Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/5/2011 8:53:57 AM EDT
I am on the search for a decent EDC light. I want one that runs on AA batteries (Prefer the 2100Ma Rechargeable batteries I have).

I have a bunch of CR123 surefire lights, but not really sure what is good for the AA lights.

I want something that is fairly rugged, decently bright and has a decent run time.

So what should I be looking at?
Link Posted: 5/5/2011 9:04:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/5/2011 9:10:56 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

I am on the search for a decent EDC light. I want one that runs on AA batteries (Prefer the 2100Ma Rechargeable batteries I have).

I have a bunch of CR123 surefire lights, but not really sure what is good for the AA lights.

I want something that is fairly rugged, decently bright and has a decent run time.

So what should I be looking at?

This one is so awesome I bought one for EDC, one for the car, and one for home:

http://ca.rayovac.com/flashlight/SportsmanExtreme_sef2aa-b.shtml

Less than $20 in stores, bright as hell, good runtime, AAs, easily slips into a pocket due to its design, very strong.

The one above is tactical looking but has a runtime of 45 minutes, the one I posted has a 100 lumen runtime of 5 hours.

Link Posted: 5/5/2011 9:11:23 AM EDT
[#3]
How about AAA?

I carry this and use it ALL the time
Link Posted: 5/5/2011 9:18:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
4Sevens Quark

This is what i carry. Customer service repaired it when it got broken. It took a real beating before it broke.
Link Posted: 5/5/2011 12:12:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
4Sevens Quark

I hashed this over and over before finally buying a AA light. I went with the quark AA regular over the Fenix LD10 and Nitecore D11.

Pluses-
.2L output "moon mode" option. 650+ hour run time on this mode. Makes it a great survival light no other AA light can do this.
Durable, reversible pocket clip
Regulated to run 3.7v li-ion 14500s (no other light in the single AA range was built for this when I was looking)
I have heard it will do 200+ lumens OTF with the 14500s. I have no way of measuring, but comparing mine running 14500s to the same light running NIMH 2650mahs, is much brighter.
Regular edition can tailstand

Minuses-
Type III HA is weaker than US made lights.
Max output running Nimhs is lower than comparable lights from Fenix and Nitecore.
Link Posted: 5/5/2011 12:46:24 PM EDT
[#6]
I have both  a Nitecore D10 and a Streamlight PT1AA that work well for me.
Link Posted: 5/5/2011 5:04:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Nitecore D10...  Its my EDC.. Runs on AA and on Lithium-Ion (14500 Size)

Fantastic.. Its been beat to a pulp. Only time it stops working is when the battery dies.
Link Posted: 5/5/2011 5:34:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/5/2011 5:52:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Halffast gave me one of these for Christmas 2yrs ago i've been using it every day since then.

My favorite light of all time.

http://www.opticsplanet.net/browning-tactical-hunter-alpha-max-flash-light-model-1232-mossy-oak-break-up-3711232.html
Link Posted: 5/5/2011 10:26:40 PM EDT
[#10]
I carry this every day.  I love it.  I've had it for probably 4 mo and have yet to change the battery!

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5253/5579156419_075fb340bd.jpg

Got it from countycomm
Link Posted: 5/6/2011 4:48:27 AM EDT
[#11]
Quark AA regular or tactical. The tactical is my working EDC since it only has two modes quickly available. I use only medium and high for work.

For a bug out bag light I like the regular since it comes on in moonlight mode in the bezel loose range and turbo in the bezel tight range.
Link Posted: 5/6/2011 12:08:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for the replies... I will check them out...
Link Posted: 5/6/2011 5:32:44 PM EDT
[#13]
My EDC is a Quark 2AA Tactical with a warm-warm emitter.  

Used it to explore lava tubes in Hawaii (Big Island.)
Link Posted: 5/6/2011 6:30:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Fenix LD20+ is what I carry. From what I'm seeing though, apparently it's not the best value...I'd say go with the Quark.
Link Posted: 5/12/2011 7:51:21 PM EDT
[#15]
I like my Fenix LD10.  It is relatively small, and runs well.  It has a good range of outputs, but it's interface isn't the best IMO.
Overall, GREAT value.
Link Posted: 5/13/2011 3:00:24 AM EDT
[#16]
Geez, I feel like a poor relation amongst this crowd.  My EDC is a mini-mag 2XAA LED.  Home Depot had them on sale last spring so I picked up 3 at under $10 each.  Two of them still in the package, the third I've been carrying pretty much every day.  Only 69 lumens on high, but I'm only just getting ready to change the batteries that came in the package after almost a year of use.  It also has 25% mode and flashy modes.  Can also be set up as an electric candle, which has come in handy a time or two.

Not weapons grade, certainly, but it's plenty bright enough for work and it was cheap.
Link Posted: 5/13/2011 6:20:51 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Geez, I feel like a poor relation amongst this crowd.  My EDC is a mini-mag 2XAA LED.  Home Depot had them on sale last spring so I picked up 3 at under $10 each.  Two of them still in the package, the third I've been carrying pretty much every day.  Only 69 lumens on high, but I'm only just getting ready to change the batteries that came in the package after almost a year of use.  It also has 25% mode and flashy modes.  Can also be set up as an electric candle, which has come in handy a time or two.

Not weapons grade, certainly, but it's plenty bright enough for work and it was cheap.

the only similarity between the quark and the mini-mag is that they are cylindrical and have light coming out the end––one more than the other.  the best place for those two remaining lights are in their packages.

to the poster that said the rayovac has 5 hours usage at 100 lumens––the quark has 5 hours at 83 lumens, and i'd bet you $5 that the quark is brighter at that setting than the rayovac at 100.  

i like the tactical model––no, not because it says tactical, but because the interface is superior than the regular quark.
Link Posted: 5/13/2011 6:25:39 AM EDT
[#18]
Quark Tactical AA.
Link Posted: 5/13/2011 6:56:28 AM EDT
[#19]
I have owned a few Quark aa lights. I have no need for strobe, high low, med settings. I like a light that  only has a full power setting.

I found this at Cabelas:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Browning174-Alpha-Series-Flashlights/746528.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3DBROWNING%2BAA%26x%3D1%26y%3D16&Ntt=BROWNING+AA&WTz_l=Unknown]http://www.cabelas.com/product/Browning174-Alpha-Series-Flashlights/746528.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3DBROWNING%2BAA%26x%3D1%26y%3D16&Ntt=BROWNING+AA&WTz_l=Unknown[/url]

Get the Mossy Oak one. It has a brighter lamp. Great light
Link Posted: 5/13/2011 7:02:17 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

I have no need for strobe, high low, med settings. I like a light that  only has a full power setting.

With the Quark Tactical, you never have to use anything else but max if that's what you choose –– like I do.  However, for less than the price of a Surefire, I get the other settings too, even if I choose never to use them.

Push it on = max light.  Push it off = off.  1/2 press = momentary max. –– $57

Seems like a winner to me.

Link Posted: 5/13/2011 7:56:31 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I have owned a few Quark aa lights. I have no need for strobe, high low, med settings. I like a light that  only has a full power setting.

I found this at Cabelas:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Browning174-Alpha-Series-Flashlights/746528.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3DBROWNING%2BAA%26x%3D1%26y%3D16&Ntt=BROWNING+AA&WTz_l=Unknown]http://www.cabelas.com/product/Browning174-Alpha-Series-Flashlights/746528.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3DBROWNING%2BAA%26x%3D1%26y%3D16&Ntt=BROWNING+AA&WTz_l=Unknown[/url]

Get the Mossy Oak one. It has a brighter lamp. Great light

With a quark tactical you never have to see those other modes if you don't want to. You can program the bezel tight and leave the bezel tight. It would be silly not to program the bezel loose mode to moonlight or low for walking around in the dark. You have access to two modes. Bezel tight and bezel loose. It blows the hell out of a standard single mode light.

I won't purchase a single mode light because I very, very rarely need to scorch my own eyeballs when looking at a map in the dark or looking in a glove box, or looking in a drawer.

With the light you linked to, you probably get 2 hours until 10% brightness. The quark will be similar, but you can switch to low mode and run for 48 hours straight on the same AA battery. The whole 48 hours you didn't need 100 + lumens at a cost of 12 AA batteries.
Link Posted: 5/14/2011 4:37:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fantastic.. Its been beat to a pulp. Only time it stops working is when the battery dies.

Not intending to hijack thread, but in reference to the Nitecore D11 and D10,  can anyone school us on the Li-ion 14500 size batteries? Are they worth the investment? They are higher voltage- do they make the Nitecore D10 or D11 lights run brighter, or does the circuitry damp regulate the light intensity when they're installed, or what?
Link Posted: 5/14/2011 5:01:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not intending to hijack thread, but in reference to the Nitecore D11 and D10,  can anyone school us on the Li-ion 14500 size batteries? Are they worth the investment? They are higher voltage- do they make the Nitecore D10 or D11 lights run brighter, or does the circuitry damp regulate the light intensity when they're installed, or what?

from what i have seen on CPF the 14500's will heat the light up and heat it up hot and fast. add that to one guy posted out of 6 cells only one fit the light correctly. so either stick with standard cells or buy a light that takes 14500's right out of the box. .
Link Posted: 5/14/2011 5:18:16 PM EDT
[#24]
i use the streamlight PT2AA and really like it. i had cr123 lights, and just got tired of feeding em those expensive batteries. im super happy with this light-tm
Link Posted: 5/14/2011 8:52:21 PM EDT
[#25]
Nitecore D11 vs Fenix LD10 R5- price roughly same- $55-$56.; both use 1 x AA battery- which one?
Link Posted: 5/14/2011 8:59:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Anyone try Terralux flashlights?  They are pretty popular with the guys I work with.  I bought their 220 Lumen LED upgrade for my Stinger XT and love it.  I can go longer in between charges and it's not fun to be on the receiving end of this light.  Feels like it will burn a hole in your retina.
Link Posted: 5/14/2011 9:41:54 PM EDT
[#27]
http://www.nitecore.com/goods_detail.php?id=3

I've always been happy with Fenix lights, until I lose them.
Link Posted: 5/15/2011 5:02:41 AM EDT
[#28]
Another vote for the Nitecore D10, I have use the light for the last two years at work. It has really taken some abuse, the only problem I have had was that the LED unit started to unscrew itself from the housing. It was a simple fix of removing the retaining washer and screwing it back in. I dont blame Nitecore for this as my work lights take a good beating.

Link Posted: 5/15/2011 5:14:57 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Nitecore D11 vs Fenix LD10 R5- price roughly same- $55-$56.; both use 1 x AA battery- which one?

Fenix.

You will like the quark tactical AA better than both of them.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/15/2011 10:26:11 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fenix.

Agreed... I have Quark AA Tacticals in my BOBs, and a mini AA for EDC.
Link Posted: 5/15/2011 8:22:58 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fenix.

Agreed... I have Quark AA Tacticals in my BOBs, and a mini AA for EDC.

Hmmm.... I wondered if I would get replies like this. I guess I should take a look at the Quark AAs, also.
Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/15/2011 10:14:41 PM EDT
[#32]
How many lumens do you generally need in an EDC?  Thus far, I've been pretty happy with the mini-mag at 69, but all of this flashlight talk lately has gotten me to thinking that my forays into the alley at night trying to catch the shitbags who like to vandalize other people's property might call for something stronger.

So how powerful a light do I really need?  Got money problems, so the $100+ lights are out, much as I'd like one.  Is 400+ lumens necessary in a "weaponized" light?  Would 200 be sufficient?
Link Posted: 5/16/2011 3:31:47 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
How many lumens do you generally need in an EDC?  Thus far, I've been pretty happy with the mini-mag at 69, but all of this flashlight talk lately has gotten me to thinking that my forays into the alley at night trying to catch the shitbags who like to vandalize other people's property might call for something stronger.

So how powerful a light do I really need?  Got money problems, so the $100+ lights are out, much as I'd like one.  Is 400+ lumens necessary in a "weaponized" light?  Would 200 be sufficient?

a 200 lumen light will light up an entire dark alley like daylight. It's a huge amount of light. One huge plus to having a good quality light is the even quality of the light. A mini mag has a very ringy beam with lots of voids in it. Lots of places your eyes have to search to see things where there is less or no light. A good quality tactical type light will have a stippled reflector so it will have extremely good coverage. The wall of light is totally unbroken.

If you buy a smooth reflector light it's most likely designed as a thrower, but the beam will not be nearly as smooth and the hot spot will be to tight for the work you are talking about.

If you want AA the Fenix LD20 or the Quark 2AA tactical are great lights. Both are regulated for great run times.

The Fenix is a reverse clicky so you have to click it on to get light. No momentary. With the bezel tight you always come on in turbo, then you can soft click to strobe. With the bezel loose you come on in low, then soft click to medium, high, and a blinky mode that is totally worthless to me.

The Quark tactical only has quick access to two modes. bezel tight and loose. You program how bright for those two modes. If you are wanting instant eye scorching light you have one mode programmed to high or turbo mode. The other to moon light or low. I use medium and high for work. This light is forward clicky.

The $10 crap 3AAA lights are always an option for you as well. They have them in two packs at sams club and costco and they put out a lot of light. Many of them drain the batteries just sitting in a drawer, but if money is tight it will give you a lot of relatively decent quality light. For the most part they are unregulated as I understand it. I don't do electronics...
Link Posted: 5/28/2011 8:01:18 AM EDT
[#34]
So I am about to pull the trigger on a 4sevens Quark AA light.

I am debating between the the regular or the Tactical.

From what I gather from reading this is the difference:

Tac - You choose your 2 options to have available.  If you want one of the other options you don't have programed, you must go through and reprogram it?  Is that right or can you still cycle through the other options?  

For example - Say I programed low and Turbo as my main options, but I want to use the strobe for some reason... what would I have to do to get to the strobe?

Regular - Moonlight and Turbo are "Pre Programed" as your 2 main options.  If you want something else, you cycle through by 1/2 clicking the switch (Loose or Tight bezel changes the cycle)
Link Posted: 5/28/2011 8:24:19 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
So I am about to pull the trigger on a 4sevens Quark AA light.

I am debating between the the regular or the Tactical.

From what I gather from reading this is the difference:

Tac - You choose your 2 options to have available.  If you want one of the other options you don't have programed, you must go through and reprogram it?  Is that right or can you still cycle through the other options?  

For example - Say I programed low and Turbo as my main options, but I want to use the strobe for some reason... what would I have to do to get to the strobe?

Regular - Moonlight and Turbo are "Pre Programed" as your 2 main options.  If you want something else, you cycle through by 1/2 clicking the switch (Loose or Tight bezel changes the cycle)

you understand it correctly.

for a survival light I don't mind scrolling through the modes from low to high and blinky crap modes. For work I don't like scrolling so the tactical works better for me.

with the tactical you would have to turn the light off and on 3 or 4 times and leave it tight or loose according to what you want to program. The light will blink. Then you can turn it on and off until you get to the mode you want to leave programmed and then leave it there until it blinks again.

If you plan to use strobe on occasion then the regular would be better, but I will never use it except to show off to friends.

With regular, bezel tight has two modes. Turbo and strobe.
bezel loose has 4 brightness modes and two blinky modes if I remember correctly.

Link Posted: 5/28/2011 8:30:26 AM EDT
[#36]
Thanks, I will probably go with the regular one then...

Plus 4sevens has 15% OFF this weekend...
Link Posted: 5/28/2011 9:52:39 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Is there a coupon for the discount?
Link Posted: 5/28/2011 10:07:21 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is there a coupon for the discount?

MEM2011
Link Posted: 5/28/2011 10:12:57 AM EDT
[#39]
thanks
Link Posted: 5/28/2011 11:23:46 AM EDT
[#40]
Fenix LD10.
Link Posted: 5/28/2011 12:56:16 PM EDT
[#41]
Just ordered by Quark AA...

Now the wait....  
Link Posted: 5/28/2011 9:18:01 PM EDT
[#42]
I was considering this guy xeno 1xaa or 14500

More of a flood than a throw but 300+ lumens with a 14500 rechargable is pretty nice.

Thrunite

This one gets 400+ on a 14500.  Of couse out put is a lot less with a regular AA though both lights can be run on those.
Both lights use the new XM-L emitter which is more flood than throw.

Candlepower forums can be dangerous to your  wallet.
Link Posted: 5/29/2011 3:53:43 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Just ordered by Quark AA...

Now the wait....  

Link Posted: 5/29/2011 5:27:02 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 5/29/2011 8:22:54 AM EDT
[#45]
FWIW

Pelican "mity lites" have been my go to EDC for 15+ years. Their super mity lite was a gem but they quit making it. I would pay $50 for a NIB Super mity lite today. They just came out with a new version of the led mity lights. I'm going to order a couple later this year just to see how it compares to the sml.

I lover the water resistant design and the pocket clip. Eventually the clip will break but they have a lifetime warranty.

SS
Link Posted: 5/29/2011 8:50:04 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

More of a flood than a throw but 300+ lumens with a 14500 rechargable is pretty nice.

Wow, I might pick one of these up too for $29 and throw it in my hunting bag....
Link Posted: 5/31/2011 5:13:35 AM EDT
[#47]
I've been looking real hard for an AA EDC light and I think I'm going with the JetBeam BA10

It only has 2 modes (high and low) but that's all I need\want.
Link Posted: 5/31/2011 5:49:46 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Anyone try Terralux flashlights?  They are pretty popular with the guys I work with.  I bought their 220 Lumen LED upgrade for my Stinger XT and love it.  I can go longer in between charges and it's not fun to be on the receiving end of this light.  Feels like it will burn a hole in your retina.

I bought some on sale at battery junction. The single AA is my new EDC. I also have a mini mag as a backup. Real bright. Very tough.
RLTW
Link Posted: 6/1/2011 4:39:51 PM EDT
[#49]
I've been extremely happy with streamlights offerings. I like their AAA microstream for EDC, mostly because of the clicky button and durability.

Runtime isn't great, but I get about a month out of a standard AAA battery with my use. I dislike the bezel activated lights after using the push button.

I run AAA in all my small electronics, so the MS and a couple different Fenix AAA lights suit me well. I'm sure you can find comparable AA models.
Link Posted: 6/1/2011 6:22:58 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Thrunite

This one gets 400+ on a 14500.  Of couse out put is a lot less with a regular AA though both lights can be run on those.
Both lights use the new XM-L emitter which is more flood than throw.

Just got a blue warm white Xeno,love it.Too much light [dark rural use] on 14500,sticking with an eneloop and using mostly med and low..The diffuser is good also.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top