Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/10/2014 5:39:11 PM EDT
I am curious as to the idea of the truck gun being a "budget rifle".  

Why would the firearm you may need the most be adorned with budget parts/optics?

Wouldn't the parts/optic selection be more critical in this role as opposed to a range blaster?

What do you guys normally outfit your truck guns with?

Link Posted: 12/9/2014 5:45:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 5:48:49 PM EDT
[#2]
When I get around to a truck gun build I will "keep it simple stupid" with carry handle and FSB.

The thinking behind the budget stuff is that if something happened to the rifle (ie stolen, destroyed in car wreck, boating accident )  then you're not out much cash. I find flaw in this theory as well but then again some of the "budget" stuff just plain works.
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 5:51:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Get a basic reliable $700 whatever.  If the apocalypse comes when you think you need your NVG, laser equipped mk18 with suppressor, you'll prolly get a little more warning than 30 seconds.
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 5:52:12 PM EDT
[#4]

My truck gun is a XDS .45.   I dont really have a good place to conceal a shotgun or rifle
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 5:54:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
My truck gun is used for predators for the most part, and I'm not worried at all about it being stolen.
View Quote

I didn't even consider the fact that there's a high probability of it being stolen.  

Good point.
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 5:56:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
When I get around to a truck gun build I will "keep it simple stupid" with carry handle and FSB.

The thinking behind the budget stuff is that if something happened to the rifle (ie stolen, destroyed in car wreck, boating accident )  then you're not out much cash. I find flaw in this theory as well but then again some of the "budget" stuff just plain works.
View Quote

This, really.

I'd feel a lot less upset losing a $700 PSA or Bushy (or my $610 Witchy) or something as opposed to losing a $2k+ Noveske.
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 5:59:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Get a basic reliable $700 whatever.  If the apocalypse comes when you think you need your NVG, laser equipped mk18 with suppressor, you'll prolly get a little more warning than 30 seconds.
View Quote

I am not really speaking of the Apocalypse or any doomsday scenario.  

I just remember that shit that stays in a vehicle for a long period of time tends to get banged around, so I'd think better optics and mounts would be important.

Any of you notice a zero shift with those budget optics after being in the truck for a while?

ETA:  This is a perfect case for KISS carbine/rifle with carry handle and front sight post, which many of you alluded to using for this setup.
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 6:16:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 6:30:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

My truck gun is a XDS .45.   I dont really have a good place to conceal a shotgun or rifle
View Quote

+1

Plus, some states don't allow for the carrying of loaded rifles concealed in a vehicle.
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 6:31:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I am curious as to the idea of the truck gun being a "budget rifle".  

Why would the firearm you may need the most least be adorned with budget parts/optics?  For me, a Trunk gun is for IF my pistol isn't enough to get me back home.

Wouldn't the parts/optic selection be more critical in this role as opposed to a range blaster? extremely high probability that I'll ever use it.

What do you guys normally outfit your truck guns with? comp M2

View Quote
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 6:40:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Nope just a simple gun for me.

Link Posted: 12/9/2014 6:41:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Budget is relative.. And Budget does not mean Cheap.

You (OP) mention a few thing, but one jumped out at me. Optics. There are affordable (Budget Friendly) Optic out there that will get most jobs done, or at least fit everyone's needs for a Truck gun. I wont hesitate to run a TRS-25 from Bushnell on a truck gun as long as I have good iron sights to fall back on in case the battery is dead.

I test every gun I own quite a bit before I will trust it for a Defensive/Truck gun use. Cut cost on many items, but make certain there are quality parts in all the right places.
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 6:45:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Simple truck gun for me too.

SR15 upper with ALG MLOK rail.

Aimpoint is temporary until I buy another lmt fixed rear.

Link Posted: 12/9/2014 6:45:38 PM EDT
[#14]
To me, a truck gun isn't worth the hassle. I don't leave anything in the car that I don't want stolen; and in my mind, anything left in the car DOES have a chance of being stolen.

Back the the hassle aspect; if I were to have a rifle with "truck gun" duty, I would never be okay with leaving it unattended in a vehicle, and would take it back in the house each time I got home, which is a complete pain, and that does not even account for not really being able to take it out of the truck/vehicle and keep it on you everywhere you go while you are out and about.

I think along the same lines as the OP in this area. To me, it's one of those irrational concepts along the same lines as how many people over think their "K.I.S.S" rifle. If you are thinking that hard about  the configuration of a simple rifle, then obviously it's not that simple, even if it's physically basic. Honestly, no offense to anyone that likes the idea, or has a truck gun.
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 6:50:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Dude. Wasr 10/63
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 6:50:55 PM EDT
[#16]
But I agree with not leaving it unattended.
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 9:25:42 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

View Quote
That's what I did for my "truck gun".....although I refer to mine as my ATV gun.

Link Posted: 12/9/2014 10:02:07 PM EDT
[#18]
I don’t leave weapons in my vehicle...  

If I did leave a rifle in the truck, it would probably be something inexpensive yet reliable like an SKS or AK…  

I know they aren’t so cheap anymore…

Link Posted: 12/9/2014 10:15:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Who are we kidding.....a truck gun is just another excuse to get another AR. If your that paranoid...I mean prepared, it's not that hard to carry your rifle to/from your house. That being said, I have a couple more to put together.....then I'll need a truck gun.
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 10:35:40 PM EDT
[#20]
SWFA sent out notice that they have 100 new Bushmaster Patrol Carbines for sale at $599.00.
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 10:59:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 11:06:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Dude. Wasr 10/63
View Quote

or used lever gun in .38/357 or .30-30
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 11:19:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

I am not really speaking of the Apocalypse or any doomsday scenario.  

I just remember that shit that stays in a vehicle for a long period of time tends to get banged around, so I'd think better optics and mounts would be important.

Any of you notice a zero shift with those budget optics after being in the truck for a while?

ETA:  This is a perfect case for KISS carbine/rifle with carry handle and front sight post, which many of you alluded to using for this setup.
View Quote

Budget optics are simply not an option.  They do not work even when handled nicely.  Ask me how I know.  Get a $350 aimpoint or a $285 meprolight rds to stick on there if you must have a RDS

And being in a nazi state I just rock a PPS cuz I can't have more than 10.
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 12:24:05 AM EDT
[#24]
Mine is a PSA build. It shoots just fine, and hope I will never need it.
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 2:05:07 AM EDT
[#25]
Mines a psa just waiting on the lower I hope only thing I will ever need it for is a deer or coyote ect
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 2:35:45 AM EDT
[#26]
another little note here:

an accessible pistol beats an inaccessible rifle.

lots of places aren't going to allow you to roll around with a rifle in your 'truck' at the ready.  and not everyone drives a truck either, which offers less of a 'peep through the window' opportunity since they are higher up.

for that matter I say keep an accessible pistol with you, and if you must, put your rifle in the trunk out of LEO and out of gooby-theif-hand view.

this isn't mad max.  not yet at least.

im all about freedom, but i dont want to see any of you knuckleheads get into trouble over a rifle in the car OR supply a scumbag with a nice rifle.
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 2:46:18 AM EDT
[#27]
I agree with you 100% only time mine is in my truck Is when I'm out working a green field or when I'm going out to our farm land etc it DOES NOT live in my truck I found it works great on Ferrell hogs....
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 2:51:13 AM EDT
[#28]
I think this concept is regional, and for the most part individuals are familiar with the risk of theft in their area. A truck  Gun seems ridiculous in the suburbs of Illinois, but wouldn't be so ridiculous in TimbukArkansas. On the other hand here in rural KY, it wouldn't be odd to toss a beater AR in the back seat if you go off road, but there are too many thieves to leave a dedicated gun in your vehicle 24/7.
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 9:56:32 AM EDT
[#29]
It seems the biggest take here is people are scared it will be stolen.  Yes you have to weigh that into consideration or how much willing to risk in case its stolen.  

I have a dedicated truck/ATV gun that is a mosh posh of leftover parts and cheap parts thrown together.  Its a very reliable gun just as much as my DD.  If it gets stolen I'll be pissed but I'll get over it.
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 11:06:12 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 12:06:40 PM EDT
[#31]
Any rifle that may be used in a SD situation should be nothing but quality, but I am strange when it comes to being logical. The most important thing about having a truck rifle is to have it in a good lockable mount. I like the racks by Big Sky, it is what they use in many cop cars, mine actually came out of a cop car. Here it is mounted in my truck. It is a Colt Socom upper and BCG sitting on top of a PSA lower.

</a>" />
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 2:14:56 PM EDT
[#32]
As we all have opinions due to our experiences and where we live, my "Budget Truck AR" would be a standard flat top with carrying handle 16" carbine with collapsible stock.  Only thing I'll add would be a good surefire light to the handguard.  I could live with a A1 or A2 upper just as well.

CD
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 5:18:03 PM EDT
[#33]
I've done a fair amount of shooting from/around vehicles. SBR is far better than 16 incher. I won't carry my NFA SBR in the truck unless SHTF. Couldn't handle it getting stolen, seized, whatever. As a compromise, my truck gun is a Mini-14 Tactical with folding stock, Aimpoint, 20 round factory mags. Got it in a trade, wouldn't be too upset if I lost it.
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 5:25:43 PM EDT
[#34]
$600 PD trade in Colt 6520 "truck/beater" gun.

Link Posted: 12/10/2014 5:38:11 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

another little note here:

an accessible pistol beats an inaccessible rifle.

View Quote

Yep... so it's a good thing that it isn't an either/or decision.  Get both.
View Quote

If I need to respond to an immediate threat, the CCW gets the nod unless I just happen to have a rifle in my hands at that moment (not likely).

If I have to dispatch a coyote, show mercy to a hit/wounded animal, or have an unexpected opportunity to hunt without going home first (all things that have happened, more than once) or if I have to bug home during some sudden crisis (hasn't happened and I pray it never does) then I am glad I have a capable rifle in the vehicle and not just a handgun.  But I work in the city and live on a farm out in the sticks, long mostly-rural commute, so my situation may be very different from yours.

This post gets it.  The truck gun is far more likely to be used for impromptu hunting or animal dispatching than self defense.  They make a great self defense tool, but tend to not be accessible when you would need them for self defense.

Link Posted: 12/10/2014 8:11:34 PM EDT
[#36]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
+1

Plus, some states don't allow for the carrying of loaded rifles concealed in a vehicle.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

Ohio doesn't allow loaded rifles in a vehicle. If you have a CHL you can have a loaded pistol in the vehicle.

See pistol below.

Link Posted: 12/10/2014 8:18:43 PM EDT
[#37]
BushMaster P97, with a 20mw green laser and a aimpoint H1 rides with me. Chip McCormick drop in trigger module makes it a pleasure to shoot.

Link Posted: 12/10/2014 8:32:51 PM EDT
[#38]
I'm shocked at the number of truck guns that are ARs, and I'm an AR fan.

Used 870 or 500 fits the bill great. Under $300 you've got tons of fire power and if it gets stolen it's not the end of the world as far as your bank account is concerned.

As the old saying goes "My pistol gets me to my shotgun, my shotgun gets me to my rifle, my rifle gets me to..."
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 9:20:03 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 10:38:55 PM EDT
[#40]
RRA A2 carbine under the extended cab back seat situated where I can pull it out by the carry handle. 4-mag bandolier under the front seat. It's loaded in seconds without ever leaving the driver's seat.

If that doesn't work out, there's always the loaded Ruger P90 in the console.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 12:50:25 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
+1

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

This. No loaded in mn, even with pistol permit. Must be cased, unloaded.

Link Posted: 12/11/2014 1:50:21 AM EDT
[#42]
For around home I got a stevens 20 gauge crack-barrel single shot and an assortment of buck, 7 1/2, and a couple slugs. This gun cost me $50. If it gets stole, I'll be a lot more pissed about the broke window. When I'm on the road/out of town, AR pistol w/ sig brace. Also got a CCW for my handgun .No loaded long guns in NC BTW.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 2:40:42 AM EDT
[#43]
A "truck gun" to me is never left in the truck over night. I have an old BCM M4gery with M500 handguards, an Aimpoint M2 and 5 mags broke down in an Emdom GYM bag. I am thinking about getting the GYM E bag and sticking my AK folder in it though. I like having extra firepower with me when I am out on the road and phone service is bad...
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 8:29:29 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

That is why the Sig Brace is nice to have. No,Osifer . It's a pistol, not a rifle.

Link Posted: 12/11/2014 8:32:05 AM EDT
[#45]
mines an 870 with 7rd mag and plastic stocks..less than $200 in it  rides under the front seat there's 100 rds with the go bag under the back seat.
for the most part I have to make it home 15 mi thru rural area..that and my 1911 should help me get there as I plan on just getting out of everyones way asap.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 11:15:46 AM EDT
[#46]
I guess truck gun means different things to different people.  

I never thought about removing them from the truck nightly nor did I ever think their primary use was of a defensive nature.

My truck gun(s) are a M&P15 Sport and a Marlin 60.  Both live full time behind he seat of my Suburban in one of those hang behind the seat gun cases.  My primary considerations when selecting these two rifles were utility, durability and cost.

Usage over the years has been varmint control and buzz tail eradication.  You need the right tool for the job at hand; simple as that.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 10:14:37 PM EDT
[#47]

Love it!!
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 12:45:52 AM EDT
[#48]
My pistol is my primary defensive firearm. I want to do a 16" Mosin carbine with iron sights to ride under the seat in my truck. I don't care about how tacticool it is. It will be accurate, compact, and cheap.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 12:45:08 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Any rifle that may be used in a SD situation should be nothing but quality, but I am strange when it comes to being logical...
View Quote

Agree on quality & logic both. My logical choice is a high-quality, genuine mil-surp M1 carbine.

More powerful than any handgun I own other than my .454Casull, and faster to shoot with more-than-acceptable combat accurately than any handgun other than a .22 rimfire. Good for nuisance critters (we're very rural), good for defense, even good for deer. Fifteen rounds of JSP in the gun, two 15-rounders in the buttstock mag carrier, and two 50-round boxes in reserve. The gun and the boxes of ammo are each in heat-sealed 'foodsaver' type bags, to protect from moisture due to condensation from temperature swings. It's a quality gun that I've had for years and trust completely.

And it cost me $159...
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 5:31:11 PM EDT
[#50]
22LR...  Nothing more nothing less...  I know a lot of people hate the AR7 but I really like them.  
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top