Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/21/2014 1:04:11 PM EDT
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 1:51:36 PM EDT
[#1]
I would think converting to brass with teflon coated ball would be the only surefire way.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 2:28:05 PM EDT
[#2]
I was going to suggest converting to a brass one too. I have a few tanks with them I use for work, they just have a simple on/off boiler cleanout valve on them and they work pretty easy provided they aren't frozen solid.

I keep a torch in the truck when I have then out in the winter, easy to unthaw if they do freeze up.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 2:43:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 2:50:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Silicone grease should help.

The thing you run into, or I do, is that dirt or ice will have roughed up the ball a tiny bit.

And it won't be really smooth.

Should make it workable though.

Might dismantle it as much as you can and spray silicone down into it, handle might come off or whatever.  Doubt it is rebuildable but even taking it off and spraying some inside to soak a bit on the ball while the hose fitting is upside down holding plenty of liquid lube might help out.

I have both spray silicone lube of some sort and a thicker actual grease.

If you don't have the spray or liquid taking it somewhere warm and getting the grease warm might help.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top