Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/15/2011 5:47:11 PM EDT
[#1]
hmm I didn't see mention of a fence?  maybe missed it but I fence out my birds (chickens, ducks, turkeys, geese, muscovies)  and this keeps them out of the garden.  if i had no birds whatsoever, deer and rabbits (and kids and dogs and you name it) would destroy my garden.  

if you have a garden you want to keep, you must fence it.

please excuse me for asking but is this the first garden you kept in that particular area?  I think what might happen is as soon as you get your peacock problem solved, some other critter will be eating your veggies.

FENCE.
Link Posted: 1/15/2011 7:53:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
MIL figured out a plan to try and trap them, a friend from church is helping her, no luck so far. She gets all squishy about killing them

Meanwhile, I have been making nice with the survivors (predators have taken two more).

One let me get within 7 yards yesterday feeding it french fries. They also roosted on her porch again and crapped all over the place. I'll talk to her again today or Sunday and have a rifle in the car, JIC.

They're beautiful and will win you over if you're not careful.  

But they're lying.

They will eat your garden again.
Watch yourself, or you will be assimilated.

MIL has to go shopping sometime.  

You can engineer it...your wife might cooperate....and then.....the peacocks will go to the great peacock nesting ground in the sky.

There's not enough fence in the world.  Those suckers can fly better than you'd think, tail and all.  They roost in the top of enormous tobacco barns here.  An eight foot fence will not stop them.
Link Posted: 1/16/2011 5:22:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Fordguy,
Fence won't stop them, they roost on the fence around the dogs pen all the time, and in season will go into the pen if the dogs are out to raid the pears on the ground.

Quoted:
Quoted:
MIL figured out a plan to try and trap them, a friend from church is helping her, no luck so far. She gets all squishy about killing them

Meanwhile, I have been making nice with the survivors (predators have taken two more).

One let me get within 7 yards yesterday feeding it french fries. They also roosted on her porch again and crapped all over the place. I'll talk to her again today or Sunday and have a rifle in the car, JIC.

They're beautiful and will win you over if you're not careful.  

But they're lying.

They will eat your garden again.
Watch yourself, or you will be assimilated.

MIL has to go shopping sometime.  

You can engineer it...your wife might cooperate....and then.....the peacocks will go to the great peacock nesting ground in the sky.

There's not enough fence in the world.  Those suckers can fly better than you'd think, tail and all.  They roost in the top of enormous tobacco barns here.  An eight foot fence will not stop them.

I'm setting up for a shot tomorrow, business is business. I'll try to get there around 2, by 4 they should be in the garden. We will see, MIL may wave me off.

Link Posted: 1/16/2011 6:04:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
What about a compound bow using the arrows that are designed to decapitate turkey?

this is it the arrow head is called a flying guillotine and you can get it at cabelas - no head = no noise
if your not into archery try a crossbow they are very accurate and just like shooting a gun
Link Posted: 1/16/2011 6:23:27 PM EDT
[#5]
God, I love ARFCOM.  This is the only place you will be advised to use a flying guillotine to decapitate peacocks in order to protect your MIL's porch.
Link Posted: 1/17/2011 4:30:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
God, I love ARFCOM.  This is the only place you will be advised to use a flying guillotine to decapitate peacocks in order to protect your MIL's porch.

LOL
Link Posted: 1/17/2011 6:43:53 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

hmm I didn't see mention of a fence?  maybe missed it but I fence out my birds (chickens, ducks, turkeys, geese, muscovies)  and this keeps them out of the garden.  if i had no birds whatsoever, deer and rabbits (and kids and dogs and you name it) would destroy my garden.  

please excuse me for asking but is this the first garden you kept in that particular area?  I think what might happen is as soon as you get your peacock problem solved, some other critter will be eating your veggies.

FENCE.

Didn't get the memo did you, peacocks can fly.  

Link Posted: 1/17/2011 11:42:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Quoted:

FENCE.

I will say my birds won't typically fly over the fence unless they are hungry or runnign from something.  turkeys, chickens, all of them prefer to be ground birds and even when they do fly, they won't fly into my garden.  It is 6 feet with a 7 foot barbwire strand.  Sounds like peacocks /peahens fly more often?  

Link Posted: 1/17/2011 11:49:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Poison.
Link Posted: 1/18/2011 12:04:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Thread will be a month old tomorrow......Why ain't these damn birds on the grill yet?
Link Posted: 1/18/2011 12:15:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Yeah, just shoot the damn things already and get to figuring out some good peacock recipies.
Link Posted: 1/18/2011 12:36:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Yeah, just shoot the damn things already and get to figuring out some good peacock recipies.

This IS the food section of the survival forum after all!
Link Posted: 1/18/2011 12:45:36 PM EDT
[#13]
You know what my Grandad always told me...."when live gives you peacocks....you make peacock soup"
Link Posted: 1/18/2011 1:07:02 PM EDT
[#14]
You know what my Grandad always told me...."when live gives you peacocks....you make peacock soup"

How much bacon do you think you could get off a Peacock? They make Turkey bacon.....
Link Posted: 1/20/2011 8:13:42 AM EDT
[#15]
Trap or shoot using silenced/subsonic ammo, if local laws allow the practice. In Maine, these would be considered unlicensed, unregulated pest animals, and you could have at them if there were no town ordinances prohibiting discharge of a firearm within X yards of your neighbors.

After eliminating pests, eat vegetables, save feathers and tie flies.

Profit!
Link Posted: 1/20/2011 2:16:43 PM EDT
[#16]
How about some shelled corn on the pan of a # 2 victor jump trap? seems like a simple answer...
Link Posted: 1/22/2011 7:35:57 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

FENCE.

I will say my birds won't typically fly over the fence unless they are hungry or runnign from something.  turkeys, chickens, all of them prefer to be ground birds and even when they do fly, they won't fly into my garden.  It is 6 feet with a 7 foot barbwire strand.  Sounds like peacocks /peahens fly more often?  

They do.  It's not that they go long distances, but they go high.  They fly up into the top of a six-tier tobacco barn without any trouble, and roost way up there.  Make a godawful mess.

Clearing a fence is no issue for them, which is not what you'd think, especially for the cocks when they're all feathered out.  Not much will stop them, and they fly to get to what they want, much more readily than chickens do.  More like wild turkeys in their behavior in some ways.
Link Posted: 1/23/2011 4:16:49 PM EDT
[#18]
"officer, the peacock was coming straight at me, i was scared!"
Link Posted: 1/23/2011 6:19:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Trap or shoot using silenced/subsonic ammo, if local laws allow the practice. In Maine, these would be considered unlicensed, unregulated pest animals, and you could have at them if there were no town ordinances prohibiting discharge of a firearm within X yards of your neighbors.

Profit!

Or send me the feathers and I'll tie the flies.
Link Posted: 3/28/2011 5:04:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Profit!

Or send me the feathers and I'll tie the flies.

I saved you some feathers, if you want them. It was a hen.

Link Posted: 3/28/2011 9:07:12 PM EDT
[#21]
It seems alot the people that are posting on this peacock issue arent reading very thoroughly.

1.) They're eating his garden-so yes..they are hungry!
2.)He asked the owners and they dont give a shit about the birds or his damaged garden.
3.) They're peacocks-where the fuck have you been, under a rock ?? They fly right over fences!

If you know where they roost, thats a huge plus to get em all at once, as birds cant see for shit at night and will probably not leave as you take each one out.
Otherwise, leave as many people out of this and do it YOUR way. It'll be quicker and less of a hassle.
I never tell anyone anymore about nuisance animals until I am done with them and thats only to people I know will symphatize with me.Which pretty much elimanates all women.

Have fun

Link Posted: 3/29/2011 5:17:20 AM EDT
[#22]
Oh heck yes! Glad to see you took one out...

Keep up the good work!
Link Posted: 3/29/2011 4:19:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Damn, how did I miss this one brother.

Email me the pics, I will post them for you......
Link Posted: 3/29/2011 5:11:20 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Before I cook it, I will try to take a pic with the wifes phone, our camera has decided it does not want to play. It is a good looking piece of meat.

There are at least 4 more, 2 that visit the property regularly. the "resident"male was in full display when I arrived, he would have been easy picking, but I want to dispose of the first one before I take another. In addition, I want to be ready to deal with the plumage when I take him, I've got to figure out how best to do it.

Link Posted: 3/29/2011 5:38:26 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Before I cook it, I will try to take a pic with the wifes phone, our camera has decided it does not want to play. It is a good looking piece of meat.

There are at least 4 more, 2 that visit the property regularly. the "resident"male was in full display when I arrived, he would have been easy picking, but I want to dispose of the first one before I take another. In addition, I want to be ready to deal with the plumage when I take him, I've got to figure out how best to do it.

You have GOT to make yourself an indian head dress out of peacock feathers.  

Proudly flaunt that SOB around the neighborhood, hell you could even use it during your hunts, probably draw the things right into your sights.   Be careful of other peacock hunters, don't want your ghillie/decoy headdress to be your doom.
Link Posted: 3/29/2011 6:23:28 PM EDT
[#26]
Glad to see I'm not the only one that has issues with these damn things. There's an old farm house across the road, and on the other side of the hill a few hundred yards from me. In the past 8 years four familys have come and gone renting that old house but the one thing that remains are those damn peacocks. I've already warned the wife that if one comes up in our yard that I'm gonna' find out what he tastes like marinated with a cajun injector and deep fried in peanut oil.
Link Posted: 3/29/2011 11:22:28 PM EDT
[#27]
Braised with mushrooms, mmmm, sounds delicious.  What are you going to braise them with?  I'm thinking cabernet, but I always think cabernet when I think mushrooms.

We will need a dinner pic.  In addition to the beverage, firearm, and knife, you should include a peacock feather FTMFW.
Link Posted: 3/30/2011 2:05:52 AM EDT
[#28]
Got a recipe from Chef I am going to try, roasted with bacon and Herbs d Provence.

There is going to be  a date with shrooms for one of them eventually.
Link Posted: 3/30/2011 4:47:33 AM EDT
[#29]
Don't forget the dinner pics.
Link Posted: 3/30/2011 12:13:50 PM EDT
[#30]
This works on almost all pests   Auto turret
Link Posted: 3/30/2011 7:48:35 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 3/31/2011 5:56:29 PM EDT
[#32]
Dinner is served.
Link Posted: 3/31/2011 6:19:09 PM EDT
[#33]
Straight from billyhill's kitchen, Peacock Marsala. A road trip might be in my future.

Link Posted: 3/31/2011 7:32:01 PM EDT
[#34]
You are one of the few people welcome to show up on my doorstep univited (even by my wife).

That doesn't look half bad, it tasted very respectable on jasmine rice. A little more gamey than chichicken, and a little firmer in texture, but injected with butter before searing, it was very nice. Sam like it too (took the photos). I'm not sure I find the comparison to duck valid.

Take care of yourself buddy, I hope you feel better.

Mike
Link Posted: 4/1/2011 2:41:50 AM EDT
[#35]
PEACOCK

LOOKS FANTASTIC

CHEF
Link Posted: 4/1/2011 3:08:58 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
PEACOCK

LOOKS FANTASTIC

CHEF

That means a lot coming from you Chef.  Give yourself a little credit. Its your sauce. It really was very tasty. Milder than duck. The stock was great and the reason I was so late eating dinner.

I've got 3 or more birds to deal with, next up is the roast bird with bacon we discussed. I couldn't find the herbs I neede to do it this time.

My daughter took the photos.

Link Posted: 5/16/2011 6:36:39 PM EDT
[#37]
Bird number 3 is in the fridge (Hen, with a layer of golden yellow fat on  her). Bullet went in at the top of her left thigh and exited at the base of her neck.

Put a bullet in male number 4. The males seem a lot tougher than the females, he jumps up and flies away. The feathers left behind look like he took a body hit.???? I hate that.
Link Posted: 5/16/2011 6:53:29 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 5/17/2011 7:21:52 AM EDT
[#39]
At that range, I could have used my Ruger LCP but noise is an issue.

22lr really isn't enough gun without really good shot placement
Link Posted: 5/17/2011 7:49:12 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Thats BS

I took a full size male with a .17 pellet gun... DRT

well... actually the bird didnt even know it was hit walked around a few feet and fell over dead.

shot placement through lower left breast out right of the neck

Link Posted: 5/17/2011 8:26:15 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Bird number 3 is in the fridge (Hen, with a layer of golden yellow fat on  her). Bullet went in at the top of her left thigh and exited at the base of her neck.

Put a bullet in male number 4. The males seem a lot tougher than the females, he jumps up and flies away. The feathers left behind look like he took a body hit.???? I hate that.

I shot a turkey with a .308 from a 25 or so foot tall tower stand. Bullet went in at the very top of the ribcage, right between the breasts, and came out the bottom taking all the innards with it. Pluck, wash, done.

Link Posted: 5/17/2011 5:19:12 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thats BS

I took a full size male with a .17 pellet gun... DRT

well... actually the bird didnt even know it was hit walked around a few feet and fell over dead.

shot placement through lower left breast out right of the neck

Reread the part in red.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top