Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 6/11/2014 10:41:44 AM EDT
There are many opinions on what will be the end and why. I like to hear different points of view and there might be a catalyst that I am unaware of. What is everyone's guess on the event that triggers the end of normal life we are used to, and thoughts on when or how bad it will be?  This is all "OPINIONS" as nobody as far as I know here has a magic 8-ball, so no need to post "Nobody can tell"

To start, my guess is a financial breakdown in the US, that effects the world, and I could see it happening in the next 2 years.
Link Posted: 6/11/2014 10:50:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Loss of the grid or even part of it. 5 days without water and shtf.
Link Posted: 6/11/2014 10:56:27 AM EDT
[#2]
NOAA Space Weather Prediction Center 06/11/14:
"Multiple R3 (NOAA Scale-Strong) solar flares were observed this morning. The first flare, an X2.2/Sf occurred at 10/1142 UTC (0542 MDT) and the second flare, an X1.5/1f occurred at 10/1252 UTC (0652 MDT). The source region for both flares was newly numbered Region 2087 (S18E79) which rotated around the southeastern limb early this morning. Analysis is underway to determine potential impacts at Earth."
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/11/2014 10:57:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/11/2014 11:37:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Waldo, I agree life is to short.  This is more out of curiosity.  I follow world news a lot, and I do prep to an extent.  I learn something new everyday about world politics, the US and it financial wows and other possible life impacting events.  This post has already paid off for my curiosity as I had little knowledge of solar flares and it's impact.
Link Posted: 6/11/2014 11:49:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/11/2014 12:02:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Waldo, I agree life is to short.  This is more out of curiosity.  I follow world news a lot, and I do prep to an extent.  I learn something new everyday about world politics, the US and it financial wows and other possible life impacting events.  This post has already paid off for my curiosity as I had little knowledge of solar flares and it's impact.
View Quote

Before I get called out for Chicken-Littlism, know that a TEOTWAWKI-level flare would be a true black swan event, and any one of us is probably more likely to die choking on a Big Mac than via solar flare/CME.

That being said, it has happened before, and will happen again.  If a really big one happens any time in the near future, it would definitely change life as we know it.  It's just one of those things that I personally put in the 'be aware, but do not fear' category.
Link Posted: 6/11/2014 12:37:34 PM EDT
[#7]
My best guess is financial collapse due to the politicians spending us in to the ground.  At our current debt level and figuring a population of around 320 million in the USA, each person owes 55,485.00.

Now I don't know about the rest of you, but I can't cut a check for my part.
Link Posted: 6/11/2014 12:50:43 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm not convinced there will be "an" event. I think there will be (and have been) a series of events, each of which will have an increasingly negative effect on people's finances, security, health, etc. I think if we don't get the ship of state righted and back on the right course, the acceleration will continue towards the shoals.

As the economic and social conditions continue to deteriorate, there will be an increase in <personal> SHTFs. Job loss, health care loss, burglaries and other crimes, etc. will be impacting more and more people. On the side of freedom vs. government, we've already seen at least one instance where the .gov decided discretion was the better part of valor instead of precipitating an "us vs. them" armed encounter. I am hoping that was a learned lesson for JBT wannabes - which I believe will drastically reduce that type of SHTF. Funny how that whole Second Amendment thing works, isn't it.
Link Posted: 6/11/2014 12:56:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Loss of the grid or even part of it. 5 days without water and shtf.
View Quote

We (here in the northeast) had a 3 day power outage in 2003.  It was not bad, actually kind of fun.  We were living in the ghetto at the time (East Cleveland) and instead of wilding and chaos our neighbors were having barbecues out front of their apartment buildings.  It was big party.  We had a good time.

If it had gone longer, would have been worse I guess.  But sometimes I wonder if the suburbs would fare worse in a SHTF event.  Our neighbors there were used to having no A/C and frequently living without water (when the landlord didn't pay the water bill the city would come and turn off water to our building - it happened several times).  

What's the saying? Society is only nine meals away from anarchy?  Some people are used to it already.  Others can't fathom the possibility.  Same goes for "financial collapse."
Link Posted: 6/11/2014 1:18:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Quite honestly, this is a waste of mental effort to actually think you can try to pinpoint what will happen.

Start at the small and work your way up. What you have if/when the S hits the F will be what you have.

Its kind of fun to what if sometimes, but at the end of the day, don't stress yourself out. At best use the effort to think about the holes in your preps.
Link Posted: 6/11/2014 1:26:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Many people don't consider their personal health or that of their family members being a SHTF event, however it is for many.  They lose everything.

Plan accordingly.
Link Posted: 6/11/2014 3:53:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Lots of personals, but this will
the big one IMO.

It's un-sustainable and they only
continue to make worse.

It's inevitable. Simple math.
But there could be other
causes.

I have a wife & young son to
provide safety, security & comfort
for. I have no choice, but I do take
significant comfort from doing what
I can now.

John

Quoted:
My best guess is financial collapse due to the politicians spending us in to the ground.  At our current debt level and figuring a population of around 320 million in the USA, each person owes 55,485.00.

Now I don't know about the rest of you, but I can't cut a check for my part.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/11/2014 3:58:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I'm not convinced there will be "an" event. I think there will be (and have been) a series of events, each of which will have an increasingly negative effect on people's finances, security, health, etc. I think if we don't get the ship of state righted and back on the right course, the acceleration will continue towards the shoals.

As the economic and social conditions continue to deteriorate, there will be an increase in <personal> SHTFs. Job loss, health care loss, burglaries and other crimes, etc. will be impacting more and more people. On the side of freedom vs. government, we've already seen at least one instance where the .gov decided discretion was the better part of valor instead of precipitating an "us vs. them" armed encounter. I am hoping that was a learned lesson for JBT wannabes - which I believe will drastically reduce that type of SHTF. Funny how that whole Second Amendment thing works, isn't it.
View Quote

Exactly. [The first part, and part of the second]

Link Posted: 6/11/2014 4:01:20 PM EDT
[#14]
It will be a bio warfare attack by some terrorist organization or a disgruntled ex bio masters student.

Probably a dual expression virus if I had to guess.
Link Posted: 6/11/2014 4:16:49 PM EDT
[#15]

Grid failure-that would kill my city in a few days

Carrington event- see above

Economical collapse -most likely

Solar impact- Slate wiper

Viral -Slate wiper

Super volcano-Slate wiper

Clinton/Biden victory 2016- hell on earth, start of 7 years of darkness
Link Posted: 6/11/2014 4:40:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Many people don't consider their personal health or that of their family members being a SHTF event, however it is for many.  They lose everything.

Plan accordingly.
View Quote

This is what I clicked in to say.

1. Lose Job

2. Cancer

3. Divorce

4. Car accident.

Sometimes, all at the same time.  

It's not as "sexy" as pondering TEOTWAWKI, but it's going to be YOUR personal reality.    

Be afraid of the mundane.   It will strike without warning.

Link Posted: 6/11/2014 4:42:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
It will be a bio warfare attack by some terrorist organization or a disgruntled ex bio masters student.

View Quote

Have you read "The White Plague" ?
Link Posted: 6/11/2014 4:45:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No Just got done with John Ringo's zombie plague books.
Link Posted: 6/11/2014 5:08:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 6/11/2014 5:26:04 PM EDT
[#20]
This thread makes me hate how close I live to so many people.
Link Posted: 6/12/2014 3:26:50 AM EDT
[#21]
Where I live? The odds say Hurricane (or tropical storm).
Link Posted: 6/12/2014 4:06:43 AM EDT
[#22]
ALIENS!
Link Posted: 6/12/2014 5:06:08 AM EDT
[#23]
Could be anything, even something unexpected.

My theory is it will be a combination of events, all compounding each other.

Something like the economy crashing, then severe droughts/ flooding, then riots/ government crackdowns.

Just a theory though.
Link Posted: 6/12/2014 6:14:19 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

ALIENS!
View Quote
FTW

Link Posted: 6/12/2014 6:28:54 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
FTW  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
ALIENS!
FTW  

"Illegal" ones?

Link Posted: 6/12/2014 6:59:33 AM EDT
[#26]
The rest of Obama's term in office.
Link Posted: 6/12/2014 7:07:51 AM EDT
[#27]
Guys, I'm not stressing anything.  I'm at work which is typically a SHTF event and reading the news while eating breakfast.  I am interested in all current events and wondered if there were things I was unaware of going on in the world that had the SHTF possibility. I'm not throwing on a tinfoil hat and planning to bunker down at home. Personally our financial situation is the #1 catalyst I see as causing unrest.  I also see a threat in China/Russia/Iran/North Korea working together to move away from the dollar and at the rate they are building their military has to make you think.
Link Posted: 6/12/2014 7:30:02 AM EDT
[#28]
long term SHTF event i think would be a natural disaster of some sort (yellowstone eruption, asteroid/comet/etc,) with a close second being a financial collapse.  

i dont really worry about such things, more worried about personal SHTF event.  job loss, hurricane, 1-2 weeks without power, etc., etc.  those are things i can actually plan for and try to get prpared for.
Link Posted: 6/12/2014 8:02:02 AM EDT
[#29]
It will start with the stock market getting hammered from the biggest scam in the history of financial markets (QE) unfolding. The US credit score will be downgraded a few more points, Washington will just keep on borrowing, hyperinflation will follow. The healthcare and student loan bubbles will pop. $10/gallon gas and food prices will be through the roof, food stamp subsidies will increase ten-fold, and eventually that will implode. The farm bill and every other wasteful government spending will eventually have to stop. Farmers can no longer afford to farm, people can't buy food that now costs 20 times what it did, looting and riots will start. No jobs, and all unemployment benefits have been expired. Throw in a good hurricane/earthquake/flooding/other natural disaster, summer of drought, another really bad winter or two, or some kind of terrorist attack from the 5 bozos we just released back into the wild, and SHTF.

I'm really not that paranoid of a person, but pumping 85 billion a month of printed from thin air money into the market has got to come undone sometime. There really hasn't been much of a recovery, yet the markets are at all time highs. The Fed manipulating the stock market for temporary relief from the recession in 09 has only delayed a depression in my opinion. When the depression comes it will be much worse than if the .gov let the free market ride in the first place. We truly are an Empire of Debt. All empires collapse eventually.

Link Posted: 6/12/2014 8:15:50 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 6/12/2014 10:30:44 AM EDT
[#31]
RRANRA I agree with you on a lot of that, but I don't see the entire unraveling...   I bet we are in for a really bad period, and the only thing that would make it permanent is for Russia or China to step in.  The World relies on us, but that's not to say someone couldn't come take advantage of us falling on our face.
Link Posted: 6/12/2014 11:46:07 AM EDT
[#32]
Doubt Ill see it in my lifetime, but probably inclement weather related.
Link Posted: 6/12/2014 12:20:35 PM EDT
[#33]
I think RRANRA hit the nail on the head.  It will take a series of events over a long period of time. The only reason it will seem like a SHTF event is because we will not see it happening and then all of a sudden it be  "holy shit, what just happened?" I don't rule out our own gov turning on it's citizens either.
Link Posted: 6/12/2014 12:24:02 PM EDT
[#34]
Drunken binder ...where I ride a pit belly pig into town...wearing nothing by an old fragments vest ...kpot...and cowboy boots...when I dismpwount my trusty swine ill stroll up to the quicky mart....demand they join my band of rebels in order to re  populate the earth...

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/12/2014 1:01:25 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
The rest of Obama's term in office.
View Quote

What next term,,, he stay as King Obama   No term limit
Link Posted: 6/12/2014 1:11:20 PM EDT
[#36]
We live in the country and our biggest threat is from an extended power loss. We're preparing first for a month, then three months, then we'll see how we feel about that as to whether we can prep for a year.

Of course, this prep will not help at all if certain other TEOTWAWKI events come to pass. Can't prepare for it--don't worry about it.
Link Posted: 6/12/2014 1:32:26 PM EDT
[#37]
I'm pretty concerned about this amnesty thing... How many illegals are pouring in now? How many are here now?  If they all signed up for all the possible handouts within the same month how would that effect the nation?
Link Posted: 6/12/2014 1:58:57 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I'm pretty concerned about this amnesty thing... How many illegals are pouring in now? How many are here now?  If they all signed up for all the possible handouts as democrats within the same month how would that effect the nation?
View Quote

Fixed it for you.
Link Posted: 6/12/2014 3:03:57 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
It will start with the stock market getting hammered from the biggest scam in the history of financial markets (QE) unfolding. The US credit score will be downgraded a few more points, Washington will just keep on borrowing, hyperinflation will follow. The healthcare and student loan bubbles will pop. $10/gallon gas and food prices will be through the roof, food stamp subsidies will increase ten-fold, and eventually that will implode. The farm bill and every other wasteful government spending will eventually have to stop. Farmers can no longer afford to farm, people can't buy food that now costs 20 times what it did, looting and riots will start. No jobs, and all unemployment benefits have been expired. Throw in a good hurricane/earthquake/flooding/other natural disaster, summer of drought, another really bad winter or two, or some kind of terrorist attack from the 5 bozos we just released back into the wild, and SHTF.

I'm really not that paranoid of a person, but pumping 85 billion a month of printed from thin air money into the market has got to come undone sometime. There really hasn't been much of a recovery, yet the markets are at all time highs. The Fed manipulating the stock market for temporary relief from the recession in 09 has only delayed a depression in my opinion. When the depression comes it will be much worse than if the .gov let the free market ride in the first place. We truly are an Empire of Debt. All empires collapse eventually.

View Quote

Pretty danged close...

Link Posted: 6/12/2014 3:05:40 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Fixed it for you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm pretty concerned about this amnesty thing... How many illegals are pouring in now? How many are here now?  If they all signed up for all the possible handouts as democrats within the same month how would that effect the nation?

Fixed it for you.

Yup, that's what 95% do...

That's' why the dems encourage mass illegal immigration.

We've lost our country unless folks haven't been paying attention...

Link Posted: 6/13/2014 5:31:14 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fixed it for you.

but seriously what are we going to do about it? What can we do?
Link Posted: 6/13/2014 5:43:15 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 6/13/2014 6:28:16 AM EDT
[#43]
I think the probability of a terrorist attack is higher than it was.  May be not tomorrow, but if things continue on their current path, we could have problems.  

We have a, basically, open southern border.  BP is overwhelmed and essentially useless right now due to the massive influx of illegals.  Cartels are crossing with no problems.  They've been threatening people in El Paso.  There's been rumors for years of terrorists working with the cartels.  Now we have large amounts of money (500 million +) being stolen in Iraq by ISIS.  The money will likely stay in the rgion to support regional ISIS fighting, but they do have enough for some nukes and transportation.  Mix that with open borders and experienced smugglers, and you could have a problem. That would have a domino effect that would wreck our economy (more than it already is), cause problems with power grids and transportation routes, and spiral in to a chaotic situation.

Or you can take the mindset of our current Presidential Admin and figure that all of those rightwing, gun owning extremeists are the problem.    

Like I said, I think the probability is higher, but I'm nto saying it will happen.  If they're smart, they'll just let us continue to self-destruct.

I would still stay the highest possibility is economic problems on the scale of the Great Depression or worse.  Labor participation is in the tank, our money system is being exploited, massive debt, and a government that wants to harm the power industry and most industry in general.  They'll suck the life out of us if we don't straighten up and fix this mess.
Link Posted: 6/13/2014 7:32:35 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

honestly,  unless there is a MASSIVE cultural shit in the population centers, not much.

imho we are in the end days of the republic. in other times it might have taken a hundred years or more for the collapse to finally happen. with today's technology i suspect this will not be the same country in less than 50 years that we have today.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fixed it for you.

honestly,  unless there is a MASSIVE cultural shit in the population centers, not much.

imho we are in the end days of the republic. in other times it might have taken a hundred years or more for the collapse to finally happen. with today's technology i suspect this will not be the same country in less than 50 years that we have today.

Franklin said it best: "When the people find that they can vote themselves money that will herald the end of the republic."  

The people realized a while back that they could vote themselves money!  

Only question that remains, as TBS points out, is the speed of our descent.
Link Posted: 6/13/2014 7:50:52 AM EDT
[#45]
this whole thing really bothers me because i feel it is a legitimate, intentional, real and occuring threat.
I feel like this:

I dont worry about EMP's, I dont worry about a nuclear attack or even natural disasters but this really unnerves me.
Link Posted: 6/13/2014 7:56:42 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 6/13/2014 7:59:26 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Fixed it for you.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Fixed it for you.

One is just a sub-set of the other.

Link Posted: 6/13/2014 8:04:41 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Something like the economy crashing, then severe droughts/ flooding, then riots/ government crackdowns.

Just a theory though.
View Quote
30 years ago, I would have called myself insane, but today, I think there is the real possibility that a series of disasters could be used to scrap the current form of government we have and completely change it.  Not an overthrow, just a scrapping of the Constitution and near total Federal control of states. Then a quick slide into the old Soviet style misery of central control.

Not predicting it, but can no longer just dismiss it as not possible.

Link Posted: 6/13/2014 8:16:29 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
30 years ago, I would have called myself insane, but today, I think there is the real possibility that a series of disasters could be used to scrap the current form of government we have and completely change it.  Not an overthrow, just a scrapping of the Constitution and near total Federal control of states. Then a quick slide into the old Soviet style misery of central control.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just a theory though.

I figure it will just go on like it has, .gov creates problem, people demand solution, .gov proposes solution. people keep trading freedom for security.
Whatever collapse breaks this country it will be blamed on white, christian, tea party, conservatives, bush and capitalism. I think Obama will get alot bolder in the coming months and try more and more to get around the constitution and congress. amnesty, gun control and health care were his main goals. He is frustrated with gun control and is literally smacking the American people in the face with Mexican kids to try and push harder. every time he doesnt get his way he blasts the republicans. If dems lose big this fall he will lose his mind im betting. He acts like he is under alot of pressure to achieve these things.
Link Posted: 6/13/2014 8:36:13 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fixed it for you.

The better question might be...

"What WILL be done about it?"

The answer is EASY for folks who don't make a pastime of Fooling Themselves...

Absolutely nothing and more of the same.

It's OVER, Rover, just will take a while to play out. It was our game to lose in so many ways that we were happy to concede due to our greed, ignorance, and willingness/desire to be brainwashed by every US 'institution', particularly the media, ---that we are addicted to.

Exactly what I've said since I first posted here many years ago. You're watching my predictions play out.

You haven't seen ANYTHING ---yet...

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top