in a rackmount case and used velcro to 'stick' the components to the rack-mount shelves.

Cases are really expensive for what you get. I ran across lots of cases that would work well on the .gov surplus auctions. You have to buy a 'lot' usually with several different cases in it, but I guess you could buy a 'lot' and sell what you don't need. Stuff like this:

http://www.govliquidation.com/auction/view?id=3562221&convertTo=USD

and

http://www.govliquidation.com/auction/view?id=3568051&convertTo=USD

Something like this might work well:   http://www.igloocoolers.com/Coolers_3/Hard-Soft-Fusion/40-Quart-Cool-Fusion-Realtree-Roller

Good luck with it!!
Link Posted: 8/22/2010 1:51:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/23/2010 11:22:59 AM EDT
[#12]

Not a bad price for a waterproof case. Is it gonna be big enough for a battery and other stuff?

Link Posted: 8/23/2010 12:23:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Interior dimensions...

1430 Top Loader Case
Interior Dimensions:
13.56" x 5.76" x 11.70" (34.4 x 14.6 x 29.7 cm)

from ––>  Here  <––

Link Posted: 8/23/2010 4:00:53 PM EDT
[#14]
What would be the problem with using a large steel ammo can.  I have 10 or 12 of them that measure 20" long X 16" high and 10" wide
Link Posted: 8/24/2010 8:02:28 PM EDT
[#15]
While not optimal for heat dissipation, I use a .30 cal can for my mountaintop X-band HT repeater. I don't use it so much anymore. I have a dual band mobile in my Jeep that I can X-band thru with the HT when hiking down in the canyons.

I used some wood to make the HT holder and the small SLA battery fits under the HT. While this isn't exactly what you intend to build, it may give you some ideas.
Link Posted: 8/25/2010 6:19:18 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
While not optimal for heat dissipation, I use a .30 cal can for my mountaintop X-band HT repeater. I don't use it so much anymore. I have a dual band mobile in my Jeep that I can X-band thru with the HT when hiking down in the canyons.
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f110/vassili67/706/DSCN2945.jpg
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f110/vassili67/706/DSCN2947.jpg
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f110/vassili67/706/DSCN2949.jpg

I used some wood to make the HT holder and the small SLA battery fits under the HT. While this isn't exactly what you intend to build, it may give you some ideas.

HT doesn't generate anywhere near the amount of heat a full powered mobile radio will. i plan on building something just like your setup here soon. just got to find a HT that will X band repeat. no one makes a mew model that does it and hunting for older ones is a PITA to say the least. either they are beat to hell and the owners want a fortune for them or something doesnt work on them and they still want a fortune for them.
Link Posted: 8/25/2010 7:04:00 AM EDT
[#17]
That one is an Icom IC-W21AT. Another is the Yaesu FT-470 that will X-band repeat to be on the lookout for.
Link Posted: 8/25/2010 7:12:08 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
That one is an Icom IC-W21AT. Another is the Yaesu FT-470 that will X-band repeat to be on the lookout for.

yeah, there is anther one out there as well but cant remember the make/model. if all else fails i will pick up a couple of cheap HT's and use the arrow antenna repeater controller. would much rather just use one radio though.
Link Posted: 8/25/2010 12:29:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
mountaintop X-band HT repeater.

That is a NICE setup!  
Link Posted: 8/25/2010 12:31:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
mountaintop X-band HT repeater.

That is a NICE setup!  

And... we need details on the goat pictures!!!  

Link Posted: 8/25/2010 2:28:55 PM EDT
[#21]
I like that.  I would try to only run with the lid off.

as far as the goat pic's   them ain't goats thems sheep.

Woody
Link Posted: 8/25/2010 6:07:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I like that.  I would try to only run with the lid off.

as far as the goat pic's   them ain't goats thems sheep.

Woody

a HT isnt going to generate enough heat to bother anything. having it closed up isnt going to hurt a thing.
Link Posted: 8/25/2010 6:23:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Unless you intend to include an additional radio for HF and additional gear for digital capabilities, why do you need to put a radio in a box? If you put anderson power pole connectors on the power leads, you can carry the radio anywhere. You can plug it into your vehicle, a battery, ect.

Um, convenience? It's much easier to grab a box with a handle when rushing out the door rather than trying to fiddle with "loose" equipment. I've also got an external speaker in mine and a headphone jack. If the radio is bothering others in the room/area I can turn it off and put the headphones on. If the others want to hear but I'm having a hard time I can leave the speaker on but still use the headphones. It also carries my writing stuff for notes, battery, whattmeter, etc.

If I'm staffing a hurricane shelter or hospital I have no need (nor any antenna capabilities) for HF. If there's anything that needs to hit HF it'll be passed to the EOC or Red Cross and they can move it. In our area HF would be a waste in 9 out of 10 go-boxes.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top