Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/29/2009 7:17:34 PM EDT
Jack Spirko from The Survival Podcast approached me about doing an audio book of LO.  He's done a demo of the prologue and first two chapters to gauge interest.  If you would like to hear what he has so far, go HERE.  Please let us know what you think.

Thanks,

David
Link Posted: 1/29/2009 7:30:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Cool , So when are you going to get published so I can buy the book .
Link Posted: 1/29/2009 7:32:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Sounds good so far! I love that book and would be willing to pay to be able to listen to it any time. MP3 format works for me.
Link Posted: 1/29/2009 7:33:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Should sound good!

Link Posted: 1/29/2009 7:39:17 PM EDT
[#4]
yes!
Link Posted: 1/29/2009 7:39:20 PM EDT
[#5]
The podcast rocks!!!!

Just got the link for the audio intro.  
Link Posted: 1/29/2009 8:03:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Oh heck yeah! I loaded the written on my wifes PALM and she was addicted. An audio would be great for those long rides home at the end of the semester.
Link Posted: 1/29/2009 8:11:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Great idea!
Since I work alone in my shop, audio books are part of my life.
Couldn't work without them. Download them from library2Go. Maybe you could be on their list and maybe get something in return.
Would put it on my favorites list.

VM
Link Posted: 1/29/2009 8:14:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Why don't you self-publish, with something like lulu.com ?
Link Posted: 1/29/2009 8:40:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Yep, I would be interested.
Link Posted: 1/29/2009 8:43:08 PM EDT
[#10]
I wouldn't mind seeing a movie made, of course due to the length of the story, it'd have to be done over the course of three or four movies.

but I guess until that happens we'll settle for the audio version.
Link Posted: 1/29/2009 10:01:05 PM EDT
[#11]
1.)Yes

2.) Publish the damn thing! I have turned many on to it and want to start buying copies.

3.)TSP is awesome.
Link Posted: 1/29/2009 10:14:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Yes and would be interested in a printed copy.
Link Posted: 1/30/2009 12:20:26 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
1.)Yes

2.) Publish the damn thing! I have turned many on to it and want to start buying copies.

3.)TSP is awesome.

^ what he said
Link Posted: 1/30/2009 1:01:48 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Yes and would be interested in a printed copy.

this, though i'd be more interested in a printed copy depending on format(cd preferably) i may be interested in a book on tape version...
K.
Link Posted: 1/30/2009 2:26:14 AM EDT
[#15]
Good story, I would highly recommend you get it published....

Dan Tucker
VT
Link Posted: 1/30/2009 2:34:48 AM EDT
[#16]
Yes I am interested, and I'll purchase a bound copy too.
Link Posted: 1/30/2009 4:05:42 AM EDT
[#17]
Yes on the audio and yes on the book copy. I have it on my laptop as pdf but it is hard to read that way.
Link Posted: 1/30/2009 5:20:51 AM EDT
[#18]
I'm still waiting for the Movie
Link Posted: 1/30/2009 6:00:21 AM EDT
[#19]
Yes for audio
Yes for hardcopy
Link Posted: 1/30/2009 6:05:34 AM EDT
[#20]
Yes, but please have someone else read it.   Lights Out is too good to let it get spoiled ("...we went over to talk to Gunny, alright, and he said hi, alright, y'know, alright....").

Self-publish at Podiobooks.com

Link Posted: 1/30/2009 6:39:42 AM EDT
[#21]
I'm up for a audio copy, but I'd like to see others reading the characters.  Just the same person reading all the characters kind of loses it for me.  Sure I can do without any sound effects or James Earl Jones narrating it but having different voices for the characters would just make it more realistic and entertaining.

Just my worthless .07 cents
Link Posted: 1/30/2009 6:48:44 AM EDT
[#22]
+1 on the audio book.
+1 on publishing and getting me an autograph  
+1 on the movie

and +1 on having multiple characters speaking, for ease in distinguishing people from one another

this is exciting.  

(and yes, my angel is stretched out - I can't figure out how to fix her now that the site changed.  )

ETA:  just listened to the prologue - AWESOME!!!!!  Spirko does a great job of showing the emotion...  I can't wait to be able to buy this!!!  
Link Posted: 1/30/2009 7:21:01 AM EDT
[#23]
Hellz yeah!
Link Posted: 1/30/2009 7:37:22 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Yes for audio
Yes for hardcopy

Link Posted: 1/30/2009 7:53:20 AM EDT
[#25]
+1 audio & PRINTED...I'll volunteer my services for the character kUroty-man.   In my best Texas  kUroty voice, "Kiai!"  

Did I pass the audition???

Best,

BJ in SW_MO
Link Posted: 1/30/2009 8:08:46 AM EDT
[#26]
sounds good
Link Posted: 1/30/2009 8:22:01 AM EDT
[#27]
Yes on the audio version, and you MUST get this published. Everyone I tell about it gets hooked and has nothing but positive feedback about your talent. Get 'er done!
Link Posted: 1/30/2009 8:33:29 AM EDT
[#28]
Add me to the list of those who would like to see you publish the book.
Link Posted: 1/30/2009 8:45:50 AM EDT
[#29]
Honestly I'm not that interested in an audio version of LO. Don't get me wrong I loved the book and I would buy a few copies of a print version but I just don't have any use for an audio version.

Link Posted: 1/30/2009 8:48:37 AM EDT
[#30]
David thanks for posting this here and working with me on it.

On the suggestion of multiple readers, that would be a neat idea we are doing it this way because it is something we can do and get out and available quickly.  I am all for David putting out a hard copy and I think my company can help him get it formatted and ready to go with a service like Lulu.  That said Lulu is a lot more expensive then some other print on demand services.  So once the audio is ready I will see if we can help him with that.

We have had over 100 request the preview in the first 12 hours so that is really exciting!  

Last, Roger_C, dude please give it a rest.  First this is READING the book as written go have a listen to the audio.  I assure you, that you will hear "all right" only when and where David has written it.  I also figure you haven't listened to the show in a while?  I don't think it was even used once in today's show.   I did have alright going as a place holder for a while, I have pretty much killed it off.  It happens from time to time but it has been very reduced.  It was your criticism that helped me with that and I thank you for it.  That said you comment here, not really cool man.
Link Posted: 1/30/2009 9:24:42 AM EDT
[#31]
I listened to the three files this morning and overall give it a 6 out of possible 10 points.  The audio quality is OK, and the reader speaks clearly without many misspoken words or verbal tics.  However, the reading was a little too fast for an audio book, and if I didn't know the book so well I wouldn't be able to distinguish between characters or be able to follow it as well.  I listen to a lot of audio books and if the worst Librivox recording is a 1, and the most polished reader ever (George Guidall or Simon Vance) is a 10, I give this narrator a 6.
Link Posted: 1/30/2009 9:44:16 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Last, Roger_C, dude please give it a rest.  First this is READING the book as written go have a listen to the audio.  I assure you, that you will hear "all right" only when and where David has written it.  I also figure you haven't listened to the show in a while?  I don't think it was even used once in today's show.   I did have alright going as a place holder for a while, I have pretty much killed it off.  It happens from time to time but it has been very reduced.  It was your criticism that helped me with that and I thank you for it.  That said you comment here, not really cool man.

I think you have confused me with someone else regarding past criticism in other threads.  I made a comment here that a better reader, one who has done audiobooks before, perhaps, would be better suited for the job, and I think that is correct.  Lights Out is a terrific book, deserves to be published, and should be done the right way.  That is my opinion, and relates to the Halffast's question about an audio version of his book.  That said, your mistaken comment, above, not really accurate, man.
Link Posted: 1/30/2009 9:56:12 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Hellz yeah!

+1
Link Posted: 1/30/2009 9:58:06 AM EDT
[#34]
I am interested in an edited and published version of Lights Out.  Audio Book not so much.  

I am no print business guru- but doesn't an audio book follow a successful published book?  Seams like doing an audio book first is backwards.  

Lights Out is the top of the genre in my opinion.  It should have been published years ago.  I can only assume Halffast has some inner self defeating demon and that's why its not published yet.  There is no reason Lights Out will not be at least as successful as Patriot's, Unintended Consequences, and Enemies Foreign and Domestic.  

The Road was a freakin best seller- more proof the genera can be successful.  
Link Posted: 1/30/2009 10:08:11 AM EDT
[#35]
I listened to the first few installments:

Needs additional voices; not just Jacks. A feminine voice for the female characters; different vocal tones for the various cast iof characters, some sound effects every so often (car door opening, closing, crowd voices for when everybody is milling around) Needs some instrumental music in the background. tense music for tense moments.

Concept is good; but as it presently stands it's very dry.
Link Posted: 1/30/2009 10:09:34 AM EDT
[#36]
Book and CD please
Link Posted: 1/30/2009 10:21:04 AM EDT
[#37]
Remember, this is only a demo at this point for Jack and I to gauge the interest.  Jack has stepped up to plate with this and  he IS who is going to it.  I know I may need to tweak the text so that it is easier for the listener to follow the dialogue.  We welcome all constructive criticism, but please keep it germaine to the subject at hand.  This will be a huge project.  There will be hours of audio if we do the whole book and I suspect that each hour of audio in the finished product will take many more to get right.

Thank you all for your support and encouragement.

David
Link Posted: 1/30/2009 10:21:19 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I think you have confused me with someone else regarding past criticism in other threads.  I made a comment here that a better reader, one who has done audiobooks before, perhaps, would be better suited for the job, and I think that is correct.  Lights Out is a terrific book, deserves to be published, and should be done the right way.  That is my opinion, and relates to the Halffast's question about an audio version of his book.  That said, your mistaken comment, above, not really accurate, man.

Sorry if I was wrong.  I really though it was you.  As I said I did have a spurt with one too many "all rights".   I have tried to correct that.

Link Posted: 1/30/2009 10:45:53 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Remember, this is only a demo at this point for Jack and I to gauge the interest.  Jack has stepped up to plate with this and  he IS who is going to it.  I know I may need to tweak the text so that it is easier for the listener to follow the dialogue.  We welcome all constructive criticism, but please keep it germaine to the subject at hand.  This will be a huge project.  There will be hours of audio if we do the whole book and I suspect that each hour of audio in the finished product will take many more to get right.

Thank you all for your support and encouragement.

David

Please don't confuse my views with an objection of Jack performing the reading.  He has a good speaking voice (should slow down the vocal speed a tad) and lends talent to the printed words.  

While there are those of us (ahem) who have read the book 7 times and know who is speaking; the new listener may get confused as to who the character presently speaking is if there is no way to separate the voices as the dialogue is read.   So long as everybody has the same quality of microphones and recording equipment (equivalent or better) there should be no discernable difference in the audio quality; which can also be confusing.  

Background music, lightly overlaid on the vocal audio and diminished to 30% of full will help bring the listener even more into the fold.  there are SCORES (pardon the pun) of royalty free instrumental music which can be used for this endeavor. I've used them for power point presentations and various marketing promotional and they are very helpful.

Sound effects are also something which can only enhance the overall experience.  Again one can find helpful sound effects, that when added as a layer or overlay (depending on the audio program used) can help the listener be placed into the story and feel as if they are right there as events unfold.

Just my suggestions.
Link Posted: 1/30/2009 11:02:49 AM EDT
[#40]
Good suggestions

I am actually gathering music now for that very effect.  It won't run constantly but for some time into the first and last parts of each chapter.  I will in the final versions work a bit at some vocal variations and yes my speed is a bit to fast on the first cut and it will be slowed in tempo as I keep working on this.  Reading a printed document is a LOT different then just rolling with it.  I think in the end we will have a very clear audio and based on David's writing and me slowing the temp, we won't have people confused as to who is talking in the story.

This was my first attempt, these were raw, one shot, one take.  Oh and for those that listened this week you will also note my voice was shot from being sick.  So this is not meant to be anything like the final product.  We are just trying to determine

1.  If there is interest, that question is answered.  We are over 150 downloads now and it just went up last night
2.  What the market is willing to pay for mp3 download vs hard copy CD
3.  Yes ideas for how we can make it better with in reason and capability and still have this available in a month or two

On music you guys can really help.  If you find good tracks email them to me at jack @ thesurvivalpodcast.com and I will see where I can work them in.  If you have suggestions for specific chapters/parts include that as well.  On time David is correct, I estimate I will spend about 10-11 hours of reading, rereading, editing, splicing, etc per finished hour of final product.
Link Posted: 1/30/2009 11:03:31 AM EDT
[#41]
Whichever will bring you a bigger profit.  I'm really waiting for a book so that I can read it without feeling guilty for downloading a .pdf
Link Posted: 2/1/2009 4:20:08 AM EDT
[#42]
This will be cool for the people who live in the 21st century and have an ipod / mp3 player. Unfortunately i spent all my money on guns and ammo

I've only listened to a cpl audio books so you'll have to take my comments for what they are worth.
I agree with the people who said slow down just a bit . I know the story so it's not hard for me to follow but if i didn't i think it would be just a tad fast.
The idea of sound effects in the background is a cool one imo.
Link Posted: 2/1/2009 5:15:01 AM EDT
[#43]
I would be interested in both.

Link Posted: 2/1/2009 5:39:10 AM EDT
[#44]
I would love to have it.  i listen to audio books every day on the way to/from work.

DO IT!!!
Link Posted: 2/1/2009 5:46:56 AM EDT
[#45]
Thanks, WHITE_WOLFE
Link Posted: 2/4/2009 12:14:42 PM EDT
[#46]
I loved the book.  I would love having the electronic audio book even more.  Audio books are my favorite way to read.  I travel a bit and it makes it much easier to keep up on my reading.
Link Posted: 2/4/2009 12:30:11 PM EDT
[#47]
Personally, I'd be interested in a digital copy.  However, Lights out is a great first step for a lot of 'not yet' preppers.  Putting something tangible like a CDin their hands makes it harder for them to dismiss it rather than a small piece of paper with a hastily written link,or even an e-mail with a link to the book or audiobook.  

So how about this: you guys release a digital copy and charge for the download (no overhead except your time) and let us burn copies on CD for our friends?
Link Posted: 2/4/2009 12:58:51 PM EDT
[#48]
Yes. In true AR15.com fashion, GET BOTH.
M
Link Posted: 2/4/2009 1:02:47 PM EDT
[#49]
did i say yes .

mm just look back and i did not , so yes .

a CD would be good .

long drive to work

john
Link Posted: 2/4/2009 1:02:50 PM EDT
[#50]
Yes!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top