Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/30/2014 6:09:33 PM EDT
Anyone have suggested plans if it spreads? A few more states and I go to BOL.

Edit: News link for the skeptical.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 6:23:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Bug in.

Wait, I'm still doing that for the Enterovirus
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 6:48:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Rubber gloves, n95 masks, bleach, disinfectant spray, hand sanitizer.  Don't go crazy, but it's good to have these to use.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 6:52:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Is this where it begins?
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:06:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Is this where it begins?
View Quote

We'll know in a few months......................
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:26:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is this where it begins?

Oops, not GD.
Sorry
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:32:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Rubber gloves, n95 masks, bleach, disinfectant spray, hand sanitizer.  Don't go crazy, but it's good to have these to use.
View Quote

Read the "Is this a Pandemic ..." thread.  N95 will not do it... Also, need goggles and at least Tyvek suites.  Need all of that if it becomes Pandemic.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:32:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Read the "Is this a Pandemic ..." thread.  N95 will not do it... Also, need goggles and at least Tyvek suites.  Need all of that if it becomes Pandemic.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_10_17/664806_Is_This_a_Pandemic_Being_Born_.html&page=18

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:33:58 PM EDT
[#9]
The disease is one threat; public reaction is another.  It wouldn't surprise me to start seeing grocery store shelves cleared of bottled water and shopping carts full of canned goods in the next few days.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:38:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Oh BOY....

Just the event the CDC [et al .gov 'institutions'] needs to TRIPLE the size of their operation and buy more guns and ammo.

Yay!  

3000 have died so far in Africa, world population is 4 Billion, give or take a few Billions...  

Wake me when my neighbors start dropping like fly's with blood coming out their ears...

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:40:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The disease is one threat; public reaction is another.  It wouldn't surprise me to start seeing grocery store shelves cleared of bottled water and shopping carts full of canned goods in the next few days.
View Quote

Your sigline says it all.

Been listening to people poo-poo this threat since it began, and now here we are, over 3000 dead, WHO predicting 1.5 million cases or more, and ebola in Dallas, and yet some are STILL calling it FUD. go figure.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:45:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Been listening to people poo-poo this threat since it began, and now here we are, over 3000 dead, WHO predicting 1.5 million cases or more, and ebola in Dallas, and yet some are STILL calling it FUD. go figure.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1.  

Might turn out to be nothing just like .gov is saying...  "Nothing to see here move along people."  
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:55:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

+1.  

Might turn out to be nothing just like .gov is saying...  "Nothing to see here move along people."  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1.  

BUT--- You can bet they will use this 'crisis', real or otherwise, to expand their power and control over us, with the Survival Sheeple [and regular Sheeple as well] bleating and cheering them on...

DO IT DO IT...

Along with spending -INEFFICIENTLY- zillions of $$$ that DOESN'T EXIST!

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:01:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

BUT--- You can bet they will use this 'crisis', real or otherwise, to expand their power and control over us, with the Survival Sheeple [and regular Sheeple as well] bleating and cheering them on...

DO IT DO IT...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1.  

DO IT DO IT...

This is a good opportunity to observe, learn how the public reacts to events like this.  Valuable info to know.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:07:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

This is a good opportunity to observe, learn how the public reacts to events like this.  Valuable info to know.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1.  

DO IT DO IT...

Agreed.

The bleating might be historic!

The beating of hoofs to the box stores, epic!

The opportunity for DEALS, once the Sheeple are distracted by the next 'issue', golden!

The justification for Emergency Powers, well, uh, pretty damn sad... At least we might have O for 3 moar years!

The packing of Survival Forums with NeewBees, entertaining!

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:23:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
<snip>

The packing of Survival Forums with NeewBees, entertaining!

View Quote

The 13'ers were not that entertaining......

But I dig your optimism.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:24:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Im not holding my breath in regards to this, Ive been prepping for years, when the mad cow, swine flu and avian flu came into the spotlight I went full retard prepping to defend against it, only to end up seeing it be nothing that it was blown up to be. Now with this Ebola, I fully understand that this type of sickness is nothing to scoff at, its the real deal, but Im not convinced yet that its a danger to the public at large just yet. But I will be watching and listening to the coconut wire on developments.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:28:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Slip of the tongue ' We all share the same air' CDC spokesman ( possible future transmission of ebola via air? )

'We have this under control and it will not spread' CDC spokesman

Im not sure which is scarier , that they may have leaked a scenario ( ie air borne ) or that the government is in control!
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:33:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Im not holding my breath in regards to this, Ive been prepping for years, when the mad cow, swine flu and avian flu came into the spotlight I went full retard prepping to defend against it, only to end up seeing it be nothing that it was blown up to be. Now with this Ebola, I fully understand that this type of sickness is nothing to scoff at, its the real deal, but Im not convinced yet that its a danger to the public at large just yet. But I will be watching and listening to the coconut wire on developments.
View Quote

So were the others, just not enough to affect us significantly.

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:34:41 PM EDT
[#20]

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:43:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's the thing that makes me nervous.  "They" are doing the exact opposite with Ebola.  Every major news article or CDC report includes "Nothing to be worried about."  "We can control it." "It will not spread in the US."

Again, I hope they are right, and while I am not doing anything specific to prep for this I am keeping my eyes and ears open and watching the news.  I already have a stash of gloves, tyvek suites, surgical masks though I am afraid they wouldn't be a whole lot of use if this thing were to go full blown pandemic.  Staying as far away from population centers would be key IMO.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:52:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRaXtoKywToksd1pRXkukcQQ_N0edpW0o_mvGHIpYz7WEmpDN8-

View Quote

This guy is better....

lol...I love this one:

"I triple guarantee you, there are no American soldiers in Baghdad."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfAeMtcURg0
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:57:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Is the consensus that the n95 mask would be sufficient against Ebola or not?

Also, if I were to use an n95 mask, if that is the go to mask style, how long can I use it before I should toss it and use a fresh one?
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:59:07 PM EDT
[#24]
Double tap
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:08:07 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Also, if I were to use an n95 mask, if that is the go to mask style, how long can I use it before I should toss it and use a fresh one?
View Quote

You need a N100-certified mask, and preferably a full-face respirator. N100 will prevent 99.97% of particulates or drops that are 3 microns or less in size. Ebola virus is .08 micron to .1 micron in size, however, in order for it to be airborne, it needs to be carried by droplets, these droplets are the ones that are larger than 3 microns in size therefore a 3 micron mask rated at N or P 100 should effectively block these pathogens. Goggles, nitrile gloves, Calcium Hypochlorite (pool shock, to make bleach) and Tvvek suits will be worth their weight in gold during a outbreak; a $100 will go a long way in buying these items.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:17:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No.  A woman took care of 5 people with ebola using nothing but trash bags and survived.

You dont need to spend a ton of money to protect yourself.  The CDC and others now teach the method that woman used.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:27:02 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

You need a N100-certified mask, and preferably a full-face respirator. N100 will prevent 99.97% of particulates or drops that are 3 microns or less in size. Ebola virus is .08 micron to .1 micron in size, however, in order for it to be airborne, it needs to be carried by droplets, these droplets are the ones that are larger than 3 microns in size therefore a 3 micron mask rated at N or P 100 should effectively block these pathogens. Goggles, nitrile gloves, Calcium Hypochlorite (pool shock, to make bleach) and Tvvek suits will be worth their weight in gold during a outbreak; a $100 will go a long way in buying these items.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Per cdc...it is not transmissible airborne, so a mask will likely not help at all.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:30:27 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

The disease is one threat; public reaction is another. It wouldn't surprise me to start seeing grocery store shelves cleared of bottled water and shopping carts full of canned goods in the next few days.
View Quote

I asked this in another thread, but no one answered.  So, I'll ask again here- Why bottled water?  Is Ebola going to render tap water useless?
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:32:19 PM EDT
[#29]
In before OFFICIAL NASCAR EBOLA THREAD
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:32:33 PM EDT
[#30]
An executive order signed by President Obama at the end of July also allows for the “apprehension, detention, or conditional release of individuals to prevent the introduction, transmission, or spread of suspected communicable diseases.”

As we reported earlier today, the CDC has also instructed funeral homes to prepare for Ebola victims, telling workers not to embalm corpses or carry out autopsies.

From the drudge report.

Ballon going up yet . Probably not but time to review preps for sure.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:33:08 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Per cdc...it is not transmissible airborne, so a mask will likely not help at all.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It will help, during sneezing and projectile vomiting.....
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:37:09 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

The disease is one threat; public reaction is another. It wouldn't surprise me to start seeing grocery store shelves cleared of bottled water and shopping carts full of canned goods in the next few days.

I don't know what FUD mean, but I still feel confident in poo-poo'ing this threat.  If 3000 people in this country have died, I MIGHT be concerned.  So far, it hasn't spread (AFAIK) between two people in the US.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:41:11 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

You know, have you ever taken a strong light, like an LED hi-power flashlight, and placed the beam perpendicular to the path of spittle that sprays out of most folk's mouths when they talk?

If not try it. You might be surprised.

My issue would not be so much having a mask, [that can't hurt in any case] but the protection of your eyes and reducing the spittle that get's into them most anytime you have a conversation with someone.

My guess is mucus/saliva may have some natural anti-bacterial-viral properties. OTOH, eyes might be a direct path for the virus to enter your body.

Maybe that's why there are reports of folks' bleeding from their eyes from an Ebola infection.

It's terrible, and IMO, for most folks, although wearing a mask might help folks make bad decisions from over-confidence, and some times, a mask might only be of marginal benefit.

Look at the folks in Japan wearing silly masks that likely do very little, but they feel good fooling themselves they are doing -SOMETHING.

Personally, I'd want to be doing something -EFFECTIVE. I ONLY WISH I KNEW WHAT THAT WAS.

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:42:08 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I don't know what FUD mean, but I still feel confident in poo-poo'ing this threat.  If 3000 people in this country have died, I MIGHT be concerned.  So far, it hasn't spread (AFAIK) between two people in the US.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, and it's been here for 9 days already.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:59:57 PM EDT
[#35]
If this rockets to 15 cases or something I'll be concerned. Im not yet convinced it's going to be a full blown pandemic here. I suspect we will see more cases though... If this stuff got loose in a ghetto it's going to get nasty.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:21:21 PM EDT
[#36]
Why with all the masks, tyvek suits, etc? Are you planning on going out in public about your normal business in full hazmat gear grocery shopping?

If this goes full pandemic, keep your a$$ home with your family, stay alive. Avoid all human contact from the outside world.

Time to check your preps. Fill the holes in them NOW.

Why wait until you need to bleach yourself off when you get home from a french toast supply run? Food NOW. Water supplies NOW. This may turn out to be nothing, but the way people in this country travel and socialize, shit like this can spread QUICK given the right conditions.

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:35:54 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Why with all the masks, tyvek suits, etc? Are you planning on going out in public about your normal business in full hazmat gear grocery shopping?

View Quote

If this goes full pandemic, keep your a$$ home with your family, stay alive. Avoid all human contact from the outside world.

Why wait until you need to bleach yourself off when you get home from a french toast supply run? Food NOW. Water supplies NOW. This may turn out to be nothing, but the way people in this country travel and socialize, shit like this can spread QUICK given the right conditions.

I think the masks and stuff might be in case something unexpected happens or something goes wrong with the plan.  You know...so you're prepared.

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:38:01 PM EDT
[#38]
No, it doesn't seem to spread easily.  Americans are not given to wash their dead - we have people for that, who understand how to take the proper precautions.  When folks get sick, they go to the hospital emergency room, not a folk healer.  There is very little chance that Ebola will spread in the US, despite the hype and fear.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 11:11:55 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I think the masks and stuff might be in case something unexpected happens or something goes wrong with the plan.  You know...so you're prepared.

You see those docs in full respirator gear getting hosed off with bleach constantly getting it. Your N95 won't do shit. Maybe make you feel better. I keep N95 masks, but I have no disillusion about them helping me with this particular nasty.

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 11:17:45 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

You see those docs in full respirator gear getting hosed off with bleach constantly getting it. Your N95 won't do shit. Maybe make you feel better. I keep N95 masks, but I have no disillusion about them helping me with this particular nasty.  

I do see them.  I've seen them in several of the useful resources I've posted in the other threads.
N95s might not help...although they probably would.  P100s might help.  In conjunction with ventless goggles, a hood, a Tychem suit, nitrile gloves, and fully water proof, chemical resistant outer suit, gloves, and boots.  A M98 with CBRN cartridge might help too.

Cases of calcium hypochlorite might help.  Lysol might help.
There's lots of things that might help and since most people in the survival forum don't plan on treating ebola patients those things that might help are probably for in case something goes wrong.

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 11:52:34 PM EDT
[#41]
Ounce of prevention, avoid getting it. if you get it, get to hospital.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 12:15:20 AM EDT
[#42]
How much does a Level C suit and breathing apparatus cost?

EDIT: Seems to be a level B suit on amazon for 175 shipped. probably doesn't include a breathing apparatus though...

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 4:34:04 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I asked this in another thread, but no one answered.  So, I'll ask again here- Why bottled water?  Is Ebola going to render tap water useless?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just used that as an example; something people do when they're preparing to hunker down and close themselves off.  You're right, though.  Public water supplies probably wouldn't be affected... but then again,  people are pretty uninformed in general, and some will probably be afraid the water might be contaminated too.

My real point, though, was that regardless of whether or not Ebola turns out to be a genuine threat to the U.S. (personally, I'm still in the "not" camp for now), watching and learning from how the public reacts to it could be a useful exercise for those who take being prepared seriously.

ETA...
One interesting observation right off the bat:  .gov and health officials seem to be doing a pretty fair job of putting out honest info about the risk (minimal) and control efforts.  Yet, everybody knows that of course the government is going to blast everyone with reassuring propaganda for any real catastrophic event... hell, it's in all the books .  I think it kind of cancels itself out; unfortunately our government has proven itself to be untrustworthy often enough that the first reaction to what in this case seems to be honest, factual info is that it's probably a crock of shit being cooked up to soothe the masses until the disease shows up at their door.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 8:00:58 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

FUD= Fear-Uncertainty-Doubt
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 12:42:55 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 8:28:46 PM EDT
[#46]
U.S. State Department putting out a bid for 160,000 suits
http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/articles/prnewswire/NY11147.htm
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 8:40:46 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

Oh Boy...

In 5 years we can pick them up surplus for $2!

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 8:43:02 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Oh Boy...

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh Boy...

No, they will give them to PDs and school districts...we will not get a crack at them.

Link Posted: 10/2/2014 10:28:42 AM EDT
[#50]
Couple of questions:

1) Are there any N100 masks that fit kids?  I would like to lay in a few, though frankly likelihood of actually using it is low.  If Ebola got established here, it would probably only take one or two infected kids to expose an entire school, by which time we are already probably infected as well. And we know how fast illness spreads at schools.   But better to have and not need, than to need and not have, I figure.

And anyone know a good source that doesn't cost $6+/N100 mask?  Talking Moldex N100 2730s most likely.

2) Are there any goggles that might be of help that are useful for people wearing glasses?

3) Also, as the wife is a Pharmacist, and therefore more likely to be exposed to someone infected, any suggestions as to what she can do besides wearing a mask and using alcohol on the counters/prescriptions handed to her?  Not bloody likely her employer will go along with a full respirator, hood, gloves, you name it, after all.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top