Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/11/2010 7:23:24 PM EDT
ok guys i am determined to get some kind of surplus parka, since my desert night camo parka didnt pan out. what can you guys tell me about these? how are they and how do they fit?  thanks guys!
Link Posted: 10/12/2010 4:34:16 AM EDT
[#1]
I guess there are a bunch of questions you have to answer first.

Like why you want a mil parka? Plenty of other options, and often they are "better".

What are you going to use it for?

What went wrong with the one you had?

Unless you are going to hang out in very cold places for extended periods of time, a parka is probably not the best choice for cold weather gear.
Link Posted: 10/12/2010 5:38:03 AM EDT
[#2]
I love my parka. Served me well at Minot AFB, ND. We called the wearers "porthole ninjas", as the hood, when properly deployed, only shows your eyes.
Link Posted: 10/12/2010 11:05:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I guess there are a bunch of questions you have to answer first.

Like why you want a mil parka? Plenty of other options, and often they are "better".

What are you going to use it for?

What went wrong with the one you had?

Unless you are going to hang out in very cold places for extended periods of time, a parka is probably not the best choice for cold weather gear.

i want one i guess just because.

i cant find the desert nite camo parka in the correct size.
Link Posted: 10/12/2010 3:50:57 PM EDT
[#4]
I've been looking at them myself.

The fishtail parkas are sized very large, since they are designed to be worn over other clothes, even a field jacket.  I tried a couple on at a gunshow last month.  If you are planning on wearing it over regular street clothes you can go down a size or two.  E.g., I normally wear an XL but a Medium fit me fine when worn over just a shirt.

Need a scooter with it, too.  

Link Posted: 10/12/2010 3:58:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Isn't that the same parka that Denzel Washington wears in "The Book Of Eli"?

Link Posted: 10/12/2010 4:03:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_NU-pE7OL21Y/TCkMcXD35lI/AAAAAAAAAkM/yYJZY7DcPck/s1600/the+book+of+eli.jpg

Ahh... one of THOSE. I was thinking cold weather.

Link Posted: 10/12/2010 7:12:47 PM EDT
[#7]
They make a great knock around cold weather coat.  I wear mine to the range in the winter.  I've actually shot in blizzard conditions with just it and a baclava on.  toasty warm.  Never attached the hood though.  Usually can find them pretty cheap online.  Worth the money in my opinion.

Brett
Link Posted: 10/13/2010 2:12:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/14/2010 2:19:25 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_NU-pE7OL21Y/TCkMcXD35lI/AAAAAAAAAkM/yYJZY7DcPck/s1600/the+book+of+eli.jpg

yip, have one with liner.

Does ok..long as the liner is not compressed. does alright into the 30's... but thats with layers under it.

I would rather just have the outter shell with a good fleece under it ,,,or go with a suplus goretex with fleece.
Link Posted: 10/14/2010 3:53:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I've been looking at them myself.

The fishtail parkas are sized very large, since they are designed to be worn over other clothes, even a field jacket.  I tried a couple on at a gunshow last month.  If you are planning on wearing it over regular street clothes you can go down a size or two.  E.g., I normally wear an XL but a Medium fit me fine when worn over just a shirt.

Need a scooter with it, too.  

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/8/8a/Quadrophenia_%28album%29.jpg

"I ride my GS scooter with my hair cut neat
and wear my wartime coat in the winter's sleet."

Can I declare this a Quadrophenia thread?  Or is that only in GD?
Link Posted: 10/14/2010 12:18:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top