Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/20/2011 9:16:40 PM EDT
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/CAMP352-1.html

I've seen previous commentary on bucket-type filtration, some do it yourself systems with some sort of activated charcoal filter element.  I'm wondering how this kit compares, or what off the shelf components would greatly beat it in price.

I'm thinking to put together such a kit for our own emergency use, get the buckets, pre-drill, then stack all teh components inside the upper bucket, with the undrilled lid on the stack. They whole thing can sit as long as it has to. A couple other buckets for shuttling water into it woudl complete the 'kit'.  Thinking retrieve a couple buckets of questionable water, set them settle out any detritus, doping them with a bit of bleach while they sit.  Or cover the topmost bucket with a screen mesh to keep out bits of muck. Couple simple steps will stave off clearing the filter element for quite some time.
Once settled, pour off the clarified water into the bucket filter system and wait.  Maybe even make that bucket system an intermediate stage, tap the filtered water into drinking containers and re-treat?
Link Posted: 1/20/2011 11:27:53 PM EDT
[#1]
You can buy them direct from Monolithic for a little less than ctd. plus you can get individual parts/spares.

monolithic bucket filter

The reviews I've read have all been really good and for the price it's hard to beat.  I keep mine in a cabinet and would use some of the 5 gallon buckets i use for food storage if needed.
Link Posted: 1/27/2011 11:41:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks. I really like the 'passive' simplicity of this system. Simple to use, very little to fiddle with, anybody can use it properly. Maybe stick a sheet of simple directions on the side of the filtered water bucket with instructions and notes, bleach ratios and the like. Would make a real simple handout item for family or neighbors, too..

Maybe put some 1/2 gal graduations on the side of the buckets. I'm wondering if it would be possible to check the level in the lower bucket by pressing a high-intensity flashlight to the side?  I'll have to dig out a bucket and experiment with that. And see how 'waterproof' this bucket kit is. What I'm after is can you stack / seal the two in a manner that keeping a level of water in the upper bucket won't overflow the lower cathment? If so then you just keep an eye on the upper and top it off before it hits bottom.
Link Posted: 1/27/2011 12:00:47 PM EDT
[#3]
i ordered this kit the other day, been "meaning to..." for quite some time. my plan is to pre drill and test fit everything then break it down, store it with some bleach r iodine tablets  or pool shock... .5 microns is small, but not small enough to kill the itty bitties...
Link Posted: 1/27/2011 12:21:25 PM EDT
[#4]
I've got a couple of the .02 microns on order for about a week now.
Link Posted: 1/27/2011 12:30:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
You can buy them direct from Monolithic for a little less than ctd. plus you can get individual parts/spares.

monolithic bucket filter

The reviews I've read have all been really good and for the price it's hard to beat.  I keep mine in a cabinet and would use some of the 5 gallon buckets i use for food storage if needed.

the problem with these are and i quote the website "Once you start using the filter, the activated carbon is only good for 6 to 8 months. The anti-bacterial ceramic wall will work indefinitely. The media inside (such as the activated carbon) will pack over time. The filter needs to be shaken to unpack the media. The shelf life of the unit itself is indefinite. The only question in the carbon. Current figures say the unused carbon should have a shelf life between at least 2 or 3 years, if not much more. The sock has an indefinite shelf life. Replacement during use will depend on filthiness of the water source."

not very long term if you ask me.   i highly recommend the sawyer system. it has a lifetime guarentee and much better filtration at .02 microns, not .2  like the monolithic http://www.sawyer.com/SP190.htm  its more money but lasts alot longer
Link Posted: 1/27/2011 1:27:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

monolithic bucket filter

i just saw this same filter. you can get it in a 2 micron size as well, which filters a lot more than the 5 micron..... plus it only costs $26.00 bucks. im going to buy a few on payday. i dont currently have any filters. fort his price its almost criminal not to buy some for your family. im gonna buy a few extra, to help out the family/ neighbors if ever needed. ill just sell them , for a total of maybe 35 bucks, buckets and all, its a great deal.  this is not something you can usually find locally, and especially not during a emergency.

http://shop.monolithic.com/products/just-water-ceramic-drip-filter

i just looked at the sawyer.. damn its a lot better filter. costs around $150 bucks though. i might buy a sawyer. im still going to get a few of the cheaper drip filters, .2 micron. add a little bleach to the water being filtered, and i seriously doubt you would get sick.........
Link Posted: 1/27/2011 1:40:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

monolithic bucket filter

the problem with these are and i quote the website "Once you start using the filter, the activated carbon is only good for 6 to 8 months. The anti-bacterial ceramic wall will work indefinitely. The media inside (such as the activated carbon) will pack over time. The filter needs to be shaken to unpack the media. The shelf life of the unit itself is indefinite. The only question in the carbon. Current figures say the unused carbon should have a shelf life between at least 2 or 3 years, if not much more. The sock has an indefinite shelf life. Replacement during use will depend on filthiness of the water source."

not very long term if you ask me.   i highly recommend the sawyer system. it has a lifetime guarentee and much better filtration at .02 microns, not .2  like the monolithic http://www.sawyer.com/SP190.htm  its more money but lasts alot longer

it claims it last for a million gallons. if it does filter stuff that small, and pretty much filters forever, it might very well be worth the extra $$..... looks good.
Link Posted: 1/27/2011 2:49:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/27/2011 3:24:11 PM EDT
[#9]
I implemented this exact plan for my BOL using this same kit  last year. I have been using it for 6 months on an old well with quite a lot of sulphur and particulates and it takes away all of the odor and particulates. I  tested the filtered water; it tested better than my city's water & it tastes fine. I put 4 more of them away for SHTF provisions. Great solution for a very reasonable price. BTW I ordered direct from Monolithic.
ETA: spelling
Link Posted: 1/27/2011 5:59:31 PM EDT
[#10]
I am going with this.
http://www.sawyer.com/SP190.htm

Link Posted: 1/28/2011 4:14:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Ok, i know almost nothing about water filtration. How does the Sawyer compare to something like the Big Berkey?
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 5:02:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

monolithic bucket filter

Carbon in any filtration system has a finite life. It will improve taste of the water but more importantly should remove many types of chemicals. Once the carbon is saturated, the ceramic should continue to perform it's duty as filtration of the little buggies.

I'm assuming the sawyer doesn't have any carbon filtration, if so, the carbon module would be considered a consumable and replaceable.   I do like the finer filtration for viruses and plan to eventually pick up the .02.   Monolithic sure looks like a great bang for the buck, though.   It looks like a good backup system, and a great barter item.  
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 6:01:02 AM EDT
[#13]
Are the filters on Monolithic Marketplace that are .02 micron new?  I can't seem to find any reviews online about the .02 ones, just the .05 filters.  

Anyone have first hand knowledge of the .02 ones?  Definitely sounds like something to add to the list.
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 6:19:51 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 8:25:13 AM EDT
[#15]
Go with the Sawyer filter that removes viruses.  .02 micron I think.  I have one and it works great.  Lasts basically forever, since you just back flush it to clean,.  I also have a Katydyn pocket filter for backpacking, but they are real expensive.  The sawyer can be put into a bag setup if you need to move.  The sawyer is more expensive than what you mentioned, but does so much more and last a lifetime.  Well worth the extra few dollars.
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 11:04:11 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Are the filters on Monolithic Marketplace that are .02 micron new?  I can't seem to find any reviews online about the .02 ones, just the .05 filters.  

Anyone have first hand knowledge of the .02 ones?  Definitely sounds like something to add to the list.

check your math.

Monolithic Marketplace is .2 and .5
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 11:13:47 AM EDT
[#17]

Link Posted: 1/28/2011 12:41:57 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

check your math.

Nah, they show a .02 micron filter: http://shop.monolithic.com/products/just-water-ceramic-drip-filter

- .05 Filter w/ Sock ONLY for $20.25

- .05 Filter w/ Sock and Spigot ONLY for 23.50

- .02 Micron Filter ONLY for $21.25

- .02 Micron Filter w/ Sock & Spigot ONLY for $26.50

Link Posted: 1/28/2011 12:47:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

check your math.

Check your eyes. Monolithic is.05 and .02.
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 3:53:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

check your math.

Check your eyes. Monolithic is.05 and .02.

check this.

i looked on their website and they clearly say its a half micron.  that means .5   also in the product pdf literature it clearly says .5 (half micron)  pretty sure the drop down menu is a typo.  i would call them to be 100% sure.

Link Posted: 1/28/2011 3:58:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

monolithic bucket filter

I wonder how true the expiry of a carbon filter is.

The carbon block filter on the RO system on the kitchen counter has been in continuous use since IIRC 2006 and the TDS of the water the RO system processes still has a TDS that is very low.

That system cost about $50 and will be in service for a very long time and the water from it is quite 'pure' and tastes great.

I've been drinking it all day and that thing must have had a couple thousand gallons thru it by now.

Don't believe all the expiration times the mfgr's put out.

BTW, using RO lets you test your water for total dissolved solids in a few seconds with a $20 pen-like tester.

That said, RO is a little more complicated than say a Big-B, and some folks are intimidated or think they aren't bright enough to have one, so they don't appear to have caught on here except for a small number of members.

Nothing could be farther from the truth, RO is easy to impliment.

The Sawyer is a good solution but it won't remove the dissolved nasties any more than a ceramic candle.
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 3:59:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Ok, i know almost nothing about water filtration. How does the Sawyer compare to something like the Big Berkey?

Way better when used w/ a carbon block cartridge in front of it, less expensive usually.

However, beware, neither will remove dissolved chemicals and crap like that like a RO membrane will.

I've used the Sawyer extensively in the mtns and have always run a carbon block cartridge in front of it.

Right now I'm using a ceramic candle and carbon block there because my system runs at 40 psi [using a 12 vdc insecticide sprayer pump] and eventually the Sawyer housing cracks and leaks.

Already got a great deal on another RO system and it's going into service up there in a couple weeks.

Water is important to me since that's pretty much all I drink, mostly from inexpensive RO systems.
Link Posted: 2/16/2011 1:30:56 PM EDT
[#23]
As a recap, I ordered and received my filter from Monolithic and the invoice, confirmation email and the box states that it is a .02 micron filter (hand written), however now if you go to the site it's clearly marked as a .2 micron and the old page that had the .02 information is now a 404 error (http://shop.monolithic.com/products/just-water-ceramic-drip-filter).

I had called before I placed the order and they confirmed that the filter was in fact a .02, but now that the page is down I have my doubts.

I've emailed them to get their thoughts and am interested to see.

I don't know how to possibly test it myself, but if anyone else is interested in one, keep this in mind.

––––––––––––––––––––––

EDIT:  Here's their response to my email.

> The filter is a .2 filter not a .02, we confirmed it with the
manufacturer and changed it on the website.  Thank you for your concern.

>

> Best Regards,

>

> LaDon Durham

And My Response back to them:

Thanks for getting back to me.

My concern is that I bought a
product that is way different that what is advertised.  The difference
between .2 and .02 is 10 times bigger.  I am very frustrated that I
spent $50 on a product that is 10x less that what was advertised.  I am
glad you have updated your site, however I am sure you have many
customers out there that think they have one thing and and really have
something else.  In the case of water filtration, this is the difference
between getting a deadly virus or not.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top