Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/19/2014 10:47:32 PM EDT
My wife and I moved into a home that has a custom built fireplace. It has steel walls on the inside and an ironstone facade on the outside. The former owners never had doors installed- just a screen for safety. Has anyone purchased glass doors for a fireplace, more specifically with an archway on top? I'm assuming it would have to be customized. I've browsed a few websites, and it seems I would be half way to buying an insert at the prices these custom websites are asking.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 12:12:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Get an insert or free standing stove. Fireplaces look nice but that is about all that they are good for.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 7:01:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Get an insert or free standing stove. Fireplaces look nice but that is about all that they are good for.
View Quote

Based on the description of the fireplace by the OP it sounds like it could very well be a zero clearance.  Very few zero clearance fireplaces are rated for inserts.  Installing an insert in one could have negative consequences for the OP.

I would consult a fireplace professional for an assessment before proceeding.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 8:22:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Based on the description of the fireplace by the OP it sounds like it could very well be a zero clearance.  Very few zero clearance fireplaces are rated for inserts.  Installing an insert in one could have negative consequences for the OP.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good advice! If it is zero clearance there is a chance you could find an energy efficient zero clearance to fit the opening and just replace it...
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 9:59:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

At this point, I'm just looking for reasonably priced glass doors. I'm not home frequently enough to manage a wood stove, and my wife had no interest in doing so. I know it's actually an energy sucker in this state, but I have to keep the wife happy.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 10:52:25 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

At this point, I'm just looking for reasonably priced glass doors. I'm not home frequently enough to manage a wood stove, and my wife had no interest in doing so. I know it's actually an energy sucker in this state, but I have to keep the wife happy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

My wood burning insert doesn't require much management...

I load it in the morning when I wake up, then again when I get home after work, and then top it off before bed; stays burning the whole time.  The fire only goes out when I need to clean the ash out.

When I get up in the morning & home in evening, the wood is all gone but there's a bed of blazing hot coals 2+ inches deep and the new wood immediately lights right up.

Link Posted: 11/20/2014 12:00:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I load it in the morning when I wake up, then again when I get home after work, and then top it off before bed; stays burning the whole time.  The fire only goes out when I need to clean the ash out.

When I get up in the morning & home in evening, the wood is all gone but there's a bed of blazing hot coals 2+ inches deep and the new wood immediately lights right up.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A majority of the reason I'm not looking into an insert is for budgetary reasons. I just don't have the money for the up front cost of one.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 12:10:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Take some measurements and head out to a stove shop and they should be able to point you in the right direction.
For now, make sure that you shut down your damper so as not to have all of your heat go up the chimney
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 3:40:13 PM EDT
[#8]
If you get doors, look into adding a blower fan if possible.  Those usually are around $100 and will improve your efficiency.  

I have the fan on mine and am debating on adding doors.  I found some for $350 but might just stash that away in a fund for a future insert.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 10:45:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
If you get doors, look into adding a blower fan if possible.  Those usually are around $100 and will improve your efficiency.  

I have the fan on mine and am debating on adding doors.  I found some for $350 but might just stash that away in a fund for a future insert.
View Quote

That's good advice. My parents have a blower on their fireplace but claim that it blows out smoke. Have you experienced that at all?
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 9:26:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

That's good advice. My parents have a blower on their fireplace but claim that it blows out smoke. Have you experienced that at all?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I never get smoke blown out but we have a prefab fireplace.  There is dead air surrounding it and that air gets heated and the blower is located in the bottom portion of the dead air space.  At my old house the blower was incased in a metal piece of duct work that was above the fireplace.  That blew out some pretty good heat.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top