Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/15/2014 8:23:07 AM EDT
No, seriously; the real killer was the asparagus.  Once I started eating the stuff from my garden I just couldn't get myself to pay for the crap in the grocery store anymore.  The garden stuff is so much better that the store-bought no longer looks appealing.  I only have 1/4 acre yard ...this could be a problem.  LOL.  The ones I most notice the difference on are:

Blackberries
Asparagus
tomatoes
sugar snaps
figs* (hard to find fresh at all)

Anybody else run into this?  Since I only have a limited amount of space, can you share which produce you notice the most difference in?  I'm debating shifting my garden beds to the stuff where it is really noticeable since I don't have room for everything.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 9:00:56 AM EDT
[#1]
I would not say it has ruined me, but, I am much less likely to purchase items now that are grown at home.  I don;t buy in to the 'taste better' argument as much as the economics of it.

Why buy  green onions for 1.99 a bunch, when I have 250 growing in the garden for under 10 bucks?

Why buy lettuce, or tomatoes, or peppers when I can grow my own for soooo much lower cost per plant?

It's also made me much more aware of what is a natural season for a a plant.  For instance, at Wal-Mart yesterday, there were cantaloupes on sale for 1.99 each.  Not a bad price, really.  A pack of seed will cost a buck, and it takes 90 days of care and feeding.  I can grow them, but, it will be 90 days from now before I can harvest any.  They are also not a root crop, so, they would just being going in the ground as seed right now, at best.

2 bucks for one right now?  Sure, fair enough.

A fellow grocer asked me, "Are these from around here, locally?"

Uh, no, lady .. they ain't.  

TRG
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 9:33:09 AM EDT
[#2]
LOL.  No, I don't notice for everything, as I said.  Onions, meh, who cares.  Potatoes?  Again, whatever.  Asparagas?  I really notice, mainly in the freshness factor.  Tomatoes are often a different variety and I notice a taste difference.  What I am looking for is what produce DOES have a big difference, so I make sure to include them in my yard if I can.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 10:01:19 AM EDT
[#3]
I have friends and colleagues that flip out over how much better my hen's eggs taste to them compared to 'store bought'.... I mean, they go nuts.

Maybe my taste buds are wired funny, but ... egg tastes like egg.

TRG
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 10:19:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Tomatoes.  When they ripen fully before being picked they are much better.  You pay a lot for that luxury at the grocery store because they won't last long.
Most fruits: same reason as tomatoes.

Snow Peas / sugar snap peas, bell peppers, some kinds of lettuce, fresh herbs:  they start to lose their crisp pretty quick after being picked.

Most root veggies, squash, gourds, beans etc.  will not make much difference.

Link Posted: 4/15/2014 10:55:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
No, seriously; the real killer was the asparagus.  Once I started eating the stuff from my garden I just couldn't get myself to pay for the crap in the grocery store anymore.  The garden stuff is so much better that the store-bought no longer looks appealing.  I only have 1/4 acre yard ...this could be a problem.  LOL.  The ones I most notice the difference on are:

Blackberries
Asparagus
tomatoes
sugar snaps
figs* (hard to find fresh at all)

Anybody else run into this?  Since I only have a limited amount of space, can you share which produce you notice the most difference in?  I'm debating shifting my garden beds to the stuff where it is really noticeable since I don't have room for everything.
View Quote

This and sweet corn are big ones for me.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 12:27:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Egg tastes like egg to me too (my sister has hens).  But 10 minute old asparagus from the garden tastes a heck of a lot better than days old asparagus in the store.  It even looks better.  The stuff just does not store well. (no pun intended).
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 12:36:35 PM EDT
[#7]
The way food prices are going...we all may have a garden soon!
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 1:18:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 3:28:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 5:04:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Asparagus turns woody/fiberous/coarse when its over a day old.

I planted 200 crowns last year in a new plot, and intend to eat it all.

We don't buy tomatoes from the store because they don't taste right either.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 1:08:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The way food prices are going...we all may have a garden soon!
View Quote

As it should be.

I'm amazed that people will pay a buck for a rock-hard, tasteless croquet ball of a tomato imported from Chile rather than stick even a single tomato plant in their backyard.

My stuff I really notice a difference in are asparagus, tomatoes, sweet corn... and strawberries.

Hey, you're "super"mo?  I'm only "mid"mo  
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 3:45:01 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I will only eat asparagus out of my garden. The stuff in the stores here is old dried out crap.
When the season is over, it's over for me until next year.
View Quote

I do agree that fresh snapped, and eaten raw ... asparagus is hard to beat.

The store bought, while not dried out entirely ... is just too damn expensive.

EDIT: the 'once its over' mantra is becoming mine as well.  I am learning to do without tomatoes in the winter, peppers in January.  Vegetables, out of season and not from my garden, and becoming rare in the crisper.

TRG
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 4:02:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Started my Garden this week too.

For the Biggener all you need to know here
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 5:50:31 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I have friends and colleagues that flip out over how much better my hen's eggs taste to them compared to 'store bought'.... I mean, they go nuts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5amLAMRQk5I

TRG
View Quote

Not so much the taste in my opinion but the fresh eggs have stronger whites that don't flow all over the pan.  The fresh eggs also poach in water a lot tighter too.  Less whisps of whites all over the pan.

Up in damn yankee land I've seen the quality of produce decline sharply as prices went up in the last 3-5 years.  The major supermarket chains used to be very conscious of the quality in their produce section.  Now I'm seeing them willingly putting in 2nd choice goods at premium prices.  Add in with the high prices and tight economy people are spending less so the produce I believe sits there longer getting more aged.  

Last night I was pricing a new tiller for my tractor.   leaning hard toward a King Kutter 60" or maybe the 48" offset.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 6:18:03 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Asparagus turns woody/fiberous/coarse when its over a day old.

I planted 200 crowns last year in a new plot, and intend to eat it all.

We don't buy tomatoes from the store because they don't taste right either.
View Quote

Holy Hell, I only have 20 and I am swiming in Asparagus.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 6:46:15 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Not so much the taste in my opinion but the fresh eggs have stronger whites that don't flow all over the pan.  The fresh eggs also poach in water a lot tighter too.  Less whisps of whites all over the pan.

Up in damn yankee land I've seen the quality of produce decline sharply as prices went up in the last 3-5 years.  The major supermarket chains used to be very conscious of the quality in their produce section.  Now I'm seeing them willingly putting in 2nd choice goods at premium prices.  Add in with the high prices and tight economy people are spending less so the produce I believe sits there longer getting more aged.  

Last night I was pricing a new tiller for my tractor.   leaning hard toward a King Kutter 60" or maybe the 48" offset.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

TRG

My eggs are the opposite.  Watery, hard to peel.

As to that cutter...  I have a 60".  It is my second most valuable piece of labor-saving devices.  The tractor itself is #1.

Not sure bout the offset's usage/tricks, but, mine is not offset.   I can plant huge amounts of food with the tiller now.  More than we can eat/store.

It is: Till.  Wait 3 weeks.  Till again.  Plant immediately with hand sprinkled seeds.  Re-till 1" deep.  Done.

TRG
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 10:00:15 AM EDT
[#17]
Cherokee purple tomatoes I grow can't even be found in stores most of the time and when they are they're 6-8 bucks a pound.  Can't say when I've ever seen lemon basil or purple basil in the store either.  For some cursed reason they don't sell okra much at all around here--these people must be mentally challenged.  It's going to be interesting to see how Sea Island red peas turn out when I try to grow them this year.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 12:59:38 PM EDT
[#18]
How difficult are blackberries?

EDIT: I remember coming across blackberry bushes as a kid. I never thought about planting some.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 2:26:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Around here they are almost impossible to kill - stand back and let them go.  I planted 4 canes in a 4x4 block 2 years ago.  Last year I harvested 3 gallons of blackberries.  This year I expect 4 or more gallons.  The berries last year were larger than the end joint of my thumb, and really tasty, and it went well enough I planted 3 more identical blocks.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 2:30:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Do the Cherokee purple tomatoes taste very different or do you just prefer the aesthetics or size/shape?  I tried black krim last year and the taste was good but they were outrageously large and rather odd-shaped.  I really like a burger-sized slicer for, well, burgers (and blt's...and grilled cheese with tomato...lol)
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 4:54:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

EDIT: I remember coming across blackberry bushes as a kid. I never thought about planting some.
View Quote

Red and black raspberries, black caps, and blackberries are all easy.  I've had them grow well in sandy soil in both full sun and partial to mostly shade.  Just make sure they get enough water, consistently, so the fruit fills out well.

Red raspberries sucker, black raspberries grow from the cane tips rooting in the ground.  Not sure about true blackberries.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 5:47:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Red and black raspberries, black caps, and blackberries are all easy.  I've had them grow well in sandy soil in both full sun and partial to mostly shade.  Just make sure they get enough water, consistently, so the fruit fills out well.

Red raspberries sucker, black raspberries grow from the cane tips rooting in the ground.  Not sure about true blackberries.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Would you suggest buying seeds or plants from a garden store?
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 6:29:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

As to that cutter...  I have a 60".  It is my second most valuable piece of labor-saving devices.  The tractor itself is #1.

Not sure bout the offset's usage/tricks, but, mine is not offset.   I can plant huge amounts of food with the tiller now.  More than we can eat/store.

It is: Till.  Wait 3 weeks.  Till again.  Plant immediately with hand sprinkled seeds.  Re-till 1" deep.  Done.

TRG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

TRG

TRG

Well the offset makes the tiller that is smaller than my tractor width cover one tire so you only leave one tire track, on the next pass you till under the previous single tire track.   With a straight 48 with no offset I'd get half a tire track on each side of the tiller.  I'm 53" wide at the rear tires.  

I will probably get the 60" anyhow.  I have sufficient PTO HP for it,even with that with a HST I can crawl if I need to with the PTO spinning 540rpm.  I see some better deals online than local.  Locally they have land pride and kuhn on one end ($2k) and Tractor supply/Tarter for only a hundred bucks or so cheaper than the KK.   Seeming like a no brainer for me
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 6:30:50 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I would not say it has ruined me, but, I am much less likely to purchase items now that are grown at home.  I don;t buy in to the 'taste better' argument as much as the economics of it.

Why buy  green onions for 1.99 a bunch, when I have 250 growing in the garden for under 10 bucks?

Why buy lettuce, or tomatoes, or peppers when I can grow my own for soooo much lower cost per plant?

It's also made me much more aware of what is a natural season for a a plant.  For instance, at Wal-Mart yesterday, there were cantaloupes on sale for 1.99 each.  Not a bad price, really.  A pack of seed will cost a buck, and it takes 90 days of care and feeding.  I can grow them, but, it will be 90 days from now before I can harvest any.  They are also not a root crop, so, they would just being going in the ground as seed right now, at best.

TRG
View Quote

If that's the case you are doing it wrong.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 3:11:36 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have gotten plants from a local greenhouse or nursery - 6" tall or so.  I don't think I have ever seen viable seeds.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 3:12:45 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Around here they are almost impossible to kill - stand back and let them go.  I planted 4 canes in a 4x4 block 2 years ago.  Last year I harvested 3 gallons of blackberries.  This year I expect 4 or more gallons.  The berries last year were larger than the end joint of my thumb, and really tasty, and it went well enough I planted 3 more identical blocks.
View Quote

Blackberry cobbler
blackberry pie
Blackberry jam
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 4:31:12 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would suggest a gardening store.  Barring that, if you have a bush nearby you can take a cutting from they root fairly easy.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 7:03:33 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

TRG

I've given away about 15lbs of lettuce in the last two weeks.  Everyone that eats it tells me that they have never tasted lettuce this good.  

Honestly, it's lettuce.  How good can lettuce really taste?

Same with my 'farm eggs'.  People go nuts for them.  They are just eggs to me.  

In HS I was told by the assistant manager of the Churches Chicken (where I was a fry cook/dishwasher), "People eat with their eyes first."

That is a very deep observation.  I also believe there is another truism, "People taste with their ears first."  

I have handed 1.50 cigars to folks and admonished them, "This is a $25.00 cigar, unless you can really appreciate the flavor of an expensive cigar, don't smoke it, I have cheaper ones in my truck."  Every time I try this social experiment, they light them up and tell me that it is the best cigar they've ever had.

Ditto with whiskey, vodka, wine.  Brag, tell a story, invent a history that indicates wealth, refinement, rarity, exclusion and people will blindly agree.  Around camp, because we have all seen this placebo effect on perception of flavor, we now call it, "Licking the Label" to describe people's devotion to premium brands and premium prices.

Set up the flavor with their ears and their taste buds will follow.  People are weird, and malleable, creatures.

I don't doubt that my tomatoes taste better than a store bought version, and my eggs do have more orange in the yoke, but ... it's more 'perception' than 'reality' on most things when it comes to flavor.  By the time a slice of tomato is nestled under a toasted piece of crusty bread, with mayo, bacon, lettuce, BBQ spice, salt, pepper, melted sharp cheddar and a soft fried farm egg... how much 'flavor' that tomato contains is much less important than the expectation of that tomato's flavor.

FWIW, I saw the mention of the purple tomatoes in this thread and stopped in to the local 'Herb Farm' that is 1/4 mile from my house.  They had some.  I plan to give them a try.  

TRG

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 2:09:51 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Same with my 'farm eggs'.  People go nuts for them.  They are just eggs to me.  

View Quote

I can't tell much difference either but I do know that they are fresh and haven't been sitting in a cooler for 4 weeks or longer.  I've bought eggs from the grocery store in the past that sent me flying to the head almost as quickly as I ate them.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 1:51:24 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

What do you mean by a 4X4 block?
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 2:01:59 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have 4ft wide raised garden beds divided into squares, so an area 4ftx4ft, in this case holding a total of 4 blackberry canes.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 2:35:51 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I have 4ft wide raised garden beds divided into squares, so an area 4ftx4ft, in this case holding a total of 4 blackberry canes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ah. I see.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 3:12:45 AM EDT
[#33]
In HS I was told by the assistant manager of the Churches Chicken
View Quote

nom nom nom  
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:48:53 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

nom nom nom  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

nom nom nom  

Hellz yeah!

I love fried chicken even now!

I learned how to make deep fried ... everything.  We were deep frying buttered corn on the cob in the 80s.

TRG
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:19:59 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Hellz yeah!

I learned how to make deep fried ... everything.  We were deep frying buttered corn on the cob in the 80s.

TRG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

nom nom nom  

Hellz yeah!

TRG

Alton Brown's deep fried macaroni and cheese!  (with added bacon)
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:49:09 AM EDT
[#36]
forget gardening and start foraging. In areas not owned by me, just in the last week, I've collected

-black berries
-mulberries
-wild onions
-loquats
-a few figs, though not ripe yet
-assorted citurs- though it was a little past it's prime, OK for juice though

all except the loquats and figs were a distance from my home that I could ride my bike to collect them
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top