Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/5/2011 7:02:31 AM EDT
Some of the Big Lots stores are currently selling the Black & Decker VEC049DCB 1KW Inverter for 50 bucks. This is an entry-level model - Produces a "modified sine" waveform that a few appliances don't like, rather than the pure sine waveform produced by the better models. However, for the money, it's a good buy. Comes with a 2 year warranty, a pair of 3 foot DC power cables, and spare lugs for building your own longer cables.

The one I bought seems to be pretty efficient - When idling, it consumes an amount of DC current too small to measure with my clamp-on DC meter. I'm guessing it's somewhere around 100 mA.* The cooling fan doesn't run unless an AC load is present, which no doubt helps reduce idling current. The owner's manual says that an optional "Vector Remote Control Switch" is available, although I can't find it anywhere on the net.

This would probably make an excellent backup for your "good" inverter - Big enough to power a wide variety of loads, without busting your budget.

*ETA: Went back and measured the no-load current consumption again with a better in-line DMM: It's 160 mA at 12.8 VDC. With a small AC load connected (23 watts), the conversion efficiency is around 76 percent - not as good as some small inverters, but not too shabby for a "full-figured gal".
Link Posted: 5/5/2011 7:09:56 AM EDT
[#1]
What department at B/L? I'll go look at lunch!
Link Posted: 5/5/2011 7:30:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
What department at B/L?

Who knows?

"Location and availability will vary by store"...

They were in with the hand tools at my particular store.
Link Posted: 5/5/2011 7:43:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
What department at B/L?

Who knows?

"Location and availability will vary by store"...

They were in with the hand tools at my particular store.

85.00 on Amazon.

TRG
Link Posted: 5/5/2011 8:09:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Is that an ethernet port?  Phone?
Link Posted: 5/5/2011 10:01:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/5/2011 10:23:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/5/2011 10:30:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/5/2011 10:33:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Yeh, that No Load Current Draw spec is full of ...
Link Posted: 5/5/2011 10:35:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/5/2011 10:44:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/5/2011 11:03:35 AM EDT
[#11]
50 percent of what I paid for the entire inverter? No way!

Bet you could hack an old ethernet cable and a 2 dollar Radio Shack switch to do the same job...
Link Posted: 5/5/2011 11:41:01 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/5/2011 1:08:20 PM EDT
[#13]
funny, I gave them a quick glance last week at big lots. Box did not list full specs, I assumed it was a 500watt/1000 watt peak inverter...so I passed. IIRC they had them listed for $40, in the automotive section. I will have to go back and make sure its the same model number.

I have more inverters than batteries! But for $40 bucks, I might just have to buy yet another!
Link Posted: 5/6/2011 7:13:07 AM EDT
[#14]

One big lots just had black and decker battery chargers.  They were on an end cap and around the tools and car stuff.  I did buy a 2,6, and 12 amp battery charger and it has a part number starting with vec like the vector invertors so I expect it will do a decent job.  They also had a smaller battery charge, just a 6 amp version and not smart.

Another big lots had both battery chargers, 1 of the 1k watt invertors, and a few of the 400 watt invertors with the vector name on them.

I went ahead and got the 1k watt invertor, I don't think I have any others that size but I do have what may or may not be a nice and expensive one I got cheap but forgot to test out before putting it on the shelf until later.

I went ahead and got the 400 watt model as well.

I use the 400 watt size in my jeep for running my little air compressor for airing up tires and stuff and while I had one backup for it I want to make a rolling battery charging setup and this and the battery charger are part of the plan.

In both big lots the black and decker stuff was either on an end cap in the back left corner of the store or it was on the back left corner wall in the store.  Back left direction is from when you walk in their front door.

I might go check one more just to see if there are any more items with the 1k watt invertor.

Right now the 1k watt invertor is a bit more than what I want to use to run things but the plans are coming along so it will get used this summer most likely.

The smaller ones do a good job and for running the little stuff I run they do just fine.

Link Posted: 5/6/2011 9:59:39 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I use the 400 watt size in my jeep for running my little air compressor for airing up tires and stuff and while I had one backup for it I want to make a rolling battery charging setup and this and the battery charger are part of the plan.

I'm going to use the 1KW inverter for the same purpose - I had a 350 watt Coleman inverter permanently mounted in my small pickup, but it's not quite up to snuff for powering the Sawzall - It'll run it, but it stalls when the cutting gets tough. So, the Coleman has been yanked, and the B&D is going in this weekend.

The last time my truck battery died, I replaced it with a 110 AH deep-cycle "RV/Marine" battery - It tolerates occasional deep discharges better than a conventional SLI battery, yet still does a great job of starting the engine. It's a little small for operating a 1KW inverter, but it'll only see momentary use at full power - the rest of the time, the inverter will power small loads around the house, campsite, etc.
Link Posted: 5/6/2011 7:09:27 PM EDT
[#16]

One thing I will say, this thing is a heck of a lot larger than an 850watt continuous cobra brand invertor I got.  The cobra brand was pretty cheap but the size and weight is very noticable for just a 150watt increase in capacity.

I am more willing to put the 850 watt setup in the jeep with a permanent mount and the 1k watt setup would be more for my enclosed trailer camper I have been accumalating parts for.

The smaller stuff can now go be used for portable charging stations and those stations will help out some folks who can greatly help me out as well.

My jeep diesel uses a decently sized battery but the enclosed camper setup is going to get a couple golf cart batteries or something similar.

After digging out my other invertors and sitting them side by side I could see buying another black and decker vector 1k watt setup if I run into it.

Where I got my one invertor at they were down to the last 1k watt invertor.

Link Posted: 5/6/2011 10:07:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Seems like this, the HF 45W panels, a small bank of golf cart batteries and an efficient chest freezer would make a helluva off-grid cold storage solution on the cheap.
Link Posted: 5/7/2011 3:50:55 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Seems like this, the HF 45W panels, a small bank of golf cart batteries and an efficient chest freezer would make a helluva off-grid cold storage solution on the cheap.

Not enough solar capacity. You need a couple hundred watts worth of panels. Check Expy's solar freezer thread.  

Link Posted: 5/7/2011 9:52:08 AM EDT
[#19]
Damn you ARFCOM...spending all my money!

Went to biglots and just could not help my self, as I was at harbor freight earlier in the day and they had a 1000/2000 watt inverter for $79! marked down from like $120.

Bought the Black & Decker VEC49DCB for $50 bucks.

They also had the vector model# VEC49D for $40 bucks, but it did not have the cables ( 6 gauge), based on the model number and side by side comparison this Black & Decker is a re-badge of the  Vector VEC049D ...listed here for $134 http://www.amazon.com/Vector-VEC049D-Power-Inverter-Level/dp/B00009W3ZF the other one is listed for $83 http://www.amazon.com/Black-Decker-VEC049DCB-Power-Inverter/dp/B0027ISB1I/ref=pd_sbs_ol_2

The shelf's were loaded with them, about 30-40 , along with the a few dozen chargers.

**edit**

Did some testing, powered a 5amp circular saw, and a small 8amp wet vac (under total load, stuck my hand on the end) worked great! the power level indicator gives an instant read out and is about 90% correct.
Link Posted: 5/7/2011 10:56:02 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not enough solar capacity. You need a couple hundred watts worth of panels. Check Expy's solar freezer thread.  

In his freezer thread, he said he is averaging 320W/day of usage.  Seems like 2 banks of those panels would be enough to keep up with the demands of the freezer.  If you don't have a day where you are getting 6 hours of full sun, you also have a day where it is much cooler and the usage should be lower as well.  As long as you have enough battery storage where you are not discharging them excessively, it seems like it would be a system that would get by.

EXPY is also running a lot of other equipment off of his panels in addition to his 2 freezers that is upping his wattage requirements.
Link Posted: 5/7/2011 12:33:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 5/7/2011 12:55:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
did you guys get cables with your? they were listed on the box but not included. I did get the ends for them to make my own but no cables. no big deal for this price i can buy a set and still come out good.

they are suppose to be there, in fact the Styrofoam has a rounded shape on the bottom where they sit in. Someone must have swiped the cables or they missed them from the factory. Return it and get the cables, two 6 gauge cables about 3 1/2 feet long (maybe four ft).
Link Posted: 5/7/2011 1:29:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Bought two. These are my first. Now I need a good deal on batteries.
Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/7/2011 2:41:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 5/7/2011 2:51:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
did you guys get cables with your? they were listed on the box but not included. I did get the ends for them to make my own but no cables. no big deal for this price i can buy a set and still come out good.

they are suppose to be there, in fact the Styrofoam has a rounded shape on the bottom where they sit in. Someone must have swiped the cables or they missed them from the factory. Return it and get the cables, two 6 gauge cables about 3 1/2 feet long (maybe four ft).

only one they had. i'll make some cables. i just thought it was woerd i got the ends for the cables but n cables. even if the cables were there were yours needing assembly?

pre-assembled, cables had circle terminals (for battery) on one end and the funky rectangle ended terminals on the other. Box also included two terminal lugs that had the rectangle ends. Buy some terminals and 6 gauge wire or better and your will be all set.

I actually tested mine with the included extra terminal lugs with a jump box that had alligator clips, so that's another short term option to consider.
Link Posted: 5/7/2011 4:27:00 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 5/8/2011 2:32:24 PM EDT
[#27]
Score.
Link Posted: 5/9/2011 6:08:42 PM EDT
[#28]
Got one, thanks.

My BL also has http://www.amazon.com/Black-Decker-VEC1093DBD-Battery-Charger/dp/B000EJQJ1G/ for $50

Is it worth picking up to keep on hand along with the inverter?
Link Posted: 5/9/2011 8:22:49 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Got one, thanks.

My BL also has http://www.amazon.com/Black-Decker-VEC1093DBD-Battery-Charger/dp/B000EJQJ1G/ for $50

Whoa, yeh!

They are superb battery chargers - will supply the full rated charging current even when powered by a very small generator. 50 bucks is about half what they normally sell for.
Link Posted: 5/10/2011 4:48:48 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Got one, thanks.

Whoa, yeh!

They are superb battery chargers - will supply the full rated charging current even when powered by a very small generator. 50 bucks is about half what they normally sell for.

Looks like I need to run back to BL tonight then... thanks.
Link Posted: 5/10/2011 8:22:50 AM EDT
[#31]
Nice post Skibane! I found three at my local BL, brought two home. The best inverter score I've ever found was at Target. I bought six Vector 500/600 peak inverter for $7.49 ea. At the same time their Vector version of the same battery charger BL has for $50 for....... $7.49. And, two Vector digital jump start portable power pack with LED lights for.......... $7.49 ea. That, was a great score....
Link Posted: 5/10/2011 10:27:23 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Got one, thanks.

Whoa, yeh!

I picked up an Inverter at lunch and just read the rest of this thread....... They had the charger at the BL in OKC for $35

Link Posted: 5/10/2011 5:58:58 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Got one, thanks.

Whoa, yeh!

I picked up an Inverter at lunch and just read the rest of this thread....... They had the charger at the BL in OKC for $35

You sure it's not a smaller one that can handle 10/6/2a? Mine had one rated for that for $35 and the one I linked to for $50 (which I picked up tonight)
Link Posted: 5/11/2011 2:48:29 AM EDT
[#34]
I don't know much about inverters, so forgive me for this question:

If I get this or similar inverter for $50 and a battery charger for $35 plus a mini generator for $80, will this setup allow me to run a ref and a tv in case of a power outage? For example, I plug appliances into the inverter.  Then, as the battery runs down, charge it with a small generator. And so on.

What appliances can be powered with this inverter and for how long?

Just trying to learn something new and maybe get a cheap setup for just in case.
Link Posted: 5/11/2011 5:30:50 AM EDT
[#35]
I bought one of the 35 dollar battery chargers and mine has 3 levels of charging.  The 50 dollar one has 4 levels of charging.

As for the above question, here is a quick run down.

A generator produces power so you plug a cord into it and run stuff off the generator.  No battery needed.  Now some generators make dirty power and dirty power can upset some sensitive electronics.  

Putting the invertor in your vehicle will let the invertor pull from your vehicle's battery and you can run a lot of stuff.  Depending on battery size you won't have a lot of run time with larger stuff.

As to what it will run, there are lists on the net you can search for that will give a rough rundown of startup needs for some stuff and operating needs for that same stuff.  It is hard to just name everything that might work but this 1k watt invertor will run a lot of stuff if you are reasonable.  A smallish tv is no biggy, it might not handle a larger or older setup.  It might not handle the whole surround sound setup.  So just naming a tv is what I would normally do but some folks go off the deep end and figure it will run a whole entertainment center with ease.  

The generator with the battery charger could then charge up the battery in your vehicle while also probably running some stuff as well.

While I do use an invertor in my vehicle a fair bit I limit that stuff to smaller stuff and my diesel jeep has one big battery.  

I plan to make a setup using a couple golf cart batteries soon probably and will just plan on using that for running the invertor more often if the power is out for a while.

And depending on the battery charger setup you might find it slow to recharge the batteries doing things that way.
Link Posted: 5/11/2011 5:48:18 AM EDT
[#36]
Thank you very much for the explanation. I would skip the vehicle part all together.
For some reason I thought that an inverter has a battery integrated into it, sort of like a car battery jumper.

So to recap, the setup that I was thinking of should consist of:

1) Generator for $80
2) A battery charger $35
3) A battery - $?
4) An inverter $50

What kind of a battery can you recommend?
Link Posted: 5/11/2011 5:50:41 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
What appliances can be powered with this inverter and for how long?

It depends on the size of your battery(s), and the size of the load you're powering.

For example, a Size 27 Deep Cycle "Marine/RV" battery has around 1,200 watt-hours of storage capacity (100 amp-hours X 12 volts = 1,200 watt-hours) - which means that it could power a device that consumes 10 watts of power for 120 hours, or a device that uses 20 watts for 60 hours, and so on:

Watts X Hours = Watt-Hours

If you connect two Size 27 batteries together, your maximum run-time doubles.

However, batteries last much longer if they aren't discharged more than 80 percent of their full capacity very often. So, to get the best life expectancy out of your Size 27 battery, you would reduce the run time of your load between recharges by 20 percent (i.e., 96 hours for a 10 watt load, or 48 hours for a 20 watt load, and so on). Also, no inverter is 100 percent efficient, so you might reduce your run-time by another 10 percent to make sure you aren't exceeding the 80 percent discharge point when the inverter's inefficiency is also included.

So...

A 10 watt load: Around 87 hours.
A 20 watt load: Around 43 hours, and so on.
Link Posted: 5/11/2011 2:31:57 PM EDT
[#38]
Upstate SC report:

A few stores had the Inverter (got one), however the VEC1087CBD was the biggest charger available (10/6/2 amp, $35). Went ahead and grabbed one of those too, but will keep my receipt and look for the big boy just in case I find it.

At least one of the sold-out stores received these about a month ago, according to an employee.

They seem to be with automotive stuff, although the automotive aisle location varies greatly by store. I had decent success describing the items to floor clerks and had them check the shelves before I headed out. Background color on the boxes is almost completely orange, if you're trying to call ahead with descriptions to confirm availability.
Link Posted: 5/13/2011 8:15:24 PM EDT
[#39]
score. last one on shelf
Link Posted: 5/14/2011 11:51:52 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

<SNIP>

I went ahead and got the 400 watt model as well.

<SNIP>.

not to hijack this thread, but for those of you that also bought the smaller 400 watt inverter, how has it performed so far? My 400 watt inverter shit the bed today, I have it permanently mounted to multiple jump box's over time, was about 6 years old with a couple hundred hours on it...banging around in my trunk for years. The 1000 watt inverter I bought is too big for the jump box.

So now I am in the market for a smaller one. Does the fan stay on continuous on this model? Any cons?

Thanks

Link Posted: 5/15/2011 8:15:08 AM EDT
[#41]
I tried it out to make sure it worked.  I am not at home so I don't know if the fan stays on all the time or not.

I expect to be very happy with it.  

Vector makes a lot of stuff for other people so I expect no problems from this one.

I have other invertors, several actually.

I now have enough I can mount one in the jeep permanently, make a battery power box, keep one with the trailer/tool stuff, and still have an extra one or two wandering around.

I think almost all of my stuff is made by vector, I need to see who cobra had make their invertor but other than that one I think everything is vector or rebranded vector.

If I did not already have several invertors of similar size I would have bought 2 or 3 of these.

I am house sitting and overtime at work is getting ready to crank up pretty hard so I probably won't even think to check if the fan runs all the time when I do get back to the house and have time to pull the invertor back out.
Link Posted: 5/15/2011 8:40:46 AM EDT
[#42]
bought the small 400 watt yesterday at big lots for $20, smoking deal considering it list for $40 on amazon Link

The fan stays on all the time, no big deal...the one that died had a fan that stayed on all the time as well.

On a side note, the shelf's were filled with dozens of the 1k inverters 400 watt's and couple dozen chargers. Big lots must have made a huge purchase of these things!

Link Posted: 5/15/2011 11:40:52 AM EDT
[#43]
did some shopping today....

Thanks for the heads up....I'm going to go ahead and grab 3 more tomorrow.
Link Posted: 5/15/2011 11:04:51 PM EDT
[#44]

E2, look at those dies in the crimper kit closely and tell us what you see...
Link Posted: 5/16/2011 2:50:38 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

E2, look at those dies in the crimper kit closely and tell us what you see...

they are the cheapest set ever made?

they were missing the instructions?...so the guy knocked $10 off....paid $40 for them.

help me here....I'm going to use them to make some cables for my batt set up.........do they ignite under pressure....I'm not an electrician....HELP....

Really....I haven't looked too close at them...is it a major issue for the hobbyist?.
Link Posted: 5/16/2011 4:08:12 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Some of the Big Lots stores are currently selling the Black & Decker VEC049DCB 1KW Inverter for 50 bucks. This is an entry-level model - Produces a "modified sine" waveform that a few appliances don't like, rather than the pure sine waveform produced by the better models. However, for the money, it's a good buy. Comes with a 2 year warranty, a pair of 3 foot DC power cables, and spare lugs for building your own longer cables.

You could say that...... Sorry for the crappy cell pics.

Clean AC power

The setup, using a small UPS battery that was handy.

Inverter output.

Not bad for the price though. Thinking about picking up another for a spare.
Link Posted: 5/16/2011 6:19:54 PM EDT
[#47]
Yep, the waveform of any "modified sine wave" inverter ain't too purdy, particularly when the inverter is unloaded. With a modest resistive load, it starts lookin' a little bit better...
Link Posted: 5/19/2011 6:02:16 PM EDT
[#48]
I just picked up 2 of the 1KW Inverters at the BL in Monroeville,PA.  They had about 6 left.
Link Posted: 5/20/2011 10:35:36 AM EDT
[#49]
Does the green LED meter work on y'all's inverters? I've tried 2 so far and neither have the output meter functional. Not a big deal and I probably won't burn the gas a 3rd time to get back over there, but still a little grrr.
Link Posted: 5/20/2011 12:43:26 PM EDT
[#50]
The "Wattage Power Meter" seems to require quite a bit of power draw in order to register anything. - It only  displayed when I stalled the hand drill which was plugged in. Vector may have designed the meter to only go full-scale when the inverter is supplying its 2KW peak power - which means that you'd need at least 100 watts of AC load in order to get the first LED segment illuminated (assuming all 10 LED segments illuminate in linear increments).
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top