Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/22/2016 7:10:18 AM EDT
Anyone have any experience with any kind of Ipad/tablet device using mapping software? I am looking for satellite images overlaid with topography on a device that could save the images and not need an internet connection. I have used google earth but would love to get something with grid lines on the image itself. Any info is appreciated.

Link Posted: 8/22/2016 7:54:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Try Tactical NAV.  I just download the google earth maps to it.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 1:36:02 PM EDT
[#2]
I use and highly recommend the Gaia Topo bundle.

https://www.gaiagps.com/apps/ios/
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 8:36:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the suggestions so far guys. Reading into them now. Also, if anyone has experience we are going to be doing a kayaking and camping trip. This is where I want to use this program so obvious waterproofing is required, any suggestions? I realize topography is not needed on water but if this works like I hope I have some hiking trips where I would like to use it further down the road. This is why being to use it "off-line" is important, there wont be internet (can't wait!) Thanks again.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 8:45:24 PM EDT
[#4]
I really like GaiaGPS personally. Get that and the high end map pack that's offered then just pinch and swipe your way to gigs worth of downloadable Topo maps. Only downside is the cost, at $45-50 plus when you figure in the map service. But it's the easiest to use and the best constructed.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 3:32:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Another fan of GaiaGPS.
Decided to try it after my Garmin eTrex died on me. Haven't found a need to go back to a regular GPS.
I carry one of those external phone charger batteries in my pack in the event I am out much longer than planned.

I don't turn it on and leave it on all the time, I typically stop, drop a waypoint or get a fix and then keep moving. My iPhone5 will run all day without a recharge using this method and airline mode.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 12:36:47 AM EDT
[#6]
I recently downloaded MotionX for my iPad. It allows downloading maps so it can be used with wifi iPads.
Haven't used it in the wild, just started playing around with it.

There are several YouTube videos on it.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 12:00:53 AM EDT
[#7]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I recently downloaded MotionX for my iPad. It allows downloading maps so it can be used with wifi iPads.Haven't used it in the wild, just started playing around with it.

There are several YouTube videos on it.

View Quote

Messing around myself on your recommendation and one or two youtubes.

It comes with a wide array of maps, imagery for online use.  For offline use, only the MotionX flavors are available (3 types--terrain, road and something else).  For an extra $5, you can add additional map servers for both online and offline use, which opens up pretty much anything.  Looks like it should fit the bill pretty well.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 8:40:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I really like GaiaGPS personally. Get that and the high end map pack that's offered then just pinch and swipe your way to gigs worth of downloadable Topo maps. Only downside is the cost, at $45-50 plus when you figure in the map service. But it's the easiest to use and the best constructed.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Another fan of GaiaGPS.
Decided to try it after my Garmin eTrex died on me. Haven't found a need to go back to a regular GPS.
I carry one of those external phone charger batteries in my pack in the event I am out much longer than planned.

I don't turn it on and leave it on all the time, I typically stop, drop a waypoint or get a fix and then keep moving. My iPhone5 will run all day without a recharge using this method and airline mode.

I agree with these two.  You can install it across multiple iDevices on your iTunes account with one purchase also.  So you can use it on your iPad at home and with your iPhone on the trail for example.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 9:29:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Ive been looking at hunt gps.   Its a little pricy at $30 per state, but it has land ownership information as well.

hunt gps
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 12:51:05 PM EDT
[#10]
I have the Trimble outdoors app and it works great. Allows me to store maps for offline usage too. I think you can get a free trial one?
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 9:29:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Thank you everyone. Anyone had luck with a tablet that wasn't an Ipad? I use a surface and love it but would love to hear others opinions.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 9:58:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 1:05:51 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The URL should explain it well enough: http://www.outdoors.org/articles/amc-outdoors/nearly-every-usgs-topo-map-ever-made/ for free
View Quote

I like free
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 6:57:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Check this out! Natgeo map all their maps free to print http://www.natgeomaps.com/trail-maps/pdf-quads
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 1:34:01 AM EDT
[#15]
for ~$3 get MotionX GPS

Absolutely the best reason to have a smartphone.

Overlays 2 dozen map types, you can precache maps then go offline and you and your maps show up.

Worth $500
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top