Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 72
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 11:18:47 PM EDT
[#1]
A good way to subsidize this hoppy is doing it for others.  I started with my system. Then word got around that I could do it and I have picked up several jobs from it.  I use mostly stuff I find on ebay.  I can get rid off allot of my stuff I bought on ebay because it was cheap. I have found that buying quality (RG59) premade cables and simple 4 output wall warts it can be really easy.  Allot of the jobs I have been getting have been on garages and pole barns.  They are real easy to do.  2-3 hours is all it takes.  I have round $600 in equipment and charge $1000. They are not the best systems by any means but they are affordable.  Most businesses want $2500 for a 4 camera starter system. It is a great learning experience.  You can see what works and what don’t.  And the more cameras in your neighborhood the better.  I have managed to move the crime away from my area.  While sending 9 people to jail in the process.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 11:27:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By AR-50:
A good way to subsidize this hoppy is doing it for others.  I started with my system. Then word got around that I could do it and I have picked up several jobs from it.  I use mostly stuff I find on ebay.  I can get rid off allot of my stuff I bought on ebay because it was cheap. I have found that buying quality (RG59) premade cables and simple 4 output wall warts it can be really easy.  Allot of the jobs I have been getting have been on garages and pole barns.  They are real easy to do.  2-3 hours is all it takes.  I have round $600 in equipment and charge $1000. They are not the best systems by any means but they are affordable.  Most businesses want $2500 for a 4 camera starter system. It is a great learning experience.  You can see what works and what don’t.  And the more cameras in your neighborhood the better.  I have managed to move the crime away from my area. While sending 9 people to jail in the process.

That's very strong work.

One of my systems just busted not one... but TWO groups of teenage vandals in a single weekend.  It's all being handled unofficially right now... but if they don't want the po-po involved, the teens are going to do restitution... and like it!

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 6:00:52 PM EDT
[#4]

Nope... cameras, wire, and PoE switch will put your cameras on your network.  You can stream any of them to your desktop (IE only).

If you're doing all-Acti, you could use their supplied, like-branded DVR software to record the cameras.  I've not used it, but GR8WYT has... he might be able to help guide you if you have problems.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 6:16:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By TheGrayMan:

Nope... cameras, wire, and PoE switch will put your cameras on your network.  You can stream any of them to your desktop (IE only).

If you're doing all-Acti, you could use their supplied, like-branded DVR software to record the cameras.  I've not used it, but GR8WYT has... he might be able to help guide you if you have problems.

Thanks GrayMan.......had two companies out to do bids on camera's........one wanted $5700, the other $2700, the latter was all analog cam's....I figured for a little more $, and some extra sweat, I could get a really nice setup and learn how to do it myself.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:06:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By bigshooter81:

Thanks GrayMan.......had two companies out to do bids on camera's........one wanted $5700, the other $2700, the latter was all analog cam's....I figured for a little more $, and some extra sweat, I could get a really nice setup and learn how to do it myself.

Money is tight these days... and CCTV can be expensive.  In an economic climate like this, where crime is going up, and CCTV might be a valuable addition to your HOMESEC plans, it just makes sense that more people are going to end up DIYing.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 9:17:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Neighbor down the street stopped me today and asked about the person who installed my cameras. I told him I purchased all of the components and had a neighbor do the wiring. I gave him the neighbors number he is in the business. Maybe when I'm a little more comfortable and it's cooler out I might tackle a job.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 1:36:11 AM EDT
[#8]

Eggsactly!

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 3:39:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Finally success ,

First ip camera up and running. Vivotek fd8361 2mp with Nuuo ip+ for vms. Streaming h246 now, haven't decided on which codec will end up using( mjpeg maybe). This was a PIA for a while, however I see a huge difference vs analog.

Thankyou all for your posts. Especially grayman. By the way I'm not computer literate at all, so that was the steepest learning curve.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 4:16:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By firstelc:
Finally success ,

First ip camera up and running. Vivotek fd8361 2mp with Nuuo ip+ for vms. Streaming h246 now, haven't decided on which codec will end up using( mjpeg maybe). This was a PIA for a while, however I see a huge difference vs analog.

Thankyou all for your posts. Especially grayman. By the way I'm not computer literate at all, so that was the steepest learning curve.

Glad you were able to make it work.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 3:20:45 AM EDT
[#11]
What a great thread.

You know, for IP cameras, bandwidth is not as much an issue with higher end cameras as they include built in JPEG compression. The output is MJPEG. You start having problems on lower end devices that only output RAW format. Those things will kill a 100mb line, especially in color mode, even at 640x480.

Typical 24-bit color at 640x480 in RAW mode requires 921,600 bytes per frame. At 30 fps that's 27,648,000 bytes per second. A 100mb line can't handle it, so a lower frame rate would be required. 15 fps would be fine for home security, so now you have 13,824,000 bytes per second, but even that will saturate a 100mb line.

This is why for cheap cameras in RAW mode, you have to go 8-bit grayscale. Now you're using 307,200 bytes per frame at 640x480. You should be able to run 2 cameras at 15fps on a 100mb line in this mode. It may still drop frames. however.

With MJPEG, you can get those images down to 30-40kb each, so now bandwidth is not really a problem unless you have a lot of cameras on one line.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 9:18:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By mattja:
What a great thread.

You know, for IP cameras, bandwidth is not as much an issue with higher end cameras as they include built in JPEG compression. The output is MJPEG. You start having problems on lower end devices that only output RAW format. Those things will kill a 100mb line, especially in color mode, even at 640x480.

Typical 24-bit color at 640x480 in RAW mode requires 921,600 bytes per frame. At 30 fps that's 27,648,000 bytes per second. A 100mb line can't handle it, so a lower frame rate would be required. 15 fps would be fine for home security, so now you have 13,824,000 bytes per second, but even that will saturate a 100mb line.

This is why for cheap cameras in RAW mode, you have to go 8-bit grayscale. Now you're using 307,200 bytes per frame at 640x480. You should be able to run 2 cameras at 15fps on a 100mb line in this mode. It may still drop frames. however.

With MJPEG, you can get those images down to 30-40kb each, so now bandwidth is not really a problem unless you have a lot of cameras on one line.

Yes... but right now I'm looking at a 3Mp image stream off of one of my cameras.  It does MJPEG compression on-camera, and the frames are approx 400kB/frame, multiplied by 8 frames-per-second.

so we're talking 3-4 MegaBytes of data per second.  Convert that to bits so we're dealing with the same units as ethernet, and you have 20-30 MegaBits-per-second of data from a single camera.

You can run out of room quickly with a handful of high-megapixel cameras, and a regular consumer-grade 100-MegaBit switch.
Link Posted: 9/18/2010 10:49:12 AM EDT
[#13]
I won an Ebay auction for a "new unused" Panasonic IP camera. I got it yesterday it was filthy inside sawdust along with other dirt. I contacted the seller an his replay was it is a new used camera as listed. I sent him a copy of the listing "new unused" and asked what is a "new used" item anyway.  He has offered to refund my money if I send the camera back.
I think I'll just get an Acti ACM-7411.
Link Posted: 9/18/2010 1:17:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By ger42:
I won an Ebay auction for a "new unused" Panasonic IP camera. I got it yesterday it was filthy inside sawdust along with other dirt. I contacted the seller an his replay was it is a new used camera as listed. I sent him a copy of the listing "new unused" and asked what is a "new used" item anyway.  He has offered to refund my money if I send the camera back.
I think I'll just get an Acti ACM-7411.

Oh, the travails of Ebay.
Link Posted: 9/18/2010 1:37:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Very good info in here.  I've been looking for a comparison of the camera video in different camera types for a while.

I will note one thing.  HOLY CRAP. I'm not spending 600$++ on a video camera for outside.  Thats crazy expensive for what you are getting in terms of electronics.  These cameras are not complicated electronics.  My 1080 HD Canon Video camera was 1000$ and I'm going to pay 600$ for a 2-3mp video camera? Uhh, NO.

ANYWAYS!  My question is, can someone recommend a PC based DVR card.  Something either PCI or PCI express to plug into a Windows XP based system for a 1 camera, possibly two camera system ( front yard, back yard ).  I'm looking at doing an analog camera because the previous mentioned stuff is just stupid expensive and I cant justify it.  

The camera will be mounted to the front of my house to see whoever comes to the front door basically, and possibly to see some street pedestrian and vehicle traffic.  I've noticed night time cameras are useless for the most part unless you buy 600$ cameras for anything more than 10 or 15 feet away.  What I'd really like is the ability to view the cameras remotely via HTTP if this is possible with the PC DVR type systems.  I use DYNDNS redirect for other hardware locally so this type of setup is easy.  

Also can anyone suggest a camera for this application in the 150-200$ range?  As long as I can obtain NICE daytime video, and reasonable images at night to where I can see faces clearly when someone steps to the front steps on the house, that's all I really need.  

Thanks for any suggestions! I've seen some DVRs in the 80$ range, but was not sure if they are worth it.

Link Posted: 9/18/2010 3:01:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By r-2-k-b-a:
Very good info in here.  I've been looking for a comparison of the camera video in different camera types for a while.

I will note one thing.  HOLY CRAP. I'm not spending 600$++ on a video camera for outside.  Thats crazy expensive for what you are getting in terms of electronics.  These cameras are not complicated electronics.  My 1080 HD Canon Video camera was 1000$ and I'm going to pay 600$ for a 2-3mp video camera? Uhh, NO.

ANYWAYS!  My question is, can someone recommend a PC based DVR card.  Something either PCI or PCI express to plug into a Windows XP based system for a 1 camera, possibly two camera system ( front yard, back yard ).  I'm looking at doing an analog camera because the previous mentioned stuff is just stupid expensive and I cant justify it.  

The camera will be mounted to the front of my house to see whoever comes to the front door basically, and possibly to see some street pedestrian and vehicle traffic.  I've noticed night time cameras are useless for the most part unless you buy 600$ cameras for anything more than 10 or 15 feet away.  What I'd really like is the ability to view the cameras remotely via HTTP if this is possible with the PC DVR type systems.  I use DYNDNS redirect for other hardware locally so this type of setup is easy.  

Also can anyone suggest a camera for this application in the 150-200$ range?  As long as I can obtain NICE daytime video, and reasonable images at night to where I can see faces clearly when someone steps to the front steps on the house, that's all I really need.  

Thanks for any suggestions! I've seen some DVRs in the 80$ range, but was not sure if they are worth it.

Ummm... not to put too fine a point on it, but a quality DVR (PC-based DVR or embedded) isn't going to be anywhere near $80.  You're looking at a couple of hundred, minimum.  Also remember that you still have to buy a computer to run it, and drives to store the images (unless you're recycling an existing machine).

The CNB tech cameras are reasonable for the money... you should be able to get into those for less than $200 each.

Link Posted: 9/18/2010 3:24:10 PM EDT
[#17]
I have installed dozens of the CNB cameras, and am pleased with their product line. As far as a $80 card i doubt you will find anything close to that price range. Have you thought about a stand alone DVR ?
Link Posted: 9/18/2010 5:47:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Thanks for all the good info!
Link Posted: 9/18/2010 6:11:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By hrt4me:
Thanks for all the good info!

Hope it helps you... there should be enough info here for most people to roll their own
Link Posted: 9/18/2010 11:04:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SparticleBrane] [#20]
I just read every word in this thread.

Very well done, thanks for all the great info.

I'm also going to throw something out there –– you mentioned earlier about using a dSLR to get a simulated field of view for these tiny cameras, to figure out exactly what you might see.

Unless you have a full frame dSLR (Nikon D3, Canon 5D, etc) your dSLR will have a "crop factor" due to the sensor being smaller than standard 35mm film (24x36mm), effectively "zooming in" on the image.

Your Nikon D50 has a ~1.5x crop factor.  Thus when you put your lens at 135mm and look through the viewfinder you're seeing the equivalent field of view of a ~200mm lens on a full frame dSLR or SLR.  If you wanted to see the actual equivalent field of view for full frame 135mm you'd need to put your D50 at 90mm.

edit: The last time I looked at the clock it was ~8pm.  Now it is 11pm.  Amazing how fast the time flies when you're reading stuff.
Link Posted: 9/19/2010 2:24:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: r-2-k-b-a] [#21]

Ummm... not to put too fine a point on it, but a quality DVR (PC-based DVR or embedded) isn't going to be anywhere near $80.  You're looking at a couple of hundred, minimum.  Also remember that you still have to buy a computer to run it, and drives to store the images (unless you're recycling an existing machine).

The CNB tech cameras are reasonable for the money... you should be able to get into those for less than $200 each.

I already have a computer that will easily handle any video and or image files.

And yes, PCI card based DVRs are relatively commonplace in the 80-100$ range. Such as this one here: PC DVR for $75.00 for one channel. What I dont know is how effective they are and if their software is very well done. Theres no way I'm spending hundreds of dollars on a DVR unit when I already have a computer that will do the same thing.

Or this one:

And they are both under $100.00.  They appear to fit my needs. Low cost units that will get good daytime video. Appear, anyways. :)
Link Posted: 9/19/2010 4:17:18 AM EDT
[#22]
Make sure those cards have a return policy.  You will be sendiing them back.  They are comparable to a Stallard  or high point.  Probably less quality.  You will want to spend as mch as possible.  That way you do not throw it all out in a month for a better system.
Link Posted: 9/19/2010 8:01:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TheGrayMan] [#23]

And yes, PCI card based DVRs are relatively commonplace in the 80-100$ range. Such as this one here: PC DVR for $75.00 for one channel. What I dont know is how effective they are and if their software is very well done. Theres no way I'm spending hundreds of dollars on a DVR unit when I already have a computer that will do the same thing.

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/surveillance-video_2124_302968173

Or this one:

http://site.rctoyz.com/8CH_DVR416.jpg

And they are both under $100.00.  They appear to fit my needs. Low cost units that will get good daytime video. Appear, anyways. :)

There's an old ARFCOM saying... perhaps you've heard it.  It goes "buy once, cry once."

The situation you're in is analogous to buying your first gun safe.  You may think a 10-gun capacity safe is all you'll ever need... but the experts (and those of us with multiple safes ) will tell you to buy bigger than you think you need... because you're going to fill it up, in addition to finding other things that need to go in there (jewelry, tax records, wedding album, external hard-drives, etc).  In that spirit, do you really want just a one-port card?

I would get a four-port card... minimum.  Maybe even an eight-port, since the frame-rate is divided up among the number of used channels (eg. a "120FPS" card would divide that frame-rate among your number of channels... so using five cameras would give you a 24FPS frame-rate on each).  The eight-port will even give you the option of adding additional cameras based on your circumstances (perhaps some sh*theel is vandalizing your christmas decorations in the front yard, and you want to add an extra camera to watch your inflatable snow-globe... or somebody keeps playing "mailbox baseball" with your mailbox...)  

Even in Geovision-land (that first card you listed), a four-port card is going to run you a couple-hundred for their older MPEG-4 cards (like that one).  Newer models are H.264... and beware of Ebay.  There are a lot of counterfeit Geovision cards coming out of China... stick to a reputable dealer.

Also, ensure that your software version allows you some upgrade room.  More specifically, to megapixel IP cameras.  If you don't, you're locking yourself into the old standard, and you won't be able to utilize some of the MUCH better high-resolution IP cameras out there.

I'm just trying to give you some upgrade room, and save you some headaches... that's all.

ETA:  If this were your house, how badly would you like to catch this little bastard?  An extra camera channel or two might come in handy... just sayin'

Link Posted: 9/19/2010 10:41:52 AM EDT
[#24]
There were a number of counterfit Geovision cards showing up in the Houston market
Link Posted: 9/19/2010 10:57:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: speedracer422] [#25]
I just want say thanks to GreyMan and everyone else who has contributed in this thread

I've really been studying this stuff on this thread and the CCTV forums...I think I'm ready to go ahead and pull the trigger on a basic system and add to it as needed.

Also, as bonus, I found out a friend of mine who was a software developer, wrote CCTV software for the past 10 years! I never knew

So, he's gonna play around w/ the free Acti software as well as the trials of everything and see if he can't hack anything up better
Anyway, in addition to a poe switch and cheap PC, I'll be ordering these to start:

http://securitybestbuy.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=74_245&products_id=323

(for inside my shop behind the counter and covering the front door)
http://securitybestbuy.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=74_246&products_id=1545

(and this to cover the 40ft entrance area outside)

Also, i will be using NAS to record that is SEPARATE and hidden from my "DVR"; so as to foil anyone who might be clever enough to take the obvious box
This should give me nice coverage and the ability to expand over time.
Also, I've been reading about the PoE injectors if you wanted to add power to unpowered cat5/6 cable...

...I have no experience w/ them, but they seem to be a popular option on CCTV forum.

I thought maybe they should be brought up in this thread.
Speed

Link Posted: 9/19/2010 12:33:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By speedracer422:
I just want say thanks to GreyMan and everyone else who has contributed in this thread

I've really been studying this stuff on this thread and the CCTV forums...I think I'm ready to go ahead and pull the trigger on a basic system and add to it as needed.
Also, as bonus, I found out a friend of mine who was a software developer, wrote CCTV software for the past 10 years! I never knew

So, he's gonna play around w/ the free Acti software as well as the trials of everything and see if he can't hack anything up better

Anyway, in addition to a poe switch and cheap PC, I'll be ordering these to start:

http://securitybestbuy.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=74_245&products_id=323
(for inside my shop behind the counter and covering the front door)

http://securitybestbuy.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=74_246&products_id=1545
(and this to cover the 40ft entrance area outside)

Also, i will be using NAS to record that is SEPARATE and hidden from my "DVR"; so as to foil anyone who might be clever enough to take the obvious box

This should give me nice coverage and the ability to expand over time.

Also, I've been reading about the PoE injectors if you wanted to add power to unpowered cat5/6 cable...
...I have no experience w/ them, but they seem to be a popular option on CCTV forum.
I thought maybe they should be brought up in this thread.

Speed  

Those are pretty good prices for those cameras... I don't know anything about that particular vendor, but resellerratings.com might be worth a look... as well as checking out the company's history.  Sometimes you can get burned going with the lowest-priced guy on Google Shopping or similar lists, since drop-shopping operations and boiler-room webstores will sometimes lowball in those lists in order to get your business... then it takes a month for the camera to arrive, if it arrives at all.

Just be wary... that's all I'm saying.

And PoE injectors are great if you only have a single PoE device, and don't want to spend money for a full-dress PoE switch.
Link Posted: 9/19/2010 1:02:57 PM EDT
[#27]

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/surveillance-video_2124_302968173

Or this one:

http://site.rctoyz.com/8CH_DVR416.jpg

There's an old ARFCOM saying... perhaps you've heard it.  It goes "buy once, cry once."

The situation you're in is analogous to buying your first gun safe.  You may think a 10-gun capacity safe is all you'll ever need... but the experts (and those of us with multiple safes ) will tell you to buy bigger than you think you need... because you're going to fill it up, in addition to finding other things that need to go in there (jewelry, tax records, wedding album, external hard-drives, etc).  In that spirit, do you really want just a one-port card?

I would get a four-port card... minimum.  Maybe even an eight-port, since the frame-rate is divided up among the number of used channels (eg. a "120FPS" card would divide that frame-rate among your number of channels... so using five cameras would give you a 24FPS frame-rate on each).  The eight-port will even give you the option of adding additional cameras based on your circumstances (perhaps some sh*theel is vandalizing your christmas decorations in the front yard, and you want to add an extra camera to watch your inflatable snow-globe... or somebody keeps playing "mailbox baseball" with your mailbox...)  

Even in Geovision-land (that first card you listed), a four-port card is going to run you a couple-hundred for their older MPEG-4 cards (like that one).  Newer models are H.264... and beware of Ebay.  There are a lot of counterfeit Geovision cards coming out of China... stick to a reputable dealer.

Also, ensure that your software version allows you some upgrade room.  More specifically, to megapixel IP cameras.  If you don't, you're locking yourself into the old standard, and you won't be able to utilize some of the MUCH better high-resolution IP cameras out there.

I'm just trying to give you some upgrade room, and save you some headaches... that's all.

ETA:  If this were your house, how badly would you like to catch this little bastard?  An extra camera channel or two might come in handy... just sayin'

Good considerations though the IP camera market is as I said, ridiculously priced.  Theres no way I'm spending 250$+ for a video camera.  I will wait until prices come down way further.

The DVR cards i've seen on that website and more appear to be stackable according to their manuals also.  I have no need for more than two cameras, and maybe if that does come up at some point, I'll look into better hardware sometime.  My main concern is simply a camera on the front door and a view out the back.  I'll likely just wing-it and see what happens.
Link Posted: 9/19/2010 1:06:52 PM EDT
[#28]

Good considerations though the IP camera market is as I said, ridiculously priced.  Theres no way I'm spending 250$+ for a video camera.  I will wait until prices come down way further.

The DVR cards i've seen on that website and more appear to be stackable according to their manuals also.  I have no need for more than two cameras, and maybe if that does come up at some point, I'll look into better hardware sometime.  My main concern is simply a camera on the front door and a view out the back.  I'll likely just wing-it and see what happens.

Fair enough.  As long as you're sure of what you need, have at it!  

Link Posted: 9/19/2010 1:44:56 PM EDT
[#29]

Yeah I'm not looking for IP camera quality at the prices they are costing in todays market.  Maybe once the economy does not suck, the prices will come down a bit and I'll try that quality camera. Otherwise, its manily just to see the front door and general vehicle/pedestrian traffic during the daytime and to put a figure on the front steps at night.

What I want to do is use a BNC style camera, put a splitter in it and run one of the cables to a a small LCD screen and mount the screen near the front door to look at.  Dont know if the camera will put out that kind of signal though. It may not be able to go to the LCD and the DVR at the same time.  I do appreciate your insight though.

Link Posted: 9/19/2010 2:18:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: EXPY37] [#30]

Yeah I'm not looking for IP camera quality at the prices they are costing in todays market.  Maybe once the economy does not suck, the prices will come down a bit and I'll try that quality camera. Otherwise, its manily just to see the front door and general vehicle/pedestrian traffic during the daytime and to put a figure on the front steps at night.

What I want to do is use a BNC style camera, put a splitter in it and run one of the cables to a a small LCD screen and mount the screen near the front door to look at.  Dont know if the camera will put out that kind of signal though. It may not be able to go to the LCD and the DVR at the same time.  I do appreciate your insight though.

"Maybe once the economy does not suck, the prices will come down a bit and I'll try that quality camera."

Econ 101 would suggest the opposite...

I'm finding great buys on very sophisticated IP cams on ebay. Great savings and getting [for example an outdoor PTZ with heated housing cam with 26x optical mag for a fraction of new price which is several 1000 $]

Link Posted: 9/19/2010 2:24:33 PM EDT
[#31]

You can probably connect the LCD monitor to the output of the VCR. You can also buy amplified distribution 'splitters' for NTSC cams. Cheap.

Harbor Freight often has an inexpensive cam that might do your job.
Link Posted: 9/19/2010 3:12:28 PM EDT
[#32]
Powered splitter should work just fine for what you want.
Link Posted: 9/19/2010 3:19:11 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By SaltyDog:

Agreed.  For a one-into-two splitter, he might not even need a powered one.
Link Posted: 9/19/2010 3:26:19 PM EDT
[#34]
I like using the powered splitters for installs,  but depending on how small of a lcd screen that he wants to use he may not need it.
Link Posted: 9/19/2010 3:34:10 PM EDT
[#35]
truth be told i have done a few installs with a powered splitter by the dvr,and a small lcd screen mounted on a wall for customers to use for a quick check to see whos at the door.
Link Posted: 9/19/2010 4:25:50 PM EDT
[#36]
truth be told i have done a few installs with a powered splitter by the dvr,and a small lcd screen mounted on a wall for customers to use for a quick check to see whos at the door.

Absolutely... and I'd mount that LCD out of view of the front door.  One of the strengths of CCTV is seeing without being seen (if you have no windows/sidelights in your front door, you could put the LCD right next to the interior side of the door... or around a corner if you're worried about somebody shooting through that door... and you DID reinforce the doorframe... right?   ).  

I distribute the view from my Network Video Recorder to several LCD TVs in the house.  All I have to do is turn on the TV (or hit the "source" button on the remote) to see a full 360-degree view of the home).

Nothing takes care of "bump in the night" moments like turning on the TV in the master bedroom and seeing everything you need to see.
Link Posted: 9/19/2010 6:10:34 PM EDT
[#37]
I like using the powered splitters for installs,  but depending on how small of a lcd screen that he wants to use he may not need it.

Has nothing to do with the size of the screen, only depends on the load impedence of the monitor's input.

Many have a 75 ohm input and connecting two in parallel may drop the usually about 1 volt P-P signal in half, reducing brightness.
Link Posted: 9/19/2010 6:24:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TheGrayMan] [#38]
While searching Youtube for Christmas vandalism videos, I found this one.

I'm an individual who respects the property of others; I'm no vandal.  However... I used to have a neighbor who was absolutely over-the-top with the inflatable decorations.  Literally every holiday, he had every inch of his lawn covered with inflatables.  Every holiday was an unbelievably tacky spectacle: Halloween was inflatable witches, goblins, haunted houses, pumpkins, etc, while Christmas was snow globes, sleighs, snowmen, and so forth.

It was really obnoxious... so I must confess... if you ever had a neighbor like mine, you might find this video to be "teh funneh:"

ETA:  NSFW

ETA2:  Incidentally, the neighbor in question is one of the reasons I beefed up my home security plan... particularly after he had a knock-down-drag-out with his wife, including pistol-whipping her with a 9mm (oh yeah... he want to jail).  Had a bunch of undisciplined kids... Childrens' Services was over there multiple times... loud... let his dogs run loose (one bit a neighbor girl in the face)... didn't maintain his property... ended up skipping out on his mortgage.  

Link Posted: 9/20/2010 12:50:31 PM EDT
[#39]

Good idea, thanks!
Link Posted: 9/20/2010 3:07:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AROptics] [#40]
Great stuff.
Link Posted: 9/22/2010 2:27:16 PM EDT
[#41]
HELP!

so i've got my wireless router and switch hooked up and one camera connected, the switch shows it, my computer shows it but i cannot see anything from it.

also, i tried to load the acti software but it keeps telling me it is for 32 bit and my computer is 64 bit?

thanks
Link Posted: 9/22/2010 2:40:07 PM EDT
[#42]
HELP!

so i've got my wireless router and switch hooked up and one camera connected, the switch shows it, my computer shows it but i cannot see anything from it.

also, i tried to load the acti software but it keeps telling me it is for 32 bit and my computer is 64 bit?

thanks

This is an Acti camera, correct?  Make sure you're using Internet Explorer... and ensure you install all the software/plug-ins the camera prompts you to install (enable and install ActiveX controls).

And WIn7 has a 32-bit mode... run the software in that mode, and you should be OK.
Link Posted: 9/22/2010 7:20:44 PM EDT
[#43]
alright so i can now see the camera display, using the camera's web page.

how do i change my os to 32 bit?

i can access my router via my driod and my laptop from outside my lan, but still don't know how to get from that point to be able to access the devices(cams) that show up on my router?.

thanks
Link Posted: 9/22/2010 8:23:49 PM EDT
[#44]

i can access my router via my driod and my laptop from outside my lan, but still don't know how to get from that point to be able to access the devices(cams) that show up on my router?.

thanks

From whatever computer on the network, simply type in the IP address of the camera in IE:

http://192.168.x.x  (or whatever you're using)

That should take you to the camera.

As for the 32-bit mode in Win7, try this link to download it, though it may already be included in your OS.  Arstechnica explains it here.  It's basically a 32-bit VM (virtual machine) that comes with Win-7
Link Posted: 9/22/2010 9:02:10 PM EDT
[#45]

thanks

From whatever computer on the network, simply type in the IP address of the camera in IE:

As for the 32-bit mode in Win7, try this link to download it, though it may already be included in your OS.  Arstechnica explains it here.  It's basically a 32-bit VM (virtual machine) that comes with Win-7

i can only do ths while i'm on the network?,how do i do it from my home that isn't "in" the active network?.
Link Posted: 9/23/2010 12:22:12 AM EDT
[#46]

thanks

i can only do ths while i'm on the network?,how do i do it from my home that isn't "in" the active network?.

I posted a fairly lengthy procedure about 5 pages back.

Link Posted: 9/23/2010 12:36:38 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By EXPY37:

Is he asking about port forwarding?  I'm not sure I understand the problem.
Link Posted: 9/23/2010 7:16:29 PM EDT
[#48]

yes, didn't exactly know what the term was but i am trying to learn about port forwarding.......and am computer not-so-savvy...

it's got me very confused.

good news i got four cams up and running and can view them from my laptop at work......

Link Posted: 9/23/2010 11:08:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: EXPY37] [#49]

yes, didn't exactly know what the term was but i am trying to learn about port forwarding.......and am computer not-so-savvy...

good news i got four cams up and running and can view them from my laptop at work......

Did you use the D-Link router?

It's a blast isn't it? Especially PTZ's in the mountains. Incredible.

I've got cams all over and can check them even on the road.

Link Posted: 9/24/2010 2:00:05 PM EDT
[#50]

Did you use the D-Link router?

It's a blast isn't it? Especially PTZ's in the mountains. Incredible.

I've got cams all over and can check them even on the road.

i'm using a netgear router/modem/wifi combo.............tried to feel my way through it but...... nothing available over www as of yet.
Page / 72
Top Top