Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/13/2015 4:42:40 AM EDT
So I'm startig to think I might be getting a little carried away with my ammunition load out as it is beginning to push 15 pounds.  So how many magazines do the rest of you keep loaded and ready in your kits?
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 7:01:46 AM EDT
[#1]
I assume you meant just 5.56............because 6.8, 10mm, etc.........
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 7:24:43 AM EDT
[#2]
I voted 8-10... Because ive got two kits

1 light weight pc with 3,  and another with 6.

As with the fp, this is just 5.56/.223, not pistol.  Which would add at least two more to each carrier.

Link Posted: 4/13/2015 7:34:27 AM EDT
[#3]
More than 15
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 7:54:19 AM EDT
[#4]
I have two sets ready to roll out. about 8 mags per set.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 8:00:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I assume you meant just 5.56............because 6.8, 10mm, etc.........
View Quote

Correct.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 9:06:28 AM EDT
[#6]
for hurricane evacuation, 2 loaded mags and a GI bandoleer loaded with stripper clips.... probably a dozen or so empty mags, but I don't plan on leaving
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 10:36:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Was counting just for the AR, which is 4 plus what is in the rifle.

But I don't plan on going anywhere.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 10:38:31 AM EDT
[#8]
all my mags are ready
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 10:45:19 AM EDT
[#9]
One for the rifle for HD purposes...a few for whichever handgun is out of the safe for the same purpose.  I forsee absolutely no instances where I can't pick and choose what I'm going to need to take with me.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 11:05:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
all my mags are ready
View Quote

Mine too. They're empty tho...

Link Posted: 4/13/2015 11:33:19 AM EDT
[#11]
pretty much none. i have several loaded handgun mags, and a bandoleer of slugs and buckshot..... but only maybe 1-2 30 rd ar mags loaded.  

i figure.

1. if something that serious were to happen, where i needed more than 1-2 ar mags, 2-4 handgun mags, and 50 rounds of buck / slugs, id probably be able to load more during a lull... or be dead. most likely dead.  
2. i have no where to bug out too, and have no intention of bugging out anyway... and we are not prone to disasters here.
3. i imagine if i were to need a pile of mags... id get some warning from the news, unrest, riots, aliens, etc. then be able to load everything, for everyone, and install caltrops, and barbed wire.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 11:46:51 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
pretty much none. i have several loaded handgun mags, and a bandoleer of slugs and buckshot..... but only maybe 1-2 30 rd ar mags loaded.  

i figure.

1. if something that serious were to happen, where i needed more than 1-2 ar mags, 2-4 handgun mags, and 50 rounds of buck / slugs, id probably be able to load more during a lull... or be dead. most likely dead.  
2. i have no where to bug out too, and have no intention of bugging out anyway... and we are not prone to disasters here.
3. i imagine if i were to need a pile of mags... id get some warning from the news, unrest, riots, aliens, etc. then be able to load everything, for everyone, and install caltrops, and barbed wire.
View Quote

Eggs-actly.

One or two wherever, is prolly enough.

Could be exceptions...

Link Posted: 4/13/2015 11:59:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Eggs-actly.

Could be exceptions...

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

i figure.

Eggs-actly.

Could be exceptions...

unless we had bears..... if we had bears id have boxes of mags loaded.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 12:10:56 PM EDT
[#14]
I also have a similar setup and philosophy.  2 rifle mags and 2 handgun mags.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 2:42:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Not to many.
I already bugged out.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 2:52:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

i figure.

Eggs-actly.

Could be exceptions...

But I'm such a soft, cudly Bear --- I love you long time!

Link Posted: 4/13/2015 3:36:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

i figure.

Eggs-actly.

Could be exceptions...

I betcha you have bears at the new place...

Link Posted: 4/13/2015 3:41:37 PM EDT
[#18]
All my mags are loaded, except for a few dumped in the range bag.  It's not as if it's that hard to top one off.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 3:46:26 PM EDT
[#19]
I do have some brand new in wrap mags that have never been opened.  They are buried somewhere and just cheaply bought mags I don't really need.

I can generally go hit the range with my rifles and not need to reload magazines while there if it is just me shooting for a while.

If taking a course or going with others then yeah I might need to load some mags at the range.  Depends what I took.

When I get home I reload those mags so they are ready to do.  Now if a mag got dirty or muddy or maybe had issues and got set aside it sits on the coffee table til I take it apart while watching a tv show or something and I clean the mag or try to figure out its problem.

Once done, mag gets loaded unless I deem it a problem and then it gets put in the problem mag section for later attention.

Keeping my mags loaded allows me to have more room for ammo storage in the bulk area.

I have done enough reading I decided mag springs wear out from use and not being compressed, unless the design is poor and then they wear out quickly and need replaced with a better product.

If walking, not taking much.

Taking vehicle or vehicle and trailer or having people swing by to bulk up their loadout in some areas they are deficient, I don't know numbers but I aim to bitch about lack of room rather than wish I brought one more 30 cal ammo can full of loaded fal mags.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 4:34:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
all my mags are ready
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/13/2015 4:45:51 PM EDT
[#21]
15 because that is how many fit in the box.

Link Posted: 4/13/2015 5:35:48 PM EDT
[#22]
87, give or take a few
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 5:50:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
15 because that is how many fit in the box.

http://blog.cheaperthandirt.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/7-TMC15-400x400.jpg

View Quote

You can fit way more with no foam. They aren't glass. I keep 28 pmags or 32 usgi in a saw can.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 6:08:42 PM EDT
[#24]
???

All of mine are loaded all of the time.  Why wouldn't they be.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 6:34:41 PM EDT
[#25]
I am counting the loaded mags stacked standing in fat fifty ammo cans.

Link Posted: 4/13/2015 7:00:05 PM EDT
[#26]
I have 1k of Priv 5.56 loaded on mags plus another 5-6 loaded mag for some reason.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 7:03:41 PM EDT
[#27]

If I need to go I'll grab an ammo can of 5.56 on strippers.
The rest of my mags are largely in bandoleers and on my LBE.
So that 2 count can increase very quickly.

Only way I see needing more than 2 immediately is a major civil disturbance, in which case I would have already upped the count.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 8:15:52 PM EDT
[#28]
I keep 4 magazines for each AR15 and AK rifles, loaded and ready to go on a short notice. I have two bandoliers from different manufacturers. Each bandolier holds 4 magazines.
AK is the primary survival gun if all h*ll breaks loose. My AR is equipped with a digital Day/Night scope. I also keep four, ready to go Glock 21 magazines, each loaded with 12 rounds of .45 ACP for my Glock 30.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 9:03:51 PM EDT
[#29]
We had a thread here in SF 3-4 years ago that dealt with loading up a Pelican 1150 case with PMags. It can fit 6 30-round PMags loaded very snugly. I made one of these for each vehicle. I also made one to grab at the house.  In addition, I have 4 complete BOBs (Fat50 cans) that must have 4 or 5 loaded PMags in them also (in addition to a lot of other stuff.) These sit in the pantry, next to the garage exit, and in the garage.

I kind of went nuts when I got a couple of vac sealers years ago. Everything is vac packed with a strategic pre-cut slit for easy/quick opening. I know, call me silly, but it sure was fun doing it all.

The Pelican boxes were pretty cheap, and work well.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 9:15:43 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

i figure.

View Quote

But, keeping your mags loaded reduces the amount of time spent loading when you get to the range. It's not as if keeping them loaded is going to hurt them. After all, you're hopefully a lot more likely to go to the range than you are to need them for a disaster.

I'd estimate that about 120 or so of my 180-ish AR mags are loaded.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 10:10:07 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

But, keeping your mags loaded reduces the amount of time spent loading when you get to the range. It's not as if keeping them loaded is going to hurt them. After all, you're hopefully a lot more likely to go to the range than you are to need them for a disaster.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

i figure.

I'm alright with that...makes the ammo last a bit longer.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 11:12:17 PM EDT
[#32]
2 EDC handgun mags loaded nothing else loaded.

Link Posted: 4/13/2015 11:24:37 PM EDT
[#33]
2 rigs set up with 6 30rd mags each, plus a few .50 ammo cans with loaded stripper clips and spoons.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 11:32:56 PM EDT
[#34]
I travel with 4 magazines for the rifle loaded and two loaded pistol mags.

Extra ammo and mags are spread out.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 8:37:15 AM EDT
[#35]
Over 30, loaded ar mags
Prolly 20 ak mags loaded.
A dozen or more pistol mags loaded
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 9:31:35 AM EDT
[#36]
I keep all of mine loaded. It's an excellent way to store ammo.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 2:18:17 PM EDT
[#37]
I am the family BOL. I have WAY over 15 loaded mags at any one time. I shoot several times a week, so they get filled on a regular basis.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 4:57:27 PM EDT
[#38]
I have more than necessary, but they're not 'bugout' shtf magazines. They're just magazines that are loaded rather than empty.

Not all mags are loaded; probably not one-fourth of them. But definitely more than I could possibly expect to live thru using in some 'grab & go' emergency.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 5:08:28 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
So I'm startig to think I might be getting a little carried away with my ammunition load out as it is beginning to push 15 pounds.  So how many magazines do the rest of you keep loaded and ready in your kits?
View Quote

kits...?

explain.

mine are all empty. If I need them I load em up.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 5:10:25 PM EDT
[#40]
If we count Garand clips in this total, I am in triple digits. Some of my 7.62mm cans are full of '06, and paint-markered 35X8 on the ends.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 7:40:33 PM EDT
[#41]
I have:

A battle belt with 7 AR mags and 3 Glock mags.

A chest rig with another 8 AR mags and 4 Glock mags.

My CCW bag has a Glock 19 with 3 mags.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 8:14:12 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
???

View Quote

As are mine, the question is how many are you planning to take with you on your person.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 8:21:10 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

kits...?

explain.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

kits...?

explain.

Meaning loaded into an LBV, carrier, or bag of some kind that are meant to carry on you for immediate use in an emergency.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 10:41:53 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm a reloader and have ammo, components, guns and magazines all over the place, but I don't bother loading up most of them.  I have a half dozen loaded up for particular guns nearby and leave it at that.

Chris
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 11:42:15 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Meaning loaded into an LBV, carrier, or bag of some kind that are meant to carry on you for immediate use in an emergency.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

kits...?

explain.

The 2 pmags and 2 pistol mags in my "battle belt" stay loaded, and that's my primary training tool.

I have a PC with 4 loaded pmags and 1 loaded pistol mag that I'm hoping to start training with at my next carbine class.

If I have to leave the house, in the time it would take the kids to get their shoes on, grab a jacket and jump in the truck I can put 4-5,000 rounds and 100+ mags in the bed.  Dragging the rifles out of the safe would take longer, but my two suppressed SBR's are more readily available.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 12:21:20 AM EDT
[#46]
In home invasion fire fights that we know of from the media, has there ever been a need for reloading?

We've had members here who survived these breakins/invasions and fought off the aggressors with fewer than 10 shots.

We had posters who were in New Orleans during Katrina who never fired their AK or ARs despite having them. Others reported sleeping in hammocks with loaded shot guns but again not needing to actually fire them.

In the LA riots the roof Koreans with rifles and shot guns fired how many shots again? The only footage I've ever seen was of the Korean dudes firing pistols.

So I can't imagine needing more than 2 mags of anything "ready to go". It makes sense to have 50 to 100 rounds in a BOB or GHB. But even there the goal is to evade and get to safety, not engage in firefights.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 12:51:20 AM EDT
[#47]
Still in boxes?

Loaded in range bags?

Loaded stacked in cans?

In my car?

Why do you want to know.

Txl
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 1:02:54 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

As are mine, the question is how many are you planning to take with you on your person.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
???

Are you guys crazy  There goes your springs....they will "set" and then not work when you need them most.....Unload them all now!!

Link Posted: 4/17/2015 7:55:21 AM EDT
[#49]
I have ONE

Seven - Round - Mag

Because my state gub-mint knows best....

Link Posted: 4/17/2015 8:00:54 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I have ONE

Seven - Round - Mag

Because my state gub-mint knows best....

View Quote

A fellow from your state moved to south Brewster county and may now haz 2 boxes of ammo...I seen it on Utoob

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top