Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Tacked BOB what it should be. (Page 1 of 24)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 24
Posted: 10/7/2006 4:38:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: protus]
Simple thing we all like to talk about ain't it? a BOB... yeah that  green,camo,tan,pink nylon and metal blob sitting stuffed to the gills in your room or trunk.

There's a Load of info on the web of what a BOB should be,what it shouldn't and what  the best one is.  BOB's are a personal  thing. What works  for me wont work for you.
But there are some important things a BOB should be.
It should fit you, it should hold  the amount of gear you've deemed necessary and it should be loaded to a weight you can physically handle.
On avg a 3 day BOB for a single person should weigh between 25- 30 LB's .
Now, i say on avg. because its 3 days. for 3 days you can go through a lot with out a lot.
But you still must be shelter'd,fed and hydrated.

This set up will handle what most of us as "survivalist" will ever have to go through in our lives, and may even double as your once a year backpacking trip set up.
Now on a full bore "crunch" set up your pack weights will go up of course.

From what I've seen  folks will chose a few styles of packs. basically  i narrow it down to 3 styles.
Surplus/military- Alice/molle or other large framed military packs.
Civy- internal/external framed packs
New Mil spec-  BFM,eagle and other  "3 day assault" frame less packs.

I feel that a framed pack of sorts is the only way to go once a extended stay BOB is packed or you want more than 3 days of gear. My reason is most framed packs are above 3500 cubes. This gives you Plenty of space to carry 3-5 days of gear or 3 days of gear and extras( deep winter clothing or extra food and ammo)
I say framed because once you exceed 25-30lbs i feel most frame less packs lack the support needed for those loads. The frame also allows you to tie off and add extra to the pack with out much effort or "felt" increase in weight due to their design.

We see a lot of "what should i pack" or  buy for my BOB.  For every BOB you need to make sure you have your basics covered before ANYTHING else. These are water,food and shelter. With out those 3 you will succumb  to the elements.
Water, you should always have a way to store and filter it.  Some of the more popular ways to store water are bladders or water bags like the Camelbak or Platypus.
These are light weight and easy to store in your pack. For example, most folks use a 2-3 liter , then have a Dromedary bags bag or Nalgenebottles for while in camp.
These are some of the best bets going now days for storage and use IMHO. Some opt for the old USGI canteen. this is a good stand by  but  their main fault is their 1 qt. capacity. These work better for line 2 or fighting loads IMHO. For a BOB a bladder  for on the go hydration is best. You must remember though you are sipping h20 not drinking large amounts, this is the only down fall of having a bladder only set up.  So it is best to combine them  or force yourself to drink constantly while on the go!
Water filters there are many on the market. Two good choices are the MSR filters and the Katadyn line of filters. all are light weight and are proven in the field by military and backpackers across the world. If you chose not to have a filter you need to have at least some water tablets.

Food, for  3 days it isn't much but  you have to make sure  that you have enough packed to ensure your body gets what it needs! There are many pack meals out there from the MRE to freeze dried. From a BOB aspect  you need to have both"hot" and cold meals. When using your BOB you may not have a fire or the chance or ability to cook. Having some fast eats is important.
MRE's are  the best for on the good foods BUT they are heavy,even when broken down. But they are a great source of what you need to stay on top of things.
Freeze drieds or dried foods like Mountain house  are great for in camp or when you need a hot meal. Their main advantage is that they weigh very little, their down fall is the price.
Dried foods like rice,noodles and soup mixes are also a good choice. these are light, and very cheap.
I like to pack lipton rice/pasta sides with  some foil packed chicken added to it. Ive had very good luck with these infield,cook times are fast,price is low and there is enough food to even feed 2 if need be. Normal packages weigh in around 5-7oz's!
I pack one of these each day for  the dinner meals  and No cook meals for lunch, like MRE entrees or the foil packed chicken with some spices, trail mix or a energy bar.
Bagged tuna can also be used in simple meals  or by itself along with salmon or dried beef. Of  course  i can go on and on about different foods but these are pretty basic  meals and ones used by the majority of folks with BOB's since they are shelf stable for long periods.

Shelter. This is a VERY AO dependant choice along with personal comfort levels.
The most common shelter is the tent. For a BOB id stay with something under 5lbs like the Eureka spitfire or the Exponet Inyo 2 A tent like that will normally run you 50-150$ for a name brand or more if you really want fancy.  Your shelter is the 2nd  bulkiest and Heaviest item in your BOB, side from ammo and water.
Tarp/poncho, this is a very common item in BOB's and everyone has them. A small ultra light tarp or poncho will shelter a person easily even in harsh weather,if the rest of their shelter system is in order. The tarp can also add extra protection,concealmet to your tent. as a raincover,ground cloth in winter or a cooking/dinning fly/wind break. some of the smaller tents its a warm welcome to stretch your legs under a fly to cook instead of leaning out and trying to do it all from inside.
Clothing. yes this is shelter. with out clothing your exposed  to the elements. The clothing you pack in your BOB is also very AO dependant. but a good basic set up is this.
Spare socks. i suggest  that a wool blend like Smartwool or for hotter temps a Lycra spandex blend. cotton socks will work in hotter climates but in colder climates you'll want the moisture wicking of the others.
base layer. This is what you'll wear in cold temps or at night. The most common are Poly pro's,Polar max,  Under armour and its knock offs. These all insulate you and keep moisture away from your body. wet is dead IMHO.
Outer shell.  this is everything from a basic nylon windbreaker to a goretex parka. this keeps the wind off you and the water. The newer fabrics these days also breath(goretex)  This also helps keep down  your pack weight. a light weight goretex shell with a heavy poly pro fleece liner will serve most well through the majority of temps through out the year.
Also  this includes  extra clothing BDu's, zip off pant/short combos, gloves, watch caps, balaclava etc.
Now you see why i said this will be one of the most bulkiest items in your BOB.

that's the basics of a BOB.  there  is a ton of stuff you can pack in your BOB but with out  those 3 things your gonna be hurting! This isn't an end all list , as gear is personal choices, and i left out a lot. This way others can chime in on what  gear has worked for them and Hopefully help out some of the newcomers that are packing their 1st BOB.

ETA: more.

So now we have Food,shelter,water in  your BOB.
These items are your 3 bulkiest items  and sometimes the heaviest!
They are the 3 items you NEED to stay alive. Now what else would you want to carry in a BOB.
For one since you'll be using you BOB in a evac/stressful event you want a PLAN.
This doesn't go in your BOB(it could ) but its what will lead you to USE your BOB!
You ll want some tools,communications,nav gear and comfort items along  with extras.

Tools- Tools are a wide variety of  objects from a spare set of multi pliers to a decked out Mp5.
Some basic tools that a BOB should have or incorporate are-
multitool- a do all tool for small jobs and day to day work.

Knife- to stay basic you ll want a design that will do 99% of day to day work. Ive found that a good 4 -5 inch folder or fixed blade will do! My set up incorps  the BK-7 along with my multitool and Gerber folder. i have large duty blades and the smaller folder/multiool for small work(also that's why there's a hacksaw blade in the sheath pouch )

Shovel- heavy item IMHO, and a waste of space. if you must a plastic garden trowel will work. most of  what you need tis for is digging fire pits or to bury waste.

Axe/Saw- heavy item,,  i think a axe is great but the large size is a big No no. the saw is the best bet IMHO. due to its size(Fiskars folding saw) and noise. an axe/hatchet you can hear for along ways off thump,,,thump,,,,thump.....

weapon- This is a tool that will vary form person to person.. for a  NON tactical BO event  the KISS rule applies. the  most robust and simple to use weapon is the best choice. To me that would be a good bolt gun. I like the FR8 in 762x51nato.
again for a NON tactical use but with enough Umphh to take down what i need  to!
sidearm- also a weapons tool.  for our BOB... it should be a 22lr IMHO.  your self defense sidearm should be part of your Line two or fighting gear NOT your BOB!
The 22lr sidearm is perfect for small game getting in a small compact package!

Communications.
You've BO'd now what. When is it safe to go back, can you ever go back?

You need  some way to communicate, be it am/fm/sw or HAM radio.
I don't really carry a lot of comms in my BOB because of their weight's and price right now.
I have a small am/fm/tv1-2 /noaa radio that is the size of a pack of cigs. Its my only Info gathering comms right now. besides my  FRS/GRMS for  P2P comm's.
Like weapons some  ppl are  heavy in this area.

Navigation-
You need to know where your going right? you do know don't you?
Nav gear is pretty basic.
a good compass that you KNOW how to  use.
a good set of AO maps
a GPS- if you must
a set of batts for the GPS
know how to use the 1st two you wont need the GPS IMHO!

Comfort items-
These items are the misc. fluff and stuff we all carry. That ect bic lighter or pocket bible!
these are personal items that will make you BO a Lil cushy or a Lil more relaxing. a good  wipe down with a set of wipes after 5 day son the trail without a bath may be a god send to some. while that nice soft wash cloth is what does it for you..or just the chance to read a few  lines out of your bible.
IMHO there is no limit or list of what comfort items should be.. but they should NEVER out weigh or be taken over what you  NEED,,,,
Link Posted: 12/1/2011 11:59:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By sirensong:

Originally Posted By all4bao:

I don't know what else is needed for the BOB unless you can recommend me something.  Otherwise, I think it's complete.

food might be a good idea.  

a map is sometimes helpful.

gloves and spare socks.

set of mini binocs and an esbit stove would be good investments.

that E-tool is probably unnecessary weight, unless you have a very specific need for it.  delete that, and all of the above could be added for no weight penalty.

Hehe yea food might be a good idea :)

Thanks for the glove and spare socks, I forgot to add it.

As far as the e-tool go, I'm also going to use this pack for camping and I think and e-tool is invaluable.  You can use it to build berm or build a shelter, cut firewood, & dig.  Am I wrong?
Link Posted: 12/2/2011 12:45:07 AM EDT
[#2]

I don't know what else is needed for the BOB unless you can recommend me something.  Otherwise, I think it's complete.

food might be a good idea.  

a map is sometimes helpful.

gloves and spare socks.

set of mini binocs and an esbit stove would be good investments.

that E-tool is probably unnecessary weight, unless you have a very specific need for it.  delete that, and all of the above could be added for no weight penalty.

Hehe yea food might be a good idea :)

Thanks for the glove and spare socks, I forgot to add it.

As far as the e-tool go, I'm also going to use this pack for camping and I think and e-tool is invaluable.  You can use it to build berm or build a shelter, cut firewood, & dig.  Am I wrong?

If you use an e-tool or go woth one go with a mil surplus or one with a straight handle. The collapse break super easy no kidding
Link Posted: 12/2/2011 2:57:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Oh I just remember. Since I don't have/want the black sleeping bag (the one that's rated -20F) in the Modular Sleeping System because it's big and bulky, can I buy another patrol sleeping bag (the green one) and attach it to my sleeping system?

So now I have 2 green sleeping bag attach to each other and the gore-tex bivy cover over them.  I don't know how warm it'll be though :(
Link Posted: 12/2/2011 10:18:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Oh I just remember. Since I don't have/want the black sleeping bag (the one that's rated -20F) in the Modular Sleeping System because it's big and bulky, can I buy another patrol sleeping bag (the green one) and attach it to my sleeping system?

So now I have 2 green sleeping bag attach to each other and the gore-tex bivy cover over them.  I don't know how warm it'll be though :(

If your not allergic to wool you could try lining you bag with a wool or atleast keep a wool on top. the blanket  i have i wrap around my bag for carring and isnt to bulky
Link Posted: 12/3/2011 3:06:46 AM EDT
[#5]

i think an etool can be very helpful for camping, as long as the weight of your gear is in line.  i'm less convinced that it's appropriate for a BOB (and this is coming from a guy who originally bought one for his BOB ).  nowadays, i think the entire point of a BOB is mobility, so i'm not inclined to add weight for something that doesn't directly help me with that.  of course opinions vary, and there's no "right" answer.  after all, i have some stuff in my rig that other people scoff at as unnecessary weight (rod and reel, small repair kit, etc.).  

i think the reason it sticks out is that the rest of your setup is so lean, which i admire.  i have to constantly tell myself not to keep adding stuff..."no, you don't need that item badly enough to warrant the extra weight."

so do what you think is best, but give it some thought.

Link Posted: 12/3/2011 1:06:30 PM EDT
[#6]

i think an etool can be very helpful for camping, as long as the weight of your gear is in line.  i'm less convinced that it's appropriate for a BOB (and this is coming from a guy who originally bought one for his BOB ).  nowadays, i think the entire point of a BOB is mobility, so i'm not inclined to add weight for something that doesn't directly help me with that.  of course opinions vary, and there's no "right" answer.  after all, i have some stuff in my rig that other people scoff at as unnecessary weight (rod and reel, small repair kit, etc.).  

i think the reason it sticks out is that the rest of your setup is so lean, which i admire.  i have to constantly tell myself not to keep adding stuff..."no, you don't need that item badly enough to warrant the extra weight."

This is why i suggest the 3 uses rule it helps out quite a bit but it only works if they are imidate uses
Link Posted: 12/10/2011 3:18:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: all4bao] [#7]
After getting most of the stuff for my bail out bag, I found that the bag:
1.  Is not big enough, the main compartment is only 1700 cu feet.  Putting a sleeping system in there and it's full.  No room left for clothing, food, or first aid kit.

2.  Not designed to carry the amount of weight i'm putting in it (~40-50lbs).  Ammo & water weighs a ton, frameless pack FTL.

So now I'm back to shopping for a new bail out bag that's:
1.  Blend in an urban setting
2.  Have a frame to support heavy load (loved the alice pack but it doesn't blend in an urban setting) 3500cu ft or more.
3.  DURABLE (there goes 99% of civilian packs out there)
4.  Cheap!  That mean eberlestock isn't an option lol.

I should just bite the bullet and get an alice pack...?  It does everything I wanted other than blending in :(
Link Posted: 12/10/2011 10:00:39 AM EDT
[#8]
1.  Is not big enough, the main compartment is only 1700 cu feet.  Putting a sleeping system in there and it's full.  No room left for clothing, food, or first aid kit.

2.  Not designed to carry the amount of weight i'm putting in it (~40-50lbs).  Ammo & water weighs a ton, frameless pack FTL.

2.  Have a frame to support heavy load (loved the alice pack but it doesn't blend in an urban setting) 3500cu ft or more.

I should just bite the bullet and get an alice pack...?  It does everything I wanted other than blending in :(

I know they are expensive but did you look at any of the BLACKHAWK ones i think it would help with urban setting due to getting it in black or green. many dont have MOLLE on the pack it self
Link Posted: 12/11/2011 8:43:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/12/2011 7:55:16 PM EDT
[#10]

Why not one of the SOG E-Tools. About half the size of the standard mil unit, so it also weighs less. It will fit in a pocket or pouch about the size of a standard Nalgene bottle. Might not be the strongest unit, but for light digging or even hacking some small branches it would suffice.
Link Posted: 12/13/2011 5:08:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 23pistol23] [#11]

I just bought a framed pack for my gf's little brother at walmart for $25. Its cheap enough and looks well built for the price. It has Mossy Oak Break up camo on some patches. Could be civi I guess. Not sure what brand but its not the Outdoors line that they have. I know those suck.

Link Posted: 12/28/2011 1:36:45 PM EDT
[#12]
There is a lot of great info here for your bob/ghb, but one thing, maybe I have missed it but if I did it won't hurt mentioning it again. Everyone should have a good set of toenail/fingernail clippers. Have you ever gone on a hike or walk and realized you had an ingrown toenail. Well if you did and did not have a clipper of some sort you are going to be hiking with some considerable pain and maybe preventing you from walking especially if it gets infected. So add a pair of clippers to the mix and protect your feet your life may depend on it. You will not be sorry.  JMHO
Link Posted: 12/29/2011 9:46:50 PM EDT
[#13]

i'll call BS on that one.

and with #2 as well.

go read up on what long distance hikers use/abuse.....most all rucks all use the same hardware mil rucks use...just not the same colors....

Link Posted: 12/30/2011 6:09:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: clownbear69] [#14]
Well this is gonna be one of my more random questions. Does anyone carry peanut butter as part of there food in the BOB/GHB i do know it does dehydrate you a bit faster do to the salt and oil contents? Reason why i asked is i read on the back of the jar today and said 2 tbsp = 200 calories which in itself doesnt sound like awhole lot but added with cracker etc make a decent food. Just whats yall input

three uses: Food, Fire Starter, empty jar makes easy storage

Edit: bait for dead fall traps
Link Posted: 12/31/2011 9:28:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DSRV] [#15]

Originally Posted By clownbear69:

Well this is gonna be one of my more random questions. Does anyone carry peanut butter as part of there food in the BOB/GHB <snip>

Found these for ~$2.50. Cheaper then the MRE packets.

I keep some in the BOB, GHB and car servival kit.

Link Posted: 1/1/2012 11:48:21 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By DSRV:

Well this is gonna be one of my more random questions. Does anyone carry peanut butter as part of there food in the BOB/GHB <snip>

http://img4.allyou.com/i/2011/06/jif-peanut-butter-m.jpg?300:300

whats the caliore intake on that?
Link Posted: 1/1/2012 3:39:13 PM EDT
[#17]

come on now, bud––our whole goal is to be self-reliant, and that mindset should manifest even in the small things like research.  "jif to go nutrition info" came up as a google autocomplete, and per the very first link, the 2.25oz cup is 390cal.

not trying to be obnoxious or call you out––just bringing it to your attention.  the single most vital component for survival is mindset, and we can practice that every day.

Link Posted: 1/2/2012 12:34:45 AM EDT
[#18]

come on now, bud––our whole goal is to be self-reliant, and that mindset should manifest even in the small things like research.  "jif to go nutrition info" came up as a google autocomplete, and per the very first link, the 2.25oz cup is 390cal.

not trying to be obnoxious or call you out––just bringing it to your attention.  the single most vital component for survival is mindset, and we can practice that every day.

Yes you are and no harm no foul its kinda a lot easier since just to ask than to look it up specially with the kiddos around but never mind bout all that  actually seems good i might have to pack some myself just never seen them at my stores i shop at
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 8:31:01 AM EDT
[#19]

Yes you are and no harm no foul its kinda a lot easier since just to ask than to look it up specially with the kiddos around but never mind bout all that  actually seems good i might have to pack some myself just never seen them at my stores i shop at

p- butters been used by many hikers for its calories and other goodies. So has olive oil ..as in drinking it or such

One thing to remember is that if your using your BOB your gonna be going through supplies and putting them through their paces. Even food.

It would be easy to say that everyone started out going straight to mnt. house or MRE's.  But that isnt the case.

I pack the single packets of tuna/salmon are the full of cals? nope. But lots of protien. I pack cliff bars for a reason as well. Ive also packed in dried fruits, dried meats, trailmix, gorp, grits,oats and even a 1/2 frozen steak once or twice ( hey it's a good meal on that 1st night).

Ive ran into others that have packed crackers,chesse it's , you name it just for the extra cals.

Ive also packed the small P-butters shown. for the same reason. Cal intake.

when i did a 30+ mile trip a year ago..i packed like i do for a normal 2 day hike..my cal intake was just at the 1k mark. and that wasnt enough, when hiking 10-15 miles a day .

Link Posted: 1/2/2012 12:47:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By protus:

p- butters been used by many hikers for its calories and other goodies. So has olive oil ..as in drinking it or such

One thing to remember is that if your using your BOB your gonna be going through supplies and putting them through their paces. Even food.
It would be easy to say that everyone started out going straight to mnt. house or MRE's.  But that isnt the case.
I pack the single packets of tuna/salmon are the full of cals? nope. But lots of protien. I pack cliff bars for a reason as well. Ive also packed in dried fruits, dried meats, trailmix, gorp, grits,oats and even a 1/2 frozen steak once or twice ( hey it's a good meal on that 1st night).

Ive ran into others that have packed crackers,chesse it's , you name it just for the extra cals.
Ive also packed the small P-butters shown. for the same reason. Cal intake.

when i did a 30+ mile trip a year ago..i packed like i do for a normal 2 day hike..my cal intake was just at the 1k mark. and that wasnt enough, when hiking 10-15 miles a day .

Drinking Olive Oil wow. But i will have to say protus thanks for coming back to your one of your threads and giving your input it has been awhile. I will have to say that packing MRE's for the trip is convient but boy they take a toll on my body in the least when you eat them cold. It really does help when theres one more person carring MRE's to do meals swaps etc.

As for the 30+ mile hikes they suck when you burn more than what you intake.

But for all the BoB/GHB stuff is why i use the rule of three if i didnt my pack would weigh double than what it is now. Food is the only thing i am trying to condense. This why I will ask about Baby ceral as a food source. Takes very little liquid and tastes ok. A regular box weighs maybe a pound but offers a lot of potential. Seems interesting enough. Only reason currently i have them is for my 16 monther if i need some quick food for him
Link Posted: 2/1/2012 10:01:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Sanchez] [#21]
I'm really interested in the ILBE II pack but do you guys think a BOB should be more discrete in terms of camo/color? I'm a newb to the whole buggin out concept and I'm just now starting to research and build my gear.

http://i692.photobucket.com/albums/vv282/homelessrdp/ILBE.jpg
Link Posted: 2/2/2012 4:37:33 AM EDT
[#22]

Food is the only thing i am trying to condense. This why I will ask about Baby ceral as a food source. Takes very little liquid and tastes ok. A regular box weighs maybe a pound but offers a lot of potential. Seems interesting enough. Only reason currently i have them is for my 16 monther if i need some quick food for him

interesting idea––please post your experience with it when you can.  

Link Posted: 2/2/2012 11:03:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: clownbear69] [#23]

Food is the only thing i am trying to condense. This why I will ask about Baby ceral as a food source. Takes very little liquid and tastes ok. A regular box weighs maybe a pound but offers a lot of potential. Seems interesting enough. Only reason currently i have them is for my 16 monther if i need some quick food for him

interesting idea––please post your experience with it when you can.  

This is my expereince as of right now (IN home use only) You can use equal parts ie 1/4 cup ceral 1/4 cup liquid (milk and water is the only things ive tried) or you can even go ie 1/4 cup ceral 1/2 liquid. The less liquid has the consistance of very thick paste (as expected) 1/4 cup = 60 calories

There is three different cerals we currently have: rice, oatmeal and mixed grain. Since my son is not eatting his ceral anymore (much better solid foods now) I will give some expereiments see what works. I will start 1 cup of ceral and 1 cup of liquid.

As a side note to this all this ceral doesnt even need to be heated tastes better if it is. This is also the Gerber brand. In the next couple of days i will test at home and post my results
Link Posted: 2/2/2012 11:07:47 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Sanchez:
I'm really interested in the ILBE II pack but do you guys think a BOB should be more discrete in terms of camo/color? I'm a newb to the whole buggin out concept and I'm just now starting to research and build my gear.

I guess the best question to ask is do you live in a more urban , suburban or rural area. When living in the city i have used  non camo stuff. IE stuck to my browns or blacks. When i was living in the back woods in WI i had primarly camo easier to hide when nothing is out of the ordinary. I hope my limited advice helps
Link Posted: 2/6/2012 11:54:35 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Sanchez:

You could always add a pack cover in any color / config to help change its look..ie tan, blue, white, logoed etc etc. I wouldn't let the camo desparage you from getting this pack. For most users the ILBE is a good to go pack.
Link Posted: 2/12/2012 12:17:46 PM EDT
[#26]
Are any of you carrying any type of a marker strobe in your BoBs? At a gun show recently, there were quite a few of the ACR MS2000 strobes floating around, and they all seemed to go pretty quickly. Is it something you carry? If so, what for?
Link Posted: 2/13/2012 11:38:42 AM EDT
[#27]
This is an excellent post, I just got a BOB and had several questions concerning what I should include in the basic load and this answered a lot of them for me, thank you for your effort and help.
Link Posted: 2/13/2012 5:46:54 PM EDT
[#28]

Originally Posted By 50BMGslinger:

Are any of you carrying any type of a marker strobe in your BoBs? At a gun show recently, there were quite a few of the ACR MS2000 strobes floating around, and they all seemed to go pretty quickly. Is it something you carry? If so, what for?

i carry strobing led light sticks. ( red/green)

and have a milsurp storbe( runs off AA's lil OD sqaure thing) i run as well.

Link Posted: 2/25/2012 12:15:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Half-Bear] [#29]
First time making a whatever bag. It's getting tough as the pack is more typically suited as a day pack.
Link Posted: 2/25/2012 4:04:10 PM EDT
[#30]
I just started building my BOB. I have always had day packs for hunting and what not. but so far this is what I have minus the pack ;

I want to get the Osprey Aether 60 Daypack
3 Flashlights- (2 Surefire and one 400 Lumen torch light)
two Lighters, Matches, and Fire Starter
Camel Pack (Unsure the amount it holds, prob 1.5L)
M4 w/ 4 Mags (M4 has an ACOG and Surefire M951 Tac light)
Colt 1911 w/ 4 mags
2- tarps
3 Knives/Multi-tool (Gerber Multi, 1 skinner, 1 folder, and 1 fixed blade with a bone saw)
2 Canteens (I think I might be low on water though)
GPS, Compass, and maps (primarily maps of where i go hunting)
Gortex USMC jacket
Merrell Rock Shoes
Rock climbing Harness
rope
Plastic Garbage bags
Survival Medical kit (this is kinda heavy)

This is all I have so far. I need to get food still. I know wanna add my Warbelt when I finish it to my BOB, my only concern about the warbelt is the pack not fitting right ontop of it. Also weight is a concern of course. I see people talking about 44-60lbs. I must be pushing prob 70-85lbs (rough estimate). M4 and the ammo is the most heavy portion. The accessories really add on the rifle.

What is a good way to "water proof" a pack? For example, if I needed to swim across a lake for whatever reason, is there a way to water proof and make the pack a floating device I can hang onto? There is no way I can swim across a lake with all that gear and not drawn. Just a thought.

Ill def keep coming back to this thread as I build onto my rig, everyone has been putting in good advice!
Link Posted: 2/25/2012 5:01:40 PM EDT
[#31]
trash bag, float it across. or use a surplus or new dry bag if you dont mind the extra weight.
Link Posted: 2/28/2012 5:12:13 AM EDT
[#32]
trash bag, float it across. or use a surplus or new dry bag if you dont mind the extra weight.

So you just wrap everything inside in the bag or the whole pack? I figured if you did the entire pack it could sink it. How much does a dry bag weigh?
Link Posted: 2/28/2012 1:41:18 PM EDT
[#33]

Originally Posted By JeredMD:

So you just wrap everything inside in the bag or the whole pack? I figured if you did the entire pack it could sink it. How much does a dry bag weigh?

wrap the whole thing (not tightly) with a commercial or outdoor trash bag and knot it off.  there's a ton of air space in even a full pack, and a 40gal trash bag full of air is really, really buoyant.

Link Posted: 3/3/2012 7:24:49 PM EDT
[#34]
Just built my BOB. As it stands now it is around 55+ lbs. Is this typical for a 3 day BOB? I built this for myself and two other family members. The pack is the Eberlestock G4 "Operator" Pack. It is 9 lbs and 5000 c.i.(83 Liter) and has a dedicated pouch to conceal my M4 rifle.

I'm not a very big guy (5' 7" & 150 lbs.), but this load seems HEAVY to me. 55+ lbs too much? Or do I need to just get used to it? I don't have any prior heavy backpacking experience, so maybe it's just something I'm not used to. Also, are BOBs intended to be just a bag you can grab real quick and throw in your car OR something you are going to be hiking 20+ miles in?

Contents:

-MSR Water Filtration Kit
-small lightweight crank am/fm/weather radio (gotta stay informed!)
-rechargeable batteries
-Goal Zero Guide10 Plus Solar Charger (1.2 lbs)
-3 days of clothing for 3 people (vacuum packed to conserve space)
-Medical Kit with everything you can imagine
-Gerber LMF II ASEK Survival Knife
-SOG Folder knife
-SOG very lightweight tomahawk
-Gerber small machete
-Eureka! Backcountry 1 Tent -4.5 lbs
-lighters, matches, headlamp, wetwipes, water container, toothbrush, lightsticks, ponchos
- 50 ft of 550 paracord
-Mainstay 3600 Emergency Food Rations (2 lbs each- 6 lbs total)
-Datrex Emergency Water Packets (12 packets per day per person)

The tents, clothes, and food/water are my heaviest items. I'm thinking of ditching the water packets since I do have the ability to filter and sanitize water as I find it. Good idea? Anyone carrying water in their BOB? Having water packed in your BOB along with everything else just doesn't seem logical to me b/c it weighs SO much and you just can't carry enough water to make much of a difference anyways. I don't live in a desert and water is everywhere around me. Thoughts?

The food rations are like bricks in my pack, but they are high calorie with tons of vitamins and are ready to eat. The pack itself starts out as 9 lbs empty, but it is 5000 c.i and that is needed to hold all the gear for a family.

One idea I have is to buy a SECOND BOB and have my wife carry some items so we can split some of the weight? Good idea or do I just need to "man up"?

Link Posted: 3/3/2012 8:05:38 PM EDT
[#35]

Originally Posted By Aaron556:

One idea I have is to buy a SECOND BOB and have my wife carry some items so we can split some of the weight? Good idea or do I just need to "man up"?

Great idea, but don't bet on it. She may be injured or in shock.

Get one of these:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/636664/maxpedition-rollypoly-extreme-collapsible-backpack-nylon?cm_mmc=Froogle-_-Shooting+-+Range+Supplies+%26+Equipment-_-PriceCompListing-_-636664

Link Posted: 3/3/2012 8:17:26 PM EDT
[#36]

Originally Posted By bcauz3y:

Great idea, but don't bet on it. She may be injured or in shock.

yeah, my brother and i looked at team carry, but we kept running into the question of what happens if one person gets hurt.  the solution we arrived at was that each person would carry his own essential gear, and anything that might be counted as extra or a convenience would be split up.  so, for example, i carry the jetboil, and he carries the big FAK.  they're things that help a lot, but that we could get by without.

but everybody in the group needs to be responsible for carrying their own essentials.  there might be a temptation to go all chivalrous when dealing with women, but IMO that's a bad idea.  after all, what happens if you get injured or die, and she needs to move on without you?  is she going to have to hunt around your pack for essential items?  so realistic weight distribution is good, but all eggs in one basket is bad.

Link Posted: 3/3/2012 8:50:24 PM EDT
[#37]

I'm not a very big guy (5' 7" & 150 lbs.), but this load seems HEAVY to me. 55+ lbs too much? Or do I need to just get used to it? I don't have any prior heavy backpacking experience, so maybe it's just something I'm not used to. Also, are BOBs intended to be just a bag you can grab real quick and throw in your car OR something you are going to be hiking 20+ miles in?

Contents:

snip

this is just how i see things, and others might disagree.  but FWIW, i think 55# is going to be obnoxiously heavy.  i think you could cut 10-15# without trying too hard.

-you have 4 cutting tools.  you need 2: a folder in your pocket and something heavier to chop with.  having both the machete and the hatchet seems to be unnecessary.  

-you have a lot of battery power, but it doesn't look like you have much to use your batts in except the flashlight.  as i see it, your BOB is (or should be) a tool to get you somewhere, not a 'live in the outdoors' kit.  since you wisely have a crank radio, you need batts for lights and GPS (and comms if you have them).  might be more efficient to send the solar stuff to your BOL and just keep packs of disposables in your bag.  i don't know––you're going to want to calculate the weight and see.

-clothes.  personally, i don't see any need for 3 days' worth of clothes in a BOB.  you'll be wearing clothes.  IMO all you need is spare socks and inclement weather stuff.  if you're worried about having to run out the door in your business casual, do what i do––have a set of outdoors stuff sitting on top of your BOB at home.

-basics (food/water).  this is an interesting one.  i also carry emergency rations, and i know that they're extremely heavy.  they're also designed to require less water to process (since their original purpose was survival of life at sea).  this, plus your water packets, would be a very good idea if you were in an arid environment.  but if you're in a water-rich environment, you might not be getting the real benefit of this stuff.  IOW, your needs might be better served by including something like freeze-dried, which requires water to prepare, but saves a ton of weight.  i'm not saying just go with MH, but you may wish to include it if you're in an area with a fair amount of surface water.  if this is the case, then i think you're on the right track––carry only one day's worth of water, and set up your routing so that you can sanitize as you move along.
i will reiterate what i said in the previous post––everyone in the group should carry their own essential gear, and if they can't, then they need to get into good enough shape that they can (barring those with a severe disability).  if everyone gets separated, then everyone needs to have the tools to survive on their own until you can link back up again.  you also won't be doing them any favors if you go down with a stress fracture from carrying everything.

your wife can carry 10#.  most womens' 'big purses' weigh around that.  and if she can't, you're in big trouble already.  if you went this route, along with trimming some of the unnecessary items, i think you could get down to 30-35# even if you decided to keep the tent.  but this is just my opinion, and YMMV.

Link Posted: 3/3/2012 10:16:29 PM EDT
[#38]
as i see it, your BOB is (or should be) a tool to get you somewhere, not a 'live in the outdoors' kit.

Agreed. I think I built this BOB to "survive in the woods" rather than getting the hell out of Dodge. You've made some really good points. I will dump some of the heavy food blocks and go with freeze-dried. If I do go with freeze-dried, would I need a way to boil water? Pot and propane fuel? No problem finding water here in Ohio. I will also ditch some of the zombie killing tools and stick to the basics.

My wife is fully capable of carrying a pack. Her purse is HUGE! I would still like to keep the tent in my kit to cover the basic food, water & shelter.

Link Posted: 3/3/2012 10:34:42 PM EDT
[#39]
I know this Item isnt out yet (backorder) but would anyone consider getting this item to put in their BoB http://www.gearupcenter.com/crovel-extreme-black-accessories-sold-separately/

As a side note monday will be my day i test my Baby food Idea for another source of food. I finally got a food scale so that helps as well

Happy Surviving
Link Posted: 3/3/2012 11:27:29 PM EDT
[#40]

If I do go with freeze-dried, would I need a way to boil water?

yes you will, but that's something that you should have anyway.  even if it's just a mess kit pot or a canteen cup, a cooking vessel is pretty much indispensable IMO.  in addition to cooking (and remember, stewing extracts the most nutrients from any food), it also gives you another water purification resource (hydration and first aid).  as for firemaking, there are mixed opinions.  some people don't like the weight of a stove, and plan to make ground fires.  i really, really like my jetboil, but it requires LPG cans and is therefore time-limited as a resource.  it's way down on my needs list, but i do want to go to a dual fuel stove eventually––i think this is the best way to go.

for food, i think it's best to have a mix of prepared food (like mainstay or MRE entrees), freeze-dried if possible, and snacks (so that you don't raid your 'meals').  since you're in a pretty permissive water environment, you can go heavier on the freeze-dried than we can in the southwest, and save a lot of weight in the process.

Link Posted: 3/4/2012 12:36:18 AM EDT
[#41]

I know this Item isnt out yet (backorder) but would anyone consider getting this item to put in their BoB http://www.gearupcenter.com/crovel-extreme-black-accessories-sold-separately/

not for that weight and price.  to my eye, the only unique capabilities of that tool is digging and hammering/nail pulling, and i don't plan on doing a lot of either during the BO phase.  i mean, i don't really need another weapon––i already have a lot of weight tied up in my rifle and pistol.  if i really need a club, it's because my gun is broken...in which case i have a club already.  why do i need a hammer?  granted, it might be nice to have, but what do i foresee myself doing during the BO phase that will call for it?  not much.  same with the shovel.  furthermore, if i really want a shovel, then i can pick up a solid-handle surplus one for $15.  all that other stuff included with the thing is $30 worth of miscellany that i already have in my BOB.  so why spend all that extra money?

what it really comes down to for me is a simple question:  what am i willing to leave behind in order to free up 5# so that i can carry that thing?  my answer:  nothing.

Link Posted: 3/4/2012 8:43:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Aaron556] [#42]

If I do go with freeze-dried, would I need a way to boil water?

yes you will, but that's something that you should have anyway.  even if it's just a mess kit pot or a canteen cup, a cooking vessel is pretty much indispensable IMO.  in addition to cooking (and remember, stewing extracts the most nutrients from any food), it also gives you another water purification resource (hydration and first aid).  as for firemaking, there are mixed opinions.  some people don't like the weight of a stove, and plan to make ground fires.  i really, really like my jetboil, but it requires LPG cans and is therefore time-limited as a resource.  it's way down on my needs list, but i do want to go to a dual fuel stove eventually––i think this is the best way to go.

for food, i think it's best to have a mix of prepared food (like mainstay or MRE entrees), freeze-dried if possible, and snacks (so that you don't raid your 'meals').  since you're in a pretty permissive water environment, you can go heavier on the freeze-dried than we can in the southwest, and save a lot of weight in the process.

I'm eying that Jetboil Titanium. 8.5 oz.  What is a dual fuel stove?
Link Posted: 3/4/2012 3:28:44 PM EDT
[#43]
burns both coleman fuel and unleaded gasoline.  not as convenient as LPG, but you'd have more options in an emergency.

Link Posted: 3/4/2012 5:28:24 PM EDT
[#44]
How is everyone distributing the weight in your BOB backpack? Heavy items on top or bottom?
Link Posted: 3/4/2012 9:00:37 PM EDT
[#45]

not for that weight and price.

Bingo.

While it's cool that it provides all that neato stuff, 99% of it is not needed on a 3 day hike.

Link Posted: 3/4/2012 9:04:02 PM EDT
[#46]

How is everyone distributing the weight in your BOB backpack? Heavy items on top or bottom?
I don't do it based on weight, but I will shift around a little if it's leaning left to right.

I order it based on need.

Immediate needs are in the pockets on the outside, 99% of the time. These include things like IFAK, water purification tablets, extra ammo, compass, map, etc. Things you wouldn't want to have to dig through your pack for.

I always put my sleeping bag in the bottom of the main compartment. It is the last thing I will need each day.

The rest is dependent on what I expect to come next. If I'm packing for a hike which I anticipate will require water crossing, I'll put my water shoes/change of clothes/towel toward the top.

If I expect a hassle free hike to the next camp site, I'll pack my clothes on my bag, with my hammock and other basic camp setup items up top.

Hope that helps.

Link Posted: 3/4/2012 9:07:24 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By bcauz3y:

not for that weight and price.
Bingo.

While it's cool that it provides all that neato stuff, 99% of it is not needed on a 3 day hike.

I guess ill keep with my tomahawk. Like the idea but true it would need to be a cheaper price, if it was 50 bucks sure even with the weight. Maybe having shave off 2 lbs Well thanks.

(Baby food info be posted Monday 5 mar 12)
Link Posted: 3/5/2012 11:56:43 AM EDT
[#48]

not for that weight and price.  to my eye, the only unique capabilities of that tool is digging and hammering/nail pulling, and i don't plan on doing a lot of either during the BO phase.  i mean, i don't really need another weapon––i already have a lot of weight tied up in my rifle and pistol.  if i really need a club, it's because my gun is broken...in which case i have a club already.  why do i need a hammer?  granted, it might be nice to have, but what do i foresee myself doing during the BO phase that will call for it?  not much.  same with the shovel.  furthermore, if i really want a shovel, then i can pick up a solid-handle surplus one for $15.  all that other stuff included with the thing is $30 worth of miscellany that i already have in my BOB.  so why spend all that extra money?

what it really comes down to for me is a simple question:  what am i willing to leave behind in order to free up 5# so that i can carry that thing?  my answer:  nothing.

+1 I have an E. German entrenching shovel that cost $10 and does most of what that will do - it will stay in my truck, behind the seat. In the pack? A good trowel and a custom made, titanium pry bar.
Link Posted: 3/5/2012 9:17:51 PM EDT
[#49]
Any recommendations on an emergency sleeping bag?
Link Posted: 3/5/2012 9:23:23 PM EDT
[#50]

Any recommendations on an emergency sleeping bag?
What do you mean by emergency?

To some people that means el-cheapo in a bag in the closet.

To others, it means high quality because you depend on it when times are tough.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 24
Tacked BOB what it should be. (Page 1 of 24)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top