Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/25/2014 11:11:42 PM EDT
A buddy of mine and I got lucky and drew Mule Deer, Antelope, and Elk in Nevada.

I usually wear regular hiking boots or .mil-style boots, but I am looking for something more geared towards hunting footwear that won't break the bank.

I'd like them to be high, waterproof/resistant, and possibly insulated. Comfort is important as well.

I've been looking online at the Irish Setter Rutmaster series by Red Wing.

I thought I would ask here first to get some experienced ideas.

TIA

-Joe

Link Posted: 5/26/2014 6:54:01 AM EDT
[#1]
I like; no, love my Matterhorn's..and will tell you it's the best money spent on boots in my life.
and with 40 years running around on concrete floors I know what feels good to my feet..
Link Posted: 5/26/2014 8:26:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/26/2014 9:13:05 AM EDT
[#3]
If you can, get into a cabelas/bass pro/etc and spend a hour trying on some good boots and walk all over the store.
Link Posted: 5/26/2014 11:10:34 AM EDT
[#4]
I had a pair of Rocky Bear Claws for 2 years until the entire sole just rotted off both boots and left me basically barefoot during a quail hunt. I will never buy another pair. I now have Danner Pronghorns that I really like. They have worked well in the low desert for everything as well as the high mountains for elk. I need orthotics in my shoes/ boots and they work fine with the Danner's.
Link Posted: 5/26/2014 8:08:27 PM EDT
[#5]
I bring two pairs of

http://www.salomon.com/us/product/quest-4d-gtx.html
Link Posted: 5/26/2014 8:36:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Cabelas Meindl boots fit me better than everything else I tried.  They were/are worth every penny.
Link Posted: 5/26/2014 9:44:04 PM EDT
[#7]
I've been wearing the same pair of insulated Cabelas Outfitter Series boots for the last 10 years on many whitetail, muley, antelope and elk hunts. They're finally getting ready to retire. I've been looking for a replacement too.
Link Posted: 5/28/2014 4:21:11 PM EDT
[#8]
I have several different pairs of boots.  The majority of boots in my closet are Danner.  I just picked up a pair of non insulated Danner Desert TFX to deal with the southern NV heat. Even with a thicker pair of wool socks they work fine for the mild winters here.  

I have other Danner boots:

Ft Lewis Boots:  Many many many miles all over Europe, Korea, and the US.  I think I ruck marched more in these boots than any other military boot I own.  I think they are still my favorite.

Quarry Boot:  Very comfortable work style leather boot with a light amount of insulation.  Water proof and can be worn in cooler wet climates (western WA) and feet are comfortable year round.  Also spent many miles hiking in them when I was working in western WA.  

Trophy Boot:  Very warm in fact almost to warm for me.  They are very comfortable and I used them on a couple of deer and elk hunts when I was living in Utah.  They are just a little to insulated for me since my feet sweat a lot.  My brother who's feet are constantly cold has a pair and he loves them.  If I were living in a colder climate again I would be using these more often.  

I also had a pair of light hiking boot from Danner.  GTX something or other.  They were so so and honestly didn't last as long as their other boots did.  I replaced them with a pair of Lowa hiking boots and haven't looked back.  They are my most favorite boot I have when it comes to hiking or even hunting for that matter.  They aren't a real high boot but they are very comfortable to wear and even with a loaded pack they really offer great foot support.

Whatever you buy make sure you break them in very good.  Wear the heck out of them walking all over the place.  There is nothing worse than getting a new pair of boots and they are not broken in completely when you need to wear them.  It can ruin a good hunt in nothing flat if your feet blister up or you get hot spots.  I had that happen with a pair of issue boots that I thought I had broken in pretty well.  It made for one miserable 15 mile march.  

Oh and BTW... I hate you.  I didn't draw anything this year Again!  Good luck on your hunts this year.  I hope you get your trophies.  

Link Posted: 6/8/2014 12:56:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Cabelas meindel boots
Link Posted: 6/8/2014 1:24:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks guys, I really appreciate all the replies and suggestions.

It looks like I have some work to do in the boot department.

And Palladin8: Don't be hatin' too hard, Brother.

Link Posted: 6/23/2014 7:10:00 PM EDT
[#11]
if you can wear a size 10 regular width, I have a pair of Danner east ridge 8" boots, 400gr thinsulate I can't use. (I need wide and I got them out of state) I have about 30 miles on them.
Link Posted: 6/23/2014 7:55:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
if you can wear a size 10 regular width, I have a pair of Danner east ridge 8" boots, 400gr thinsulate I can't use. (I need wide and I got them out of state) I have about 30 miles on them.
View Quote

Wow. What a great offer, dorobuta!

Unfortunately, I wear size 11.

-Joe

Link Posted: 6/30/2014 3:49:48 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm preparing for a fall elk hunt. I want a new pair of boots to replace my Danner/Cabela "Elk Hunters".

So I'm in a similar situation.

I've spent hours researching. On the high end the following seem to rule: Kenetrek Mountain Extreme, Cabelas Meindl Denali, Lowa Sheep Hunter, Hanwag Mountain Lite, Asolo Granite,  Schnees Sheep Hunter, Crispi USA Hunter.

Where I live dealers that carry these are limited. I'm trying the Kenetreks on in a few weeks 3 hrs from where I live as that's the closest dealer but I will be in town. They are leading my list as of right now.

But like many recommended, these boots are all similar in quality and cost. It comes down to which boot fits your feet the best.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 11:54:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I wear Danners to hunt all three of those.

I think they are the Pronghorn.

View Quote

A little late to the party but this is what I wear. The non insulated, classic leather pronghorns from Danner. They've been on two Elk hunts in Wyoming, Mule Deer in Nevada, two Antelope hunts in Wyoming, countless whitetail hunts in WV and 1000's of miles walking. I just bought a new pair last week. My old pair is 5 years old and they are still wearable. If I could get them resoled I would probably return my new ones. Cabelas had them on sale for $150
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 6:13:19 PM EDT
[#15]
I wear the Asolo's I cant remember the actual name of thm but they are the hardcore version, lots of support insulated and waterproof, they are built like a tank and arent too heavy on your feet
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 7:02:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Cabelas Meindl boots fit me better than everything else I tried.  They were/are worth every penny.
View Quote

QFT. Get these boots and you'll be very satisfied. There are over 300 positive reviews (including mine).
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:16:54 PM EDT
[#17]
I gotta chime in...I did try a pair of meindel boots at Cabelas and have to agree they fit like a good glove...but so did the Danner pronghorn an one half the price. I will give a report after the South Dakota trip in October.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 8:14:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I've been wearing the same pair of insulated Cabelas Outfitter Series boots for the last 10 years on many hunts.
View Quote

THIS
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 9:09:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Went with the Kenetrek Mountain Extreme non insulated based on the recommendation of an old Marine Corps buddy in Idaho. He says they are the most popular boot in his area for the activities discussed in this thread.
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 8:29:28 PM EDT
[#20]
I got a pair of kenetrek mountian non insulated also for my elk hunt in Idaho in a few days.  Boots slide right on and I have been walki f around getting um broken in
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top