Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/21/2017 9:26:29 PM EDT
Felt one up at Home Depot, sure had a good feel to it. A nice sharp fat wedge on that thing. Seemed a bit on the short side, but I know nothing.

Good buy for just under $40?
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 9:32:53 PM EDT
[#1]
I like mine, I have a 36". I can outsplit a maul, but that isn't too hard to do.

What I got...
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 9:36:55 PM EDT
[#2]
I have the falling axe.  It's GTG.

Are you sure you were looking at the splitting axe?  They are pretty long...my falling axe is just a bit short for safe splitting.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 9:43:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Are you sure you were looking at the splitting axe?  They are pretty long...my falling axe is just a bit short for safe splitting.
View Quote

I could have sworn it said splitting axe, but it just seemed short for a regular axe. It did have the wedge head though and I marveled at the sharpness of the edge.

I admit I was a bot distracted by all the super cool stuff in the hammer/axe/crowbar aisle at Home Depot though...
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 10:31:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 11:36:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I like mine, I have a 36". I can outsplit a maul, but that isn't too hard to do.

What I got...
View Quote

That's the same one I bought three years ago, I solely heat with wood, I bring wood home in rounds or if  large 1/2 rounds, I burn through 6-7 cords per winter so I do use it quite a bit.

When I first got it at times I'd be lazy and smack it with a sledge instead of putting it aside and using a wedge with an 8# sledge.  The back half is mushroomed almost as if it wasn't tempered correctly.

It's a good splitting axe as long as that's what you use it for, don't use the back to whack a wedge, or use it as a splitting wedge.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 11:43:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote
I just looked at the Home Depot site and they show several models (of different lengths) all called "splitting axe".
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 11:47:19 PM EDT
[#7]
I have an older Fiskers chopping axe, which I love. We really only use it camping (shockingly, not a lot of trees to worry about) and it always gets the job done.

I have a pair of wedges and a sledge I use for splitting.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 12:14:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Paging @batmancw  your expertise in needed here.

I sent up the bat signal. Now we wait.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 12:42:15 AM EDT
[#9]
I own one. Maybe not the splitting one, but whatever. Use it camping and stuff, it's okay.

Loaned it to a buddy for camping. I'm 5'6" works great for me. He is 6'whatever.

In his whiskey induced state he was chopping a log and chopped his ankle. Lots of stitches and lots of limping later we learned full length axes won't let you ax yourself.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 12:47:06 AM EDT
[#10]
I have the x27 for splitting and x7 hatchet for kindling. I love them both.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 7:16:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 11:40:39 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 2:09:02 AM EDT
[#13]
hows the warranty on these things?
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 9:16:06 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Paging @batmancw  your expertise in needed here.

I sent up the bat signal. Now we wait.
View Quote

This  
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 10:16:29 AM EDT
[#15]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top