Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/7/2007 10:50:44 AM EDT
I have some questions regarding Alice packs.  I see Tactical Tailor's Malice pack and I see people still old ones.  Why?  Is it sentimental or are people just using what they have, or is it something else?  By the time you buy a Malice or mod your Alice, you could buy a decent modern pack.  The last time I used an Alice was boot camp, and I hated it.  They are cheap enough, I can see getting a medium and using it without a frame for a throw around pack.  Anyone here use them, and if so, why?
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 12:21:46 PM EDT
[#1]
I am also interested in what people have to say. Some people seem to like them, others hate them.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 12:45:20 PM EDT
[#2]
I've got a medium, no frame, in the truck, with some lightweight camping gear in it.

I have no delusions of needing to be outfitted like some high-speed special ops guy, I just needed a durable bag, and the alice pack does just fine for that, and was cheaper and better made than most commercial backpacks out there.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 12:58:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 4:54:38 AM EDT
[#4]
+1 for Bala and Raf both....

IMHO why spend/waste the crazy bucks on something "new" that isn't nec. better?

ALICE's are tough and now cheap (thanks to all the guys buying 'new' stuff )

I really like them myself. And if you want to get "fancy" it's not all that difficult to sew on some molle straps etc to customize it for your needs.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 7:25:15 AM EDT
[#5]
First time I ever used an Alice pack... I hated it.  

But I was an out of shape recruit in basic training.

Over the past 9 years that I've been in, I've learned how to load it (heavy towards the frame and top), and how to get it to fit my 6'5" frame better.

I've got a TT Malice pack, and once you load it up and hitch the sternum strap, its one of the most comfortable packs I've had.

YMMV
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 7:42:55 AM EDT
[#6]
I have a large. It is the one I had on active duty anf throughout my time in the guard. Not sentimental but it served me extremely well from 90-98. I can hump tons of weight comfortably. I know it is bulletproof and will not fail me.

Saturday night I went out and did 6 miles with about 60 pounds for a little PT. No problems.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 8:20:33 AM EDT
[#7]
i got mine in 93-94,, its been through hell, been ran over etc still going.
they key is to pack it correctly,, for it to work.
plus the med alice is perfect for 3 day deals, even for winter.
plus you cant break the damn things unless your a retarded monkey!
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 8:25:02 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I've got a medium, no frame, in the truck, with some lightweight camping gear in it.

I have no delusions of needing to be outfitted like some high-speed special ops guy, I just needed a durable bag, and the alice pack does just fine for that, and was cheaper and better made than most commercial backpacks out there.

+1

I got mine (medium, without frame) off ebay for less than $20/shipped with straps.  I just use it for my range bag, the size is perfect.  Just off the top of my head, in the outside pockets I have (left) first aid kit, (center) soap/washcloth/razor, sewing kit, (right) OFF, hand cleaning wipes, sunscreen.  In the main pack I have a change of clothes, field jacket liner, and rain gear.  A few zip ties in the map pocket.  That pretty much fills it up but there's still extra room for small tools etc.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 8:35:10 AM EDT
[#9]
I am very happy with my Malice pack. Yes it is heavy and yes there are more modern designs out there but I dont know of any thing that is even close to being as tough as and Alice pack and frame. I have seen the frames break but that was issued gear that had been used for who knows how long by people who didnt care as they could get a new one from supply when we got out of the field. In MCMWTC (USMC cold weather training) and Norway (in Febuary) it carried everything we needed for a week in the field.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 8:46:00 AM EDT
[#10]
I have a medium size one that I use as a BOB and I really like it, had it for at least 10 years and it goes with me about everywere.

Quoted:
I am also interested in what people have to say. Some people seem to like them, others hate them.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 12:50:25 PM EDT
[#11]
I "liberated" mine from the Marines when I left back in "80".   Still have it, Still use it.

I have other high tech modern packs.  Each has it's place...........................but there's something to be said for a pack that is still humpin gear 28 Years later!!!
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 3:00:17 PM EDT
[#12]
I am a former Infantry Soldier and have used every part of the A.L.I.C.E web equipment system and some of the M1956 webgear for my past fulltime  job as a 11B Infantryman we spent a little more time with the equipment getting to know the good points and the bad points of it  than alot of folks in other M.O.S's....for the most part the complaints i hear from folks are how uncomfortable the equipment(rucksack) is and yes it will be very painfull if your not conditioned to use it and it's not put together correctly or adjusted properly your going to have problems...O.K. i agree its not the best load carrying system, but it has withstood the test of time and real world use...i still use the A.L.I.C.E large ruck these days but now just as a suitcase from home to the jeep to camp... vince g. 11b inf..
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 3:02:19 PM EDT
[#13]
I picked up quite a few before my unit sent all of ours to DRMO. Several were new/unissued. They work great as trunk bags and as many have said they're damn near indestructable. I use one as a range bag on days I take all the toys and lots of ammo. I also use one without a frame for dayhikes. It's not that I don't like more modern packs. I have several including a couple Gregory and a pair of GoLite for ultra lightweight backpacking. It all depends on what you want to use them for.

btw... yes, I'm a gear junkie like most folks here.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 1:19:51 AM EDT
[#14]

I alternate between a TT Malice pack and a Kifaru MMR.

Link Posted: 10/9/2007 1:56:51 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I have some questions regarding Alice packs.  

~ snip~

Anyone here use them, and if so, why?

-Nostalgia

-They are cheap ($ wise)

-Extremely durable

-They work great for me

-Uber tacticool

I need to send mine into tactical taylor for some repair/upgrade mods, but other than that, this is my favorite pack.

Link Posted: 10/9/2007 7:53:28 AM EDT
[#16]
Way more feedback than I expected.  Intersting responses, mostly what I thought.  I can go for most of it, still think I might pick up a medium and use it as a throw around bag.  I still don't think I could see spending $200 on a Malice pack though.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 6:42:47 AM EDT
[#17]
Use and abuse,
For a throw around bag, you're not gonna find better for the $$$

Link Posted: 11/4/2007 6:21:01 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I "liberated" mine from the Marines when I left back in "80".   Still have it, Still use it.

I have other high tech modern packs.  Each has it's place...........................but there's something to be said for a pack that is still humpin gear 28 Years later!!!

I also "liberated" mine from the Marines.  

The best thing on the Alice pack is that almost anything that can break can be fixed in the field.    

When you pack it, put your sleeping pad in first, then pack your gear inside it.  It will protect your gear from bumps and provides a basic frame.  

Link Posted: 11/4/2007 6:40:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Lots of feed back because it is the pack that started many of of and is still a great pack for the $$$.  If you were in the military a few years back you had one and got used to using it.

Ghilly
Link Posted: 11/5/2007 7:46:50 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
First time I ever used an Alice pack... I hated it.  

But I was an out of shape recruit in basic training.

Over the past 9 years that I've been in, I've learned how to load it (heavy towards the frame and top), and how to get it to fit my 6'5" frame better.

I've got a TT Malice pack, and once you load it up and hitch the sternum strap, its one of the most comfortable packs I've had.

YMMV

I'm 6'4", got any tips for a better fit on us lanky guys so that the kidney pad isnt resting at rib-level?
Link Posted: 11/5/2007 9:01:55 AM EDT
[#21]
One of the things that I have noticed is that most folks who use A-bags for BOB purposes choose them for the cross between ruggedness and relatively low price. Modding it up really detracts from that as the OP mentioned. Better to go with an alice than nothing.
Link Posted: 11/5/2007 10:11:12 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I'm 6'4", got any tips for a better fit on us lanky guys so that the kidney pad isnt resting at rib-level?

Shop the Goodwills for a longer/better pack frame.  I've picked up some high-quality items inexpensively that way.

There's not much wrong with the carryability of ALICE packs that putting a good exterior frame on them won't cure.

Link Posted: 11/5/2007 2:57:05 PM EDT
[#23]
They are super durable and easy on the wallet. I used one for quite a while but found it kind of uncomfortable. Just bought a Maxpedition Vulture II and love it.
Link Posted: 11/5/2007 3:48:43 PM EDT
[#24]
bought the puspads from tactical tailor and they are awesome. My main reason for replacing them was no matter how I taped my quick release straps they always seemed to come undone! Keep'em for when I have lighter loads or on the medium pack. Love my pack(s), wouldn't necessarily mind a new pack, but then again wouldn't mind if someone else paid for it because I don't have too much play money right now.
Link Posted: 11/7/2007 9:32:03 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Way more feedback than I expected.  Intersting responses, mostly what I thought.  I can go for most of it, still think I might pick up a medium and use it as a throw around bag.  I still don't think I could see spending $200 on a Malice pack though.

Good feedback, I agree.  I have an older Medium Alice...I don't use it much, but it comes in handy when I need quick storage of stuff in the tuck.  I have an older Large Alice that I had "upgraded" from High Speed Gear with 1000 cordura reinforcement, pockets and the very good Ali pad/support system.  I've had it for some time and broke one frame during a jump, but the pack was fine.  I've since replaced the frame and with the HSGI upgrade it remains my main deployment ruck and is with me right now in Iraq.  I like the added pockets for organization...it's not the best pack if you plan to carry 80+ pounds for any distance, but for my uses it's perfect.  For bugging out and backpacking, I'll stick with my Kifaru

If you go with the Medium Alice, try to keep the weight manageable...I would exceed 35-40 pounds.  ALICE packs are often carried without the hip belt so you can where your deuce gear under it.  I too started out as Infantry (11C), and excessive loads with an Alice just plain sucks even if you get conditioned for it.  Keep it light and it will serve you a long time.  My son will eventually inherit my older Medium Alice.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 11/7/2007 9:34:44 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Good feedback, I agree.  I have an older Medium Alice...I don't use it much, but it comes in handy when I need quick storage of stuff in the tuck.  I have an older Large Alice that I had "upgraded" from High Speed Gear with 1000 cordura reinforcement, pockets and the very good Ali pad/support system.  I've had it for some time and broke one frame during a jump, but the pack was fine.  I've since replaced the frame and with the HSGI upgrade it remains my main deployment ruck and is with me right now in Iraq.  I like the added pockets for organization...it's not the best pack if you plan to carry 80+ pounds for any distance, but for my uses it's perfect.  For bugging out and backpacking, I'll stick with my Kifaru

If you go with the Medium Alice, try to keep the weight manageable...I would exceed 35-40 pounds.  ALICE packs are often carried without the hip belt so you can where your deuce gear under it.  I too started out as Infantry (11C), and excessive loads with an Alice just plain sucks even if you get conditioned for it.  Keep it light and it will serve you a long time.  My son will eventually inherit my older Medium Alice.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 11/9/2007 12:45:12 AM EDT
[#27]
I humped many a mile with one in the Marines and still own a medium Alice pack with a frame, it is about the best pack for being Monkey proof.

With that said, I was looking for something that was not as much torture on the body since they do tend to be uncomfortable and after much wisdom from the SF recommendations and many store trips I upgraded to a modern pack that is far more comfortable and holds up very well.

The only way I would put that Alice pack back on would be to use it as a last resort.
Link Posted: 11/9/2007 2:08:11 AM EDT
[#28]
I have a large mountain pack and love it.

I had some pouches sewed onto it for my last deployment to Iraq.

No complaints and it held up.

Max
Link Posted: 11/9/2007 2:27:43 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
i got mine in 93-94,, its been through hell, been ran over etc still going.
they key is to pack it correctly,, for it to work.
plus the med alice is perfect for 3 day deals, even for winter.
plus you cant break the damn things unless your a retarded monkey!

I watch recruits break these on a regular basis through normal use.  Over time just dropping them on the ground will pop the rivets on an ALICE frame.  The worst one to pop loose would be the top one... it fucks up necks horribly.

It's viet-nam-era technology that is preferred over the MOLLE-2 shit...  MOLLE-2 sucks that bad.

Get a Kifaru.
Link Posted: 11/9/2007 3:11:43 AM EDT
[#30]
I have to say, it is not my favorite load bearing equipment. The best that can be said for ALICE IMHO, is that is cheap and durable.

If you insist on using one, here's a tip:
Outdoor Products makes a polymer frame for most of their packs. Chopped down a bit, they will fit into the ALICE, and they are more adjustable because the frame basically consists of a bunch of slots to feed straps through.

The one-size-fits-all torso length on the old ALICE frame is retarded.
Link Posted: 11/9/2007 7:12:41 AM EDT
[#31]
I use my large Alice pack for hunting and perhaps it is just habit at this point.  All my gear for hunting fits in it and I have a specific place for everything.  I have often thought I would use the metal frame to carry out game (but usually don't want to return to camp to get it) so that may be another reason I always bring mine.  I have several other packs, but something about the Alice pack (and duffle bag) seems to meet my demands while not suffering too much from the abuse I give it (I have an aluminum frame backpack that is under constant repair).  The times I don't bring my Alice pack is when I am hiking long distances (as the aluminum frame is obviously lighter and can actually hold more).  I hope this gives some insight.
Link Posted: 11/10/2007 4:45:16 AM EDT
[#32]
SAme reason as everyone else:  Cheap (I got mine at a yard sale for $8.00) and durable.  Mine looks like it went through hell before I got it and it still works fairly well.

Link Posted: 11/10/2007 1:44:08 PM EDT
[#33]
My two personal rucks (as opposed to assault packs) are a very modified large ALICE and a very modified MOLLE 2. The MOLLE is redone on a Coleman flex-frame with lots of extra PALS webbing and the cinch straps reversed so they pull up, not down, so they're like an ALICE.

My ALICE I've had since 1991. It's currently got add-on pads on the shoulder straps. All the buckles are Fastex, it's got old US-made Blackhawk pouches sewn on the sides, the top flap pocket has been expanded and the Claymore pocket is added on the top. When I get another Coleman flex-frame it'll be cut to ALICE length (my original plan) and replace the aluminum one. Some of the frame rivets have been replaced with aviation bolts. Then at some point it'll get Tac Tailor shoulder straps and a MOLLE waist belt added.
Link Posted: 11/11/2007 7:03:58 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
bought the puspads from tactical tailor and they are awesome. My main reason for replacing them was no matter how I taped my quick release straps they always seemed to come undone!  

After having a couple episodes of my issued shoulder straps' quick release buckles failing and leaving me with a one strapped shoulder bag, (no kidney pad/waist strap) during a cold weather forced march, I broke down and used (civilian) telephone wire and wired them little mofo's closed.  End of problem, both of my packs still have the  original qr buckles wired shut.

Keep'em for when I have lighter loads or on the medium pack. Love my pack(s), wouldn't necessarily mind a new pack, but then again wouldn't mind if someone else paid for it because I don't have too much play money right now.
Link Posted: 11/11/2007 12:16:58 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 11/11/2007 7:05:15 PM EDT
[#36]
Very well said, Raf. It's a bargain piece of gear, but does need improvements to be ideal.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top