Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 8
Link Posted: 2/3/2011 8:21:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By Zak-Smith:

CE68 programming software works fine in Ubuntu Linux under WINE.   Only special things I had to do were adding a link from /dev/usb/ttyUSB0 to .wine/com1  and make sure ttyUSB0 had user permissions.

I developed some perl scripts to combine different frequency packages into programming files (the .dat files ce68 reads).  The following example is for illustration purposes only–– always make sure you're in compliance with all respective laws whenever transmitting, etc, etc.

If anyone needs help getting a series of LMR frequencies into a .dat file, I can probably help.  

You'll have to reapply that link for WINE every time the kernel updates as well, or you get the light speed 'Done!' message with nothing really being done.
sudo ln -sb  /dev/ttyUSB0 /dev/ttyS2 

I run mine into COM3 for the ce68 programmer.

... and I'd really like to see your perl scripts and file specs
I'd been thinking of creating a front end editor for the ce68 programmer, but just never seemed to "get around to it"
Link Posted: 2/4/2011 7:01:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/17/2011 11:16:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Zak-Smith] [#3]
Link Posted: 2/27/2011 9:51:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/8/2011 8:54:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Tony-Ri:
The HX400 does seem to be the successor of the 370. They do go for quite a bit more, though...

What's the deal with the HX400 and the voice scrambler ability?  

Any idea how that works and how secure it would be?

Link Posted: 3/8/2011 9:09:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By toyotaman:
Originally Posted By Tony-Ri:
The HX400 does seem to be the successor of the 370. They do go for quite a bit more, though...

What's the deal with the HX400 and the voice scrambler ability?  

Any idea how that works and how secure it would be?

They are discussed on at least pages 6-8 of this thread. I think earlier too but that's all the farther I looked.

If a listener doesn't have the scrambler/descrambler in his listening device then yes, its pretty secure.
However, the technology is relatively basic and easily accessible.

Link Posted: 4/1/2011 7:20:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RatSass] [#7]
FYI-

Gander Mountain has the 370 at $109.99 and has a $20.00 Off coupon on their homepage.  I just bought one for $89.99 plus tax, Free Shipping.  They have a store in Tennessee so I had to pay tax but the total was $98.31 delivered.

Great deal!

Coupon code is GMH0330
Link Posted: 4/1/2011 7:39:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By RatSass:
FYI-

Gander Mountain has the 370 at $109.99 and has a $20.00 Off coupon on their homepage.  I just bought one for $89.99 plus tax, Free Shipping.  They have a store in Tennessee so I had to pay tax but the total was $98.31 delivered.

Great deal!

Currently listed as back ordered on GM's web site.

may stop in at our local store tomorrow and may even look to see if Cabela's carry them.
Link Posted: 4/1/2011 8:12:05 PM EDT
[#9]
So the point is.....would you wait a couple of weeks to buy them for $89.99???  They were a screaming deal at $109+ plus shipping and/or tax.

I will wait a couple of weeks at that price.  Also Gander, unlike a lot of vendors, won't hit your card until they ship it.
Link Posted: 4/1/2011 8:54:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for that coupon code!

Placed my order, I already have a programing cable for it and software.

I found a site that has the USB programing cables and a ton of accessories for radio's very cheap. A lot of it is chicom stuff, but it seems to work and so far all the reviews have been good.

If anyone is looking for ear pieces or speaker mics, programing cables google kawamall
Link Posted: 4/2/2011 5:56:08 PM EDT
[#11]
You are welcome.  $89.99 and free shipping is too good to believe for this deal.  And thank you for the link for cables.
Link Posted: 4/3/2011 4:02:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: stanprophet09] [#12]
You are welcome.  $89.99 and free shipping is too good to believe for this deal.  And thank you for the link for cables.

Just a heads up, the cables work good, but you may have to tighten it, then back it out like 1/8th of a turn. There seems to be some variances in the aftermarket connectors and some of the radio's. I have also heard this about the RT systems cables.

I found that I lost the programming one time on the VX7, and I had to back the cable off a little and it has been working great.

ETA: I have about 5 buddies that ordered them as well, they are all going to be programed the same. It still leaves about 25 LMR channels that they can customize. Standardized SHTF radio, Oh and I have been able to convince 3 to get their Tech License, the other 2 I am still working on!

They really liked the idea of having Murs, Marine, and a HAM capable radio all in one.

Link Posted: 4/11/2011 10:52:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Radio came today, this thing is amazing!

The programing cable worked fine, going to carry it around this week and play around with it.

Thanks Guys for this thread and all of those involved, now waiting on my buddies radio's to get here so we can have a programing party.
Link Posted: 4/15/2011 3:23:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RatSass] [#14]
Yep, mine came in last Tuesday and it is a heck of a deal and radio.

I found the link earlier for the software but dang, they want $15-$16 for shipping.  That's 2/3 the cost of the software.  So....I have to ask where you get the software????
Thanks,

RatSass

Nevermind.  Figured out the solution to the software issue.  Like being a Mason.
Link Posted: 4/15/2011 3:55:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Yep, mine came in last Tuesday and it is a heck of a deal and radio.

I found the link earlier for the software but dang, they want $15-$16 for shipping.  That's 2/3 the cost of the software.  So....I have to ask where you get the software????
Thanks,

RatSass

Nevermind.  Figured out the solution to the software issue.  Like being a Mason.

I asked the same question and figured it out rather quickly. Oh and there is a yahoo group about these radio's.

I just recived my second one, and the third one is on the way.

Link Posted: 4/15/2011 6:31:53 PM EDT
[#16]
My next investment is a gang charger.

Link Posted: 4/15/2011 11:35:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Zak-Smith] [#17]
Link Posted: 4/16/2011 9:57:29 AM EDT
[#18]
Just make one out of parts that came with the HX370S's themselves. WAY cheaper.  They want real money for the gang chargers

<a href="http://demigodllc.com/photo/HX370S/?small=gang.jpg" target="_blank">http://demigodllc.com/photo/HX370S/smaller/gang.jpg</a>

All I added:

old HP laptop charger and some powerpole adapters, board

How many volts are you feeding that thing?  I take it there's no charge regulation?
Link Posted: 4/16/2011 8:26:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Zak-Smith] [#19]
Link Posted: 4/16/2011 8:28:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Zak-Smith] [#20]
Link Posted: 4/19/2011 11:00:20 PM EDT
[#21]

Gander Mountain currently has the HX370's for $109.99 a piece.

https://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?r=view&i=92489

If you want a speaker mic, the MH-73A4B is a nice one.

Here's my gang charger while I was putting it together.  I converted the cig-lighter power cables to have power-pole ends, and then salvaged an old HP laptop charger (12V 3A) to power the set.  Has room for 8.   If AC isn't available and I unplug the HP power supply, I can plug a 12-16V power source with a power-pole end into the 8x pp splitter to charge the set.  I took this photo in the middle of the project–– it's more polished now.

http://demigodllc.com/photo/HX370S/small/gang.jpg

That's a VX8DR off to the right.

Promo Codes

GMTN10   .....if you buy one.

GMTN5    .....if you buy more than one.

Link Posted: 4/20/2011 7:45:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TheGrayMan] [#22]
The HX370S chargers have no charge regulation–– the manual says to charge for 12 hours.  It would be ideal to put a timer on it, but I haven't done that yet (can't find a low-enough-tech one actually).

If you look at the output of the HX370S wall charger units vs. the input of the base/plugin units (ie that the wall unit cable plugs in to), you can figure out that the base units are designed to take like 12-15 volts or something like that (I don't have them with me right now so I can't check exactly).  So bottom line, you can use "Auto 12V" (typically 12-16V) or the output of a 12-15V DC power supply.  The HX370S base units only take like a fifth of an amp or something ridiculously small like that.

The only issue you'll run into is that most modern laptop chargers are 19-20V.  You need to find an older one that's like 12 or 14V, or just use any old DC power supply that's 12-14V and 2 amps or more (for approx 6-8 radios)

True... true...

Your setup would certainly save some cash.
Link Posted: 4/20/2011 5:10:14 PM EDT
[#23]
While we're at it- what would be a good replacement antenna for the duckie?
Link Posted: 4/22/2011 11:46:47 AM EDT
[#24]
Hello,

New here but a owner/user of the 370 and other items on this site for a long time. I'm not familiar with radio programming so I have a question to those of you who have used the software identified previously:

I recently purchased 4 more 370's from Gander Mtn. I need to copy the programming from the one I've had for a couple of years. Is there a function in this software that essentially allows you to copy from the existing radio and paste to the new one's? I'd rather not pay a radio shop as the software and cable is cheap compared to what the shops want to charge.

Thanks for the heads up on GM and the software. I paid $99 each shipped with the GM coupons available.
We use these radios with headsets for communication between our pit captains and our race car in desert racing. They work great!

Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/22/2011 12:01:14 PM EDT
[#25]
I just ordered one from Gander, and like above it came in <$100. I'm about to pull the trigger on a Yaesu FT-60R as well. I'll spring for the programming software and cable for the FT-60 and use the CE68 software I got from the Yahoo Group to program the HX370. That will give my wife and me each a HT in our BOB and the FT-2900R in the van as well.

P.
Link Posted: 4/22/2011 12:05:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 4/22/2011 2:21:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Okay, I should have read the manual before posting but it appears I can clone the programming info directly from my old to new radios via a cloning cable. SH wants $75 plus shipping. From an earlier post the Vertex 160 are the same ends just not threaded but would work. so anybody know of a cheap 370 or vx 160 cloning cable source? correct cable is a CT-32. I could only find it directly from SH.
Link Posted: 4/22/2011 6:26:24 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 4/23/2011 10:11:41 PM EDT
[#29]

If you're going to spend the money, you're better off buying the USB->Radio cable, and then getting the software. Then you can clone and make modifications.

Where is the ce68 software available for download???

Link Posted: 4/24/2011 9:27:48 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By glockO:

If you're going to spend the money, you're better off buying the USB->Radio cable, and then getting the software. Then you can clone and make modifications.

Where is the ce68 software available for download???

Sent you an IM
Link Posted: 4/26/2011 11:51:49 PM EDT
[#31]
My radio arrived today. First impression is that this is indeed the bargain of the month - at least! I will definitely be ordering at least one more. If you are on the fence on this, jump off the damn thing and snap this deal right up. Gander Mountain still has them on sale at $109. They've also got a coupon worth $20 off a $100 order. My coupon was only $15 off, and with tax (they've got stores in WI and I live here) and shipping, I paid ($99.74). I ordered on Friday April 22 at 10:10 am, and the radio arrived before 10:00 am this morning.

Don't think just do it, and then do it again. Remember to blame ar-jedi. Wives can accept that.

P.
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 12:07:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ar-jedi] [#32]
Originally Posted By curiousrelic:
Don't think just do it, and then do it again. Remember to blame ar-jedi. Wives can accept that.

you just made the list, pal.

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 5/9/2011 10:05:58 AM EDT
[#33]
P.,

You are the "enabler of the month."

Link Posted: 5/9/2011 11:17:49 AM EDT
[#34]
I am but a poor padawan studying at the screen of Master Ar. It's all his doing (since I'm already on The List).

P.
Link Posted: 5/11/2011 2:59:09 PM EDT
[#35]
tag...
Link Posted: 5/11/2011 8:52:02 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 5/11/2011 9:45:57 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By JSteensen:
http://www.amazon.com/Radio-Programming-Cable-Chipset-Windows/dp/tech-data/B002YU59K0

Will this work for programming the HX370S?

No it will not go deep enough into the radio since it has a threaded section like the VX-7R, here is a link

HERE
This is the one i got and it works great.
Link Posted: 5/11/2011 10:32:01 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By stanprophet09:
http://www.amazon.com/Radio-Programming-Cable-Chipset-Windows/dp/tech-data/B002YU59K0

No it will not go deep enough into the radio since it has a threaded section like the VX-7R, here is a link

HERE
This is the one i got and it works great.

I'm planning on this one:
http://cgi.ebay.com/programming-cable-Yaesu-Vertex-VX6R-VX7R-VX170-/320578210578?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4aa3f34b12
Link Posted: 5/17/2011 12:52:02 AM EDT
[#39]
Just ordered the radio.

Need a quick answer if this cable will work - http://cgi.ebay.com/USB-programming-cable-Yeasu-Vertex-VX7R-VX177-VX6R-013-/170420952565?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27ade15df5

Now for a handmike, and possibly upgraded antenna to try and get some range...though I dont know enough about them to be at all intelligent.

Link Posted: 5/17/2011 8:03:44 AM EDT
[#40]
Looks just like the one I've got.
Link Posted: 5/17/2011 11:32:52 AM EDT
[#41]

I have the above cable but from Ebay at $9 shipped.

The previous poster is correct. Unmodified, the cable will not go deep enough into yeasu submersible radios with threaded input jacks. I have not tried yet, but I think it could be made to work by removing material from the cable's rubber housing.

It did come with a minidisc full of (most likely pirated) yaesu and icom programming software...
Link Posted: 5/17/2011 12:56:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Tweightwee] [#42]
This one will work with the HX 370s.

This one won't. (Unmodified).

The mini disc that came with mine had the programming software for several radios.
Link Posted: 5/17/2011 1:03:03 PM EDT
[#43]
Stick with the cable that has the threads, if it says it is for the VX-7R it will work with the HX370s. Mine did not come with the software, it only came with the driver. The software can be found from members here, or you can join the Yahoo group for the radio. If you cant seem to find the software send me a PM I may be able to help you find a copy.

I love my little radio, and surprisingly it has a better battery life than my VX-7r.
Link Posted: 5/31/2011 11:44:56 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 6/1/2011 1:31:41 AM EDT
[#45]
Well, I finally bit the bullet and ordered one from Gander... Of course they're backordered for two weeks!

Link Posted: 6/1/2011 6:51:02 AM EDT
[#46]
That's because I got the last one two weeks ago

Now I need to order another so my wife and I can communicate while kayaking.
Link Posted: 6/1/2011 5:25:37 PM EDT
[#47]
Has anyone else noticed that when you enable the LMR feature that you loose the sound on the weather channels?

It is not a big deal, of the 6 or so I have programed they all do that, I just took the last 6 channels of the lmr and programed the weather frequencies manually. The thing that you do loose though is the weather alert feature. But i guess there is no perfect solution. The sound volume and quality is better than my VX-7R. Overall it is one of my favorite radio's.
Link Posted: 6/1/2011 6:07:16 PM EDT
[#48]

Has anyone else noticed that when you enable the LMR feature that you loose the sound on the weather channels?

It is not a big deal, of the 6 or so I have programed they all do that, I just took the last 6 channels of the lmr and programed the weather frequencies manually. The thing that you do loose though is the weather alert feature. But i guess there is no perfect solution. The sound volume and quality is better than my VX-7R. Overall it is one of my favorite radio's.

I dont have this problem. - I have all LMR freqs programmed and still get my Wx channels fine with the weather alert and all.

Link Posted: 6/1/2011 6:08:33 PM EDT
[#49]
We did helicopter quals on Saturday. Got to play with running it and got some pretty darn good range on Rx and Tx. I do think I need a replacement antenna - I'm really afraid I'm going to break this one.

Link Posted: 6/1/2011 6:54:56 PM EDT
[#50]

I dont have this problem. - I have all LMR freqs programmed and still get my Wx channels fine with the weather alert and all.

I tried to go back to default and it still does not work. All of the radio's that I have programed have been that way. A total of 6 exactly, I tried to play around with the setting to see and no dice.

It shows the green RX light but no sound whatsoever.

If anyone has some idea's, I am wondering if i got a bad version of the software?
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top