BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 72
Link Posted: 12/11/2011 9:20:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By scuba-junky:
Originally Posted By J563:
Ok added a WD- 1TB NAS today to the network, I know it is only 1TB, but the price was right. They are on clearance at Staples for $70 (actually $50 w/  this Coupon ).  It was a challenge FOR ME to get it running , but I finally got the Vivotek recording directly to it!

Congratulations on the 1TB NAS.  That should hold quite a bit of data actually.   I've also got one of the Vivotek cameras.  Can you tell me?

Are you recording video or snapshots to your NAS?- Video
Are you using motion detection?- No , Always on recording 24/7
When you walk around in front of the camera for a couple minutes, do you experience gaps in the recorded time frame (displayed in the upper corner of the video or snapshot)?
I would have to say no not at all, If I view 2 files that were recorded in succession watching the time lapse interval it is constant w/ no gaps.

Can you tell me what settings you've adopted for Stills and Videos? Not doing stills , I have 2 streams setup:
Stream 1 is set to JPEG, 640X480, 5fps, Excellent video Quality this was recommended for the iPhone App I am using.
Stream 2 is set for MPEG-4, 800X600, 10fps, Good Video Quality

I'd love to get mine going to my NAS without large gaps missing.

Here are 2 videos in a row that I uploaded to youtube, when u are talking about gaps I am guessing you are talking about missing some amount of successive time? If so watch my time stamps begining/ending times. They seem to not have gaps to me???
Vid1
Vid2

Link Posted: 12/11/2011 9:56:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Are you using fast enough memory?

You need like a Class 10 SDHC card to save higher res video in real time. Class 4 the write buffer gets backed up.
Link Posted: 12/12/2011 10:36:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By scuba-junky:
Ok added a WD- 1TB NAS today to the network, I know it is only 1TB, but the price was right. They are on clearance at Staples for $70 (actually $50 w/  this Coupon ).  It was a challenge FOR ME to get it running , but I finally got the Vivotek recording directly to it!

Congratulations on the 1TB NAS.  That should hold quite a bit of data actually.   I've also got one of the Vivotek cameras.  Can you tell me?

Are you recording video or snapshots to your NAS?- Video
Are you using motion detection?- No , Always on recording 24/7
When you walk around in front of the camera for a couple minutes, do you experience gaps in the recorded time frame (displayed in the upper corner of the video or snapshot)?
I would have to say no not at all, If I view 2 files that were recorded in succession watching the time lapse interval it is constant w/ no gaps.

Can you tell me what settings you've adopted for Stills and Videos? Not doing stills , I have 2 streams setup:
Stream 1 is set to JPEG, 640X480, 5fps, Excellent video Quality this was recommended for the iPhone App I am using.
Stream 2 is set for MPEG-4, 800X600, 10fps, Good Video Quality

I'd love to get mine going to my NAS without large gaps missing.

Here are 2 videos in a row that I uploaded to youtube, when u are talking about gaps I am guessing you are talking about missing some amount of successive time? If so watch my time stamps begining/ending times. They seem to not have gaps to me???
Vid1
Vid2

The difference is that your using the Recording menu to set up continuous recording to your NAS.  You are correct, it does capture video's without lost time between them.  It does a very good job.    I on the other hand was trying to set up the camera so that it only records upon a motion trigger.  I wanted to get all of the time that motion was taking place recorded.  That is where I get large sections of time being missed.   I thought one of the the ideas of distributed processing was to have the camera record the "motion triggered events" locally or to a NAS.  I was trying to avoid the steady stream of unimportant video going across the network and rattling my drives to death.  I was just hoping to capture ALL of the IMPORTANT video.

You said you had Stream 1 is set to JPEG, 640X480, 5fps, Excellent video Quality for your iPhone App and you had Stream 2 set for MPEG-4, 800X600, 10fps, Good Video Quality.

Is it Stream 2 that is going to NAS?   Why only 800x600?   Seems you'd want to capture any evidence in the best resolution possible.    

Thanks for working through this with me.  I have a LOT to learn......
Link Posted: 12/12/2011 10:40:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By ProfGAB101:
Are you using fast enough memory?

You need like a Class 10 SDHC card to save higher res video in real time. Class 4 the write buffer gets backed up.

I was actually recording directly to my NAS.  I know it is fast enough because I can use the Recorder function to record continuous video to the NAS and it doesn't have breaks in it.  It only has breaks when it is a motion triggered event.   Dance around in front of the camera for a few minutes while having the camera record the motion triggered events and there are large breaks between videos even when the motion is continuous.
Link Posted: 12/13/2011 5:34:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: J563] [#5]
The 600x800 resolution at Good quality produces 9MEG files, the Excellent setting produces 30Meg files. I guess I just left it at what its generic setting was to start with. If space is no issue then I would guess u can adjust accordingly.
Fyi: at the original settings I gave it took up 17.9Gb of disk space for  full 2 days, so roughly 100 days of recording are possible to be recorded on my 1TB drive.

I would like to know if anyone uses a microphone to get audio? If so what type and is it rated for cold weather/elements to say 0 degrees F?
Link Posted: 12/13/2011 5:39:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/13/2011 8:58:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By TheGrayMan:

I don't do audio for legal reasons... it can be attacked as "wiretapping," or recording a person without their consent.  Imagine your satisfaction-turned-to-fury when some sh*tbird defense attorney gets his home-burglarizing/meth-cooking scumbag client off because your evidence got thrown out as "illegally obtained."

I stick with video only.

My reason for audio is do to my neighbors who I feel blatantly call the police and say that my dogs bark constantly....Which is BS because other neighbors say what the hell are they talking about. My intentions are to record my dogs not people, but I get what you are saying. Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/14/2011 9:31:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Any opinion on using Powerline networking hardware for cameras?  I have a couple areas that would be a colossal PITA to get CAT5e to, but have AC power nearby.  Wireless has its own issues.  Having never used powerline hardware for anything, I'm not sure what kind of real world performance to expect.  The internet is full of mixed reviews.

Are there any smallish quality IP cameras that are designed to fit in a basic single-gang wall box?  The Mobotix T24 is the closest thing I've found to what I'm looking for.  I see a few analog doorbell cameras out there.  Bonus points if it's megapixel, hemispheric.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/15/2011 1:26:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: t3rror] [#9]
I am remote this week installing some Cisco 2611's and 2630's.  These are D1 and 30fps capable.  We are installing them instead of MP cameras because of limited bandwidth back to the viewing stations.  The 6 cameras will have to share a 10MB connection that also includes our regular business and real time traffic.  

We are also installing a media server with 8TB of storage local to the site.  Initially the cameras will stream a single D1 stream to the 8TB server and a 4CIF stream to a remote 24TB server.  The local server was configured with 8TB for future use.  There are adjacent locations connected via fiber that will eventually have cameras and additional remote locations that are connected via 40Mb wireless microwave radio links.

The contractors that we are using to pull cable for the cameras and associated physical access controls are familiar with the Cisco back end media servers.  I will be questioning them on what other vendor cameras they are using for other client installs.

I will post back here with their suggestions for enterprise grade solutions.

Link Posted: 12/15/2011 2:09:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: labchimp] [#10]
Originally Posted By gasdoc09:
Any opinion on using Powerline networking hardware for cameras?  I have a couple areas that would be a colossal PITA to get CAT5e to, but have AC power nearby.  Wireless has its own issues.  Having never used powerline hardware for anything, I'm not sure what kind of real world performance to expect.  The internet is full of mixed reviews.

I have used it to get to an outbuilding for a vivotek IP8332. I was lazy and didn't feel like digging another trench and tunneling under concrete so I gave it a try. I used a pair of netgear XAVB2001-100NAS. If the two ends are on the same circuit there is decent throughput (per the netgear included utility, I can check the exact throughput when I get home) but if they are separated by breakers, distance, surge protectors, etc - it drops off significantly. I still ended up running some cat5e anyway. It's been up for several months now, no downtime, seamless connectivity once set up.

Edit - I checked the netgear utility - for two units on the same circuit about 30 ft of wire apart - 177 mbit/sec up and 100 mbit/sec down. The network interface is 10/100 mbps so it's sort of academic.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/16/2011 9:33:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/17/2011 12:55:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Not sure if it has been discussed somewhere in the thread yet, but I noticed recently that Monoprice is now carrying Cameras and DVRs.

Link Posted: 12/17/2011 6:59:51 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/18/2011 6:57:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Hey there Grayman,

You ever used or heard of these?    American Dynamics model  ADCIPE3712OCN  http://www.americandynamics.net/Products/IP_MiniDome_Outdoor.aspx
They met my outdoor spec for temperature, POE and IR cutoff filter.

Just got a lot of 13 of these on ebay, guy selling is local and said they still had the plastic sticky paper over the lenses. Got them in on some scrap lot he purchased and thought they were not scrap worthy. I am hoping there are at least 6 of them that work which from speaking with the guy they are in great condition...all 13 cost me $338.
Link Posted: 12/18/2011 7:01:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: EXPY37] [#15]
Hey there Grayman,

You ever used or heard of these?    American Dynamics model  ADCIPE3712OCN  http://www.americandynamics.net/Products/IP_MiniDome_Outdoor.aspx
They met my outdoor spec for temperature, POE and IR cutoff filter.

Just got a lot of 13 of these on ebay, guy selling is local and said they still had the plastic sticky paper over the lenses. Got them in on some scrap lot he purchased and thought they were not scrap worthy. I am hoping there are at least 6 of them that work which from speaking with the guy they are in great condition...all 13 cost me $338.

Hellava deal!

I'm beginning to hate you...

Link Posted: 12/18/2011 7:32:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Thanks....Still nervous until I prove them actually working! I work in electronics so I am at least hopeful I can debug a few to get running.
Link Posted: 12/18/2011 7:42:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Thanks....Still nervous until I prove them actually working! I work in electronics so I am at least hopeful I can debug a few to get running.

I expect most of them will work!

Link Posted: 12/18/2011 7:59:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 12/20/2011 8:07:40 AM EDT
[#19]
Another reason to have cameras in your yard:

Link Posted: 12/20/2011 8:50:37 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 12/20/2011 8:59:38 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By BadLuther:
Another reason to have cameras in your yard:  

dude needs to be fired if that was real...
Link Posted: 12/20/2011 12:38:37 PM EDT
[#22]
I have scanned through this thread,  Way too much info for me to understand about ccvt.

Here is what I want to do.  

2 outside cameras
2 inside cameras
record the video. How much memory do you need to record 4 cameras?  

Seems simple

I found this package,  is this good?  

http://www.apexcctv.com/p-1006-4-camera-complete-security-system.aspx
Link Posted: 12/20/2011 1:37:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By vatopa:
I have scanned through this thread,  Way too much info for me to understand about ccvt.

Here is what I want to do.  

2 outside cameras
2 inside cameras
record the video. How much memory do you need to record 4 cameras?  

Seems simple

I found this package,  is this good?  

http://www.apexcctv.com/p-1006-4-camera-complete-security-system.aspx

Recording space depends on camera resolution, compression rate and frame rate.
Those things are multiplicative.

Example
I have a camera streaming 800x600, MP4 at the lowest compression rate, 15fps and it takes around 90MB/min in daytime and about 30MB/min at night.
Link Posted: 12/20/2011 1:55:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 12/20/2011 4:59:29 PM EDT
[#25]

You made quite a score on that one.

As i figured only one of the 13 work,  4 do not power up and 8 have garbled video.
Link Posted: 12/20/2011 8:28:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: EXPY37] [#26]

As i figured only one of the 13 work,  4 do not power up and 8 have garbled video.

Time to start diagnosing why.

Can you swap any boards or subassemblies inside them?

Link Posted: 12/20/2011 8:53:24 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By EXPY37:

[Oh lookie lookie this page is MINE ]

yeah  i will use the one good one to diagnose the others, trying to get a schematic too...i unfortunately had Rotator cuff surgery yesterday so working with one hand  plus the Percocet's make it tough right now!
Link Posted: 12/22/2011 9:29:22 AM EDT
[#28]
Ok guys,  

Thoughts on this system?

http://www.amazon.com/CIB-K808AV500G8753-8403-Network-Security-Surveillance/dp/B004TLV41U/ref=sr_1_43?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1324563540&sr=1-43

I need to get a complete system that is easy to install.    Any major key points I should look for?   Budget is about $750 for everything.

I would like to be able to see faces at 30 feet indoors, and maybe 65 feet outside.    

Will this do it?

Thanks,

Link Posted: 12/22/2011 9:56:36 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 12/23/2011 9:18:40 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 12/24/2011 3:04:31 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 12/24/2011 5:19:26 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By EXPY37:

[Oh lookie lookie this page is MINE ]

yeah  i will use the one good one to diagnose the others, trying to get a schematic too...i unfortunately had Rotator cuff surgery yesterday so working with one hand  plus the Percocet's make it tough right now!

Well these cams consist of 3 PC boards mounted atop each other and a few wiring harnesses going to the main Camera housing that itself has 2 more PC boards nestled inside of it. Long story short swapped the one working camera housing onto one of the non working cameras and bango...Camera works now...further debug of camera housing shows on the first 2 I looked at a burnt Cap and a transistor. Real bitch to get any sort of schematics as I have called/emailed the company and they basically laugh at you wanting you to send them in for repair. Looks like time to pull the working camera apart to get a look at the part numbers off the 2 burnt parts. If anyone has a resource for camera schematics i would pay for them,  American Dynamics ADCIPE3712OCN.   thanks
Link Posted: 12/24/2011 6:07:58 PM EDT
[#33]
OK... evaluating one of these as a potential long-range license plate camera.

http://www.acti.com/file/Product/images/KCM-5211E_KCM-5311E_Front_l_0727.jpg

2MP, WDR (they call it SDR), and 35x optical zoom (none of that "digital zoom" graininess).

Here's a cropped license plate, from 80 yards at maximum zoom (confirmed with my Leupold laser range-finder).

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg286/TGrayman/Acti%205311E/licenseplate80yrdsday.jpg

OOOH!
That might be just the ticket for my 600' driveway!
Link Posted: 12/25/2011 7:36:12 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By gasdoc09:
Are there any smallish quality IP cameras that are designed to fit in a basic single-gang wall box?  The Mobotix T24 is the closest thing I've found to what I'm looking for.  I see a few analog doorbell cameras out there.  Bonus points if it's megapixel, hemispheric.

Any thoughts on this?

Something like this ... it's an analog 640x480 camera, just one cat5e cable can do power/video, but it'd need an IP video encoder.

My house was built with a cat5e cable to the doorbell, which is in a standard single-gang box in the wall.  I'd like to be able to just put a POE IP camera in there and cover my front door and walkway with about 4 minutes of work ... vs retrofitting something.  Because of the walkway's high ceiling and a pillar, a camera really needs to be on or right next to the door to be useful.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/25/2011 8:07:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TheGrayMan] [#35]
Link Posted: 12/25/2011 10:22:15 PM EDT
[#36]
Mobotix has a doorbell solution.  I have never used it, but that's because I have a standard two-wire doorbell.

ETA:  Link

http://www.mobotix.com/var/storage/images/media/images/products/ip-video-tuerstation/mx_t24m_111215.jpg/2430204-2-ger/mx_T24M_111215.jpg_large.jpg

Saw those, but they're huge, won't fit in an existing 1-gang box.
Link Posted: 12/25/2011 10:46:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TheGrayMan] [#37]
Link Posted: 12/25/2011 11:15:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: gasdoc09] [#38]
I'm pretty sure they're modular... you may not have to get the whole keypad/etc.

Still too wide.

A custom faceplate/box like this one made for the guts of an Axis M1054 is pretty close to what I'm looking for, but the box is still larger (7.25”  x  4.25” x 3.50") than the existing 1-gang box, so I'd have to tear a hole in my wall.

And here is a supercompact (about 1.1" x 1.1" x 1.6") megapixel POE camera that would certainly fit in a 1-gang box, but I'd have to roll my own mount/cover ... and no indication as to software compatibility.

I just can't believe there isn't an off-the-shelf product here.
Link Posted: 12/25/2011 11:49:32 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 12/26/2011 12:38:14 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 12/26/2011 4:57:49 PM EDT
[#41]
TGM,

Thank you very much for taking time to introduce and educate us on the many variants of security cameras. I'm sure it's taken a lot of your time and energy and it's definitely appreciated.

Now that I've inflated your ego I have a quick question about IP cameras.

I am currently running a multi analog camera setup that is recorded via a stand alone DVR. I also have this system set up so I can view the cameras from multiple rooms via a powered video/audio splitter.

My questions regarding IP cameras are is there any way to split or feed the IP camera's signal to multiple screens without using multiple computers and if it is possible will I be able to see multiple cameras on the same screen?

I would like to upgrade to megapixel cameras, but would hate to lose the multi room viewing.

Thank you
Link Posted: 12/26/2011 6:14:43 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Desert_AIP:
OK... evaluating one of these as a potential long-range license plate camera.

http://www.acti.com/file/Product/images/KCM-5211E_KCM-5311E_Front_l_0727.jpg

2MP, WDR (they call it SDR), and 35x optical zoom (none of that "digital zoom" graininess).

Here's a cropped license plate, from 80 yards at maximum zoom (confirmed with my Leupold laser range-finder).

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg286/TGrayman/Acti%205311E/licenseplate80yrdsday.jpg

OOOH!
That might be just the ticket for my 600' driveway!

Don't go out and buy one yet.  I'm still testing this one, and want to make sure the internal storage function is usable at an adequate frame-rate to ID vehicles/plates.

Standing by with baited breath!  
Trying to Google for mounting options and coming up with zip.
Does it come with some sort of bracket?
Link Posted: 12/26/2011 7:57:27 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 12/28/2011 12:33:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TheGrayMan] [#44]
Link Posted: 12/28/2011 10:19:03 AM EDT
[#45]
TheGrayMan,

Thanks for putting this together. I do have a question though. I'm looking for a simple system ( say 4 cameras, monitor and recorder ), but it has to operate on 12 volts from power supplied by a solar / battery system. Can you recommend such a system? Thanks again.
Link Posted: 12/28/2011 2:52:36 PM EDT
[#46]
Been using this guide to help set up my IP camera system, in case anyone needs help with the networking side of things:

Lord knows I need all the help I can get!
Link Posted: 12/28/2011 3:23:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TheGrayMan] [#47]
Link Posted: 12/28/2011 7:04:49 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By CTRob65:
TGM,

Thank you very much for taking time to introduce and educate us on the many variants of security cameras. I'm sure it's taken a lot of your time and energy and it's definitely appreciated.

Now that I've inflated your ego I have a quick question about IP cameras.

I am currently running a multi analog camera setup that is recorded via a stand alone DVR. I also have this system set up so I can view the cameras from multiple rooms via a powered video/audio splitter.

My questions regarding IP cameras are is there any way to split or feed the IP camera's signal to multiple screens without using multiple computers and if it is possible will I be able to see multiple cameras on the same screen?

I would like to upgrade to megapixel cameras, but would hate to lose the multi room viewing.

Thank you

Sorry... missed your post.  Let me try to see if I understand what you're trying to do.

You want to distribute the feeds from your IP cameras (or your NVR) to multiple locations in the house?  You also want to see multiple cameras tiled on the same screen?

ETA:  if that's all you want, that's actually pretty trivial.  I use a Startech video-over-UTP setup to distribute the tiled view from my NVR to several TVs in the house (it sends the video over Cat5 to a receiving unit, which converts it into VGA.  A simple monitor cable goes from the receiving unit, and plugs into the TV in question).

But honestly?  I rarely use that part of my setup.  My wife and I have tablet computers (she has an Ipad, and I use an Android tablet), and I can get streams from virtually ALL of my cameras on the tablet in a tiled format.  I just now reached over, grabbed my Motorola Xoom, punched up the IP Camera Viewer app, and am currently looking at a 16-camera view of my home, all over Wifi.

And frankly?  If something starts happening around the house, I'm going to use the tablet to maneuver my way towards the problem.  Having a video feed on the TV in my master bedroom is great, but having it on the tablet makes it ultraportable.  I have a video feed in my safe room as well, but if I have to fight my way there, I have the benefit of 16 extra sets of eyes to get me there in one piece.

Thank you very much for your informative response. It looks like I can now finally slowly convert from analog to IP cameras.
Link Posted: 12/29/2011 8:21:11 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By pinkmist7-62:
TheGrayMan,

Thanks for putting this together. I do have a question though. I'm looking for a simple system ( say 4 cameras, monitor and recorder ), but it has to operate on 12 volts from power supplied by a solar / battery system. Can you recommend such a system? Thanks again.

They do make "Mobile" DVRs for vehicles, if you want something analog, on-site, and 12VDC... but I don't think they're networkable (why would they be?).

Alternatively, you could put your four cameras on an Axis 241Q, which will run from 12VDC (I've actually done that.  I set two up away from the main DVR, powered them from a standard 12VDC CCTV power supply, and sent the video back over a network connection).

Thanks. Will look into this.

Link Posted: 12/31/2011 2:49:32 AM EDT
[#50]
Page / 72
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top