Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/15/2014 7:10:27 PM EDT
I'm not sure if it was someone on this forum or somewhere else but somewhere along the line I saw a video clip of how they "wipe" in India.  Basically you squat over the hole and then use a cup to trickle water down and wash off.  They say it works pretty well although I've never tried it.  I'm just thinking (so long as it's not freezing out which would make it pretty unpleasant) this might be something to look at if TP is not available.  Rain water, melted snow, etc. should be fine to use so long as there's no issue of contamination.  

Thoughts?...Experience?

Thanks

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 7:21:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Snow balls.

Link Posted: 12/15/2014 7:26:53 PM EDT
[#2]

fed by rain water.... hmmm could be doable
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 7:27:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Snow balls.

View Quote

You serious Clark

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 7:28:18 PM EDT
[#4]

Then you'd have to worry about pressurizing it...no?

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 7:31:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

-Emt1581
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

-Emt1581

collection tank on the roof/up high could maybe do it?

you can always just wipe with your hand then wash your hands.... disgusting? sure...better than nothing - of course!
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 7:33:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

You serious Clark

-Emt1581
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Snow balls.

You serious Clark

-Emt1581

Serious as a heart attack. They work very well. Albeit cold. I still carry tp in the winter but a snow ball is usually first in line due to convenience.

Link Posted: 12/15/2014 7:41:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah that might work.  And it probably work well for the rest of the houses water provided you had a way to replenish the tank(s).

Plus how would that that be for luxury during a SHTF!!  "Oh...that sucks, you ran out of TP. Care to use our bidet?"

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 7:43:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Historically the Romans used salt water and a sponge. I'm there could be modifications of it to suit personal tastes..............
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 7:44:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Yeah that might work.  And it probably work well for the rest of the houses water provided you had a way to replenish the tank(s).

Plus how would that that be for luxury during a SHTF!!  "Oh...that sucks, you ran out of TP. Care to use our bidet?"

-Emt1581
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

-Emt1581

charge admission!
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 7:46:42 PM EDT
[#10]
I find it difficult to imagine a situation where water would be less valuable than scrap paper/cloth/rags/phonebooks/leaves/towel/anything else. There are so many things that can potentially be used for TP that I just don't see the attraction - especially when you consider the overall hygienic impact. Consider that you are essentially "wiping" with your hand and then rinsing off in a communal water bucket (using the India example). A little trickle of water, absent friction, isn't going to be very effective. Even with a bidet, you don't just pull your pants up over your wet posterior.

Wiping or drying of some kind is pretty much a requirement if you want to maintain first-world-type sanitary conditions. In a survival (or even a camping) situation, long-term sanitation is key and the combination of wasted water and repeated hand/ass contact is asking for trouble in my opinion. While you will obviously need to wash yourself thoroughly at some point, better the occasional washing with the attendant clean-up afterwards than trying to disinfect your hands after each "episode".

Just my $.02

ETA: I'd be lyin' if I said that I never used a snowball out in the woods as a Scout. Haven't thought of that in years...

Link Posted: 12/15/2014 7:51:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I find it difficult to imagine a situation where water would be less valuable than scrap paper/cloth/rags/phonebooks/leaves/towel/anything else. There are so many things that can potentially be used for TP that I just don't see the attraction - especially when you consider the overall hygienic impact. Consider that you are essentially "wiping" with your hand and then rinsing off in a communal water bucket (using the India example). A little trickle of water, absent friction, isn't going to be very effective. Even with a bidet, you don't just pull your pants up over your wet posterior.

Wiping or drying of some kind is pretty much a requirement if you want to maintain first-world-type sanitary conditions. In a survival (or even a camping) situation, long-term sanitation is key and the combination of wasted water and repeated hand/ass contact is asking for trouble in my opinion. While you will obviously need to wash yourself thoroughly at some point, better the occasional washing with the attendant clean-up afterwards than trying to disinfect your hands after each "episode".

Just my $.02

ETA: I'd be lyin' if I said that I never used a snowball out in the woods. Haven't thought of that in years...
View Quote

I dunno about that.  I mean I've never used a bidet but several countries have them and next to them is just a washcloth (I'm assuming to dry off) so they must be pretty effective.  

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 7:52:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

charge admission!
View Quote

Haha!  

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 7:55:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I dunno about that.  I mean I've never used a bidet but several countries have them and next to them is just a washcloth (I'm assuming to dry off) so they must be pretty effective.  

-Emt1581
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just my $.02

ETA: I'd be lyin' if I said that I never used a snowball out in the woods. Haven't thought of that in years...

-Emt1581

In a modern setting, I completely agree but the washcloth is key. It's also nice knowing that you have plenty of soap and water available to wash up before grabbing dinner. That may not be the case in a survival/camping situation.

Link Posted: 12/15/2014 8:14:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Hose mounted showerhead...cranked to pulsate...hop in bend over and spread em...so clean you squeak when you walk....as for the toilet the wet wipes tend to work better than tp
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 1:13:09 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Hose mounted showerhead...cranked to pulsate...hop in bend over and spread em...so clean you squeak when you walk....as for the toilet the wet wipes tend to work better than tp
View Quote
That made me lol, but all too true!

Link Posted: 12/16/2014 1:26:09 AM EDT
[#16]
Some of the places that I shat in The Philippines were pretty nasty. They did the hole in the floor and bowl of water from God only knows what source. Korea was foul as hell too, and Japan often wasn't much better. I carried napkins in my pockets, all over the far east just for such emergencies.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 1:50:55 AM EDT
[#17]

Sycamore leaves (fuzzy underneath-side)....or any large leaf. "Butt" stay away from the Poison Oak and Ivy leaves --- DOH!
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 2:35:35 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

-Emt1581
View All Quotes
Quoted:

-Emt1581

And warm soapy water.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 2:49:27 AM EDT
[#19]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

-Emt1581

http://i1276.photobucket.com/albums/y479/LoathsomeDove/pumpsprayer_zps4727da89.jpg

And warm soapy water.

I have heard of people using this set up with some success, also as an improvised shower as well. For the shower they painted it black and left it in the sun to warm it. Seems like the route I would take for long term sanitation.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 6:32:20 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I'm not sure if it was someone on this forum or somewhere else but somewhere along the line I saw a video clip of how they "wipe" in India.  Basically you squat over the hole and then use a cup to trickle water down and wash off.  They say it works pretty well although I've never tried it.  I'm just thinking (so long as it's not freezing out which would make it pretty unpleasant) this might be something to look at if TP is not available.  Rain water, melted snow, etc. should be fine to use so long as there's no issue of contamination.  

Thoughts?...Experience?

Thanks

-Emt1581
View Quote

The french call it a bidet (pronounced: bid-day) they have used them in France about as long as the flush toilet has been around.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bidet
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 7:07:06 AM EDT
[#22]
My last deployment allowed me to see the aftermath of the "Turkish Ass Cleaning" operation...it's not pretty.  They use plastic flower pots and do their thing.  I don't know how they do it, but there is shit-water all over the walls in the porto-john when they're finished; it's not a pretty sight.  Reminds me of seeing how a Hippo takes a crap...

A older vet who's doing more AT hiking is using a small hand-held, rubber squeeze ball.  He sucks water into it and uses hand pressure to spray the water out to simulate a hand-held bidet.  I'm not sold on it, but it's an option to consider if other options are not available.  I think for those with limited water sources also need to consider other options.  Snowballs work but you won't linger doing your clean up business.

ROCK6

Link Posted: 12/16/2014 7:29:45 AM EDT
[#23]
Piece of cloth.

Wipe your ass with cloth, then clean cloth with water.

Repeat as needed.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 11:28:18 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Piece of cloth.

Wipe your ass with cloth, then clean cloth with water.

Repeat as needed.
View Quote
This is our post SHTF strategy too.

Really the same as cloth diapering, which we have been doing LONG before commercial TP was around. Actually, damp cloth would clean better than dry Charmin anyway.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 12:39:58 PM EDT
[#25]
Do some research into third world countries.  Lots of places still use squat toilets which are not only healthier for you but you don't get as messy (the toilet is often messier though as their diets tend to give them looser bowel movements and some of the people are just sloppy- just as we have folks who make a mess).  There is a slight learning curve for most westerners but it's not hard provided your knees aren't shot.  There is usually a wand of some sort or a bucket with a dipper in it.  The wand is self explanatory although the dipper is probably cleaner; I'll let you Google the bucket and dipper.  Most Asians carry a small pack of tissues with them for drying off as most toilets don't provide any.  Moving your water source to the roof is a time tested method of getting enough pressure to flush the toilet or shower and is still in use in many places around the world.

Added some links for you:
How to Use a Squat Toilet
Using An Asian Toilet
How to Shit Around the World: The Art of Staying Clean and Healthy While Traveling
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 11:41:01 PM EDT
[#26]
$20-30 worth of wet wipes or baby wipes would go a very long way. The Cottonele(sp) flushable wipes are the best. Just keeping 12-18 refill packs of wipes. When our son was younger the cases of baby wipes where cheap, it was the diapers that where costly.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 11:52:46 PM EDT
[#27]
Spent most of the last year working in Kurdistan.
Spent much time with "eastern" bathrooms.
A squat hole and pitcher of water or attached to the wall was a sprayer.

Millions of people have been living like this for centuries.

Just make sure you wash up.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 5:06:56 AM EDT
[#28]
Get one of these and reduce your toilet paper use dramatically.  Pretty inexpensive device for how well it works.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 7:14:34 AM EDT
[#29]
If there is an unlimited source of water this could be a decent form of sanitation.

The main problems I see with it is it is very water intensive and a greater hand hygiene risk. It would be super easy to spread disease if one was not careful and did not wash their hands well. At least with TP there is marginal physical barrier.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 12:25:22 PM EDT
[#30]
Squatting is supposed to be much easier on your system, but there's a small learning curve for Westerners.

A bidet is MUCH easier on the ol' cornhole than dragging dry paper across it.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 1:47:23 PM EDT
[#31]
Howard Stern claimed in his first book that over-wiping caused hemorrhoids and getting in the shower to properly scrub it out was key to preventing this.

I know he's goofy and perverse, but I think he's on to something.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 11:01:13 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Get one of these and reduce your toilet paper use dramatically.  Pretty inexpensive device for how well it works.
View Quote
We have one installed on all of our toilets. If I'm out on the town and have to go, I will hold it until I get home if I can. I have become that dependent on it.

Link Posted: 12/17/2014 11:54:31 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
We have one installed on all of our toilets. If I'm out on the town and have to go, I will hold it until I get home if I can. I have become that dependent on it.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't you have to install a hot water line to though?

I always said I'd install a bidet but the house we bought only has room for one near the toilet in the basement.  However, one of these that attach to the seat would work.  

EDIT:  Nope no hot water line and it looks like it runs off of batteries.  So I guess you have to hope that no one else flushed the line bringing in freezing water and a low battery.

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 4:51:45 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I always said I'd install a bidet but the house we bought only has room for one near the toilet in the basement.  However, one of these that attach to the seat would work.  

EDIT:  Nope no hot water line and it looks like it runs off of batteries.  So I guess you have to hope that no one else flushed the line bringing in freezing water and a low battery.

-Emt1581
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

-Emt1581

There is a hot water one available but we have the cold water only version.  I bet the warm water would be nice but you'd have to run it for awhile to get the warm water actually to it. The cold water is actually pretty refreshing....especially nice in summer but in winter, it's not bad either.  We really like ours and will have one in the next house.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 8:02:26 AM EDT
[#35]
Just use the 3 sea shells.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 8:44:51 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Just use the 3 sea shells.
View Quote

That right there is funny!

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 8:46:53 AM EDT
[#37]

There is a hot water one available but we have the cold water only version.  I bet the warm water would be nice but you'd have to run it for awhile to get the warm water actually to it. The cold water is actually pretty refreshing....especially nice in summer but in winter, it's not bad either.  We really like ours and will have one in the next house.
View Quote

Oh ok.  For $30 maybe ill give it a try.  Any tips on adjusting the aim?

Thanks

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 2:12:19 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Thanks

-Emt1581
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Thanks

-Emt1581

Just attach it with the spray nozzle all the way back against the toilet bowl.  

It's worth the $30 IMO.  My wife and I really like ours.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 4:35:37 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

-Emt1581

Agreed. After your first couple of uses the cold water is an afterthought and isnt the least bit unpleasant. And to EMT there are no batteries needed for the luxebidet. This is the $30 cure for hemorrhoids. Well of course it depends on how bad they ae, but i no longer get flareups unless i go out of town and use hotel toiletpaper... lol

Link Posted: 12/19/2014 4:37:03 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks

-Emt1581

You adjust the aim by rocking forward or backward.

Link Posted: 12/19/2014 9:28:01 AM EDT
[#41]
there is a reason why folks living in the sandbox don't shake hands, or handle food with the left hand.  
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 4:12:07 PM EDT
[#42]
My hemroids are flaring up just from reading this...  
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 4:55:25 PM EDT
[#43]
Or, today, while there is no emergency, go to the store and buy $100 worth of TP. Place anywhere dry and out of the way. Be done with it.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 5:06:13 PM EDT
[#44]
Could always put water in one of these and squeeze to spray it out.

Link Posted: 12/19/2014 5:15:25 PM EDT
[#45]
I hate toilet paper, wipes are the way to go. When I'm in the woods I carry a wash rag. Just wet with some water before and rinse after. It works very well and a lot cheaper that installing a bidet...
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 12:57:38 PM EDT
[#46]
So the Luxe 110 is $30...the Luxe 120 is $45...Is the self-cleaning head worth the extra $15?

I'm going to definitely order one.  The paper savings alone will be worth it.

EDIT:  I will say this thread didn't go where I figured it would...but that turned out to be a good thing.  But in a SHTF situation, you'd still need pressurized water to make this work.  Without that it's useless.  So we'd be back to the cup/bucket.  

Thanks

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 11:53:38 PM EDT
[#47]
Well a little update...

I'm going to be ordering the 120.  Seems like the ability to clean the head/nozzle without using my hands would be worth it.  Amazon has them for $39 so that's not too bad.  

I talked to my wife about installing one tonight.  She said it was a waste, that I must be obsessed with my ass, and then shook her head.  No clue where the obsession part came in but it made me chuckle.  

I guess this'll be a Christmas present to me...

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 6:01:01 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Well a little update...

I'm going to be ordering the 120.  Seems like the ability to clean the head/nozzle without using my hands would be worth it.  Amazon has them for $39 so that's not too bad.  

I talked to my wife about installing one tonight.  She said it was a waste, that I must be obsessed with my ass, and then shook her head.  No clue where the obsession part came in but it made me chuckle.  

-Emt1581
View Quote

She'll like it once it's installed.............
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 1:24:25 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Well a little update...

-Emt1581

Lol, I thought the same thing. No doubt.

And EMT I don't know if you seen my post from page 1. I have one and use it when I'm out of town.

Link Posted: 12/22/2014 10:01:44 AM EDT
[#50]
I’m sure you realize this is how most (numbers) of the world does it (Indians, Arabs, etc.).  There is a good reason Arabs consider the left hand to be dirty.   Typical Saudi toilet = hole in floor and a 6’ garden hose.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top