Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/21/2015 1:30:34 PM EDT
Well, the season is upon us and today I finally got around to up potting some tomatoes. In total I have 106 tomato plants and about 65 pepper plants.
I have officially outgrown my grow light set-up and will be building another one tomorrow. Still have to plant squash, melons, etc...
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 8:49:56 AM EDT
[#1]
I just got all of my tomatoes up into the garage so that I can start hardening them off.
In total I have 100 that have made it. Varieties include: Amish Paste, San Marzano, Blue Berries, Solar Flare, Gooseberry, Principe Borghese, Yellow Pear, Red Pear, Honey Bunch Grape, Chadwick, Black Plum, Martinos Roma, Romeo (Very Rare) and some Family Heirlooms.

I will update later with my Peppers, Zukes, Squash and Melons.
Link Posted: 5/14/2015 12:24:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 12:40:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Around what time of year do you normally plant them in the garden?
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 1:06:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm guessing juneish..

When I live up there, it was stil pretty crisp at night in May sometimes.   I didn't garden then so it's just a hunch.
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 10:29:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I'm guessing juneish..

When I live up there, it was stil pretty crisp at night in May sometimes.   I didn't garden then so it's just a hunch.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm guessing juneish..

last year we planted most of our vegetables in early June. I may try to get some stuff in the ground a little earlier this year. This is only my second year in Maine. Back in NY where I am from, most of our stuff would be in the ground around this week. I will update this thread as we get stuff planted in the ground. I am also doing a separate garden in one of my fields this year to isolate some rare varieties of plants for seed saving. I was going to bag flowers but decided that we have enough space that I can put in a separate garden just for the purpose of preventing unwanted crosses.
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 10:36:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 10:50:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

If you have heirloom tomatoes you'd be willing to share, save some extra seed this fall and I would be happy to send you some money for them.  My family has lost out on all the heirlooms (long story) and I can't find any like them.

So would love to try yours. Don't know how they'll do down here, but don't mind trying and failing next year.

kitties
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm guessing juneish..

last year we planted most of our vegetables in early June. I may try to get some stuff in the ground a little earlier this year. This is only my second year in Maine. Back in NY where I am from, most of our stuff would be in the ground around this week. I will update this thread as we get stuff planted in the ground. I am also doing a separate garden in one of my fields this year to isolate some rare varieties of plants for seed saving. I was going to bag flowers but decided that we have enough space that I can put in a separate garden just for the purpose of preventing unwanted crosses.

If you have heirloom tomatoes you'd be willing to share, save some extra seed this fall and I would be happy to send you some money for them.  My family has lost out on all the heirlooms (long story) and I can't find any like them.

So would love to try yours. Don't know how they'll do down here, but don't mind trying and failing next year.

kitties

I am more than willing to send you some seeds "free of charge". If all goes well this growing season, I will compile a list with pictures of the different varieties and whatever you would like, I will send you some. All that I ask is that you return the favor to someone else that is interested in seeds and continue adding your input to the beekeeping thread
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 10:52:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 11:38:46 PM EDT
[#9]
I do not participate in the seed exchange. I have only shared some seeds with close friends as well as members here. Please tell me what kind of seeds you are interested in and send me a PM with your address and I will send you some seeds right away. I will also send you some rare heirloom seeds in the fall!
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 1:01:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 7:51:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Got the garden tilled and ready for planting today
While the guy was here, I had him make me another 25'x50' garden in a different field for the purpose of isolating some rare plants for seed saving.
So besides the blueberry and raspberry patches
We have a strawberry garden that is 36'x34'
Our main Garden is 130'x70'
And our new "isolation garden" is 50'x25'
I think I may have a problem/ addiction
Here is the new garden

And the main garden getting tilled
Link Posted: 5/17/2015 9:23:30 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
While the guy was here, I had him make me another 25'x50' garden in a different field for the purpose of isolating some rare plants for seed saving.
View Quote

Yeah, but what a problem to have  I have space envy.
Link Posted: 5/17/2015 9:45:41 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I had the same problem when I lived in NJ. I kept expanding my garden year after year. The difference was that I had a 30'x40' and it took up a good portion of my back yard. We only had 1 acre and were very limited with space. Now I feel like I have a mini farm
If all goes well this year, I plan on purchasing a bunch of bare root stock and grafting some of our favorite apple trees that I will sell.
BTW: you have an awesome set-up
Link Posted: 5/17/2015 11:12:59 AM EDT
[#14]
Amazing OP.  This will be my first year attempting some peppers and some tomatoes.  I'd kill for enough space to put that big of a garden in, but on base I am limited to 5 gallon buckets.  

Tag for future pictures
Link Posted: 5/17/2015 7:24:44 PM EDT
[#15]
You better get going!

Link Posted: 5/17/2015 11:51:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

EXCELLENT!

When we get to that part of the seed starting thread, I hope you'll come in and talk about your light setup.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I just got all of my tomatoes up into the garage so that I can start hardening them off.
In total I have 100 that have made it. Varieties include: Amish Paste, San Marzano, Blue Berries, Solar Flare, Gooseberry, Principe Borghese, Yellow Pear, Red Pear, Honey Bunch Grape, Chadwick, Black Plum, Martinos Roma, Romeo (Very Rare) and some Family Heirlooms.
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f224/jpmako/Mobile%20Uploads/BC0FC9CD-FD54-4ACF-B725-4D355D2255A2.jpg
I will update later with my Peppers, Zukes, Squash and Melons.

EXCELLENT!

When we get to that part of the seed starting thread, I hope you'll come in and talk about your light setup.

I may be able to supply you with a couple healthy Ky heirloom plants if you are close.
Link Posted: 5/17/2015 11:56:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Here is the new garden
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f224/jpmako/Mobile%20Uploads/AC801F63-C9DD-4866-92B9-3BE5B140886A.jpg
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f224/jpmako/Mobile%20Uploads/4CF27496-C50D-439C-AE6E-B6CF3CAFBD93.jpg
View Quote

Great looking sites and good looking soil.  Next time try and hire a tiller that is as wide as back tires or close. That tractor looks like it does as much compacting as tilling. You will have better luck.
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 8:40:31 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Great looking sites and good looking soil.  Next time try and hire a tiller that is as wide as back tires or close. That tractor looks like it does as much compacting as tilling. You will have better luck.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Here is the new garden
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f224/jpmako/Mobile%20Uploads/AC801F63-C9DD-4866-92B9-3BE5B140886A.jpg
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f224/jpmako/Mobile%20Uploads/4CF27496-C50D-439C-AE6E-B6CF3CAFBD93.jpg

Thanks,
The guy offsets the tiller and he went over it two times. If I don't find a decent used tiller for my tractor, I am going to buy a new one for next season.
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 1:36:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I had the same problem when I lived in NJ. I kept expanding my garden year after year. The difference was that I had a 30'x40' and it took up a good portion of my back yard. We only had 1 acre and were very limited with space. Now I feel like I have a mini farm
If all goes well this year, I plan on purchasing a bunch of bare root stock and grafting some of our favorite apple trees that I will sell.
BTW: you have an awesome set-up
View Quote

Thanks!  Some day I hope to have a set-up like you do.  Until then, I will keep trying to maximize and appreciate what I have.
In the meantime it is nice to watch the folks who do have the space and the lessons learned, etc.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 11:40:07 AM EDT
[#20]
Got most of my plants onto my small trailer connected to one of the four wheelers so that I don't have to carry everything outside.
This should make hardening off much easier and less time consuming

Link Posted: 5/27/2015 11:42:10 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Got most of my plants onto my small trailer connected to one of the four wheelers so that I don't have to carry everything outside.
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f224/jpmako/Mobile%20Uploads/4D83D7C3-B915-4052-B627-02EBC440C335.jpg
View Quote

Cheater!

Looks like something I would do.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 11:53:30 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Cheater!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f224/jpmako/Mobile%20Uploads/4D83D7C3-B915-4052-B627-02EBC440C335.jpg

Cheater!

Work smarter, not harder It was becoming a pain in the ass to move all of this stuff around one tray at a time. Now we all move together.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 12:04:12 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Work smarter, not harder It was becoming a pain in the ass to move all of this stuff around one tray at a time. Now we all move together.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cheater!

Of course. I do the same thing with the garden carts.
We don't start so many seedlings at a time just yet. We need to get heating mats and another light first.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 5:30:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Great work!
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 10:59:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 7:49:43 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Wonderful idea!  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wonderful idea!  

Definitely!  I think you get garden hack of the week for that one .
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 2:03:33 PM EDT
[#27]
Finally got everything in the ground yesterday.
Here is a pano of the garden. I will take some close ups when things get a little bigger.
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 8:33:59 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 4:49:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Have been really busy and traveling for the last few weeks. I had someone "watch" the gardens while we were away.
They picked 4 gallons of strawberries and two days ago we harvested some for ourselves. I also pulled all of our garlic. Here are a few pics of the harvest.

I will get out and get some garden photos over the next few days.
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 10:32:05 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 8:46:08 AM EDT
[#31]
Strawberries are done now. Low bush Blueberries are in high gear. We have picked about 4 gallons and have about 100 or so gallons left to pick if we only had the time.
We purchased 4 Blueberry rakes last week so things should go a little quicker from now on
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 12:31:08 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 9:12:58 AM EDT
[#33]
Out first haul of pickling cucumbers yielded 24 lbs. Today I am going to pick some
Beans and make some Dilly Beans

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top