Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 104
Posted: 6/30/2015 12:36:50 PM EDT
As I posted a few weeks ago, I got a new tractor.  Man it was expensive, but DAMN this thing is handy.  I got it mostly to mow a field, but I use it for a lot of other stuff.  We had a storm blow through, and the tractor was a big help in getting a big limb cleaned up.  This is a small thing, but recently I changed my sister's oil and used it to carry the low profile ramps I made from the barn up to the driveway.  Of course I could have carried these by hand, but a tractor makes it a million times easier.  What did you do with your tractor(s) today?

" />
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 8:44:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By sublimeshooter:

Not the OP of that, but...  That angle straight up and down is nothing for a tractor loader or not. I'll be doing some mowing tomorrow and get you a pic of something more nerve racking but still totally safe.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Kitties-with-Sigs:

Question by dumb tractor enthusiast who has never used a loader...

That angle looks like nothing I would have ever done with the older tractors I used. (But we did not use loaders with ours.)

Are you using the back blade for stability as you crawl up that berm and move that load of dirt?

Not the OP of that, but...  That angle straight up and down is nothing for a tractor loader or not. I'll be doing some mowing tomorrow and get you a pic of something more nerve racking but still totally safe.
I could drive over the berm if I wanted to. Tractor is in 4x4.

The back blade is on there for a little extra weight to counter the weight on the loader. It just coincidentally is touching the ground....not a planned event.

I was using the loader to lift the RR ties into place. I had to muscle them into place but by using the loader it made it a lot easier. The dirt was already there.
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 8:57:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By kukri:

Did you nail that lumber to the trees?  Good idea, was planning to use filled IBC totes for my berm but I like your approach better.
View Quote
I hammered in 4 eight foot T posts and the T posts support the RR ties from tipping over. I plan to run a 2x6 across the top and bolt them together. The T posts are ok but on the right side it's not as stable as I'd like. I plan to add a couple of 2-3 inch pipe posts behind the ties to support it.

I'm going to get two more dump truck loads of dirt and push it up to the top of the berm against the RR ties.
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 9:07:18 AM EDT
[#3]

I do not see any "how I tied this down to my trailer" posts in my "Adventures in Trailering" thread.  

View Quote
Top of page 10, it's been there a couple days now:  http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_10_19/684928_Kitties--Trailer-Adventures---NOW-Show-Me-Your-Trailer-and-How-you-Tie-Down-Loads-.html&page=10
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 9:24:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Muad:
I just told the Wife I need a brush hog. My paths that lead into the woods are grown up to about my knees, same with the one clearing down in the woods. I need to get those taken care of ASAP. 

Any recomendations? On a budget. Any brands to stay away from? 
View Quote
I have a 4ft King Kutter. King Kutter isn't the top of the line but it's ok for homeowner use. I have no complaints. Usually reasonably priced.
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 9:33:10 AM EDT
[#5]
I just told the Wife I need a brush hog. My paths that lead into the woods are grown up to about my knees, same with the one clearing down in the woods. I need to get those taken care of ASAP. 

View Quote
Stay away from county line.  I've got a brush hog finish mower and I'm very impressed with it and I think they are more on the budget side for the "brush hogs".
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 9:42:34 AM EDT
[#6]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By teeli:
https://s22.postimg.org/5y8ks09fl/IMG_9314.jpg
Starting some clearing with dozer

https://s29.postimg.org/qnnjvz02v/IMG_9379.jpg

75 needs a bath

Stopped to help the neighbors do some clearing and mowing

https://s3.postimg.org/6jlew75wj/IMG_9350.jpg

A little more clearing
https://s10.postimg.org/lye5ko6nd/IMG_9690.jpg

Keep your eyes on Craig's list.
G2g brands

Deere (not frontier)
Land Pride
Woods
Modern
Rhino
Schultz
Bushhog

All of those above are known for durability and have easy to get parts.
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 10:30:23 AM EDT
[#7]

View Quote
Brush hog's are pretty generic, I don't think brand matters much.  Something with a clutch is nice but the only feature I think is a must have is a stump jumper.   It looks like a big dish underneath where the blades attach vs just a bar that the blades attach to on a standard model.
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 10:44:06 AM EDT
[#8]

Brush hog's are pretty generic, I don't think brand matters much.  Something with a clutch is nice but the only feature I think is a must have is a stump jumper.   It looks like a big dish underneath where the blades attach vs just a bar that the blades attach to on a standard model.
View Quote
I prefer a shear bolt simply because the slip clutches usually seize up after sitting and then don't do their job. It is a bit of a nuisance to replace shear bolts but they always work.
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 11:36:01 AM EDT
[#9]
View All Quotes

All reputable manufacturers will include a stump jumper. A slip clutch is a must have. Either use your mower often enough that it will not seize, or learn to slip it at the beginning of mowing season. Both are easy to do.

The difference in my list and "pretty generic" is if I want to replace a lip seal on a leaking gearbox, I can get one in 24-48 hours for brands above. For your generic brush hog, good luck. The same goes with blades and other gear box components
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 12:51:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kitties-with-Sigs] [#10]
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 12:53:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 1:00:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Teeli, is that you?  Or your neighbor?  

Either way, looks like somebody worth knowing.
View All Quotes
https://s22.postimg.org/5y8ks09fl/IMG_9314.jpg
Starting some clearing with dozer

https://s29.postimg.org/qnnjvz02v/IMG_9379.jpg

75 needs a bath

Stopped to help the neighbors do some clearing and mowing

https://s3.postimg.org/6jlew75wj/IMG_9350.jpg

A little more clearing
https://s10.postimg.org/lye5ko6nd/IMG_9690.jpg
Teeli, is that you?  Or your neighbor?  

Either way, looks like somebody worth knowing.
That's 'ol Leon Thibedeaux.
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 1:11:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Attachment Attached File

About 70 yards cleared now, that'll do for this summer.
5075 in the back with me driving for scale.
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 11:42:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By ColtRifle:

I hammered in 4 eight foot T posts and the T posts support the RR ties from tipping over. I plan to run a 2x6 across the top and bolt them together. The T posts are ok but on the right side it's not as stable as I'd like. I plan to add a couple of 2-3 inch pipe posts behind the ties to support it.

I'm going to get two more dump truck loads of dirt and push it up to the top of the berm against the RR ties.
View Quote
See if you can find some old phone poles or 12ft poles at Lowes or a farm store. Put them in the ground 4-5ft next to the ties then drill the poles and lag bolt the ties to them. That should secure them pretty well. Unless the cattle start using it for a scratching post when it's wet they should stay.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 9:12:19 AM EDT
[#15]
I have put old tires over steel post filled with dirt for bullet stops before.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 9:29:39 PM EDT
[#16]
First modification. A simple fiberglass rod zip tied to the front bumper. I hate driving through spiderwebs.

Then removed a few old stumps and fallen tree trunks. Used the box blade to level it out a bit.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 11:53:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Its_The_Kid] [#17]
So not tractor related...but close enough...

Anyone else been noticing the giant cloud of gnats flying around in fields lately? I've never seen so many, passed by a cloud of them today and thought it was just a patch of fog...nope....gnats!
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 1:03:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Thanks for the recommendations on the brush hogs guys.

Link Posted: 6/2/2017 1:33:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Thanks for the recommendations on the brush hogs guys.

View Quote
Also, just some observations.

Multi spindle rotary brush cutters don't cut nearly as well as single spindle.

Almost all of them windrow, but lower height in the back combined with chains help minimize it and mulch everything out even.

Anything over 7' even harder to cut pretty, unless you are only chipping off pastures or mulching heavily wooded brush and don't care about finish.

My MX6 cuts as pretty as my zero turn mowers do.

MX5 is the best 5' brush hog I've ever seen. Same with MX6 for rotary cutting, all brands included. Between the high blade tip speed and deep Deep cutting chamber it pulls very strong vacuum and cuts very very well.

Nothing wrong with any of the other brands listed above and depending on goal some are better than others. For clipping pastures, the John Deere reigns supreme. I let my pastures get 24-36" and then clip down to about 4-6". It looks like I used a fleet of zero turns.
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 11:07:41 AM EDT
[#20]

Also, just some observations.

Multi spindle rotary brush cutters don't cut nearly as well as single spindle.

Almost all of them windrow, but lower height in the back combined with chains help minimize it and mulch everything out even.

Anything over 7' even harder to cut pretty, unless you are only chipping off pastures or mulching heavily wooded brush and don't care about finish.

My MX6 cuts as pretty as my zero turn mowers do.

MX5 is the best 5' brush hog I've ever seen. Same with MX6 for rotary cutting, all brands included. Between the high blade tip speed and deep Deep cutting chamber it pulls very strong vacuum and cuts very very well.

Nothing wrong with any of the other brands listed above and depending on goal some are better than others. For clipping pastures, the John Deere reigns supreme. I let my pastures get 24-36" and then clip down to about 4-6". It looks like I used a fleet of zero turns.
View Quote
Good to know, thanks for the added details. 

I want one for the one pasture, and for clearing lanes/paths in my woods. I have a few that you can drive a truck through, and I want to keep them clear. 

I may also use it to cut down on the time mowing my wife does on the rider. 
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 11:16:50 AM EDT
[#21]
Finally got my fuel issues figured out...dirty connection at the fuel pressure regulator. So frustrating, been fighting this issue for months because the code was low pressure then today I unplugged the battery for half an hour and it gave the same old code plus a new code. Cleaned the connection, reset the codes and mowed for an hour no issues.

Anyone have anything old with a carburetor they want to sell
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 11:51:18 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By sea2summit:
Finally got my fuel issues figured out...dirty connection at the fuel pressure regulator. So frustrating, been fighting this issue for months because the code was low pressure then today I unplugged the battery for half an hour and it gave the same old code plus a new code. Cleaned the connection, reset the codes and mowed for an hour no issues.

View Quote
I've tinkered with many a carb in my days. Best description I've heard to describe a carburetor is "a highly technical, precision made device ....that doesn't work very well"

Give me fuel injection any day....gas or diesel.
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 11:54:47 AM EDT
[#23]

I've tinkered with many a carb in my days. Best description I've heard to describe a carburetor is "a highly technical, precision made device ....that doesn't work very well"

View Quote
I can tinker with a carb, I can even take one apart and get it back together with only a few left over parts

But the damn electronics associated with fuel injection I can't hit with a hammer or throw grease on so I can't fix them
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 11:57:44 AM EDT
[#24]

View Quote
Good to hear. 

Ya gotta love them electronics... 
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 1:00:56 PM EDT
[#25]

View Quote
Had a guy come I to Lowe's when I worked there and asked if we sold fuel injected carbs for weed eaters...
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 8:07:00 PM EDT
[#26]
Not today, but I haven't been on a computer in a while...

I knocked down a mound of dirt in the yard of the house we're selling, and a couple days later spread out a few yards of dirt to fill in a low spot.

Attachment Attached File

I'll probably rent a roller sometime this week just to pack everything down good, and we'll spread some grass seed over it.  The rear blade worked great for spreading though, best $75 spent in a while!
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 10:39:03 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By DOUGHERTY03:
First modification. A simple fiberglass rod zip tied to the front bumper. I hate driving through spiderwebs.
http://i829.photobucket.com/albums/zz220/dougherty0311/Arfcom%20Stuff/20170601_133845_zps2vflrr0w.jpg

Then removed a few old stumps and fallen tree trunks. Used the box blade to level it out a bit.
http://i829.photobucket.com/albums/zz220/dougherty0311/Arfcom%20Stuff/20170601_170232_zpspgxzoeoe.jpg
View Quote
I hate those big assed spider webs that usually have a big assed spider right in the middle.

I have a place where I go shooting and I usually get a big stick to hold in front of me when I am riding my four wheeler to get there.

There are tons of those webs in the summer.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 1:46:40 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 11:34:13 AM EDT
[#29]
Whatever that thing is, obviously sat awhile... Look at the lack of roundness in that rear tire. haha
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 1:36:58 PM EDT
[#30]

Whatever that thing is, obviously sat awhile... Look at the lack of roundness in that rear tire. haha
View Quote
Well the drivetrain also appears to be absent.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 1:40:09 PM EDT
[#31]
View All Quotes

Nope. it's all there.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 1:40:35 PM EDT
[#32]

View Quote
Rice buggy.

This particular one has been sitting about 20 years.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 2:01:36 PM EDT
[#33]
Whatcha gonna do with it?
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 3:12:40 PM EDT
[#34]
Whatcha gonna do with it?
View Quote
It's being used as part of an obstacle for the texas regional of the arfcom cola warrior event coming up this weekend.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 6:49:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Its_The_Kid] [#35]

It's being used as part of an obstacle for the texas regional of the arfcom cola warrior event coming up this weekend.
View Quote
What you mean to say is its getting a built cummins and built driveline and is going to be participating in tractor pulls.....right....RIGHT?

tbh can actually see that becoming a pulling.....buggy...thing

Anyway, not a tractor, but throwback to using a machine for things other then it was built for and blowing the rad hose up.....might be the reason actual front loaders were acquired XD
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 7:01:53 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Its_The_Kid:

What you mean to say is its getting a built cummins and built driveline and is going to be participating in tractor pulls.....right....RIGHT?

tbh can actually see that becoming a pulling.....buggy...thing

Anyway, not a tractor, but throwback to using a machine for things other then it was built for and blowing the rad hose up.....might be the reason actual front loaders were acquired XD
https://scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/1479121_10200257208192571_1573217586_n.jpg?oh=7e1dadde224346cd665bca01dc33c45e&oe=59A21B34
View Quote
Yeah, they pull pretty hard. this one has a tall block 292 and muncie SM420 transmission. granny gear is in the 7:1 ratio, non sync'd. It has a sync'd 2-3-4. the second transmission and rear end reduce the ratio even more. all the weight is up front. the back is just a flatbed. The engine is strong on this one, but i need to gut and rebuild the transmission up front. these were used for rice havesting from the 50's through the early 80's or 90's in the rice belt along southern LA and SE TX.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 7:05:31 PM EDT
[#37]

Yeah, they pull pretty hard. this one has a tall block 292 and muncie SM420 transmission. granny gear is in the 7:1 ratio, non sync'd. It has a sync'd 2-3-4. the second transmission and rear end reduce the ratio even more. all the weight is up front. the back is just a flatbed. The engine is strong on this one, but i need to gut and rebuild the transmission up front. these were used for rice havesting from the 50's through the early 80's or 90's in the rice belt along southern LA and SE TX.
View Quote
10/10 granny gear best pulling gear
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 7:40:49 PM EDT
[#38]
Changed hydraulic filters for the 200 he service...hmmmm.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 8:26:44 PM EDT
[#39]
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/326526/IMG-2640-223331.JPG
View Quote
Cut the filter open and see what is in it.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 8:32:27 PM EDT
[#40]
something don't look so bueno
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 9:13:46 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Pavelow16478:

Cut the filter open and see what is in it.
View Quote
Am I looking for something special? I did set it to the side.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 9:14:48 PM EDT
[#42]
something don't look so bueno
View Quote
I've been researching and this seems to be common at the 50, 200 as well if you don't change the fluid at 50.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 10:08:23 PM EDT
[#43]
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/326526/IMG-2640-223331.JPG
View Quote
Looks like something got a little hot.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 10:50:36 PM EDT
[#44]
Yea the gaskets aren't supposed to look tore up like that, slice that thing open and make sure there isn't any pieces of gasket, metal...or anything not supposed to be in there.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 11:01:17 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By sparkyD:

Looks like something got a little hot.
View Quote
My thoughts too
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 11:10:52 PM EDT
[#46]

I've been researching and this seems to be common at the 50, 200 as well if you don't change the fluid at 50.
View Quote
I bet it's fine.  It's a filter....it's supposed to filter out crap!  Earlier I posted a pic of my tractor's hydraulic filter when I changed it.  It looked really bad...but that means it was doing its job.  

Think about how many gallons of fluid have been filtered through that filter.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 11:44:29 PM EDT
[#47]

I bet it's fine.  It's a filter....it's supposed to filter out crap!  Earlier I posted a pic of my tractor's hydraulic filter when I changed it.  It looked really bad...but that means it was doing its job.  
Think about how many gallons of fluid have been filtered through that filter.
View Quote
Don't think rubber gaskets are supposed to be eat up like that, atleast the ones I've changed havent been
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 11:47:18 PM EDT
[#48]

Don't think rubber gaskets are supposed to be eat up like that, atleast the ones I've changed havent been
View Quote
Those look like metal shavings; I don't think the gasket is torn up.
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 4:33:08 AM EDT
[#49]
Yea the gaskets aren't supposed to look tore up like that, slice that thing open and make sure there isn't any pieces of gasket, metal...or anything not supposed to be in there.
View Quote
That's a big magnet, not a gasket.
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 8:50:58 AM EDT
[#50]
View All Quotes
My eyes aren't as good as they used to be. You should have some dust but not shavings. My guess would be you are fixing to have a bearing or a gear drive in the transmission going out. My guess would be the pto. I would still cut the top off of the filter and pull some of the cardboard out. Then squeeze the oil out with a vice. Then unfold the cardboard and look for aluminum shavings.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 104
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top