Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 2/8/2011 10:34:11 AM EDT
I figured for $29.00 I would give it a shot.  Below are pics (crappy cell phone...sorry) and a list of the contents to give some others ideas.

The total weight of this set-up with my contents is 26lbs according to my bathroom scale

Here is the bag...(not a cellphone pic...the TT E&E pouch is now in the bag)

Inside of the bottom outside pouch:
basic first aid kit (added extra OTC meds), extra guaze pads, pen light, light stick, burn gel, hand sanitizer, eyedrops (I wear contacts)

Inside the top outside pouch:
3 Mountain House pouches, water purification tablets, 2 Frontier filter straws, small LED flashlight

Inside the main compartment is a small mesh zippered pouch:
2 ponchos, 2 emergency blankets, hand warmers

The main compartment itself:
Extra cargo pants, 2 pairs socks and 2 pair underwear in a ziploc bag, t-shirt and thermal top in a ziploc bag

emergency food and water for 72hrs, turkey jerky

Paracord
A TT E&E pouch with Gerber multi-tool, extra batteries, Mini Mag flashlight, sharpie, sharpening stone, Gorilla tape
Waterproof bag with toiletries: toothpast, deodorant, toothbrush, mouthwash, floss, razor, shaving cream, plastic comb, bodywash
Waterproof bag with fire starting stuff: Blastmatch, Bic lighter, waterproof camping matches, Triox fuel sticks
Small pouch with small camping cooking pot and utensils (swiss army spork type thing)
Small pouch with spare contacts, saline solution, contact lens case, bug reppellant (not sure why its with my eye stuff)

On the outside molle is a KaBar Knife and Binoculars

On the other side is a BOK and 2 spare AR mags

Not shown is a SIG bottle I attach to the molle with a carabiner.  There is still plenty of molle webbing on the front and bottom for other items if I choose to add more, as well as a place for a water bladder which is inserted through the inside of the main compartment (I do not have one as I have no knowledge about them or what will fit best)
Link Posted: 2/8/2011 11:22:41 AM EDT
[#1]
With the mindset of being on the scene first, I would suggest some type of face mask to keep airborne debris out. Maybe 1 or 2 Israeli bandages, gloves to deal with bleeding. Break up the fire making equipment like you did with the flashlights and eye drops.(2 is 1 and 1 is none). Paper to go with the sharpie.The bag will accept a 100oz. camelbak bladder or equivalent. Everything else in your setup looks good to go, especialy the ka-bar
Link Posted: 2/8/2011 11:40:27 AM EDT
[#2]
RenaissanceMan, thanks for the info on the bladder.

I have one of these on hand for dust and other nasty things in the air...

....plus the scott on the right...

...and an MSA at work

The BOK on the side of the pack has an "H" compression, QC sponge, Primed guaze, TK4, duct tape

I like the pack, but its low price concerns me...I was considering replacing my car "get home" bag with the LA Police gear bag and upgrading my BOB to a Tactical Tailor 3 Day bag.  Any opinions are welcome.
Link Posted: 2/8/2011 11:45:48 AM EDT
[#3]
If you're going to have external mag pouches, i'd put them somwere that you can easily reach them without removing the pack.

The bag i've got has some narrow hip pouches with molle between the pouch and the padded hip strap, so i threw in a double-pocket there, and it's not very visible but easy to get to.
Link Posted: 2/8/2011 12:08:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Those two mags are just there to refill any used mags from the MAV.....plus I had it laying around and decided to give it a home on the pack.

Link Posted: 2/8/2011 1:06:39 PM EDT
[#5]
FlashBang,

I JUST received my LAPG bag today and I like your set up! I am going to move my kit over this weekend.
Link Posted: 2/8/2011 2:00:07 PM EDT
[#6]
I have this same bag. I am switching it to my GHB. I thought it was a bit bigger when i ordered it. It is pretty sturdy. I have taken it hiking as well as camping. It's been dropped dragged through the mud and been out in the rain. I like the bag. Your set up looks good. I would double up on certain things as well.
Link Posted: 2/8/2011 6:16:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I have this same bag. I am switching it to my GHB. I thought it was a bit bigger when i ordered it. It is pretty sturdy. I have taken it hiking as well as camping. It's been dropped dragged through the mud and been out in the rain. I like the bag. Your set up looks good. I would double up on certain things as well.

Thanks for the info, good to know that it held up.  I agree, I do need to double up on some items and add some sort of tent and sleep system.  I also have a Katadyn Hiker Microfilter on the way.  I need some better flashlights too, all my good ones are in use at work.

I plan on taking it out camping a few times myself.
Link Posted: 2/8/2011 6:17:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
FlashBang,

I JUST received my LAPG bag today and I like your set up! I am going to move my kit over this weekend.

I have to say, the bag was better than expected.  I hope you get good use out of yours.  I plan on getting another for my truck.

Link Posted: 2/8/2011 6:24:31 PM EDT
[#9]
I saw that you had extra contact lenses.  What about a spare set of glasses?

mm
Link Posted: 2/8/2011 6:32:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I saw that you had extra contact lenses.  What about a spare set of glasses?

mm

Lol, I was waiting for someone to pick up on that.  I have one pair I switch to every few days, so needless to say I am due for a new pair and the old ones will become part of the kit.
Link Posted: 2/8/2011 7:27:53 PM EDT
[#11]
what make bag is this? I'm looking on the website but I guess I'm just not seeing it.
Link Posted: 2/8/2011 7:34:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
what make bag is this? I'm looking on the website but I guess I'm just not seeing it.

LA Police Gear 3 Day Backpack.  On their site look under "Shop By Brand" then it in the "LA Police Gear Apparel" catagory, just scroll down the page.
Link Posted: 2/8/2011 8:02:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

LA Police Gear 3 Day Backpack.  On their site look under "Shop By Brand" then it in the "LA Police Gear Apparel" catagory, just scroll down the page.

awesome, thanks!!
Link Posted: 2/9/2011 7:28:25 AM EDT
[#14]
looks pretty good!  i have a somewhat similiar set up, i'll take pictures here in a minute.

only things i would do different, more TP, especially if you're eating MH for a day or two

lose the cargo pants, extra weight you don't need, considering you wear pants at work

lose the Waterproof bag with toiletries: toothpast, deodorant, toothbrush, mouthwash, floss, razor, shaving cream, plastic comb, bodywash you can go a couple days without brushing your teeth and what not, however keep the deodorant for while it's cold outside, sweat is the enemy

i'd replace that with a broken down MRE so you have a meal for on the go besides the beef jerky

I may have missed it but i didn't see any way to hold water.  bladders are AWESOME for ease of use while on the go, but they break.  I'd attach at least an empty bottle of your choice to the pack, ie canteen, naglene etc

Hope this helps, of course everything is just my opinion and Your Mileage May Very

ETA: a simple big poncho and 550 cord are all you need for shelter, however it sounds like you work in the city primarily so i'd suggest using your surroundings to find shelter.  Abandoned house, car, boat, UFO etc would all work with just using your emergency blanket and a sleeping pad
Link Posted: 2/9/2011 7:57:52 AM EDT
[#15]
Toiletries can give you a much needed morale boost when you are feeling shitty.  While in Iraq, a quick brush of the teeth, an even quicker whore's bath with baby wipes, and a light wipe of deodorant almost seemed to revive you when all you wanted to do was collapse.  IMO the extra weight for those items is negligible, and worth it.
Link Posted: 2/9/2011 8:40:58 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
looks pretty good!  i have a somewhat similiar set up, i'll take pictures here in a minute.

only things i would do different, more TP, especially if you're eating MH for a day or two
I have a small pack of baby wipes I forgot to list.  Also have some MRE toilet paper packs.
lose the cargo pants, extra weight you don't need, considering you wear pants at work
Unfortunately I wear a suit to work...the cargos would be a much needed improvement over the suit pants
lose the Waterproof bag with toiletries: toothpast, deodorant, toothbrush, mouthwash, floss, razor, shaving cream, plastic comb, bodywash you can go a couple days without brushing your teeth and what not, however keep the deodorant for while it's cold outside, sweat is the enemy
10-4 on that one, although I am opting to keep that stuff because from past camping experiences, being able to wash up and brush the cat turd taste outta my mouth was a nice luxury
i'd replace that with a broken down MRE so you have a meal for on the go besides the beef jerky
Just ordered some MRE entree's...thanks for that as well
I may have missed it but i didn't see any way to hold water.  bladders are AWESOME for ease of use while on the go, but they break.  I'd attach at least an empty bottle of your choice to the pack, ie canteen, naglene etc
I have a GI canteen and a SIG bottle for now.  Not familiar with bladders and I am trying to figure out which one to get for the pack since it has a pocket for one....suggestions are welcome
Hope this helps, of course everything is just my opinion and Your Mileage May Very

ETA: a simple big poncho and 550 cord are all you need for shelter, however it sounds like you work in the city primarily so i'd suggest using your surroundings to find shelter.  Abandoned house, car, boat, UFO etc would all work with just using your emergency blanket and a sleeping pad

Good point on the shelter idea as well.   Thanks for the tips, I appreciate it.  My issued rain gear is fairly heavy duty....I might use that since I can get them from guys about to retire...it's blue and not tacticool, but definitely works.

Link Posted: 2/9/2011 9:00:02 AM EDT
[#17]
also forgot to ask, are those wool socks or cotton socks?  

i ask because cotton socks SUCK for wearing more than a day or so especially while sweating.  I may be weird though, i wear wool or synthetic socks or both depending on the weather condition almost all year round.  even if it's 110* outside i wear light smartwool socks if i'm doing any sort of activity, YMMV tho.

otherwise seems you've got a great set up!
Link Posted: 2/9/2011 9:38:40 AM EDT
[#18]
As a first responder you should stock extra latex gloves with your FAK.  In a high casualty producing incident you will never have enough.

I also didn't see a water filter listed.
Link Posted: 2/9/2011 10:15:33 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
As a first responder you should stock extra latex gloves with your FAK.  In a high casualty producing incident you will never have enough.

I also didn't see a water filter listed.

This bag is actually part of my at home kit.  At work I have a different kit.
In the outside top pouch I have 2 Frontier Filter straws.  Also have on order a Katadyn Hiker Microfilter.
Link Posted: 2/9/2011 10:21:37 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
also forgot to ask, are those wool socks or cotton socks?  

i ask because cotton socks SUCK for wearing more than a day or so especially while sweating.  I may be weird though, i wear wool or synthetic socks or both depending on the weather condition almost all year round.  even if it's 110* outside i wear light smartwool socks if i'm doing any sort of activity, YMMV tho.

otherwise seems you've got a great set up!

They are some wool socks I picked up at Target awhile back.  I should probably upgrade them.  During September 11th they had a tent set up with supplies for the first responders....socks were one of those items.  During the 16-18 hour tours it was nice to get a change of socks....made a world of difference comfortwise.
Link Posted: 2/9/2011 10:25:29 AM EDT
[#21]
Just wondering if the bag was made in China? The price is good, but I don't like Chinese made equipment.... It's just a personal preference thing..
Link Posted: 2/9/2011 10:38:03 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Just wondering if the bag was made in China? The price is good, but I don't like Chinese made equipment.... It's just a personal preference thing..

It's not in front of me at the moment, but I'm sure it is.
Link Posted: 2/9/2011 11:09:28 AM EDT
[#23]
What kind of belt is shown?
Link Posted: 2/9/2011 11:18:27 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
What kind of belt is shown?

It is just a no name brand web belt.  I had it laying around for a few years and decided to put it to use.
Link Posted: 2/9/2011 12:57:38 PM EDT
[#25]
You Fail! Its not Multicam Just kidding. I like your rig. its smaller than mine but i have a LOOOONG way to go to get home.
I have proposed the same rig to my wife as a B.O.B.

Thanks for posting this,
Jim
Link Posted: 2/9/2011 1:47:45 PM EDT
[#26]
I have the same 3 day bag. I put two 6x6 side pouches on mine to carry more crap.  I wind up using them for all things small and commonly used.
Link Posted: 2/10/2011 6:21:15 PM EDT
[#27]
One thing I didn't see (although my ADD may have kept me from reading every entry) is a lightweight fleece hat.
Link Posted: 2/11/2011 1:19:02 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I have the same 3 day bag. I put two 6x6 side pouches on mine to carry more crap.  I wind up using them for all things small and commonly used.

Hows the quality?  The stitching and zippers good?  I have to sell the wife on this if it's good quality.  Especially since you get hammered on the S&H.  Is it another brand that's retagged?
Link Posted: 2/11/2011 3:42:08 PM EDT
[#29]
flashbang, for socks check out sierra trading post. They have a bunch of them on sale. I just bought a new pair of 5.11 boots and they came with four pair of free socks.
Link Posted: 2/11/2011 5:53:34 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
flashbang, for socks check out sierra trading post. They have a bunch of them on sale. I just bought a new pair of 5.11 boots and they came with four pair of free socks.

Sierra has Merino smart woll socks %50 percent off plus %20 more if you buy today......
I'm buying now.
Jim
Link Posted: 2/11/2011 8:56:09 PM EDT
[#31]
Updated photos.  Like everything else a work in progress.  Even though I am waiting on some items to arrive to add to the pack, it is ready to go as it is.

Outside of pack...

For those interested, the openings for the bladder drinking tube.  One on each side of the top carry handle...

Main compartment of the pack with everything I had listed earlier...everything is modular and easy to access...

Outside upper pouch....

Outside lower pouch....

The reorganized E&E Pouch. Poncho, emergency blanket, flashlight, batteries, Gerber multi-tool, waterproof matches, Frontier filter straw...

I use the lower outside pouch for medical and first aid supplies.  I recently added this 8x10 bag of OTC meds to suppliment the first aid kit...

On the side molle of the bag is my BOK.  Inside is compressed gauze, "H" compression bandage, QC sponge(under the "H" bandage), small roll of duct tape....
Link Posted: 2/11/2011 8:59:41 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hows the quality?  The stitching and zippers good?  I have to sell the wife on this if it's good quality.  Especially since you get hammered on the S&H.  Is it another brand that's retagged?

I haven't field tested it yet myself so I can't say much other than it looks sturdy....but my knowledge is limited in this area.  The zippers are plastic and stiff to operate, but as I have been packing and repacking the bag I have had no problems....but again, this is just what I have been doing in the house.  Hopefully someone can give you better info.
Link Posted: 2/11/2011 9:01:17 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sierra has Merino smart woll socks %50 percent off plus %20 more if you buy today......
I'm buying now.
Jim

Thanks guys for that info, I'll be checking that out.
Link Posted: 2/12/2011 4:07:34 AM EDT
[#34]
My Kabar short tanto came yesterday. Wicked sticker. I like it!
Link Posted: 2/13/2011 2:05:23 PM EDT
[#35]
I've got 2 of the lapg 3 day backpacks..one  OD and one tan....for $30 bucks each plus the %15 off they had, I thought what the heck....I have not used either one and am not sure what I am going to do with them...Since I saw your thread OP, I think I will give one to a friend and keep one myself and set it up similar to what you have going! Good job and nice pictures!
Link Posted: 2/14/2011 6:35:10 AM EDT
[#36]
I just ordered the Camelbak 100oz antidote bladder.  I will post more pics when it arrives.
Link Posted: 2/14/2011 9:21:58 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

I just ordered the Camelbak 100oz antidote bladder.  I will post more pics when it arrives.

Yea man, keep the pics and info coming, I just reveiwed the chinook website based on your gear and SHIT, that stuff is awesome.

Link Posted: 2/14/2011 10:55:39 AM EDT
[#38]
yep, digging this thread...nice photos by the way
Link Posted: 2/14/2011 4:04:12 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yea man, keep the pics and info coming, I just reveiwed the chinook website based on your gear and SHIT, that stuff is awesome.

I will.  I do agree, Chinook has some good stuff.
Link Posted: 2/14/2011 4:05:01 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
yep, digging this thread...nice photos by the way

Thanks.  I will try to keep the photos coming as the gear arrives.
Link Posted: 2/14/2011 6:44:41 PM EDT
[#41]
I'm glad I saw this. . .I was looking at this backpack for a different purpose, would it hold a laptop safely?  I'm thinking a laptop in a laptop sleeve.  It's hard to tell based on the website
Link Posted: 2/14/2011 8:00:16 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I'm glad I saw this. . .I was looking at this backpack for a different purpose, would it hold a laptop safely?  I'm thinking a laptop in a laptop sleeve.  It's hard to tell based on the website

No laptop sleeve in the pack.  There is a sleeve for a water bladder, but there is no padding between the main compartment and the bladder sleeve.
Link Posted: 2/15/2011 7:46:35 AM EDT
[#43]
I approve, except:

1.  I'd ditch the big fixed blade and get a folder (personal pref)
2.  Silnylon tarp, you need one.
3.  Toilet paper,  sunscreen (presun), lip balm, bug repellant.  
4.  water purification/filtration  (this is the only item of significant size I'd add, maybe less necessary if you're exclusively urban –– in which case a silcock key is 100% necessary)
5.  head sock.  keep your melon warm in cold weather
(also of note) I'm not sure if you travel with an AR all the time, but if you don't the mags are just dead weight
Link Posted: 2/15/2011 8:17:15 AM EDT
[#44]
I like the pack, but its low price concerns me...I was considering replacing my car "get home" bag with the LA Police gear bag and upgrading my BOB to a Tactical Tailor 3 Day bag.  Any opinions are welcome.

I wouldn't be worried about the price of the bag, I bought the same one in Coyote back in 2004. It served me two tours in Iraq and I still use it for a weekend bag for Hiking.
Link Posted: 2/15/2011 11:09:56 AM EDT
[#45]
I just bought this exact same pack from amazon, not LA supply. They only had it in ACU tho. I have mine set up a little different, because I am expecting mine son to be born any day or week now and never know where work will have me at that time. So my BOB is my 'daddy's spare clothes and other shit' bag. I really like your setup though and wil change mine appropriately after the return from the hospital.

For water filter/bottle combo- I got a Sawyer from wallyworld. It has a naglene type bottle with a .02 filter that goes inside. Pour nasty water in...and drink. Filter can be removed to go in the bottom of a 5gal bucket or whatever. THought it might come in hand to be able to use multiple ways. It was ~$35-40.

@Mom2Sarah-look at the otter/pelican laptop cases. I got a netbook for my wife and am looking at a pelican 1080, i think it is to pu thte laptop in so i can put it in this bag for the hospital stay. Good armor investment for expensive little fragile laptops
Link Posted: 2/15/2011 11:34:45 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Its alright for $30. I wouldn't bet my life on it lasting through alot of abuse though.  The seam to the  left and right of the pictured drinking tube hole in his pics started to pull on mine. (to the left of the tube hole and from the outside edge to the zipper.  This happened when I had the bag loaded with ammo and picked it up by the open part of the bag.

I wouldnt suggest it for a long term survival bag BUT for $30 its lasted me well over a year now and is still going
Link Posted: 2/15/2011 5:03:53 PM EDT
[#47]
I mis-posted earlier about the Wallyworld Sawyer filter...it is .2 microns, not .01 microns. Sorry 'bout that
Link Posted: 2/15/2011 6:57:19 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Its alright for $30. I wouldn't bet my life on it lasting through alot of abuse though.  The seam to the  left and right of the pictured drinking tube hole in his pics started to pull on mine. (to the left of the tube hole and from the outside edge to the zipper.  This happened when I had the bag loaded with ammo and picked it up by the open part of the bag.

I wouldnt suggest it for a long term survival bag BUT for $30 its lasted me well over a year now and is still going

I've had this bag for about a year now and carry probably 35lbs or so in it daily. It's held up amazingly well for the $30 I paid for it. No issues to date. I may just buy another to have on reserve.
Link Posted: 2/15/2011 7:18:50 PM EDT
[#49]
I may have missed it but what about fire starting material?
I keep a good US GI Poncho and liner + 550 cord in addition to the mylar blankets, found the mylar is very limited.
I would suggest keeping a couple of fresh bottled waters in the pack, I know you have treating materials and filters but that requires you to find a "raw," source then time to treat or filter.
I secong the opinion of a fleece cap, what about work type or tac gloves?
I would also suggest a short length of heavier rope and some long cable ties.
Link Posted: 2/15/2011 7:19:10 PM EDT
[#50]
I have one too, I was wondering what all to put in it.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top