Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/18/2007 5:57:52 PM EDT
This sight has a pretty good selection of short stories. http://www.frugalsquirrels.com/
Link Posted: 11/19/2007 2:33:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Yeah I'm reading the story "lights out" right now.  Here's a link to the complete story (frugal squirrels only has the first 40 chapters)

Lights Out

Not a big shoot 'em up, but it does deal with the human interaction and how a community would react when SHTF.
Link Posted: 11/20/2007 1:04:14 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Yeah I'm reading the story "lights out" right now.  Here's a link to the complete story (frugal squirrels only has the first 40 chapters)

Lights Out

Not a big shoot 'em up, but it does deal with the human interaction and how a community would react when SHTF.

That story sucks!
Link Posted: 11/20/2007 1:33:51 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Lights Out

That story sucks!

Link Posted: 11/20/2007 1:35:34 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Lights Out

That story sucks!

Its not nice to give the guy a hard time.
Link Posted: 11/20/2007 5:22:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Oh, man, I was about to go all nuts on the "sucks" guy, till I looked at his name to tell him to get ready for a 10 rounder -- funny, dave.
Link Posted: 11/21/2007 10:37:51 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Lights Out

That story sucks!
Are you okay?  Too much Thanksgiving cheer?
Link Posted: 11/21/2007 12:06:35 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Lights Out

That story sucks!

Ok, have to ask. . .what did Mark do with the money in the swear box, and how much was inside?  Or is that something to be addressed in the sequal?
Link Posted: 11/21/2007 8:44:02 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Lights Out

Not all survivalist stories have to be "big shoot-em-ups". I think The Survivalist series kind of set the mold for that type of story(aside from the fact that most people find the shoot-em-ups more exciting than other kinds of story).
We were discussing that once and I was in the middle of writing a survivalist story, and I realized that I had kept the gun play to a minimum so far, so I decided to see if I could write a story like that with no shooting. It wasn't too hard to do.
Link Posted: 11/21/2007 10:10:48 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Lights Out

That story sucks!

Ha, I was about to let loose on you until I saw your screenname

Just finished chapter 59.  That is almost too good a cliffhanger to go to bed on, but I'm beat!

Great story by the way, I've been interested the entire time!  Oh, I hope you don't mind if I use the term MZB from now on
Link Posted: 11/22/2007 3:01:53 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Lights Out

That story sucks!
Not to mention the guy who wrote it is a crazy.........
Link Posted: 11/22/2007 5:15:28 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Lights Out

That story sucks!

But so damn good looking............
Link Posted: 11/23/2007 9:45:59 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Lights Out

That story sucks!

yeah right, that story is better than most of the ones you recommend people read...
Link Posted: 11/23/2007 12:30:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Halffast, I gotta ask:  why such an abrupt ending?  The epilogue was kinda cool, but I thought surely I had missed something.  

Nope, it was the end of the book!

So, what gives?
Link Posted: 11/23/2007 4:20:53 PM EDT
[#14]
I really enjoyed Lights Out, I just finished it a few weeks ago.
Link Posted: 11/24/2007 5:55:52 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Halffast, I gotta ask:  why such an abrupt ending?  The epilogue was kinda cool, but I thought surely I had missed something.  

So, what gives?

I'm glad you asked that.  Many people on different forums have written that I must have gotten tired and just ended the story.  Nothing could be further from the truth.  I stopped writing because I got to the point I had always intended to get to.  

Mark went from a common man to the leader of Silver Hills to the leader of Wilson County.  I have some ideas about how Mark will move on from there, but I never meant to go past him being elected Sheriff in the first book.  After all, LO is over 430,000 words and it took me over three years to write it.

I have always taken people not wanting it to end as a compliment.  I hope that when I get to the sequel, that it will answer some of the questions.  But, I have to finish L&F first, and then I want to finish my next story that I have already started, "Dead Reckoning."

Thanks again,

David
Link Posted: 11/24/2007 6:09:52 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So, what gives?

I'm glad you asked that.  Many people on different forums have written that I must have gotten tired and just ended the story.  Nothing could be further from the truth.  I stopped writing because I got to the point I had always intended to get to.  

Mark went from a common man to the leader of Silver Hills to the leader of Wilson County.  I have some ideas about how Mark will move on from there, but I never meant to go past him being elected Sheriff in the first book.  After all, LO is over 430,000 words and it took me over three years to write it.

I have always taken people not wanting it to end as a compliment.  I hope that when I get to the sequel, that it will answer some of the questions.  But, I have to finish L&F first, and then I want to finish my next story that I have already started, "Dead Reckoning."

Thanks again,

David

Is that the one you and dirt knee was telling me about????
If it is get your ass to writing i'm ready
Link Posted: 11/25/2007 10:02:36 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So, what gives?

Thanks again,

David

I reread my post and I realized I should've expressed how much I liked the book, just so you knew I was a fan of it.

DON'T READ BELOW IF YOU DON'T WANT TO SEE A SEMI-SPOILER!

I'd be excited to read the sequel, the main questions I was wanting answered were who set off the EMP, why they did it, and how long it took them to get the power back on.  That, and how did Mark meet his eventual demise (natural death, old age, murdered, etc).

I'll definitely be looking for Dead Reckoning.  Keep up the good work!
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 10:20:15 AM EDT
[#18]

Oh, man, I was about to go all nuts on the "sucks" guy, till I looked at his name to tell him to get ready for a 10 rounder -- funny, dave.

hehe i dont hardley post and "I" was gona say about the asme thing. Story rocks and i'm in the process of getting a profesional Story reader to render the story in a MP3/Audio format. I lost the thread about that (note to self get membership to search forums) but am in th procees of moving and wife just broke her leg in 1 spot and fractured it in 3 more, so my search got put on hold.

Great story...

oh yea, BOT Frugal has some neat stuff on the site too

Zar
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 5:31:40 PM EDT
[#19]
So when is the sequel going to come out or is it already out?
I read Light Out about 3 months ago and it is by far one of the best book i have read.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 6:26:16 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Lights Out

That story sucks!

Only if you have beer goggles on....

Av.
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 11:55:35 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Lights Out

That story sucks!

Av.

Beer goggles, whiskey goggles, crack goggles...whatever it takes.
Link Posted: 12/6/2007 12:01:32 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Lights Out

That story sucks!

Av.

Beer goggles, whiskey goggles, crack goggles...whatever it takes.

Gouging your eyes out ?  
Link Posted: 12/6/2007 11:18:30 AM EDT
[#23]
Hey now... Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.  Just always remember that and life will be easier - and you'll get a chuckle out of it too.

No longer a fan of frugals site either, it use to be a pretty decent site too, have met a bunch of nice people from there too in the past...  oh well, life goes on and then the internet crashes..
Link Posted: 12/6/2007 1:08:11 PM EDT
[#24]
Please tell me Dead Reckoning is a Zombie story??
Link Posted: 12/7/2007 10:47:53 PM EDT
[#25]
come on Halffast it's one of the best storys out there.
you wrote it you should know.

p.s. why are you surfing arfcom when you should be writing?

love your work - thanks for your hard work,
Link Posted: 12/9/2007 7:10:16 PM EDT
[#26]
Yeah, it sucks.  Because it eventually ends.

I actually measure all other stories I read by this standard.  Hope you get more stuff out.
Link Posted: 12/11/2007 12:56:23 PM EDT
[#27]
it took me about five days to read lights out (i'm a slow reader, what can i say).  i loved every minute of it.  i thought it had the perfect balance of action and human interest.  it really did well to portray the constant wtf now feeling that i imagine you'd feel if you were in this situation.  i was hoping the ending would've had more details about the overall change in society, beyond just mentioning photovoltaics and computer controlled house.  maybe in the sequel.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top