20 year storage life <60 deg
10 year storage life >70 deg

big 5 gallon sealed for all weather bucket

Worth it?
Taste?

All vegetarian...
Link Posted: 10/8/2008 1:34:18 PM EDT
[#1]
I believe this is one of those "read the fine print" deals. Just from a strictly caloric perspective, it's not worth it.
Link Posted: 10/8/2008 1:36:26 PM EDT
[#2]
someone has posted about these I believe and did a caloric break down which wasn't all that much per day etc etc.

I wish my costco had the A-pack mre type meals ---looked this year and asked about them but employees had no idea if and when they would get them again. they were a steal at just under 20 bucks per box
Link Posted: 10/8/2008 2:20:02 PM EDT
[#3]
It's like 200 calories/serving.  Even the Nazi's fed the people in the concentration camps more than that. (1700/day if I remember right for the "workers")

No thanks.

Scope the nutrition info.

nutristorage.com/products

Should be called starvation in a bucket.
Link Posted: 10/8/2008 2:24:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Guys, a "serving" is not a MEAL.
Link Posted: 10/8/2008 2:59:59 PM EDT
[#5]
can we post the not this shit again picture here
Link Posted: 10/8/2008 3:25:49 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
can we post the not this shit again picture here

Yes, I give you permission .
Link Posted: 10/8/2008 3:42:35 PM EDT
[#7]
FOR $85, I DON'T SEE IT AS A BAD DEAL!
JUST EAT MORE MEALS A DAY, IS ALL!
1,700-2,000 CALORIES. YOUR GOOD TO GO EACH DAY!
IT ISSS IN CASE OF AN EMERGENCY!
Link Posted: 10/8/2008 4:41:41 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

you do what you want with your money.  for $85, you can get a lot more food than what's in that bucket.  

link to other thread
Link Posted: 10/8/2008 7:16:46 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

you do what you want with your money.  for $85, you can get a lot more food than what's in that bucket.  

link to other thread

CAN YOU OR ANYONE ELSE ADVICE ON A SIMILAR PRODUCT/PRICE?
THIS SEEMS LIKE AN AIGHT DEAL AND WITH THE AVAILABILITY, I WOULD NOT MIND PICKING ONE UP!
I WAS IN THE THICK OF HURRICANE ANDREW, IN FLORIDA, BACK IN 1992, AND WE STILL DIDN'T GO HUNGRY, WATER AND ICE WAS THE BIG ISSUE, THE RED CROSS DID A REALLY GOOD JOB OF KEEPING MOST FED, SO THIS WOULD BE FOR THE INITIAL DAY, AND THE NEXT FEW DAYS AFTER, JUST SAYIN, IS ALL.
I DON'T MEAN TO UPSET THE HARD CORE SURVIVALISTS, BUT FOR THE AVERAGE JOE, LIKE ME, IT'S AIGHT!
THANKS
Link Posted: 10/8/2008 7:30:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Put together your own food kit for $85. You'll get better food and better nutrition.

Also, turn off your caps lock. It's considered yelling.

Av.
Link Posted: 10/8/2008 7:39:52 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

link to other thread

THIS SEEMS LIKE AN AIGHT DEAL AND WITH THE AVAILABILITY, I WOULD NOT MIND PICKING ONE UP!
I WAS IN THE THICK OF HURRICANE ANDREW, IN FLORIDA, BACK IN 1992, AND WE STILL DIDN'T GO HUNGRY, WATER AND ICE WAS THE BIG ISSUE, THE RED CROSS DID A REALLY GOOD JOB OF KEEPING MOST FED, SO THIS WOULD BE FOR THE INITIAL DAY, AND THE NEXT FEW DAYS AFTER, JUST SAYIN, IS ALL.
I DON'T MEAN TO UPSET THE HARD CORE SURVIVALISTS, BUT FOR THE AVERAGE JOE, LIKE ME, IT'S AIGHT!
THANKS

"hard core" is not how most of us would describe ourselves, but if you're looking to just get through the first few days, grab some cans of tuna, and some soup, maybe thow in some pop tarts.  

and yes, please, turn off the caps lock.  
Link Posted: 10/8/2008 10:14:38 PM EDT
[#12]
OK like others have said this is not a good deal.  The first thing you need to do is identify your need.  If you want enough for 1 day to a week that bucket might work.  However, it is still not a good deal.  here are other options.

1)Mountain house meals at wal mart 5.88 buy 12 and you have two a day for about 5-10 dollars less.  OR

2)Idahoan instant potatoes in foil packs.  one bag 440 calories just add hot water and stir. 96 cents each so 5 a day 2200 calories one week equals $35.00.  There are different flavors.  Add some canned beef in gravy for protein(2-4$ a can depending on where you go around here and whether you want American name brand canned in Brazil or no name brand canned in brazil and it is still less than the bucket)

3)1 bag of rice one bag of beans (#1 ea) equals 2900 calories a day and costs about two and a half bucks a day add bullion and you are looking at maybe $25 for a week.

4)mix and match 2 pounds each rice and beans $5 2 days
  1 bulk pack canned soup sams club (8 cans)    $11 2-3 days
  10  idahoan pouches                                    $10 2 days
  2 cans each canned chicken and beef (filler/stretcher) $12
  Get a plastic bucket to put it in from the bakery 0$
  cheap camping stove and lots of fuel (the lettle trioxane type ones not the best
  but will work for op)                                              $15
  2 cases bottled water from sams                             $10
  3 7 gallon blue jugs (aqua tainers)                          $27

Total is $83.  It has everything food  wise for a week.  more than 3x the minimum water just in case.  Add extra rice and beans etc and you can stretch it to a boring but survivable 2 weeks and still be under 100 and it has a way to cook the food unlike the cost co kit.  So no even for a week that bucket is not a "good deal."  It may be better than nothing but that does not make it a good deal.  

In the future list what you need/want something for clearly (Like I just want something for a week so I can feel superior to the sheeple I ridicule will this work vs is this a good deal).  Then your answers MAY be more in line with what you want to hear.  And when the answer you get is not what you wanted do not get pissy and throw around terms like hardcore trying to make yourself feel better by insulting/belittling the people you are asking to help you.  Actually assume they are trying to help you and Try to learn something from their experience.

I too thought that kit was cool.  But being a paranoid JBT who knows if sounds to good to be true it probably is I read the fine print and said umm not so much.

JMHO YMMV
Link Posted: 10/8/2008 10:22:46 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Then WTF is a serving?

This "275 serving" bucket was originally sold as a "3 month supply" bucket, before they were called out on the caloric content. Now they're calling it 275 servings, but at ~200 calories per serving, you will need 10 servings per day to make the USDA 2000 calorie target. You'd get more nutrition from drinking 10 cokes each day and taking a multivitamin.

Calculating calories, you've cut your advertised 3 month supply down to less than a 1 month supply... a one month supply of vegetarian noodles and crap. If they would at least use a little bit of animal fats and oils they could boost the tastiness and the caloric content tremendously.

$85 will buy a lot of rice, beans, wheat, flour, sugar, etc and the meals will be a lot more wholesome. Even more so if you have the opportunity to add a bit of wild game meat.
Link Posted: 10/8/2008 10:31:32 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Then WTF is a serving?

No set amount (well there may be one but it varies from item to item).  You have to read the label carefully.  For example a 24 ounce bottle of pepsi has 3 servings(a serving is defined by Pepsi as 8 oz).  Marketing I think this way people will say wow only 100 calories in my bottle of pepsi because they do not read th small print and do not multiply by 3.  they are consistant though becuase cans are 1.5 serving. The previously mentioned idahoan potato pouches have 4 serving each.

interesting some girls I used to work with gave me shit for having a snickers for breakfast.  I told them my snickers was no different than there breakfast bars.  They called bs.  their breakfast bars had half the fat and calories of my snickers----then I pointed out the serving size was also half and did the math for them and that my snickers was tastier.
Link Posted: 10/9/2008 6:05:22 PM EDT
[#15]
For just one person it MIGHT work. Not alot of calories. I think I even heard something about a lawsuit against the company that makes it. Can't remember though.
Link Posted: 10/10/2008 11:56:23 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

link to other thread

THANKS

First - you're 50 posts in to this whole thing now. You need to recognize that typing in all caps is the 'posting' equivilent of yelling. Aight?

More to the point - 85 bucks will buy a crapload of rice, beans, peanut butter, etc, yielding a much larger caloric harvest for the money. It's also pretty painless to buy a few extra canend goods every time you go shopping and set up a rotation system, giving you the chance to make it through a disruption without suddenly and completely changing your diet. COmbine the two and end up with a stash of canned goods backed up by meal expanders like rice, beans and rolled oats, and you're set.

Link Posted: 10/10/2008 12:03:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/10/2008 10:44:23 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
THANKS

so you're saying you don't have tinfoil hat?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top