Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/21/2014 5:23:05 PM EDT
My first thread was archived.

For the most part last year was a bust. So far, this year is looking much better. I decided to try growing potatoes again. Last year, I got two potatoes for every potato planted. Instead of planting them in beds like last time, I decided to grow them in cages. The cages are made from 2"x4" wire mesh. Each cage has a 7' circumference, stands 18" tall and covered in septic fabric or weed block. Five seed potatoes were placed in each cage and covered with 4" of compost. I'm using dried grass clippings to hill them.

The plants closest to the fence died off first. Since the fence is facing south, I suspect heat is being reflected off the wood and onto the plants.

I'm growing three varieties. Yukon Gold, Pontiac Red and Adirondack Blue. The gold and red were planted in February. The blues in March. I need to find a supplier that can get me seed potatoes in December. Planting in Feb. and March doesn't leave much time before the heat gets to them. I have also planted Vardeman sweet potatoes. I was able to over winter some cutting to grow this year.

Take note. Septic fabric cannot withstand weedwacker attacks. Also, putting cages right next to each other makes weeding a bitch.

The Yukon Gold were planted against the fence. These died off first and was harvested today.

All cleaned up and ready to go into the pot.

Top Top