Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/11/2009 12:04:45 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/11/2009 2:52:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Time for some good old choke and slide...
Link Posted: 9/11/2009 5:41:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/11/2009 6:16:05 PM EDT
[#3]
he was a fitness guru before the was such a title, i  think he is 95-96 now and still going strong .
that is the last heard
Link Posted: 9/11/2009 6:39:57 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

he was a fitness guru before the was such a title, i think he is 95-96 now and still going strong .

that is the last heard

Yes, I remember him on tv when I was little bitty.

I can't believe he's still around.

He looked very strange in his tight little exercise outfit then.

He was one of the first fitness gurus I would say.

Lots of housewives, ala June Cleaver,  used to exercise with him during the daytimes between the soap operas from what I understand.
Link Posted: 9/11/2009 11:42:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/11/2009 11:45:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/12/2009 12:21:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Thats awesome man.  I've really been wanting to start grapes, but I'm steering clear of fruit until we move to a more permanent location :(
Link Posted: 9/12/2009 9:19:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Internet's acting funky on us tonight so I'll skip the travelogue.

Twenty five feet or so of grape vines got us 32 half-pints of grape jelly.

The canning cats are turning out because it's unseasonably cold here and they like the heat.

Not bad at all. Looks good.
Link Posted: 9/12/2009 9:59:57 AM EDT
[#9]
This thread is kitty approved!
Link Posted: 9/12/2009 1:40:22 PM EDT
[#10]
It seemed like a lot of grapes when you pictured them in the cooler.

You've probably checked out how to prune grapes.  Is it possible to root the vines that are trimmed off without much work?  I think you can trim several sticks to about a foot long (2-3 nodes) and put them in a plastic bag in a refrigerator over the winter and they'll root easily next spring by just sticking them in the ground.  Much cheaper than the $5 per plant that you'd have to pay to order some more and you are going to be clipping off your plants anyway.  As a plus, you know that the variety you have will grow in your location.

I question the use of 1/2 pint jars for something as tasty as grape jelly.  That would be about a one-meal serving on the table at my house!

Next year when you have a TON of grapes and realize you can't make that much jelly, plan to make some grape juice.  I think the recipe is in the canning book.  I think you put grapes and sugar in the jar and  pour scalding water over them to fill the jar, then process.  It'll break you from store bought.

I'd like to see a picture of your vines and trellis later this year after you trim them back and the leaves are off.
Link Posted: 9/12/2009 3:10:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/12/2009 5:34:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Grape cuttings root really easily if you take them at the correct time of year and get the new, young wood.

If anybody needs a reference on this, I will look it up for you.

all the grapes I have ever grown were from cuttings purchased for a dollar apiece from a local vineyard owner.

Easy peezy.

Feral how did the jelly turn out as far as taste?   Would you do something different next time?

When you tasted the grapes were they sweet straight off the vine?
kitties
Link Posted: 9/12/2009 7:20:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Feral how did the jelly turn out as far as taste?   Would you do something different next time?

Reminds me I think I saw some packages of pectin in one of your pics.  I thought I remembered that grapes didn't need it and wondered if your jelly was going to be a bit "tough".....  AAR?
Link Posted: 9/12/2009 9:29:24 PM EDT
[#14]
We use pectin in our grape jelly, turns out great.  My neighbor has about 20ft of vines he lets me have and I have 2 huge vines covering a shed in the backyard.  None have ever been pruned––they are more for concealment than fruit production.  Each year they simply grow and produce ridiculous amounts of grapes.  A bit less this year due to the funky weather here, but still have so much I don't know what to do with.  My neighbors won't take more jam––they still have too much from last year.  Just a few dozen more jars to the SHTF pile I guess.

I'm planting a couple raspberry bushes next year because I need something different.

Solid work.

NH
Link Posted: 9/12/2009 11:34:41 PM EDT
[#15]
awesome job!

say, if a feller was to send you some money, how much would it take for a half pint?
Link Posted: 9/13/2009 8:27:08 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/13/2009 11:13:48 AM EDT
[#17]
Feral it is also possible that you have a purple grape variety which does not necessarily yield dark juice.  A lot of white wine is actually made from dark grapes, believe it or not.  The color of the skin does not necessarily indicate the color of the flesh, or the juice.  BUT you crushed enough of them, you probably know already if the dark grapes have dark flesh and if you crush it, if the juice comes out purple.

YOu could do a batch of each next year. (You know, since you have SO much free time and sit about eating bon bons every day with nothing to do.
 )  That would be interesting.  White grape jelly, or red grape jelly would probably have a comletely different taste from the darker grapes.

kitties
Link Posted: 9/13/2009 1:25:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
YOu could do a batch of each next year.

Or branch out into "designer" jellies, like a mix of raspberry and the white grapes.  You probably can't find it at the store, making your gift jars even more special.  It wouldn't take much extra work.  I have no idea how THAT would taste, but you'd offset the "too sweet" grape with the "not quite sweet" raspberry.  Who knows what color would dominate?

I know that I've seen a LOT of jellies made from combined juices, apple being one that come to mind.  Of course, the apple might be there as a pectin substitute.
Link Posted: 9/13/2009 6:21:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Feral, did  y'all get a new cooktop?  I thought I remembered a slide-in stove...gas range????
Link Posted: 9/14/2009 4:42:33 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/14/2009 9:40:50 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I REALLY miss that gas range. REALLY MISS.

Did you know that these glass cooktops are supposed to be "smart"?

They apparently have sensors that monitor the heat output and temperature of the pan. They SUCK for canning as the "sensors" turn off the juice to the burner intermittently and it's hard to keep a good, robust boil going.

I'm all in favor of technology, but when I turn a burner to "High" it's because......wait for it......I WANT THE #$%^^%$ BURNER TO BE ON HIGH.

OK, I feel better now.

Hmm...that makes sense with the "smart" technology –– I was curious why our range in our new apartment 'turned off' and then 'turned on' even though I had it set on high.  I'm sure it is some power saving feature or whatever, but really.....when I say I want something turned on, I want it ON...I should be in control, not the computer.
Link Posted: 10/29/2009 12:31:21 AM EDT
[#22]
I made grape jelly yesterday.  I picked half a paper grocery sack full.  and it only made 8 half pints.  that is from one grape vine.  this thing is up to the roof of my house though!  gonna do some more pruning over winter; its never been taken care of, until i moved in.

i didnt do a complete pictoral write-up since i did that for my plum jelly, and feral has this one up.  i did mine a little different though.  i de-stemmed them, them put them in a pan with a little water, let them get a little heat going to them, then took a potato smasher and smashed hell out of them.  let them simmer for about 10 minutes, them smashed them again. then i ran them through a collander and i had a cup towel under that.  then i had perfect juice to use.  added the pectin and followed the directions in the suregel package.

i will take some pics of the finished product though.  i do declare: it is mighty fine!  it will also be entered into the fair next year.
Link Posted: 10/29/2009 12:28:31 PM EDT
[#23]
That looks AWESOME!
Link Posted: 10/29/2009 3:48:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Feral, did  y'all get a new cooktop?  I thought I remembered a slide-in stove...gas range????

You remember correctly.......it's just we haven't lived in that house for coming up on two years.

They apparently have sensors that monitor the heat output and temperature of the pan. They SUCK for canning as the "sensors" turn off the juice to the burner intermittently and it's hard to keep a good, robust boil going.

I'm all in favor of technology, but when I turn a burner to "High" it's because......wait for it......I WANT THE #$%^^%$ BURNER TO BE ON HIGH.

OK, I feel better now.

I agree.  It's the way I feel about brakes and driving my car too.  Sometimes it's more dangerous to brake than it is to speed up.  I want to make that call.  Granted there are a lot of bad drivers, with a lot of poor reflexes, but I am not one of them, and I want to drive the car.  I don't want the car making decisions for me. Same with my stove.  Smart technology is great, but you should be able to tell it to shut the hell up and let you drive or cook when you want to be in charge.

Link Posted: 10/30/2009 8:56:28 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

OK, I feel better now.

I was going to ask you about using your canning pot on the glass top range.  We had the same problem with it turning off during a boil too.  I hate it.  I went out and bought a turkey fryer and finished my canning on that instead of the range.

Question for you.  We have grapes in our back yard that was from a previous owner and I've been wanting to make some jelly our of them for the past 5 years.  But how do you KEEP THE DAMN BIRDS OUT OF THE VINES AND EATING THE GRAPES?  I've tried hanging a mesh tarp and  some camo mesh fabric over the vines, a wind chime type thing to make noise and some colored streamers to scare them and nothing seems to work.

I want my grapes dammit.
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 1:22:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Feral it is also possible that you have a purple grape variety which does not necessarily yield dark juice.  A lot of white wine is actually made from dark grapes, believe it or not.  The color of the skin does not necessarily indicate the color of the flesh, or the juice.  BUT you crushed enough of them, you probably know already if the dark grapes have dark flesh and if you crush it, if the juice comes out purple.

YOu could do a batch of each next year. (You know, since you have SO much free time and sit about eating bon bons every day with nothing to do.  )  That would be interesting.  White grape jelly, or red grape jelly would probably have a comletely different taste from the darker grapes.

The purple grapes pressed out pretty purple. Didn't stay that way though. I'll try to split the batches next year. This year was a bit harried.....really needed to just deal with the grapes so other projects could move forward.

Quoted:
Or branch out into "designer" jellies, like a mix of raspberry and the white grapes.  You probably can't find it at the store, making your gift jars even more special.  It wouldn't take much extra work.  I have no idea how THAT would taste, but you'd offset the "too sweet" grape with the "not quite sweet" raspberry.  Who knows what color would dominate?

I know that I've seen a LOT of jellies made from combined juices, apple being one that come to mind.  Of course, the apple might be there as a pectin substitute.

I wouldn't mind doing a combination with the raspberries.....we've certainly got plenty of them.

Quoted:

You remember correctly.......it's just we haven't lived in that house for coming up on two years.

OK, I feel better now.

that is why i have a heavy cast iron 3 burner propane stove that i set up in the garage for canning.  tried some stuff on the kitchen electric range, pissed me off, and have never looked back
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top