Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Tacked BOB what it should be. (Page 1 of 24)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 24
Posted: 10/7/2006 4:38:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: protus]
Simple thing we all like to talk about ain't it? a BOB... yeah that  green,camo,tan,pink nylon and metal blob sitting stuffed to the gills in your room or trunk.

There's a Load of info on the web of what a BOB should be,what it shouldn't and what  the best one is.  BOB's are a personal  thing. What works  for me wont work for you.
But there are some important things a BOB should be.
It should fit you, it should hold  the amount of gear you've deemed necessary and it should be loaded to a weight you can physically handle.
On avg a 3 day BOB for a single person should weigh between 25- 30 LB's .
Now, i say on avg. because its 3 days. for 3 days you can go through a lot with out a lot.
But you still must be shelter'd,fed and hydrated.

This set up will handle what most of us as "survivalist" will ever have to go through in our lives, and may even double as your once a year backpacking trip set up.
Now on a full bore "crunch" set up your pack weights will go up of course.

From what I've seen  folks will chose a few styles of packs. basically  i narrow it down to 3 styles.
Surplus/military- Alice/molle or other large framed military packs.
Civy- internal/external framed packs
New Mil spec-  BFM,eagle and other  "3 day assault" frame less packs.

I feel that a framed pack of sorts is the only way to go once a extended stay BOB is packed or you want more than 3 days of gear. My reason is most framed packs are above 3500 cubes. This gives you Plenty of space to carry 3-5 days of gear or 3 days of gear and extras( deep winter clothing or extra food and ammo)
I say framed because once you exceed 25-30lbs i feel most frame less packs lack the support needed for those loads. The frame also allows you to tie off and add extra to the pack with out much effort or "felt" increase in weight due to their design.

We see a lot of "what should i pack" or  buy for my BOB.  For every BOB you need to make sure you have your basics covered before ANYTHING else. These are water,food and shelter. With out those 3 you will succumb  to the elements.
Water, you should always have a way to store and filter it.  Some of the more popular ways to store water are bladders or water bags like the Camelbak or Platypus.
These are light weight and easy to store in your pack. For example, most folks use a 2-3 liter , then have a Dromedary bags bag or Nalgenebottles for while in camp.
These are some of the best bets going now days for storage and use IMHO. Some opt for the old USGI canteen. this is a good stand by  but  their main fault is their 1 qt. capacity. These work better for line 2 or fighting loads IMHO. For a BOB a bladder  for on the go hydration is best. You must remember though you are sipping h20 not drinking large amounts, this is the only down fall of having a bladder only set up.  So it is best to combine them  or force yourself to drink constantly while on the go!
Water filters there are many on the market. Two good choices are the MSR filters and the Katadyn line of filters. all are light weight and are proven in the field by military and backpackers across the world. If you chose not to have a filter you need to have at least some water tablets.

Food, for  3 days it isn't much but  you have to make sure  that you have enough packed to ensure your body gets what it needs! There are many pack meals out there from the MRE to freeze dried. From a BOB aspect  you need to have both"hot" and cold meals. When using your BOB you may not have a fire or the chance or ability to cook. Having some fast eats is important.
MRE's are  the best for on the good foods BUT they are heavy,even when broken down. But they are a great source of what you need to stay on top of things.
Freeze drieds or dried foods like Mountain house  are great for in camp or when you need a hot meal. Their main advantage is that they weigh very little, their down fall is the price.
Dried foods like rice,noodles and soup mixes are also a good choice. these are light, and very cheap.
I like to pack lipton rice/pasta sides with  some foil packed chicken added to it. Ive had very good luck with these infield,cook times are fast,price is low and there is enough food to even feed 2 if need be. Normal packages weigh in around 5-7oz's!
I pack one of these each day for  the dinner meals  and No cook meals for lunch, like MRE entrees or the foil packed chicken with some spices, trail mix or a energy bar.
Bagged tuna can also be used in simple meals  or by itself along with salmon or dried beef. Of  course  i can go on and on about different foods but these are pretty basic  meals and ones used by the majority of folks with BOB's since they are shelf stable for long periods.

Shelter. This is a VERY AO dependant choice along with personal comfort levels.
The most common shelter is the tent. For a BOB id stay with something under 5lbs like the Eureka spitfire or the Exponet Inyo 2 A tent like that will normally run you 50-150$ for a name brand or more if you really want fancy.  Your shelter is the 2nd  bulkiest and Heaviest item in your BOB, side from ammo and water.
Tarp/poncho, this is a very common item in BOB's and everyone has them. A small ultra light tarp or poncho will shelter a person easily even in harsh weather,if the rest of their shelter system is in order. The tarp can also add extra protection,concealmet to your tent. as a raincover,ground cloth in winter or a cooking/dinning fly/wind break. some of the smaller tents its a warm welcome to stretch your legs under a fly to cook instead of leaning out and trying to do it all from inside.
Clothing. yes this is shelter. with out clothing your exposed  to the elements. The clothing you pack in your BOB is also very AO dependant. but a good basic set up is this.
Spare socks. i suggest  that a wool blend like Smartwool or for hotter temps a Lycra spandex blend. cotton socks will work in hotter climates but in colder climates you'll want the moisture wicking of the others.
base layer. This is what you'll wear in cold temps or at night. The most common are Poly pro's,Polar max,  Under armour and its knock offs. These all insulate you and keep moisture away from your body. wet is dead IMHO.
Outer shell.  this is everything from a basic nylon windbreaker to a goretex parka. this keeps the wind off you and the water. The newer fabrics these days also breath(goretex)  This also helps keep down  your pack weight. a light weight goretex shell with a heavy poly pro fleece liner will serve most well through the majority of temps through out the year.
Also  this includes  extra clothing BDu's, zip off pant/short combos, gloves, watch caps, balaclava etc.
Now you see why i said this will be one of the most bulkiest items in your BOB.

that's the basics of a BOB.  there  is a ton of stuff you can pack in your BOB but with out  those 3 things your gonna be hurting! This isn't an end all list , as gear is personal choices, and i left out a lot. This way others can chime in on what  gear has worked for them and Hopefully help out some of the newcomers that are packing their 1st BOB.

ETA: more.

So now we have Food,shelter,water in  your BOB.
These items are your 3 bulkiest items  and sometimes the heaviest!
They are the 3 items you NEED to stay alive. Now what else would you want to carry in a BOB.
For one since you'll be using you BOB in a evac/stressful event you want a PLAN.
This doesn't go in your BOB(it could ) but its what will lead you to USE your BOB!
You ll want some tools,communications,nav gear and comfort items along  with extras.

Tools- Tools are a wide variety of  objects from a spare set of multi pliers to a decked out Mp5.
Some basic tools that a BOB should have or incorporate are-
multitool- a do all tool for small jobs and day to day work.

Knife- to stay basic you ll want a design that will do 99% of day to day work. Ive found that a good 4 -5 inch folder or fixed blade will do! My set up incorps  the BK-7 along with my multitool and Gerber folder. i have large duty blades and the smaller folder/multiool for small work(also that's why there's a hacksaw blade in the sheath pouch )

Shovel- heavy item IMHO, and a waste of space. if you must a plastic garden trowel will work. most of  what you need tis for is digging fire pits or to bury waste.

Axe/Saw- heavy item,,  i think a axe is great but the large size is a big No no. the saw is the best bet IMHO. due to its size(Fiskars folding saw) and noise. an axe/hatchet you can hear for along ways off thump,,,thump,,,,thump.....

weapon- This is a tool that will vary form person to person.. for a  NON tactical BO event  the KISS rule applies. the  most robust and simple to use weapon is the best choice. To me that would be a good bolt gun. I like the FR8 in 762x51nato.
again for a NON tactical use but with enough Umphh to take down what i need  to!
sidearm- also a weapons tool.  for our BOB... it should be a 22lr IMHO.  your self defense sidearm should be part of your Line two or fighting gear NOT your BOB!
The 22lr sidearm is perfect for small game getting in a small compact package!

Communications.
You've BO'd now what. When is it safe to go back, can you ever go back?

You need  some way to communicate, be it am/fm/sw or HAM radio.
I don't really carry a lot of comms in my BOB because of their weight's and price right now.
I have a small am/fm/tv1-2 /noaa radio that is the size of a pack of cigs. Its my only Info gathering comms right now. besides my  FRS/GRMS for  P2P comm's.
Like weapons some  ppl are  heavy in this area.

Navigation-
You need to know where your going right? you do know don't you?
Nav gear is pretty basic.
a good compass that you KNOW how to  use.
a good set of AO maps
a GPS- if you must
a set of batts for the GPS
know how to use the 1st two you wont need the GPS IMHO!

Comfort items-
These items are the misc. fluff and stuff we all carry. That ect bic lighter or pocket bible!
these are personal items that will make you BO a Lil cushy or a Lil more relaxing. a good  wipe down with a set of wipes after 5 day son the trail without a bath may be a god send to some. while that nice soft wash cloth is what does it for you..or just the chance to read a few  lines out of your bible.
IMHO there is no limit or list of what comfort items should be.. but they should NEVER out weigh or be taken over what you  NEED,,,,
Link Posted: 12/6/2012 12:06:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By Tuff:
Alot of good reading and various ideas....

I have one big issue with whats in a BOB...  I live 40 miles outside of Ft. Worth... my residence and what few neigbors I have are all good people, somewhat like minded.

BUT....I work 100 miles away in Dallas, Usally on the south end.. So my BOB loadout is a bit heavy...

I carry a weapon for a living..in the trunk of my car rests a 10.5 AR, and BOB.  if things were to turn south while I was in town getting home is the priority and knowing what part of town I will be in
has dictated and eaten up alot of room in my 3 day raid pack.  I have tried to cut weight while keeping absolute must haves.

Plan is to take the car as far as I can, if possible at all..depends on incident.

Question is just how many of you are in a simular situation...

You should post your bag contents in a new thread with your life situation for some positive responses.  I'd love to help out.  I am not in the same situation as you, however weight is extremely important to me so perhaps I could help you in that aspect.

Link Posted: 12/6/2012 8:47:45 AM EDT
[#2]

I have one big issue with whats in a BOB...  I live 40 miles outside of Ft. Worth... my residence and what few neigbors I have are all good people, somewhat like minded.

BUT....I work 100 miles away in Dallas, Usally on the south end.. So my BOB loadout is a bit heavy...

I carry a weapon for a living..in the trunk of my car rests a 10.5 AR, and BOB.  if things were to turn south while I was in town getting home is the priority and knowing what part of town I will be in

has dictated and eaten up alot of room in my 3 day raid pack.  I have tried to cut weight while keeping absolute must haves.

Plan is to take the car as far as I can, if possible at all..depends on incident.

see, to me, that's a situation for a GHB rather than a full BOB.  my idea would be to get home first.  100mi is 5 days of walking or a day by bicycle.

my GHB is a kelty kidney pack that weighs 12#.  that's 5000 calories, water, 3 mags, GPS, and other essentials.  how heavy is your BOB?
Link Posted: 12/6/2012 5:51:33 PM EDT
[#3]
100 miles from home  and  "Whats in the Trunk"...Rifle, carrier, BOB...

10.5 AR,with surefire scoutlight

BAE RBAV Carrier with soft 3A and stand alone LVL 4 plates , 3A side plates,  6  30rd AR mags, 4 17 rd G17 mags, Dark Angel medical blow out kit, 1 quart camelback, Surefire echo, leatherman, 20ft of woven paracord, two carabiners
Surefire 6pd, large maxpedition rollipolli

BOB contents.  1 quart camelback, water filtration straw, emergency blanket, extra socks, compass, local maps, 3 MRE's , Dark Angel medical blow out kit, small basic med kit,  40ft of woven paracord, 3 30rd AR mags, 4 17rd G17 mags, mil spec pancho/can be used a shelter also, surefire 6p, 6 extra cr123's, 2 large maxpedition rollipolli.

And of course what on my waist everyday.. Duty belt, G19, surefire 6p, 2 17rd g17 mags, pepper spray, asp, two sets of cuffs.....

Extra clothes in the trunk, uniform will come off..

As some of you can see I'm, heavy...... but cut down enough to move through some pretty crappy areas, ethnic areas tend to explode when things go down hill.  Plan would be to move down the I-20 corridor, with possible resupply points along the way..

I like to ruck heavy and go on long hikes to shake things out, on foot with the above load I have covered 30 miles....

Link Posted: 12/6/2012 11:08:22 PM EDT
[#4]

BAE RBAV Carrier with soft 3A and stand alone LVL 4 plates , 3A side plates,  6  30rd AR mags, 4 17 rd G17 mags, Dark Angel medical blow out kit, 1 quart camelback, Surefire echo, leatherman, 20ft of woven paracord, two carabiners

BOB contents.  1 quart camelback, water filtration straw, emergency blanket, extra socks, compass, local maps, 3 MRE's , Dark Angel medical blow out kit, small basic med kit,  40ft of woven paracord, 3 30rd AR mags, 4 17rd G17 mags, mil spec pancho/can be used a shelter also, surefire 6p, 6 extra cr123's, 2 large maxpedition rollipolli.

And of course what on my waist everyday.. Duty belt, G19, surefire 6p, 2 17rd g17 mags, pepper spray, asp, two sets of cuffs.....

As some of you can see I'm, heavy...... but cut down enough to move through some pretty crappy areas, ethnic areas tend to explode when things go down hill.  Plan would be to move down the I-20 corridor, with possible resupply points along the way..

I like to ruck heavy and go on long hikes to shake things out, on foot with the above load I have covered 30 miles....

440 rounds of ammo, two blow out kits, LVL 4 standalone plates with 3A behind it....and only 2 quarts of water?
Are you patrolling Fallujah or trying to get home??
Link Posted: 12/7/2012 2:38:04 AM EDT
[#5]

Originally Posted By raimius:

440 rounds of ammo, two blow out kits, LVL 4 standalone plates with 3A behind it....and only 2 quarts of water?

plus 3 flashlights and 6 extra batteries.  i mean, to each his own, but that's about 60# of zombie stuff and about 8# of survival stuff.  all wrapped in an extremely overt package that makes it pretty tough to blend in.

just a different way of thinking, i suppose.
Link Posted: 12/7/2012 5:52:41 AM EDT
[#6]

Originally Posted By raimius:

he could cut weight in the pack area with different gear choices, but ammo and armor is gonna still keep him weighted down.

imho..go with a low pro carrier 4 mags at best you duty belt.  BOB wise lighten it down with better food choices.

dump the extra mags etc keep them in a grab bag in your car for shooter shit but not the BOB. keep some loose ammo and a few pistol mags but not many.

remember your trying to get home not engage in a fire fight.

also the mil poncho will weigh in around 1.5+ lbs on avg. a sil tarp or lighter nylon tarp will weigh under 12 oz on avg. thats weigh saved .

water you need more at min 3-4 liters to start.

keep spare water in your car as well,least you can hump extra water and suck it down as need be.

honestly your IBA set up prolly should stay as is for work, but i wold plan on moving stuff from it to the BOB when time comes and again keeping a low pro or soft armor for on the go.

hard set of scenerios to work with since the work you do ..

but like said get hime is key.

iw ork about 40 miles from town for me thats 2-3 days walk due to location ,limited routes and honestly i wanna getthere in one peice and will take my time.

ghb is a small cbak mule with 3 liters of h20,filter,sil tarp 3 cliff bars, 2m ht,maps, mini kit,mini FAK, and other survival odds and ends.

The BOB is my old med alice, with "junk" gear, basically food and water but my truck has extras , its there to either be loaded up with extra food and water if need be from my work AO before going out on foot or to load uyp stuff thats in my truck kit. Some may say thats a waste of time, but agian, its ready for 3 days as is,,,its there for the extra( winter clothes etc) that the GHB cant carry.

Link Posted: 12/7/2012 11:03:53 AM EDT
[#7]
I think the answer is somewhere between the two. I think under the circumstances 5 days to cover 100 miles is optimistic. You're not going to be walking down the road if you're smart. Going cross-country adds a lot of time, especially if you aren't familiar with the area, and carrying weight up and down hills over rough terrain is a lot different than following a nice trail or road. Opsec will also mean that you stay out of sight and move slower.

Imagine you are in the DRC/Sudan/Rwanda border area and trying to get home. Joseph's Koney's LRA are out there wandering around, converting people with machetes, as are misc. other gangs. Now tell me you're going to do 25 miles a day carrying 60#. Even stopping to filter water is a huge risk, especially if you are alone. No one I know can filter water and stand security at the same time. People are drawn to water, espeially under such circumstances.

Ltwt gear for warmth, food you can eat without cooking, and plenty of water is a must. A good sidearm and a lightweight carbine should get you where you are going. Go hiking with 440 rounds of 5.56 sometime -not to mention BA. 30 miles? Sure. 100 miles? Operationally you aren't going to be worth a crap and will make a nice, slow-moving target. Getting shot in the thigh, even if it misses the femoral under such circumstances is likely a kill shot. Staying light and under the radar is the only real option. Best  if you can hike sections of the route in good weather, preferably carrying the gear you plan to take to work the bugs out. If not, you're going to be in a world of hurt.

When I was working in PHX (will be back down there in a couple months) I was looking at this same scenario. About 125 - 150 miles home to my BOL and a LOT of rough terrain with very little water. I planned a route, did some recon, but needed to do more to verify stock tank locations on the map. When you work 60 hours a week unfortunately, it's a lot nicer to sit on the couch Sunday while your laundry is in the washer, drink a beer and watch the game. When I go back down, I'll likely be on the other side of the valley and have to start planning the route all over again. Like most people I plan on driving at least most of the way, but in a worst case scenario, I'd be hiking it.  Planning your GHR (Get Home Route) exit strategy involves more than just driving around - you have to get out and look for water, get some topo maps of the area and pencil in planned routes, then get out and hike it with a pack. Otherwise it's purely mental masturbation.
Link Posted: 12/7/2012 12:54:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Tuff] [#8]
Thanks for the replys,  As for true GPS distance, its around 76, but with the added route and dropping down to south of the I-20 corridor will add on distance, and yes the plan is to drop down into somewhat rural area to allow for faster movement.
The Iraq comment was close... but I do work in one of the worst parts of south dallas, getting out of the immediate area will the absolute most dangerous parts of the entire trip, once clear I could easliy cut weight and move faster, and that is part of the plan, but plans evolve.   As mentioned by one of the posters above route planning is paramount, as I have over the past year mapped out several routes out, via concrete drainages, creeks and so forth to get me south of I-20, along with secluded watering spots along the way....
And with food, I have been looking into higher quality, higher calorie lighter meals..

Fun part was, this summer I had my wife drop  me off at the Junction of loop 820 and I-20 just as the sun went down, with the current loadout to test one of my routes.. I made it in the time I wanted and arrived close to peaster tx after sun up..was not easy  but It was accomplished..
Link Posted: 12/7/2012 7:55:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the replys,  As for true GPS distance, its around 76, but with the added route and dropping down to south of the I-20 corridor will add on distance, and yes the plan is to drop down into somewhat rural area to allow for faster movement.
The Iraq comment was close... but I do work in one of the worst parts of south dallas, getting out of the immediate area will the absolute most dangerous parts of the entire trip, once clear I could easliy cut weight and move faster, and that is part of the plan, but plans evolve.   As mentioned by one of the posters above route planning is paramount, as I have over the past year mapped out several routes out, via concrete drainages, creeks and so forth to get me south of I-20, along with secluded watering spots along the way....
And with food, I have been looking into higher quality, higher calorie lighter meals..

Fun part was, this summer I had my wife drop  me off at the Junction of loop 820 and I-20 just as the sun went down, with the current loadout to test one of my routes.. I made it in the time I wanted and arrived close to peaster tx after sun up..was not easy  but It was accomplished..

Hope you didn't think I was being too critical. Sounds like you've done the homework. I still think BA is overdoing it, but hey, it's your ass. I wonder how many people have actually gone to the trouble of hiking the route with the gear they post the way you did? You're right - you can always jettison stuff, but it does slow you down in the meantime. Another factor people don't take into account is time of year. Summer in Dallas or Phoenix is a whole different animal than it is other places, and WILL affect your ability to carry weight. Just a thought.
Link Posted: 12/9/2012 2:48:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: basp2005] [#10]
bob contents/cat/bag, Eberlestock gunslinger.

cover/clothes

cordage

cutting

container

combustion/ also nav and signaling.

extras
food

aid

hygiene

Not shown, personal documents/money.
Link Posted: 12/11/2012 10:42:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Morg308:
I think the answer is somewhere between the two. I think under the circumstances 5 days to cover 100 miles is optimistic. You're not going to be walking down the road if you're smart. Going cross-country adds a lot of time, especially if you aren't familiar with the area, and carrying weight up and down hills over rough terrain is a lot different than following a nice trail or road. Opsec will also mean that you stay out of sight and move slower.

Imagine you are in the DRC/Sudan/Rwanda border area and trying to get home. Joseph's Koney's LRA are out there wandering around, converting people with machetes, as are misc. other gangs. Now tell me you're going to do 25 miles a day carrying 60#. Even stopping to filter water is a huge risk, especially if you are alone. No one I know can filter water and stand security at the same time. People are drawn to water, espeially under such circumstances.

Ltwt gear for warmth, food you can eat without cooking, and plenty of water is a must. A good sidearm and a lightweight carbine should get you where you are going. Go hiking with 440 rounds of 5.56 sometime -not to mention BA. 30 miles? Sure. 100 miles? Operationally you aren't going to be worth a crap and will make a nice, slow-moving target. Getting shot in the thigh, even if it misses the femoral under such circumstances is likely a kill shot. Staying light and under the radar is the only real option. Best  if you can hike sections of the route in good weather, preferably carrying the gear you plan to take to work the bugs out. If not, you're going to be in a world of hurt.

When I was working in PHX (will be back down there in a couple months) I was looking at this same scenario. About 125 - 150 miles home to my BOL and a LOT of rough terrain with very little water. I planned a route, did some recon, but needed to do more to verify stock tank locations on the map. When you work 60 hours a week unfortunately, it's a lot nicer to sit on the couch Sunday while your laundry is in the washer, drink a beer and watch the game. When I go back down, I'll likely be on the other side of the valley and have to start planning the route all over again. Like most people I plan on driving at least most of the way, but in a worst case scenario, I'd be hiking it.  Planning your GHR (Get Home Route) exit strategy involves more than just driving around - you have to get out and look for water, get some topo maps of the area and pencil in planned routes, then get out and hike it with a pack. Otherwise it's purely mental masturbation.

walk the seven springs road...Ill..pick you up...heading out myself...
Link Posted: 12/31/2012 12:48:34 AM EDT
[#12]
This topic has given me a lot to think about for my BOBs.  I have one for me and my wife, I never really thought about weighing it though! I also never really thought that hard about the shelter portion. I guess I have to relook the entirety of the BOBs when I get back from Afghanland!
Link Posted: 2/10/2013 1:08:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Thoughts on water filters.... not really appropriate for a BOB in my opinion. Chlorfloc is as good and it frees up a ton of space.
Link Posted: 2/10/2013 1:26:14 PM EDT
[#14]

Originally Posted By MurrayRothbard:

Thoughts on water filters.... not really appropriate for a BOB in my opinion. Chlorfloc is as good and it frees up a ton of space.

disagree strongly.  first, space usually isn't an issue.  second, chlor-floc and iodine are consumables rather than durables, which really narrows your options.  having a wider array of treatment options and greater treatment capacity means that you can carry less water.  survival is about maximizing options and minimizing exposure.

i carry iodine in my essentials bag, but the filter in my BOB means that i'm not living on borrowed time water-wise.  

Link Posted: 2/15/2013 9:59:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 12:13:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: larryparamedic] [#17]
Link Posted: 2/19/2013 12:35:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 2/25/2013 10:52:50 AM EDT
[#19]
Just recently bought a Spec Ops T.H.E. pack and thnk it will work perfectly to carry my remaining stash of Twinkies and Ding Dongs.

Link Posted: 3/6/2013 5:01:00 PM EDT
[#20]
I am getting in late but will start assembling soon!

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 3/6/2013 5:08:12 PM EDT
[#21]

Originally Posted By 1fromtx:

Originally Posted By RedDane:

Originally Posted By Jparks29:

I hear conflicting information.

Some people say jeans are best to be used in a BOB because they're very sturdy, and will last a while, resistant to tearing, and all around durable (my opinion).

Others say NOT to use jeans, because they're heavier, and will absorb water at a higher rate, so if it's raining, or you have to ford water, you'll be weighed down.

I'm all for 'tactical pants', but in reality, wouldn't you want clothes that would last forever?

I read once that the SAS uses two sets of cloths.  One dry and one wet.  The dry clothes are put on at night for sleeping and the wet clothes are used during the day for operations.

From what I understand, once you get wet in the field it is difficult to get dry again unless you build a fire and have time to sort everything out before someone comes to pay you a visit.

This is just what I've read.  Doesn't mean that it's right and I don't claim any sort of special knowledge here.

I've read the same thing.

These guys are some of the best if not the best in survival training so I would

feel very confident in using a lot of their methods.

Never use cotton, always synthetic.

Learn it, live it.

Link Posted: 3/13/2013 12:26:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: EchoSix] [#22]

Originally Posted By Suuko:

This is my take on pants, some may agree and others won't.
Buy Arcteryx.
I've bought 2 pairs of $100 Arcteryx Rampart pants, 1 is vacuum sealed the other is worn regularly.  They are extremely lightweight, very quiet while moving, and no matter how hard I try I cannot stop them from looking like new.  I've spent a lot of money on buying multiple sets of the same jeans that fit, multiple sets of the same khaki Carhart pants.....  while they are durable (although not as much as Arcteryx), they do not dry quickly, they do not block wind easily, they are not lightweight, they are bulky, and they are restricting.

Moral of the story is that you really get what you pay for.  I've only worn the 1 pair of $100 Arcteryx Rampart pants and they have outlasted 6 pairs of jeans and 6 pairs of Carhart's.  I have worn them shooting, sliding prone across ground with rocks, gravel, brass, trash, glass, etc numerous times, I have worn them hiking and backpacking on different continents, I have worn them in the hot AZ desert, to the cold sub-zero mountains of Kyrgyzstan, to the damp climate of Washington state.

There is a reason they are $100 and there is a reason people like Chris Costa wear them.  They are practically bomb-proof.  If I walked into a store and held the ones I've worn for 2-3 years up next to some on the shelf you wouldn't know the difference.  I cannot say enough good things about Arcteryx.  While it is expensive for most, they pay for themselves... trust me.

And you're not kidding!!

I took this advice, from this very comment, and splurged one night. I ordered two pairs of shorts and one pair of pants. The second pair of pants were out of stock in the color I wanted. Although I haven't worn the pants yet, I have worn both pairs of shorts.

Now, I'm a carpenter and do a majority of my work indoors, since I mostly do interior trim and woodworking. Even though it's what even I consider to be the mamby-pamby side of carpentry, I still do beat the hell out of my clothes and shoes. Crawling around, bending over, squatting and picking stuff up, up and down ladders, stepping over and around things, wiping glue and oils on my legs, etc. I'm not getting dragged behind a moving cargo truck while holding onto my whip, trying to stop the nazis from stealing the Ark of the Covenant or anything... But I have shredded pockets that get caught on handles or knobs and even split my crotch (of my shorts) wide open, from every day use.

I'm one of those nuts you see in the winter, who wears shorts everywhere. Of course I'm not completely crazy... When it's freezing out, I'll put pants on. But these Arc’teryx Ramparts aren't meant for warmth. They're very lightweight and do NOT retain heat. Which is a good thing for me, because I did get very hot easily... But wearing pants drives me nuts if I have to kneel a lot or put myself into a physical position where the pants leg is becoming a nuisance. But that's just me.

But seriously... I honestly think these shorts (or at least their fabric) are made from materials not found on this planet.

They're amazing.

Lightweight, STRONG, almost impervious to stains and dirt and they're actually nice enough to wear anywhere. I've gotten them snagged on things that would normally have torn my regular cotton Old Navy cargo shorts to shreds. But these shorts only show a "nipple" from where they got yanked on or pinched. But that eventually flattens out after a few minutes or goes flat in the wash.

Pricey, and not meant to keep you warm, but my God are they worth it.

Link Posted: 3/13/2013 2:09:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By bcauz3y:

Some people say jeans are best to be used in a BOB because they're very sturdy, and will last a while, resistant to tearing, and all around durable (my opinion).

Others say NOT to use jeans, because they're heavier, and will absorb water at a higher rate, so if it's raining, or you have to ford water, you'll be weighed down.

I'm all for 'tactical pants', but in reality, wouldn't you want clothes that would last forever?

I read once that the SAS uses two sets of cloths.  One dry and one wet.  The dry clothes are put on at night for sleeping and the wet clothes are used during the day for operations.

From what I understand, once you get wet in the field it is difficult to get dry again unless you build a fire and have time to sort everything out before someone comes to pay you a visit.

This is just what I've read.  Doesn't mean that it's right and I don't claim any sort of special knowledge here.

Never use cotton, always synthetic.

Learn it, live it.

I <3 cotton
Link Posted: 3/13/2013 2:15:03 PM EDT
[#24]

just got back yesterday from a geology field trip that we set up for undergrads.  many had never camped before.  now, i'm a long, long ways from an expert outdoorsman, so i limited my advice to a couple of things my dad taught me, based on his arctic survival training in the air force.

1.  wet set/dry set.

2.  do not sleep fully clothed (especially with socks on).

amusingly, most of the women took this advice, while a lot of the guys ignored it.  by the third morning (34 degrees at sunrise), the guys were pretty uniformly wet, cold, and miserable, while the girls were bouncing around just fine.

the trip was really good in terms of refreshing me on a ton of stuff that i've lost proficiency with, along with a great gear check.  i really need to camp more.

Link Posted: 3/13/2013 4:51:15 PM EDT
[#25]

Originally Posted By TxRabbitBane:

I <3 cotton

I do too! I wear it every day. It's comfy.

Out in the woods, when it's wet or humid, or anything else, cotton blows.

Link Posted: 3/17/2013 9:40:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Hey guys, thought I would share my first bug out bag. I'm constantly adding to it but feel free to let me know if you think I should add anything!

Exterior:

Extra cordage on the handle

On the straps i have an esee 5, Princeton tec head lamp for quick lighting, camlebak tan hydration tube, surefire g2x on belt, comm puch on belt

Gloves on carabiner under the transport tail

Exterior pockets include a tac tailor enhanced admin pouch which has a streamlight flashlight, extra batteries, compass, pens, homemade waterproof fire starter (jute twine and parafin wax), light my fire wood shavings, ferro rod, wind/ waterproof lighter, pens, lock picks and a bore snake. In the pocket itself in keep oakley lens cleaner, knife sharpener, ear pro and bug spray

Interior:

Base layers, extra socks, sweatshirt, Sven saw (check it out if you haven't, about as compact when folded as a gerber limb saw but way more effective), first aid kit, shemagh, flares, beanie, waterproof pants, jetboil stove and fuel

First aid kit

Surgical dressing
4x4 gauze
2x2 gauze
2x3 non stick pads
Cloth bandaids
Waterproof bandaids
Iodine
Isopropyl alcohol
Alcohol wipes
Green soap wipes
Triple antibiotic ointment
Aspirin
Acetaminophen
Ibuprofen
Ace bandage
Gauze roll
Tape
Quick clot combat gauze
3/0 monofilament surgical sutures
Curved kellys
Straight kellys
Scissors
Moleskin
Sewing kit
May be more but I think that's it...

And of course my bob gun.. M&p.

I'm still working on my food situation. Ill do an eta when I get it sorted out.
Link Posted: 3/31/2013 10:56:32 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By michaelreed:
Hey guys, thought I would share my first bug out bag. I'm constantly adding to it but feel free to let me know if you think I should add anything!

Exterior:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y6/untildeathdouspart/55228118-C623-4550-9389-8A8F7B8DB2B5-238-0000001D7CD92EF4_zpseb3694df.jpg

Extra cordage on the handle

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y6/untildeathdouspart/6B8DAC46-B21C-4245-800F-5BB3089A2071-238-0000001DAE7B1D3D_zpsc8c7c860.jpg

On the straps i have an esee 5, Princeton tec head lamp for quick lighting, camlebak tan hydration tube, surefire g2x on belt, comm puch on belt

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y6/untildeathdouspart/E54A4D7E-7418-4775-8FE5-A726CB3F1630-238-000000204484BC37_zpsd88f6ab8.jpg

Gloves on carabiner under the transport tail

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y6/untildeathdouspart/4D83BB7D-27AC-46CD-8452-535BF5307347-238-0000001EEA8D8841_zps0fd851c0.jpg

Exterior pockets include a tac tailor enhanced admin pouch which has a streamlight flashlight, extra batteries, compass, pens, homemade waterproof fire starter (jute twine and parafin wax), light my fire wood shavings, ferro rod, wind/ waterproof lighter, pens, lock picks and a bore snake. In the pocket itself in keep oakley lens cleaner, knife sharpener, ear pro and bug spray

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y6/untildeathdouspart/0C6B84A8-5B72-4634-B939-6EB7CD3F0688-238-0000001D9916D889_zpsbde47ead.jpg

Interior:

Base layers, extra socks, sweatshirt, Sven saw (check it out if you haven't, about as compact when folded as a gerber limb saw but way more effective), first aid kit, shemagh, flares, beanie, waterproof pants, jetboil stove and fuel

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y6/untildeathdouspart/1D89EA02-D14F-441E-A8C4-91363F6B2A01-238-0000001DCB673FDC_zpsf239043d.jpg

First aid kit

Surgical dressing
4x4 gauze
2x2 gauze
2x3 non stick pads
Cloth bandaids
Waterproof bandaids
Iodine
Isopropyl alcohol
Alcohol wipes
Green soap wipes
Triple antibiotic ointment
Aspirin
Acetaminophen
Ibuprofen
Ace bandage
Gauze roll
Tape
Quick clot combat gauze
3/0 monofilament surgical sutures
Curved kellys
Straight kellys
Scissors
Moleskin
Sewing kit
May be more but I think that's it...

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y6/untildeathdouspart/7A77DE1D-8487-4686-BFC3-63B9433574D6-238-0000001DBAE14471_zps68e837c8.jpg

And of course my bob gun.. M&p.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y6/untildeathdouspart/D38E9D57-92BD-40AF-8157-43F00FBB4B3C-238-00000027AF88D265_zpsaf7c70c8.jpg

I'm still working on my food situation. Ill do an eta when I get it sorted out.

Is your First Aid Kit waterproof?

Reason I ask is because the wrapers the pills are I don't believe are waterproof, and just wondering if the case is, and if it is, what kind is it?
Link Posted: 4/4/2013 1:28:23 AM EDT
[#28]
My attempt of a Bug Out Bag.  I would say its 90% complete, just have to acquire a few more little things.  This setup is tailored for me and the expected environment I intend to be in.  I live in Virginia Beach and don't expect to be bugging anytime soon.  It is starting to get over populated in the city which can be a good or bad thing.   With so much more resources out there comes with a lot of risk and being prone to danger.  Well I have a wish list made up to account the completion of my setup.  It is tailored to my skill level, knowledge of equipment, and the environment I tend to be in, which is mostly urban and close quarters combat.  I am too lazy to unpack everything to take pictures in detail, everything inside the bag is nicely folded only when to take out during emergency.

Wishlist: (the ones in bold mean that I don't have them yet and need to acquire)

First aid kit
clean undershirt
clean boxers
2x clean pairs of socks
Cold weather shirt and trousers
Parka, multicam jacket and trousers
Mechanix gloves
Winter gloves
Earplugs with case
Identification tags
Oakley Minute 2.0 sunglasses with case
MRE entree's
Assorted snacks
Plastic bags
Ziploc bags
Toiletry bag: toothbrush, toothpaste, soap, shampoo, deodorant, q-tips, nail clippers, chapstick
2x Kleenex tissue
Hand wipes
Hand sanitizer wipes
Hand sanitizer
Wipes for glasses
Binoculars
Leatherman Surge multi-tool pliers
Cold Steel Survival Rescue Knife
Surefire G2X pro flashlight
Bic lighter
Cammenga USGI compass
Zip ties
Writing tools
“Rite in Rain” kit: pen, pencil, sharpie, note pad

Ultimate Survival Tool Kit: signal mirror, whistle, wetfire tinder, fire starter
Gun oil
Glass optics cloth
Small white towel
Large brown towel
Insect repellant
550 Paracord
Rope
3 carabiners
Reflector PT belt
Spare assorted batteries

top view:

This is a paintball book bag for a paintball gun by the company NXE.  So far it has held up.  It is currently at 20 pounds.  I weighed myself and then weighed myself with the pack slung.  I have done one hiking trip with it and rode my bike a few miles with it.  Not much field experience but I don't get out much or have the free time anymore.  I bought it for around $80 and not too sure how much longer it is going to hold up.  It hasn't failed but only time will tell.

front view:

As you can see, I have my G.I. earplugs strapped down on one of the shoulder straps.  Inside I have Tru-Spec ECWCS Gen 2 Parka and Trousers in Multicam and cheap Cold weather gloves in woodland camo.  The second main compartment houses my toiletry items, spare clothes, ID tags, survival kit, compartments that hold tissues, wipes, etc.

right side:  (bad pic)

The ammo can is my lunch box.  It is going to house as many MRE entree's I can fit alongside heaters and a few sporks.  Once I finish it all I can save the can for a cache or ditch it.  I removed the carry handle and the other wire thing beneath the latch.  They produce noise under movement.  You will also see my shitty Cold Steel SRK knife.  Just overall disappointed with it.  Next to that is my surefire light.  And on the left houses my GI compass.  Right above all this is a compartment that secures my mechanix gloves.  Below is a zippered pocket holds my small white towel.

left side:

The left pistol mag pouch holds my leatherman multi-tool.  Next to it is insect repellant in a flashlight holder.  And to the right of it is a pouch that holds my purell hand sanitizer and gun oil bottles.
and behind is a velcro pocket compartment that my cheap 12x power binoculars fit in.  The zippered pocket holds other small items and behind that is a velcro pocket compartment that my cheap 12x power binoculars fit in.  I also have more compartments that hold other small items.

back side:

Rope.  Many uses for it but unfortunately it only 3/8" rope.  I think I have 100 feet of it wrapped around a flap on the back of the bag.  I live in the city so I may need to climb out of a window or move stuff with a vehicle.  I have a bungee cord with hooks at the end.  I may find a use for it but for now it helps hold the back side in place.  

I know that the tactical gods are laughing at me.  I'm a true believe in "you get what you pay for".  I'm pretty sure this bug out bag is not made in the USA.  I used to play paintball, or should I say tried to get into paintball, but that lasted for only one winter season.  I invested a lot of money into this sport for such a short period that I ended up selling everything I had from it.  What was left was my mask and this paintball gun book bag.  I kept on thinking and thinking on what to do with it.  Debated whether or not I should attempt to turn it into survival gear.  The more I thought about it the closer I made my decision and sure enough I took the approach to end up looking like this.  It just made sense.  There were enough features about the bag that I considered useful.  I even ended up modifying it by taking out as much of the NXE logo I could, removed some useless straps to me, and made use of every compartment which were a lot of them.
Link Posted: 4/17/2013 3:38:17 PM EDT
[#29]
place holder

Link Posted: 4/17/2013 7:35:06 PM EDT
[#30]

Exterior:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y6/untildeathdouspart/55228118-C623-4550-9389-8A8F7B8DB2B5-238-0000001D7CD92EF4_zpseb3694df.jpg

What pack is that?

Link Posted: 4/21/2013 9:04:36 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By DeluxeSupreme:
My attempt of a Bug Out Bag.  I would say its 90% complete, just have to acquire a few more little things.  This setup is tailored for me and the expected environment I intend to be in.  I live in Virginia Beach and don't expect to be bugging anytime soon.  It is starting to get over populated in the city which can be a good or bad thing.   With so much more resources out there comes with a lot of risk and being prone to danger.  Well I have a wish list made up to account the completion of my setup.  It is tailored to my skill level, knowledge of equipment, and the environment I tend to be in, which is mostly urban and close quarters combat.  I am too lazy to unpack everything to take pictures in detail, everything inside the bag is nicely folded only when to take out during emergency.

Wishlist: (the ones in bold mean that I don't have them yet and need to acquire)

First aid kit
clean undershirt
clean boxers
2x clean pairs of socks
Mechanix gloves
Winter gloves
Earplugs with case
Identification tags
MRE entree's
Assorted snacks
Plastic bags
Ziploc bags
Toiletry bag: toothbrush, toothpaste, soap, shampoo, deodorant, q-tips, nail clippers, chapstick
2x Kleenex tissue
Hand wipes
Hand sanitizer wipes
Hand sanitizer
Wipes for glasses
Binoculars
Bic lighter
Cammenga USGI compass
Zip ties
Writing tools

Ultimate Survival Tool Kit: signal mirror, whistle, wetfire tinder, fire starter
Gun oil
Glass optics cloth
Small white towel
Large brown towel
Insect repellant
550 Paracord
Rope
3 carabiners
Reflector PT belt
Spare assorted batteries

top view:
http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm175/deluxesupreme/IMG_20130403_231902_424_zps86d4680f.jpg

This is a paintball book bag for a paintball gun by the company NXE.  So far it has held up.  It is currently at 20 pounds.  I weighed myself and then weighed myself with the pack slung.  I have done one hiking trip with it and rode my bike a few miles with it.  Not much field experience but I don't get out much or have the free time anymore.  I bought it for around $80 and not too sure how much longer it is going to hold up.  It hasn't failed but only time will tell.

front view:
http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm175/deluxesupreme/IMG_20130404_241609_433_zps0789440e.jpg

As you can see, I have my G.I. earplugs strapped down on one of the shoulder straps.  Inside I have Tru-Spec ECWCS Gen 2 Parka and Trousers in Multicam and cheap Cold weather gloves in woodland camo.  The second main compartment houses my toiletry items, spare clothes, ID tags, survival kit, compartments that hold tissues, wipes, etc.

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm175/deluxesupreme/IMG_20130404_241724_357_zps194149b5.jpg

The ammo can is my lunch box.  It is going to house as many MRE entree's I can fit alongside heaters and a few sporks.  Once I finish it all I can save the can for a cache or ditch it.  I removed the carry handle and the other wire thing beneath the latch.  They produce noise under movement.  You will also see my shitty Cold Steel SRK knife.  Just overall disappointed with it.  Next to that is my surefire light.  And on the left houses my GI compass.  Right above all this is a compartment that secures my mechanix gloves.  Below is a zippered pocket holds my small white towel.

left side:
http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm175/deluxesupreme/IMG_20130404_241746_542_zps8057be9a.jpg

The left pistol mag pouch holds my leatherman multi-tool.  Next to it is insect repellant in a flashlight holder.  And to the right of it is a pouch that holds my purell hand sanitizer and gun oil bottles.
and behind is a velcro pocket compartment that my cheap 12x power binoculars fit in.  The zippered pocket holds other small items and behind that is a velcro pocket compartment that my cheap 12x power binoculars fit in.  I also have more compartments that hold other small items.

back side:
http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm175/deluxesupreme/IMG_20130404_241759_547_zps793086f1.jpg

Rope.  Many uses for it but unfortunately it only 3/8" rope.  I think I have 100 feet of it wrapped around a flap on the back of the bag.  I live in the city so I may need to climb out of a window or move stuff with a vehicle.  I have a bungee cord with hooks at the end.  I may find a use for it but for now it helps hold the back side in place.  

I know that the tactical gods are laughing at me.  I'm a true believe in "you get what you pay for".  I'm pretty sure this bug out bag is not made in the USA.  I used to play paintball, or should I say tried to get into paintball, but that lasted for only one winter season.  I invested a lot of money into this sport for such a short period that I ended up selling everything I had from it.  What was left was my mask and this paintball gun book bag.  I kept on thinking and thinking on what to do with it.  Debated whether or not I should attempt to turn it into survival gear.  The more I thought about it the closer I made my decision and sure enough I took the approach to end up looking like this.  It just made sense.  There were enough features about the bag that I considered useful.  I even ended up modifying it by taking out as much of the NXE logo I could, removed some useless straps to me, and made use of every compartment which were a lot of them.

Holy Ship that ammo box is just going to get heavier with every foot step...  Ditch it MRE are waterproof toss them in a small bag.  Think about where you are, where do you need to go to be safe, and how you want to travel.  Light and fast or are you planning to toss that into your car with the chance you may have to leave your car?
Link Posted: 4/27/2013 12:38:15 AM EDT
[#32]

I dig it, but it wouldn't be my first choice for a pack where I had to do a bit of hiking.

I run FAST packs for my EDC and travel--they're great as I'm sure you know. Hiking with them, however, SUCKS, big time. The shoulder straps are just not made for it. Too "long" from the pack to the tops of the shoulders (lack of support), without the ability to really snug them up tight enough to the body.

An 8 mile in, 8 mile out hike in Montana was brutal with 35 pounds (lots of camera gear).

Even a 6 mile in, 6 mile out hike in Arkansas was loaded to 20 pounds was pretty rough.

I think they're a good day pack, or super light load pack, but not a hiker. Do consider that if any amount of hiking or walking is in your SHTF plan.

Otherwise, really dig the setup!
Link Posted: 4/28/2013 11:25:02 PM EDT
[#33]
I'll go ahead and throw mine into the mix since I actually use mine relatively often.  Mine is the sole purpose for going 30 Miles to bug out A or 70 Miles to bug out location B.  As such I have tried to make it as modular as possible so it is simple to grab and go with what I need.

It's a Molle II Medium Ruck, it is the perfect size for just about anything.  Plus, I'm a big fan of external frames for carrying anything more than 25lbs or so.  Aslo, I chose the medium rather than the large for two reasons.  Reason 1) It has pockets for organization 2) anything bigger and I would be tempted to fill it further and it would become too heavy.  As it sits, it is 43.2lbs wet.  About 12lbs of that is water (most water will be consumed on the first day walking, I also have multiple planned places to get water along the way and should be able to get by with just refilling the two canteens on the way.)

Main compartment:
Compass and Map are left in Vehicle but will be added when BO happens (since my Jeep is always near me )
100oz Bladder
Katadyn Water Filter
Level 2 ECWCS Jacket
Poncho (doubles as tent when used with 550 cord)
Multicam Buttpouch (empty since it is no longer winter, used to hold Level 6 MC Jacked and Trousers)
Sleeping pad with the sides cut down to make it lighter and more mobile
2 Stripped down MRE's
2 freeze dried entrees
2 freeze dried granola breakfasts
60rds of 75gr BTHP 5.56
51rds of 9mm 115gr JHP
2 Pairs of wool socks and Level 1 ECWCS Silk Weight top and bottom
another 3 Pairs of socks (since no longer winter 2 pairs of these will be taken out)
Boot Sock Liner and White Sweat Wicking T shirt

Second Compartment:
Surefire 6PX (not shown)
3 MRE snacks (for quick easy access)
Spare Socks (for quick easy access)
Hat
Gold Bond Foot Powder (life saver)
The constitution and New Testament Bible
Water Filter for Bladder
Carmex
Vicks Vapor Inahler
Cortizone 10
Floss (more important than brushing...and lighter weight )
Two moist towelettes and two hand towels compressed
Esbit Stove w/4 fuel tabs for boiling water
Spare baggy
Electrical tape
Handkerchief  
Two can openers (for food found along the way)
Raided first aid kit for all the electrolyte, antiseptic, antacid, etc
2 sets of gloves
2 Sets of spare batteries for each light
Pen and Permanent marker (not shown)
50 Proof sunscreen (not shown)
5.56/9mm OTIS Cleaning Kit

Bottom Compartment:
CInch Tight
2 Izzy's
2 HH Gauze
Combat Gauze
Gloves
Booboo Kit stripped down with badaids, butterfly closures, MOLE SKIN (MUST HAVE FOR BLISTERS) and Space Blanket (used in conjunction with tent if sleeping bag is left at home)
Fire starter kit with water/wind proof matches, lighter, cord saw, lighter, candle, fire starting material
Coffee filter for using around water filter (keeps it unclogged for longer periods)
550 Cord wrapped in Duct Tape
Purification tablets for use in the 2 canteens
Camp Soap (nice to feel clean)
Squished Toilet Paper Roll

Outside Pouches
RAT-3 Fixed Blade
2 AR15 Mags with 75gr BTHP
2 Glock 17 Mags with 135gr +P Hornady Critical Duty 9mm
2 1qt Canteens (one with Gas Mask attachment and wind screen for esbit stove)

And of course, my EDC:
Glock 19 Exo with Triji HD Nights and Don't Tread On Me rear plate
Multicam Holster
Spare G17 Mag fueled by 135gr +P Hornady Critical Duty 9mm
Benchmade OTF Infidel Knife
Citizen Eco Drive Watch
Carmex
Streamlight PT2L
Crappy wallet from Target

Link Posted: 4/29/2013 12:55:05 PM EDT
[#34]

I'm in a simular situation. However, add the threat of -30 degrees F in the winter... Needless to say my BOB's change frequently with the seasons. I don't need extreme cold weather gear in August, but I better have it on me in Janurary incase my truck breaks down somewhere along the 45 minute drive home in the blizzard. Cell reception is hit and miss so the most likely scenario would be an hour walk until I could call someone to come help. However, if there is a breakdown in cell service I better be prepared. As far as weapons... a handgun is a necessity.. and seeing as how I share a lot in common with you I wouldn't have to worry about having one of those handy. An AR is also nice to have but I guess it depends... (not saying I dont have one)...

My plan, in case of a natural disaster or some other event, would be to get home first and foremost... gather stored items and head to the planned area where I would meet up with a group and our plan would kick into effect.

Link Posted: 5/13/2013 10:35:15 PM EDT
[#35]
Great thread, just found it.  I'll toss up some pics of my GHB and it's contents tomorrow.  I put it together when the Arab Spring BS started, been tinkering with it ever since and I use it almost everyday.  Hell I've even gotten my friends in on the action.  If any of you guys are on the fence about spending the coin to build a bag to get you where you NEED to be, now is the time.
Link Posted: 5/14/2013 3:17:32 AM EDT
[#36]
Id be really interested in seeing peoples urban / city bail out bags. IE you have to leave your house to go scavenge for food locally, but you live in a big city like LA, Dallas. Phoenix, Miami, (somewhere in the south)
Link Posted: 5/14/2013 5:44:27 AM EDT
[#37]

Originally Posted By HSPC:

Id be really interested in seeing peoples urban / city bail out bags. IE you have to leave your house to go scavenge for food locally, but you live in a big city like LA, Dallas. Phoenix, Miami, (somewhere in the south)

full rattle,6 other dudes i know i can trust and a good truck to haul our score.....

i dont think there will be much scavenging in those examples......

Link Posted: 5/16/2013 1:48:31 PM EDT
[#38]

If you are scavenging for food in a big city, you are liable to get shot for looting, methinks.  People don't take kindly to you just stealing stuff.

Now, if you mean getting food in a bad situation that hasn't gone mad max, I'd say concealed ballistic vest, pistol, EDC items, and a big backpack or duffel bag, assuming you don't have a car.

Link Posted: 5/17/2013 7:35:32 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By HermanSnerd:

Exterior:

What pack is that?

It's the tad gear fast pack edc.

Link Posted: 5/18/2013 10:26:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Half-Bear] [#40]

Link Posted: 5/27/2013 12:27:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Half-Bear] [#41]
Pack:

Pack cover:

Just the E&E items (First aid kit, E&E pouch, trauma kit, and base layers) with rolled pack underneath:

E&E items with pack unrolled:

BOB with E&E pack:
Link Posted: 7/2/2013 2:27:37 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By mayassa:
Originally Posted By DeluxeSupreme:

First aid kit
clean undershirt
clean boxers
2x clean pairs of socks
Mechanix gloves
Winter gloves
Earplugs with case
Identification tags
MRE entree's
Assorted snacks
Plastic bags
Ziploc bags
2x Kleenex tissue
Hand wipes
Hand sanitizer wipes
Hand sanitizer
Wipes for glasses
Binoculars
Bic lighter
Cammenga USGI compass
Zip ties
Writing tools

Gun oil
Glass optics cloth
Small white towel
Large brown towel
Insect repellant
550 Paracord
Rope
3 carabiners
Reflector PT belt
Spare assorted batteries

top view:
http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm175/deluxesupreme/IMG_20130403_231902_424_zps86d4680f.jpg

front view:
http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm175/deluxesupreme/IMG_20130404_241609_433_zps0789440e.jpg

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm175/deluxesupreme/IMG_20130404_241724_357_zps194149b5.jpg

left side:
http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm175/deluxesupreme/IMG_20130404_241746_542_zps8057be9a.jpg

back side:
http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm175/deluxesupreme/IMG_20130404_241759_547_zps793086f1.jpg

Holy Ship that ammo box is just going to get heavier with every foot step...  Ditch it MRE are waterproof toss them in a small bag.  Think about where you are, where do you need to go to be safe, and how you want to travel.  Light and fast or are you planning to toss that into your car with the chance you may have to leave your car?

A  Saw drum pouch works well too

Link Posted: 7/21/2013 9:39:22 PM EDT
[#43]
I haven't posted in this thread in a while and I changed out some gear.
Current set up.

Eberlestock Gunslinger 2 in Dry Earth.
Great size pack for my needs.

Has a Eureka Solitaire stored in the outside pocket. (Going for a bivy soon).

The top pocket:

Surefire Saint, Surefire 6P, Garmin Dakota, and Solio.

Med kit.( Getting a rip off pouch asap)

The pack is both a top loader and front.

The Red bags contents:
Sawyer squeeze system and a water bottle.

The blue bag contents:
Mountain House, Cliff bars, Oatmeal.

Cooking contents:
MSR Pocket Rocket and GSI Cookset.

Sleeping system:
Big Agnes Insulated Air Core pad and Suisse Sport 30 degree bag. (Decent for the money, but going for a down bag this fall)

The green bag contents:
Arcteryx Atom LT, smart wool socks, poncho, underwear, and shirts.

MISC items:
Rapdom gloves, DPX HEST, Rope, glasses, EXOTAC fire starter on sheath.

Not pictured is my fire kit which is in the top pocket, Sea To Summit pack cover, batteries, and my hydration bladder.

So far I really like this pack. Its overbuilt and very compact.
As it sits a SBR or folding rifle can be carried, but the scabbard folds out and a full size rifle can be carried.
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 11:17:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sirensong] [#44]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By protus:
full rattle,6 other dudes i know i can trust and a good truck to haul our score.....

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

pretty much this.  when it comes to a city, anything you might "scavenge" does not belong to you--this makes it some form of stealing, unless half the population is dead and you know for a fact that the place you're scavenging from is somehow unowned.  but i figure this would be pretty rare.  not going to go into the morality of the thing, but from a practical perspective, any such scavenging would mean a strong possibility of shooting and a good chance of dying.  so you'd have to have your priorities straight.

that being the case, if it came down to it and scavenging seemed to be the best option, then protus' method is pretty much the only way to go--as much force and carrying capacity as you can muster.  anything else would be resource-inefficient and asking for trouble.

Link Posted: 7/22/2013 10:23:53 AM EDT
[#45]

View All Quotes

"Scavenging" is too politically correct. Just call it looting and be done with it...
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 12:05:17 AM EDT
[#46]
I've read about half this thread and going to continue reading through. After reading about half this thread and then evaluating my BOB (Work in progress), I have a question about ammo. My BOB stays in my truck a majority of the time and I'm curious to how much ammo and/or magazines I should keep in it? I'm not sure how much I can legally carry. Thanks for any responses. I'll try to get some pictures of my BOB this weekend.
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 12:33:49 AM EDT
[#47]

"Scavenging" is too politically correct. Just call it looting and be done with it...
View All Quotes

it's more complicated than that, but i don't want to derail this incredibly useful thread.  if someone thinks it's worthy of discussion, start a thread (but lemme know because i don't surf SF much anymore).  basically, think of a hungry man walking by an apple tree.  

but from a purely BOB/GHB perspective, protus has the best answer to the question HSPC asked--for urban scavenging, bring a basic combat load of friends with guns and trucks instead of a backpack full of survival gear.
Link Posted: 8/16/2013 9:50:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BookerDewitt] [#48]
Hey Guys NOOB here,

Just starting my BOB i have a long way to go. two questions any/all feed back desired. i think i have read and viewed a good amount of  set ups in this thread i think are top notch
but had two questions.

One- I have a family, Mrs Dewitt and mini Dewitt(5) i am making them  bags as well and was wondering if your systems incorporate components that can be used in conjunction with the other bags in the system
Example.... a lantern of decent size or maybe a hammock.I completely understand these are useful and can add comfort ln a SHTF but not essential. these may be bad examples but i think you get it. I was wondering if i had the basics covered if they would have room for things that were not considered a need. OR if i should duplicate things like  more food,ammo, extra tarps, batteries as they would already have these but there is never enough.

Two- Has anyone added any zip tie riot style hand cuffs to their system?? i seen some on amazon and thought they might be useful and add almost no weight.

http://www.amazon.com/Safariland-Restraints-Double-Disposable-Handcuffs/dp/B001UAUS5G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1376704515&sr=8-1&keywords=zip+tie+handcuffs

Again thanks for the feedback.
Link Posted: 8/16/2013 11:00:44 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By BookerDewitt:
Hey Guys NOOB here,

Just starting my BOB i have a long way to go. two questions any/all feed back desired. i think i have read and viewed a good amount of  set ups in this thread i think are top notch
but had two questions.

One- I have a family, Mrs Dewitt and mini Dewitt(5) i am making them  bags as well and was wondering if your systems incorporate components that can be used in conjunction with the other bags in the system
Example.... a lantern of decent size or maybe a hammock.I completely understand these are useful and can add comfort ln a SHTF but not essential. these may be bad examples but i think you get it. I was wondering if i had the basics covered if they would have room for things that were not considered a need. OR if i should duplicate things like  more food,ammo, extra tarps, batteries as they would already have these but there is never enough.

Two- Has anyone added any zip tie riot style hand cuffs to their system?? i seen some on amazon and thought they might be useful and add almost no weight.

<a href="http://s1283.photobucket.com/user/BookerDewitt30/media/ziptiecuffs_zpse2df5cd4.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/a543/BookerDewitt30/ziptiecuffs_zpse2df5cd4.jpg</a>

http://www.amazon.com/Safariland-Restraints-Double-Disposable-Handcuffs/dp/B001UAUS5G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1376704515&sr=8-1&keywords=zip+tie+handcuffs

Again thanks for the feedback.
View Quote

True flex cuffs are kinda limited in uses compared to keeping large zip ties in your kit, and a lot of the brands are tough to fold over or lay flat with that kinda design.  With zip ties you can lock two loops together to use as cuffs if you need to, and they are far more versatile than flex cuffs.  My two cents about it
Link Posted: 8/16/2013 11:42:59 PM EDT
[#50]
yes they are bulky I figured hanging them on the outside of my pack tied together. but yea i guess i could make them with regular zip ties if i needed to thanks
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 24
Tacked BOB what it should be. (Page 1 of 24)
Top Top