Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/20/2008 10:21:06 AM EDT
I've seen people complain a few times about the cost of rifles etc and part of economic survival is spending your money wisely.... So i thought i'd share this.

Ok my Mom wanted a real battle rifle not some wimpy mouse gun. But she’s retired and living on a fixed income so she doesn’t have a lot of coin to spend on something she may never need.

So being the good son I set out on a mission to build/buy her the “best” most affordable battle rifle I could find for the money.  It was pretty much a given this rifle would be a FAL since I have enough mags to set her up……and the adjustable gas system should make it relatively comfy for her to shoot.

The hard part patience is a must you can’t get in a hurry…… It also helps if you’ve got good friends who will help you keep an eye out for good deals. Well a few weeks ago one of my best friends called me up and said hey is your mom still looking for a rifle. I said yea. He said well I just bought one she can have for what I gave for it if she wants it. So I have her pay him.

She got this century built L1A1 on an imbel receiver for $430. Well my mom hated the but hole stock (thumbhole) it made the safety almost impossible to use and well it’s just ugly. So she wanted to get the gun back in pistol grip configuration.

To do this legally it has to be 922 compliant and have 6 compliance parts US made (7 with a muzzle attachment). So we got to go shopping.  We go with hammer trigger sear (3 parts), century but stock and pistol grip (2 parts),  gas piston (one part).
Other misc parts you need for this conversion.
You will also need a pistol grip stud to go on the lower where century ground it off.   The pistol grip screw (the one used for the buthole stock is to short). You will also need a new trigger return spring and plate (century ground off a tab on the plate and the trigger return spring used in the thumbhole is to long). FAL  multi tool for the stock is also a nice to have.

Total cost of parts 189.50. Please note my mom was out of patience and hated the buthole stock so I didn’t shop this stuff I went to reputable dealers and bought new condition stuff….. you could do it cheaper if you shoped.

The finished product………She has a $630.00 FAL that shoots great.  The gas system didn’t need any adjusting after the conversion it actually shoots a tad softer (plenty manageable for an old woman). My mom was shooting a 12 gauge when she was 8 months pregnant with me (could be what’s wrong with me )
Anyway just thought I’d give some of you an idea of what can be done if you want a battle rifle on a budget.

Maybe not the pretiest rifle in town but hey........ FAL's are for kill'n

Link Posted: 4/20/2008 10:41:17 AM EDT
[#1]
GREAT RIFLE and it doesn't look bad to me i like it
Link Posted: 4/20/2008 10:56:51 AM EDT
[#2]
You have the most badass mom in the world...
Link Posted: 4/20/2008 11:05:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Nice Job AC.

Now your Mom don't have to sit on the porch with a shotty.
Link Posted: 4/20/2008 11:08:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Nice .
Wish my mom was into shooting , I would probably get more usefull stuff around the holidays
Link Posted: 4/20/2008 11:16:10 AM EDT
[#5]
hell of a deal, I'd give $430 for a butthole FAL as long as it worked, until I come across a deal, I'm gonna have to keep using my AR10 though.

two good things about getting a rifle for you parents is, one: your just giving a little back for them raising you, and two: gives you an excuse to your woman for buying a truckload more ammo and mags, you know for the family.
Link Posted: 4/20/2008 11:28:02 AM EDT
[#6]
You gotta' post a pic of mom with her new FAL!
Link Posted: 4/20/2008 12:10:22 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
hell of a deal, I'd give $430 for a butthole FAL as long as it worked, until I come across a deal, I'm gonna have to keep using my AR10 though.

two good things about getting a rifle for you parents is, one: your just giving a little back for them raising you, and two: gives you an excuse to your woman for buying a truckload more ammo and mags, you know for the family.

3rd good thing (maybe a little morbid), but when your parent dies, you'll likely get the gun back.

nice job on the build, btw.
Link Posted: 4/20/2008 12:24:44 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Nice Job AC.

Now your Mom don't have to sit on the porch with a shotty.

Get off my lawn!
Link Posted: 4/20/2008 12:32:58 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

SCATTER OR SPLATTER!! [/bad ass mom]

Link Posted: 4/20/2008 12:49:56 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

+1 !!
Link Posted: 4/20/2008 1:36:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Cool mom , no doubt  

I have that same fal, except in it came correct from the factory with flash hider, etc.

I was thinking about selling it on the EE just before I read this thread

Shocking
Link Posted: 4/20/2008 1:38:07 PM EDT
[#12]
sweet Rifle and great concept. its not many people who set out to do a budget MBR and end up with a nice FAL. you should be proud of yourself and your mother.

and yes, your mom shooting a 12ga when 8 months pregnant is what is wrong with you.
how do I know... my mom did the same thing.
Link Posted: 4/20/2008 2:12:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Your a good son, "Honor your mother and your father"  with a Fal!!!!
Link Posted: 4/20/2008 2:24:39 PM EDT
[#14]
It's no wonder you're so cool AC...with a mom like that, some had to rub off!

My mom only shoots a Mini-14.

Link Posted: 4/20/2008 2:37:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Thanks

I'll work on pics

My mom only shoots a Mini-14.

Thats my dads prefered rifle....
Link Posted: 4/20/2008 2:53:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Nice rifle. I lusted after FAL's three years ago...not so much now at .50 a rd....
Link Posted: 4/20/2008 5:39:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Very nice.  Always wanted an FAL.
Link Posted: 4/20/2008 5:56:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Where did you find 922R compliant L1A1 H/T/S? I've so far been luckless in finding any.
Link Posted: 4/20/2008 6:28:18 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Where did you find 922R compliant L1A1 H/T/S? I've so far been luckless in finding any.

Gunthings Here you go. $85. for the set but IDK of anyplace esle that has them......  the triger pull on this rifle was pretty stiff in it's original form... not sure if it's wishful thinking/more time with it or it's an actual marked improvemnt with it since the conversion.

Link Posted: 4/20/2008 6:34:37 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1 !!

ROFL mention me riden a street bike again around her...... you'll find out how cool she is and who taught me how to cuss (she blames the army)

She forgets taking me to 2nd grade on the back of one
Link Posted: 4/20/2008 6:57:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Very nice.

Link Posted: 4/21/2008 6:13:37 AM EDT
[#22]
A lot of the Century FrankenFALS had problems (believe me, I know ) but the Century guns built on IMBEL receivers generally get good reports. I have one with many, many rounds of that used to be cheap port. ammo sent downrange without issue.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top