Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/24/2015 5:18:07 PM EDT
Is there a bush type of tomato plant that stays small?
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 5:46:58 PM EDT
[#1]
My brothers wife is growing some heirlooms that seem like miniatures.  Plants were small and tomatoes were salad sized.  I don't know if they were specific breeds for that or if it was a soil/fertilizer thing.  The tomatoes looked great.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 8:35:27 PM EDT
[#2]
I had to look into this earlier this year, so there's probably 100x more info than this.  The difference comes down to whether the plant is "determinate" (bushes) or "indeterminate" (tall).  

I got seeds for paisano tomatoes and johnny's seeds lists them as determinate.  I was looking for a mostly fleshy tomato for fall harvest.  Apparently these will be little bushes instead of tall vines.  Lets hope so too, because I would have grown a lot more if I wasn't expecting little bushes.

Link fro more info - http://faq.gardenweb.com/discussions/2766765/what-is-the-difference-between-determinate-and-indeterminate-tomatoes
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 5:57:50 AM EDT
[#3]
I don't know about full-size tomatoes, but if cherries will do I can heartily recommend Lizzanos.  Very tough, produce for a long time... they just seem to keep going and going.  And they taste good too.  Quickly becoming my favorite cherry tomato.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 9:19:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don't know about full-size tomatoes, but if cherries will do I can heartily recommend Lizzanos.  Very tough, produce for a long time... they just seem to keep going and going.  And they taste good too.  Quickly becoming my favorite cherry tomato.
View Quote

Thanks, so the plants do not run all over?
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 3:32:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope.  The ones we've had we've raised in containers, and they stay pretty small and compact... the aboveground part of the plant would fit nicely into the average beach ball.  They're very productive, though.

I've been so impressed with them that I've potted up and given quite a few away to friends.  One guy told me last year he wished it would hurry up and freeze because he was tired of picking tomatoes off the darn thing.

Wish I had some decent pics, but the chickens got to ours this year .  One of 'em that was completely stripped bare of all fruit and leaves is actually trying to make a comeback... might post a pic of that one once it gets light out this morning.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 8:49:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Nope.  The ones we've had we've raised in containers, and they stay pretty small and compact... the aboveground part of the plant would fit nicely into the average beach ball.  They're very productive, though.

I've been so impressed with them that I've potted up and given quite a few away to friends.  One guy told me last year he wished it would hurry up and freeze because he was tired of picking tomatoes off the darn thing.

Wish I had some decent pics, but the chickens got to ours this year .  One of 'em that was completely stripped bare of all fruit and leaves is actually trying to make a comeback... might post a pic of that one once it gets light out this morning.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks  i'm tired of tomatoes running all over.  Luckily, our new pygmy goat is pruning the Romas I planted this year.
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 2:31:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top