Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Show Me your BOV (Page 1 of 33)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 33
Posted: 9/27/2007 7:00:52 PM EDT
I think a BOV can be considered a main peice of gear in a SHTF situation. So lets see yours. Here is my Daily Driver/B.O.V.

Link Posted: 12/2/2014 5:47:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 8:43:20 PM EDT
[#2]

2010, V6 4x4
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 9:57:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Bumparoo
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 12:09:59 AM EDT
[#4]

Link Posted: 1/13/2015 9:42:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Bought a new toy over the weekend. Ignore the paint job, it used to be a fireboat for the Indian reservation. It will be powdercoated coyote and wrapped in MAX5 camo shortly.

Link Posted: 1/14/2015 2:46:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 6:19:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Check FB for tons of ideas  

https://www.facebook.com/groups/723978324364694/
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 10:01:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By M923GreenMachine:
Check FB for tons of ideas  

https://www.facebook.com/groups/723978324364694/
View Quote

I'll never understand the assumption that everyone uses facebook.  Nothing at the link but a log-in page.

Link Posted: 3/15/2015 12:15:45 PM EDT
[#9]
I picked up an aluminum lid for the M 416.

I have no plans of mounting a RTT on top.

Link Posted: 3/15/2015 1:42:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By omar:
I picked up an aluminum lid for the M 416.

I have no plans of mounting a RTT on top.

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=74323

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=74322
View Quote

I like that! Very cool!
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 8:17:13 PM EDT
[#11]
I have always loved the 70's Blazers. I have never seen one like this. Awesome!
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 11:42:55 AM EDT
[#12]
Added a new bumper + 10k winch to my truck this past week.

Link Posted: 4/19/2015 12:22:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 12:08:58 PM EDT
[#14]

Had not seen a rail buggy yet,
Sometimes not all that practical, but its a fun experiment.  Very fast.  easy maintenance,  no electronics of any kind,  Will go just about anywhere.  Sips fuel,  Sucks in the montana winter with no heat!  
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 6:01:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By tetonrvr:
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q18/bigskytrapper/IMG_0203_zpsef0zpnix.jpg

Sometimes not all that practical, but its a fun experiment.  Very fast.  easy maintenance,  no electronics of any kind,  Will go just about anywhere.  Sips fuel,  Sucks in the montana winter with no heat!  
View Quote

VW?
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 9:22:21 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By tetonrvr:
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q18/bigskytrapper/IMG_0203_zpsef0zpnix.jpg

View Quote

Nice.  Can't help but think of The Road Warrior.

"The Lord Humongous rules the Wasteland"
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 7:47:04 PM EDT
[#17]
yup ACVW.  pretty hard to get any simpler than that
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 11:46:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Davidrw5150] [#18]
Please delete
Link Posted: 5/10/2015 9:35:28 AM EDT
[#19]
Do you prefer a carbureted or fuel injected BOV?
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 3:52:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: boyce] [#20]
1992 Ford F-250, IDI 7.3 Diesel (mechanical fuel injection), ZF5 5 speed manual, 4.10s, leveling kit, 33x10.5 BFG KM2s.
Suzuki DR650 backup?

Link Posted: 5/13/2015 4:58:05 PM EDT
[#21]

Originally Posted By DOG556:

Do you prefer a carbureted or fuel injected BOV?
View Quote
It somewhat depends on what people are able to understand and work on.

I can toss a new carb on something or mess with the old one but I am not one who will ever be at the drag strip and changing jets and making tiny adjustments as the night cools off and getting the absolute most out of that carb.  I can make it run decent and what not, but Some people are awesome with carbs while I admit I can just get it running and daily driver ok and get it decent if messing with about anything on the carb.  I do admit to reading instructions on carbs as needed, books and net and what not.

These days most of my stuff is fuel infected because it was the best combination of everything I wanted, or it is what I found in my price range if I was being a tad picky.

Want a tj with a 6 speed manual transmission, gonna be infected with fuel injectors.

Found a beat up 95 ford with a straight 6, also fuel infected with injectors.

On these I can change out parts, have the stuff to check codes and watch things work and do decent at most problem fixing.

For drivability and ease of use I do like fuel infection but I am not turned off by carbs.  These days most of what I like is older stuff so swapping newer engines in or aftermarket options work as well.

Link Posted: 5/15/2015 9:09:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: nickds] [#22]

1984 K5 Blazer with 6.2L diesel and rebuilt 700R4 and transfer case.
65000 original miles.
It's a project for now, starting with an interior rip out and refurb.
ETA: it came with a Banks turbo kit I'm not sure I should install....
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 9:17:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: nickds] [#23]
Originally Posted By Boomer:

How did I miss this gem?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Boomer:
Originally Posted By Gamemaster:
I think that the topic should have been called Readers Rides.

There are very few vehicles out of all of these pages that I would categorize as being a Bug Out Vehicle.

Two scenarios -
1.  The SHTF and you are prepared to leave and you are getting out of Dodge before everyone else.

2.  The S already hit the fan and you are trying to get out of Dodge - but the main roads are all blocked with traffic - with the 1 million other people
that had the same idea as you.

The first scenario - you need the largest vehicle you can find that is enclosed that can haul YOU, your immediate family, all of your primary belongings,
Food, Clothing, Shelter, guns, radios, and everything you need to be self sufficient.
The Suburban with a extra gas tank, lift kit, big tires, heavy duty axles, a trailer to haul what the Suburban cannot is my first choice.
You have to believe that the electric is going to be out, the gas stations will not be pumping gas and the junkyards and parts stores are going to be closed.
You need a vehicle that you can steal parts from other vehicles to get to where you have to go - if you break down along the way.
This would exclude anything foreign, anything obsolete, anything unique.

The second - you need a Suburban or Avalanche type vehicle, something that you can both use to haul everything and something that you can sleep in if you have to.
You want to blend in with everyone else, you don't want to call attention to yourself - else someone else might rob you.
You want 4 wheel drive - since you will only be able to drive as far as the vehicle will go and then from there you will be on your own.

A large national Forrest with limited access would be my first choice, but you cannot walk in there like you just bought the place, else when you get there, you will find 100 other people with the same intent.
2nd choice would be the Bad Lands in Wyoming.  A person could really get lost in that place.
3rd would probably be Yellowstone National Park - since there would be some game that you would be able to eat to survive until things gets better or until who ever or what ever caused the event is gone, in power or has ran it's course.

Anyone planning on  fixed location - house along a main or back road, will be the first people to succumb to what ever threat is causing the event.
MY REASONING IS BECAUSE IF YOU CAN DRIVE THERE, SO CAN SOMEONE ELSE.
If they see smoke, they will figure fire, food and someone to steal from.
They didn't quit making guns when they made yours.
Eventually you have to go to sleep.
And, if it is a foreign power, they will just drop a bomb on your location and kill you instead of just trying to round you all up and make you conform.

With me, it won't be worth their bother to try to follow me deep into the Forrest and their resources will be better spent trying to round up all of the sheeple.
If it is a disease or pandemic - most people will already be dead before they ever make it out of Dodge!
You will bring it with you and won't even know it!

Our government has chemicals that 10 drops of one substance could pollute enough water in any of the great lakes to kill millions of people.
We have airborne diseases that could be released in the exhaust of a jet that would kill more people then the plague.

How did I miss this gem?

Because it was on page 62 and everyone else ignored it? Sort of surprised me too. I bet they have a Suburban.
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 9:27:07 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By nickds:
http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=76466

65000 original miles.
View Quote

Pretty sexy, definitely install the turbo. Keep the boost low, but it will definitely help. Might even increase your mileage some with the extra power. ColoradoK5 forum is your friend. If you ever feel like you want better brakes give me a shout. I upgraded my suburban 6 lug 10 bolt axles to modern brakes. Stops incredibly now.

Older pic of my burb and trailer, some more upgrades have been done........................

Link Posted: 5/15/2015 11:08:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: nickds] [#25]
Originally Posted By Cyclic:

Pretty sexy, definitely install the turbo. Keep the boost low, but it will definitely help. Might even increase your mileage some with the extra power. ColoradoK5 forum is your friend. If you ever feel like you want better brakes give me a shout. I upgraded my suburban 6 lug 10 bolt axles to modern brakes. Stops incredibly now.

View All Quotes

65000 original miles.

Thanks for the info. A few other people have mentioned that forum, probably time I check it out.

Oh, and it's not going to wear that color forever. That was only temporary.
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 12:08:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Doesn't carry much but I'll be damned if I let you catch me.

Link Posted: 5/15/2015 12:32:57 PM EDT
[#27]

65000 original miles.

View Quote

I'd install it. I had a 82 with a 6.2L. It was reliable as all hell, as I used to commute 120 miles a day round trip in it (back when diesel was cheap). My commute involves climbing a 4k+ elevation pass, and I used to get passed by big rigs going up it.
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 12:33:45 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 7:14:59 PM EDT
[#29]
All colors are temporary.    Also check out the PMA bumper kit pretty easy/cheap way for a front bumper/winch mount. I helped my buddy build one for his burb, came out really nice. Well made kit.

Thanks for the info. A few other people have mentioned that forum, probably time I check it out.

View All Quotes

65000 original miles.

Link Posted: 5/18/2015 3:21:12 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By SOMT:
Doesn't carry much but I'll be damned if I let you catch me.

http://i.imgur.com/WyyH0pCl.jpg
View Quote

the mighty DR, i wish the dealer hadnt sold mine out from under me... ohwell the nighthawks good for now, and i have my 89 k1500 i just picked up so its all good if not a bit rusty
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 6:23:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: WSS] [#31]
Nice rigs here!

WSS
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 6:41:20 AM EDT
[#32]

2005 F-150 on 35x12.50's
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 3:43:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: WSS] [#33]

Here is our Fam BOV

question: I am new here and the post shows as a link to the pics, are you guys seeing the pics in the post?

WSS
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 3:54:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Woosaa] [#34]
on your photo bucket page click on the IMG link to the right, it will say copied when clicked.

when posting to arfcom, click the insert button looks like a mountain and sun figure landscape. then ctrl v in the popup window.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 5:11:12 PM EDT
[#35]
pics of yellow jeep thing showing up.

Now and then I run across new images wanting approval so it might have been waiting on that as well.

Link Posted: 5/26/2015 5:53:21 PM EDT
[#36]
Thanks guys! Must have been waiting to be "approved". A new member, new pics, I don't blame them.
Link Posted: 6/5/2015 4:33:46 AM EDT
[#37]

I have the same combo.

Link Posted: 6/5/2015 1:29:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: D_J] [#38]

Nice, looks good. Is that a polished finish?  Mine haven't been clean since they were installed.

Link Posted: 6/6/2015 9:16:05 PM EDT
[#39]

Our government has chemicals that 10 drops of one substance could pollute enough water in any of the great lakes to kill millions of people.

View Quote

Cite?
Link Posted: 6/11/2015 11:15:23 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By The_Beer_Slayer:
buddy gave me a beat to hell packrat a couple of weeks ago. spent the last 2 weeks rebuilding it. finally got it installed today. just needs the paint to cure a week or so before i load it up.

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=75434
http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=75436
http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=75435

View Quote

I had one of those.  You know that thing weighs 380lbs unloaded?
Link Posted: 6/11/2015 11:16:02 PM EDT
[#41]

SOS Bumper FTMFW
Link Posted: 6/15/2015 11:47:16 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By SGTCap:

SOS Bumper FTMFW
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SGTCap:

SOS Bumper FTMFW

Link Posted: 6/23/2015 11:26:16 AM EDT
[#43]
well the ramcharger is gone, got rid of it a while back for way more than i payed, bought a motorcycle. then a few days ago the neighbor lost his licence and wanted on ove my old dirtbikes i was never gonna finish so i traded him for this

he couldnt get it running so after ripping out all of his hacked wireing and hooking it all back up factory it started right up. needs a bit of work and the floors need welded in but the frame rails are solid.
and the coolest part is also why the floors are shot...

its convertible. gotta redo a roof the plexiglass is broken.
gonna lift it 3 inches and throw some 31s on it weld new pans in and paint it od green should be fun
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 8:48:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: whollyshite] [#44]
Just bought a 04 4Runner yesterday.  It will be my BOV.

Link Posted: 7/26/2015 7:09:16 PM EDT
[#45]
1990 M998. Picked it up a couple months ago. Currently undergoing p-pumped 6bt Cummins, 47rh, and np241 swap. The pos stock 6.2L diesel was junk at 40,000mi.  Goal is ~350hp, 40in tires, light armor doors, and slantback top.

Link Posted: 7/27/2015 11:39:59 AM EDT
[#46]
I already live at my BOL here deep in the NC mtns. So if its that bad for me to leave, it'll likely be on this...

..or even something like this. The Appalachian trail is just above my place on a high ridge line via 2 miles of trails. I'm also a big backpacker with all the ultra light gear, so its not a reach.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 4:33:34 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 5:35:09 PM EDT
[#48]

There are very few vehicles out of all of these pages that I would categorize as being a Bug Out Vehicle.

Two scenarios -
1.  The SHTF and you are prepared to leave and you are getting out of Dodge before everyone else.

2.  The S already hit the fan and you are trying to get out of Dodge - but the main roads are all blocked with traffic - with the 1 million other people

The first scenario - you need the largest vehicle you can find that is enclosed that can haul YOU, your immediate family, all of your primary belongings,
Food, Clothing, Shelter, guns, radios, and everything you need to be self sufficient.
The Suburban with a extra gas tank, lift kit, big tires, heavy duty axles, a trailer to haul what the Suburban cannot is my first choice.
You have to believe that the electric is going to be out, the gas stations will not be pumping gas and the junkyards and parts stores are going to be closed.
You need a vehicle that you can steal parts from other vehicles to get to where you have to go - if you break down along the way.

The second - you need a Suburban or Avalanche type vehicle, something that you can both use to haul everything and something that you can sleep in if you have to.
You want to blend in with everyone else, you don't want to call attention to yourself - else someone else might rob you.
You want 4 wheel drive - since you will only be able to drive as far as the vehicle will go and then from there you will be on your own.

A large national Forrest with limited access would be my first choice, but you cannot walk in there like you just bought the place, else when you get there, you will find 100 other people with the same intent.
2nd choice would be the Bad Lands in Wyoming.  A person could really get lost in that place.
3rd would probably be Yellowstone National Park - since there would be some game that you would be able to eat to survive until things gets better or until who ever or what ever caused the event is gone, in power or has ran it's course.

Anyone planning on  fixed location - house along a main or back road, will be the first people to succumb to what ever threat is causing the event.
And, if it is a foreign power, they will just drop a bomb on your location and kill you instead of just trying to round you all up and make you conform.

With me, it won't be worth their bother to try to follow me deep into the Forrest and their resources will be better spent trying to round up all of the sheeple.
If it is a disease or pandemic - most people will already be dead before they ever make it out of Dodge!

We have airborne diseases that could be released in the exhaust of a jet that would kill more people then the plague.
View Quote

I agree with most if this.
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 5:42:03 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Thesandstonefiles:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Thesandstonefiles:

Two scenarios -

Typically, most folks think their plan is the best plan. Why wouldn't they? They made the decision based on their own research and formed an idea.
Unfortunately, it'll take an extreme event before we'll know for sure. It's best to have several options and pray that they are enough. I tend to learn from others instead of judging and finger pointing.
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 6:21:27 PM EDT
[#50]
Thread is bov thread.

Folks leave florida all the time ahead of hurricanes.  A big rv leaving ahead of the storm can cruise a few states north and the people can camp out at a park and watch the news and when things are clear wander back down and call their insurance folks.

While dealing with power outages, wrecked house, or whatever that big ol rv has enough comfort to make life as simple as it needs to be so the wife and kids won't be crying and if you are working on cleanup you know there is a hot shower available at the end of the day.

I figure for most stuff, I am staying.

We have had threads about train wrecks or wrecks on the road of tanker trucks, depending on chemicals you may be leaving right now.

I don't recomend an rv or camper for everyone.  But depending on your plans it might be an easy way to deal with things if you are in hurricane country and can leave a few days ahead each time.

Katrina was interesting because it was the first time I really watched and read about people riding out the storm.  I know others have done it, this was the first time I really paid attention to it.  Vehicle choice matters if you are looking at flooding, blocked roads, or the unknown.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 33
Show Me your BOV (Page 1 of 33)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top