Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/5/2016 4:38:52 AM EDT
What tractor implements do you consider essential for a small homestead?
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 5:22:17 AM EDT
[#1]

front bucket, bush hog, mower , snow blower ,  post hole digger, generator,

those are the main ones....
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 5:44:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Don't think I know anyone with a bucket who doesn't use it.  Beyond that, it really depends on what you're going to do with the property.  Big gardens?  Plow, disk, tiller.  Cattle?  Brush hog, post hole digger.  Acres of lawn?  Finish mower.  Move dirt around?  Bucket, rear blade, box scoop.  It just depends.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 6:30:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Colt,

I always tell people that are asking about getting a tractor;  4WD if you have any hills on your property.  And a Front End Loader.  

Next, I use my finish mower the most.  And my boom pole - although if you have a FEL you can use that.

Ray
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 7:28:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Need more info on what you want it to do. If earn money is part of it a BH might be critical, if you're clearing ground maybe a grapple, if it's just to maintain a garden you might not need a fell with a box blade and disks doing all of your work. Also the ground will make a difference, I've lived many places where a post hole digger is useless do to rocks etc.

So more info, what do you want to do and what kind of terrain/soil?
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 7:32:36 AM EDT
[#5]
You can get a whole lot of work done with just a FEL, box blade and a bush hog.

After those, what you need is dependent upon what you want to do.

Link Posted: 2/5/2016 8:09:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Front end loader is only thing I'd consider absolutely essential (nice to have a bucket and pallet forks for it), everything else is just if you need it or not.

ETA: a boom pole is a good thing to have as is a carry all, both are fairly inexpensive.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 8:46:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

and a set of forks too....mine attached to the bucket...I used them a lot
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 8:52:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

True.  My bucket and forks are quick attach, which is really convenient.  
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 8:54:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Brushhog, box blade, auger, maybe one of the solid blades that you can angle?  

Link Posted: 2/5/2016 9:30:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Box blade has come up a few times.  Why is that essential?  I was going to rent one to do some work on my gravel driveway, but I don't see how it would be generally very useful.  Am I missing something?
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 9:38:45 AM EDT
[#11]
backblade, cultivator, front loader, belly mower, single tine ripper or single bottom plow
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 10:33:09 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Box blade has come up a few times.  Why is that essential?  I was going to rent one to do some work on my gravel driveway, but I don't see how it would be generally very useful.  Am I missing something?
View Quote

It can do double duty as fairly compact ballast for FEL work (& more weight can be easily added), the rippers can break ground for tilling even if not moving dirt.  You definately want some kind of rear ballast when doing FEL work to reduce the front end stress.

Nick
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 10:40:35 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

watch the video
http://www.everythingattachments.com/Tractor-Box-Blades-s/85.htm

a box blade is always "carrying" some dirt/stone, which then drops into low spots.  
hence it's a lot easier to level (dirt, stone, etc) with a box blade compared to a standard blade.

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 10:47:40 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Don't think I know anyone with a bucket who doesn't use it.  Beyond that, it really depends on what you're going to do with the property.  Big gardens?  Plow, disk, tiller.  Cattle?  Brush hog, post hole digger.  Acres of lawn?  Finish mower.  Move dirt around?  Bucket, rear blade, box scoop.  It just depends.
View Quote

+1

I'm old enough now that I consider my front end loader one of the best investments I've ever made.

We do a lot of firewood, so a draw bar hitch and the hydraulic log splitter are nice.  We've also have a bush hog, straight blade, box blade, skid forks, and a roto tiller.

Link Posted: 2/5/2016 10:49:21 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

FEL: while you are standing at the dealer, it seems like the most expensive wheelbarrow ever.  five years later, you are like, "how did i ever get through life without a FEL?"

carryall: the name says it all.  you can get a basic L-frame weldment from Tractor Supply for $89, and then build up anything you want, of any size, onto it.   plants, firewood, sprayer, etc, all fit onto the carryall.

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 2/5/2016 11:16:26 AM EDT
[#16]

I know the question was about "essential".  But I have to say, the best money I spent was on a 3 point hook up backhoe.

If you are planting anything of any size, it is worth it.  We have about 80 fruit trees, multiple big shade trees, bushes of all kinds, etc.  Lets just say I have over 3000' of drip system.

Most of those were planted by hand before the backhoe.  Now when we need to plant one it takes maybe 5 minutes to get the hole dug, and that is in very hard ground.

I use it to deep break soil along fence lines before planting grapes or vines on them.

I deep broke our garden ground before tilling.

Laying water lines or electric lines  is great because I don't have to go rent a trencher and worry about using it for too much time and then worry about getting it back.

I dig my own trash pits to burn in, and always have all the dirt I need for any project.

I understand that some folks like to just rent a backhoe when they need one, but it is sure nice to have one instead of rent one.

Link Posted: 2/5/2016 11:52:05 AM EDT
[#17]
I've got a tractor with a FEL and have a 4 ft bush hog.  Use them both constantly. I just bought a grader blade (not box blade) and am looking into other implements.  Guy I bought the blade from has lots of used farm implements and I was looking around his place when I bought the blade and got to thinking about what I might want to buy next.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 12:14:14 PM EDT
[#18]
a wood chipper might be nice if you have a pto drive and cut a lot of trees.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 5:55:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Been there done that........it's a lot of work.   lots of  clean up. noisy as hell ,,,  If you are the OCD type....  your tractor going to be saw dust  in ever square inch      If you are in a area   you can make a  brush pile   and  get a burn permit.......  makes a great way to have burn night  with friends and a few beers  
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/5/2016 10:00:08 PM EDT
[#20]

I see what you are saying. My dad has a kabota tractor that is 10+ years old and the property that we have is so thick with brush and trees that there is no room to make a bonfire. He is thinking on getting one so we can start clearing it all out of the little stuff this summer. Also i doubt saw dust would be a problem as the tractor sits out side all the time.

Quoted:
Been there done that........it's a lot of work.   lots of  clean up. noisy as hell ,,,  If you are the OCD type....  your tractor going to be saw dust  in ever square inch      If you are in a area   you can make a  brush pile   and  get a burn permit.......  makes a great way to have burn night  with friends and a few beers  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 2/5/2016 11:31:08 PM EDT
[#21]
I know it's not an implement but a tractor needs extra hydraulic remotes.  This greatly diversifies the implements you can use.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 2:41:32 AM EDT
[#22]
Use the crap out of my diy carry all.

Also use the multi hitch a lot. Combo drawbar, 2" receiver, hook. Moves whatever trailer you have.

What category 3 point are you running?
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 10:50:16 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Also use the multi hitch a lot. Combo drawbar, 2" receiver, hook. Moves whatever trailer you have.

View Quote

Category 1.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 9:09:09 PM EDT
[#24]
FEL, bush hog, box blade, discs, auger
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 9:53:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

These are exactly what I had for years and they did 90% of what I needed.

If you're going to do a ton of fencing/building then and auger makes sense, but I just rented one for day and drilled all the holes I needed for fencing and the small chicken coop I built.  

My box blade was probably the most used implement next to the FEL.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 8:23:36 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I know it's not an implement but a tractor needs extra hydraulic remotes.  This greatly diversifies the implements you can use.
View Quote

Agreed
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 1:09:26 AM EDT
[#27]
My requirements for any future tractor purchases are front end loader and

4 wheel drive!

Doc
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 2:11:35 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Category 1.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Category 1.
Cat 1 limited? Don't get too big of attachments, make sure your tractor can use it in your conditions.

Link Posted: 2/9/2016 7:21:37 AM EDT
[#29]
If you get a fel a ratchet rake is great for clearing brush. Something else handy to have is a landscape rake.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 10:02:55 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Cat 1 limited? Don't get too big of attachments, make sure your tractor can use it in your conditions.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Category 1.

Not certain.  The tractor is a Kubota L2350DT.  It's about 25 hp.  I try to keep the implements on the smaller side to ensure I'm not beating the tractor to death.  I know the tractor can handle a 5 ft bush hog in most conditions but I run a 4 ft for that reason.  The grader blade I bought is a 6ft and it seems to handle it perfectly.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 11:33:15 AM EDT
[#31]
sounds like about the same size as ours just newer. we have a Kubota L295. pretty good tractor over all.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 1:32:36 PM EDT
[#32]
As already said:  FEL, bushhog and box blade.  

I would add:

- Ballasted tires.  I ballasted both my rears and fronts with a RV antifreeze water mix (it doesn't get that cold down here in TN).  Better traction, better stability and ballasted rear tires provide an extra counter weight to heavy FEL loads and keep your rear tires firmly planted.  This is critical since once you lift one of your rear tires, you are very close to a rollover situation since the front axle pivots and there is nothing to keep the tractor from rolling over.  In addition to ballasting my tires, I also added concrete, steel and lead wheel weights to my rear tires for an added total of 500 lbs.

Some useful links on the subject:  6 reasons to ballast your tires   How to ballast tires

- Heavy counterweight or ballast box on your 3PH.  The only way to reduce stress on your front tires and axles with a heavy FEL load is to have a fairly heavy counterweight or ballast box on your 3PH.  Ballasted rear tires will help keep your rear tires planted, but only a real 3ph counterweight  will counter the weight on the front axle, which is much weaker than the rear axle on almost all tractors.  I use my box blade with an added weight block and Ratchet Rake for a total of about 1195 lbs (see pics below).  For added usefulness, add a hitch receiver on whatever you normally have on your 3ph.  It makes moving trailers very easy.

- Carriers to hold tools, gas, chainsaws, chains etc., etc., etc.  You do NOT want to load and/or use your FEL for carrying these things.  It's one thing to inadvertently dump then run over a 1 gallon gas can.  It's another thing entirely when it's a $800 chainsaw.  Some examples:

- Finally, you need to add a rifle rack:

Good luck!

Link Posted: 2/9/2016 6:03:58 PM EDT
[#33]
Front end loader - would not buy a tractor without one.  Bucket and some type of loader forks will handle most items you use it for
Add ballast to tires, little water and anti-freeze.   This will keep your tractor on the ground when using the loader.

Mower - whatever type you need

Box Blade or use front loader bucket.
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 6:34:06 PM EDT
[#34]
Does anybody have a 4-in-1 bucket on their FEL? If so, what do you think of it? Seem like it would be really handy.

Tom
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 6:54:56 PM EDT
[#35]
I bought mine with the FEL from the get go.  That one is a no brainer unless you have a second tractor with one and don't want two.

The next thing I bought was the box blade but a heavy duty back blade may have been more flexible for me.  I do use the box blade for a counterweight and for snow pushing.  

The other main implement I bought is a 60 inch tiller for the garden.   For the size I have and the space to work in, it works better than disking.  

I am also shopping forks, a heavy duty 6 way back blade.  

It all depends on what you envision your work to be.   I am on a rock outcrop so I'm not doing any deep work.  I mostly do snow,  drive way grading, some firewood, and till the garden.
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 1:58:47 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Does anybody have a 4-in-1 bucket on their FEL? If so, what do you think of it? Seem like it would be really handy.

Tom
View Quote

What's that?

Link Posted: 2/18/2016 8:52:00 AM EDT
[#37]

Link Posted: 2/18/2016 10:08:37 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Tom
View Quote

When I was looking it made more sense to get a bucket and grapple, 4 in one is heavy and expensive then for the most part they have very small openings compared to most grapples. YMMV.

Link Posted: 2/18/2016 11:58:50 PM EDT
[#39]
Logrite logging tongs.  I pulled all these logs/trees out of my forest this past week using the Logrite tongs.  Some of those trees came up some pretty steep hills and the tongs kept the trees in tow the whole way.

A tooth bar for your FEL.  Makes digging much easier and more effective plus it makes uprooting and clearing land easier.  I have the BXExapnded Tooth Bar.  An excellent investment IMO.  Unfortunately, the dirt hides how it's installed on the FEL.  It's basically bolts on with two bolts on the side of the FEL.  About a half hour job if that.

Link Posted: 2/20/2016 2:47:12 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Tom
View Quote

Ive never used a 4 in 1 but I've heard they are heavy and take some getting used to.  They do seem handy though.

Check out a thumb for the bucket. I think the company that makes the one I looked at was green machine. Not quite the same but adds some versatility to the bucket.
Link Posted: 2/21/2016 2:06:04 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote
 This with a hydraulic top link makes all 3pt attachments much more versatile.  

Everybody loves box blades but IMO a better more user friendly tool is a Land Leveler .  A box blades purpose is to drag material where as a land leveler or land plane as people call them make grading and leveling effortless.  

Grove
Link Posted: 2/21/2016 4:40:07 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Everybody loves box blades but IMO a better more user friendly tool is a Land Leveler .  A box blades purpose is to drag material where as a land leveler or land plane as people call them make grading and leveling effortless.  

Grove
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Grove

That's my next purchase.  I just can't get over how expensive they are.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 9:22:26 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Grove

I would imagine the land plane is nearly idiot proof.   The box blade requires a little knack or know how but it's doable.   Either way both attachments will overload a small tractor.  I have a 32 hp 4wd tractor and a 5' woods box blade and if the material is wet it will stall the machine.  Dry material and I can overflow the box and be ok.

The grader has little to no other uses though.  My woods box blade I can do road maintenance, some ditching if you have room, move dirt and gravel, plow snow in forward or reverse.  It can tear up sod with the scarifiers to get at dirt to work.  

I'm not saying the land plane isn't very good at what it does, it just doesn't do much else for the money.   Hell my box blade even stays on my machine to be a counter weight to the FEL.

Grove is right but you can be pretty good with a bb especially if you spend for the top and tilt. (which I didn't).  With a bb you need to watch what the blade is doing and be ready to adjust, not so much with the plane.  I have hills so the top and tilt adjustment would be the cat's meow.  Going up or over hills changes the attack angle of the box blade relative to the ground.  That should be addressed with the top and tilt while looking versus stopping and playing turnbuckle adjustment games.
Link Posted: 3/4/2016 10:38:01 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I would imagine the land plane is nearly idiot proof.   The box blade requires a little knack or know how but it's doable.   Either way both attachments will overload a small tractor.  I have a 32 hp 4wd tractor and a 5' woods box blade and if the material is wet it will stall the machine.  Dry material and I can overflow the box and be ok.

The grader has little to no other uses though.  My woods box blade I can do road maintenance, some ditching if you have room, move dirt and gravel, plow snow in forward or reverse.  It can tear up sod with the scarifiers to get at dirt to work.  

I'm not saying the land plane isn't very good at what it does, it just doesn't do much else for the money.   Hell my box blade even stays on my machine to be a counter weight to the FEL.

Grove is right but you can be pretty good with a bb especially if you spend for the top and tilt. (which I didn't).  With a bb you need to watch what the blade is doing and be ready to adjust, not so much with the plane.  I have hills so the top and tilt adjustment would be the cat's meow.  Going up or over hills changes the attack angle of the box blade relative to the ground.  That should be addressed with the top and tilt while looking versus stopping and playing turnbuckle adjustment games.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Grove

I have a hydraulic top link and rarely even use it when dragging the land plane around.  You are correct it is totally idiot proof.  Anyone with a gravel driveway of any substantial distance it is a must have tool. Having maintained a 1/2 mile driveway for the last 20 years with box blade has made me pretty good with one and I can confidently say that for any sort of leveling or grading it is superior in every way to a box blade.  The only time I use mine is if I need the scarifiers or I want to push out bushes/stumps.  

You are correct they are expensive.  I was lucky enough to find a brand new 10-15 yr old one at a large facilities maintenance department sale. They never used it and it is heavier than most I have seen in current production. I wanted one for a long time and couldn't make myself pull the trigger until I found this one for a deal.  I wish I would have done it a long time ago.  

I also have a straight blade that I only use for pushing snow.  I would like a snow box for my loader but its hard to justify since we only get snow that needs pushing a couple times a year.  

You said your tractor is 32hp.  Does it have a loader?  What brand is it?

Grove
Link Posted: 3/4/2016 12:09:41 PM EDT
[#45]
Haven't seen it mentioned and it is a cheap add-on, bucket hooks (grab hooks sized to your tie down chain, bolted or welded to the top of the FEL bucket).  Another (for me anyway) is a mod to the 3pt lift arms like the Carter & sons EZhitch or Pat's Quick Hitch. Either makes life much easier when hooking up implements - especially if on uneven ground as they remove the need to fit implement pins through the lift arm ball ends.

Nick
Link Posted: 3/4/2016 12:19:44 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 3/4/2016 12:25:29 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 3/4/2016 4:13:29 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I have a hydraulic top link and rarely even use it when dragging the land plane around.  You are correct it is totally idiot proof.  Anyone with a gravel driveway of any substantial distance it is a must have tool. Having maintained a 1/2 mile driveway for the last 20 years with box blade has made me pretty good with one and I can confidently say that for any sort of leveling or grading it is superior in every way to a box blade.  The only time I use mine is if I need the scarifiers or I want to push out bushes/stumps.  

You are correct they are expensive.  I was lucky enough to find a brand new 10-15 yr old one at a large facilities maintenance department sale. They never used it and it is heavier than most I have seen in current production. I wanted one for a long time and couldn't make myself pull the trigger until I found this one for a deal.  I wish I would have done it a long time ago.  

I also have a straight blade that I only use for pushing snow.  I would like a snow box for my loader but its hard to justify since we only get snow that needs pushing a couple times a year.  

Grove
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Grove

Grove

Kubota B3200, yep I have a loader on it.  Their LA504.  

I use the loader and the box blade for big storms but for minor storms I just do a few runs with an ATV with a plow for the obvious speed.
Link Posted: 3/4/2016 4:28:38 PM EDT
[#49]
Hard to believe no one said Cab

Link Posted: 3/4/2016 5:22:34 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Hard to believe no one said Cab

View Quote

If it was a good combo and with heat and ac.  

I'd love one for snow season but I get by.  I also go on woods trails so it wouldn't work for me.  

I love the looks of the sister tractor to mine the B3300 that has a hard cab but it also lacks some other stuff that the B3200 had.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top