Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/5/2009 7:17:41 PM EDT
At first I was going to add this to TxAggieA-Batt's post "My lightweght compact survival kit project, with pics", but I did not want anyone to think I was attempting to high jack his thread.  I thought someone might want to see another "kit with pics" to get some ideas.  Anyrate below is my Personal Survival Kit (PSK).  I put together and it goes with me anytime I go hiking, travel more than a couple hours from the house to visit the in laws, etc.  In the first couple of pictures you see things as they are set up right now; however, this set up is always changing...sometimes weekly.  The order things are pack is usually the same, but I change or supplement contents depending on when and where I am going.  Some these items have been tried out...if so I'll try to point out which ones and how they worked.  So here we go...

First picture is a Tactical Tailor horizontal utility pouch.  Got this on sale at Christmas time a couple years ago.  Great size to fit in a jacket pocket, BDU utility pocket, I usually put it in the top pouch of my pack.  

Just a picture to see it unzipped.  I do not like packing it until it starts to bulge or becomes difficult to zip or unzip.  

Quick view of the contents.  I'll go over some closer in a second.  Right now it is set up with space blanket, Altoid Tin which is a fire starter kit, medicine bottle with cotton balls coated in Vaseline, Maglite with some duct tape, small 3 blade Buck knife, half a pack of tissues, small notebook, Fisher space pen, and a first aid kit (get to the contents of that in a minute).  

The notepad and Fisher space pen have just been recently included.  I went hiking and made some notes of a trail and fire tower I wanted to visit, but did not want to take the guide book.  When I got home they were in my pack, so I added them to this kit.  A pack of tissues used to be part of my kit years ago (at that time the container was a quart size zip lock bag).  Going through my box one day I noticed a pack of tissues, remembered they had come in handy more than once, so I added them to this kit to make sure I always had a couple.  The Buck knife is a simple 3 blade folder my daughter gave me for Christmas a couple years ago.  It is not much, but it is an extra blade.  I usually have a Leatherman Wave or Kick so this is only a supplement.

Picture of the first aid kit.  The item with the hole in it is a mirror turned over so the camera flash would not reflect.  Assorted bandages, safety pins, nail clippers, razor blade, there is sewing needle set in a piece of paper (difficult to see in the pic but it's there) and some alcohol preps, and a one gallon zip lock bag.  The mirror in this kit has never been used, but I added it after using the mirror on a Silva compass to make sure some debris wasn't in my eye.  This first aid kit is pretty flat.  The main thickness of the kit is the space blanket and the Altoid tin with fire starter stuff.  

Fire starter stuff in an Altoid tin.  Little orange thing is a Spark Lite.  If you have never used one of these you need to try it.  My daughter loves it.  Whenever we go to the in laws my daughter and I practice different fire starters.  This is her favorite.  The Spark Lite and a cotton ball with Vaseline burns great and I have gotten times as long as almost five minutes from a single cotton ball.  Also included is a cigarette lighter and a candle.  Years ago when camping, before I ever thought about using cotton ball/Vaseline, I was having a heck of a time getting the tinder to stay lit.  A buddy always carried a tea cup candle with him and used it.  Ever since I always carried a candle.  Underneath everything is the tinder that comes with the Spark Lite.  I keep in the tin with everything else, but I did not think it burned as long or as hot as the cotton ball soaked with Vaseline.  Also some plain flat cotton pads.  These are just an extra piece of tinder.  They are flat, but are like 3 or 4 ply, so you can pull them open and fluff them up to catch a spark.  

I know there is a lot about fire making, and by no means am I an expert.  However, when I was a Boy Scout several times I saw how difficult building a fire can be.  However with the right tools, practice and knowledge it can also be quite easy.  While back packing in Maine it was pouring down rain and the guide was able to get a fire going by making a bunch of fuzz sticks and some other voodoo I didn't catch.  

Finally, if you look under there photo of the first aid kit there is a black bag.  It is an OR stuff sack.  In this picture everything including the personal kit is in the stuff sack for me to grab.  Not included in the picture are the two Leathermans the Wave and Kick, a Petzl e+lite, and ORC MCU level 4 packable windshirt.  

The Petzl e+lite is top notch.  I have put it in the personal kit, sometimes I just put it in my pocket.  I have never needed it for an emergency situation, but have used it fishing and reading and it works great.  Also I have never used the ORC windshirt, but twice while I was fishing I wish I had it with me.  

The magnesium fire starter seen in the last picture works.  However, I wasn't impressed.  It would not be my first choice as a fire starter.  The Swedish fire tool (I believe that's what it is called) works, but the Spark Lite does the same thing and was easier to use. The little orange match holder has storm matches in it.  I believe they are made by BCB International.  They work, burn hot, etc.  

There is a little Gerber red light.  You can get them at Target for like 2 lights for 10 bucks.  It is on a piece of para cord long enough to drape over my neck.  I set this up when I was in Law Enforcement full time.  It was the perfect size to wear (on a call out) and hold in my teeth if need be so I could connect my head set to my radio or something.  

The Mora knife I haven't used outside because a Kershaw pocket knife or Leatherman is usually with me.  But I read such great reviews here about them.  I had to get two.  The other is in my full size BOB.  Also in the OR stuff sack is various bandages, a second space blanket, GI lensatic compass, strobe (I usually take this if I'm hiking and the wife and daughter are with me.  Just toss it in the bottom of the pack...and my youngest nephew thinks it's cool.  My nephew is like 5 I think), Datrex food bar, Nuwick 44 hour candle, Nalgene bottle and cup.  These are not my full 72 hour kit, but just extra items that I keep within easy reach.  Depending on what I am doing I might grab a bandage, or roll of duct tape, roll of para cord, etc.  

That is my personal kit.  I used to carry a cheap pack of dental floss.  Right now I have no idea why some is not here.  Tomorrow I will run by WalMart and get some.  Like I said the last picture is "extra" items I pick and choose from depending on when and where I am going.  I've never eaten a Datrex food bar, but they are supposedly good for at least a couple years.  So, if the zombies break in and all I can get to is the Outdoor Research stuff sack at least I have a couple things to get started with.  

Sorry if this post is too long.  I read these survival forums just about everyday, but I don't think I've actually posted over here but a couple times.
Link Posted: 2/5/2009 7:54:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Good stuff.  I've been thinkin about a small "Always with me" kit, and I like a kit that complete that is that small.  Hmmm... I'm off to find a suitable pouch...

jim
Link Posted: 2/5/2009 9:12:20 PM EDT
[#2]
good little kit. I like the different ways to make fire.
and +1 on letting the kids practice ....
my philosophy is, if you let the kids practice and let them ask about dangerous thing with mom or dad around and let them touch the "dangerous guns and matches" they won't go off and do it on there own and get into trouble. I think i said that right..

Might want to rethink winding duck tape around flashlight... my luck, I'd need to tape something in the dark and darn light would be in my mouth shinning beam whre I needed it.
Link Posted: 2/5/2009 9:27:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Why not one of those small 406 (or is it 409, now) GPS's with the locater beacon?
I use them on the boat with waterproof radios/dash VHF and built-in GPS with emergency 'call/positioning'.

You're lacking essential and readily available tech here.

Albeit I admire your survival skills, brother.

And WEAPON UP, MAN!

Where's the boom boom?

This IS AR15.com............................
Link Posted: 2/5/2009 11:56:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Nice kit.

Your MiniMag is a little behind the times even if you have the LED insert in it.

The Fenix L1D or L2D and possibly a few spare Lithium AA's for it and your gear would be a BIG plus IMO.

The Fenix also has a strobe -bulit in.

At night, a bright and dimmable EFFICIENT flashlight is a mighty important asset.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top