User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 72
Link Posted: 8/22/2010 10:12:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By speedracer422:
Wow.

*SNIP*

So, I think, for the price, I'll grab a couple CNB VBM-24VD's, I can build a nice pc and run the wires, power the cams, etc... but what card is going to work well w/o breaking the bank?

Also, as cool as it would be to watch my CCTV cams on my Droid, i don't NEED those functions; I'm really looking for reliability over features.

Thanks,

Speed

I don't have a lot of experience with the brands you mentioned (Avermedia and Geovision).  However, I did build a Nuuo-based PC DVR for a friend of mine (retired military buddy), using one of their encoder cards.  It's been dead-nuts reliable, and the uptime on it has been outstanding... it's literally been running for over a year without a hiccup (it's on a UPS, and is always-on).  As far as stability, I've been VERY impressed with it... it just works.

A card like their SCB-6004 would probably work well for your application, since it does 30FPS at D1 resolution (split among however many cameras you choose to attach, up to a maximum of four).  Three cameras on that card would give you a nice even 10FPS for each camera, @D1 resolution.

They also come with their own software... which is a nice bonus.  The downside is that I don't think their encoder cards will work if you choose some other software solution.  If you want to expand, or add some IP megapixel cameras later, you can do that... just add IP licenses in the software (via a USB dongle).

You can use as big of a hard-drive (or a RAID array) as you want... just pay attention to the hardware recommendations.
Link Posted: 8/25/2010 12:44:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Nothing seems to be going right. My latest problem other than a "rash" not going away and postponing my prostate removal because of cancer.
Camera system problem.

I purchased a used Axis 241Q . I followed the reset routine in the manual. I then ran the Axis IP utility to change the IP address from the default 192.168.0.090. When done I select the home page button up comes a box with user “root” asking or for a password and a confirmation. When I enter it I get a box asking for a user and password I key “root” and the password I had set, enter it and get the same box back. I cannot get beyond this.
The IP utility finds the address I assigned 192.168.0.120
Suggestions??

This PC does not have internet access when I have IP devices I'm trying to attach.
I am using Luxriot software and it sees my IP cameras no problem.
My connection to the internet is through an Apple Time Capsule and I have not figured out what all my settings need to be to allow the PC to have it's 192.168.X.X address and get to the internet.
Link Posted: 8/25/2010 6:49:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: EXPY37] [#3]
Originally Posted By ger42:
Nothing seems to be going right. My latest problem other than a "rash" not going away and postponing my prostate removal because of cancer.
Camera system problem.

I purchased a used Axis 241Q . I followed the reset routine in the manual. I then ran the Axis IP utility to change the IP address from the default 192.168.0.090. When done I select the home page button up comes a box with user “root” asking or for a password and a confirmation. When I enter it I get a box asking for a user and password I key “root” and the password I had set, enter it and get the same box back. I cannot get beyond this.
Suggestions??

This PC does not have internet access when I have IP devices I'm trying to attach.
My connection to the internet is through an Apple Time Capsule and I have not figured out what all my settings need to be to allow the PC to have it's 192.168.X.X address and get to the internet.

Ger, if the 241Q is a camera, you need to reset the unit by pressing on the 'reset' button and then plugging in power, and holding the button for about 15 seconds.

Once you have reset to default parameters, run the program from Axis to set the IP addy or do it in one of several alternative ways.

Then, once you have gotten that far, the U-N should be 'root' and the password 'pass'.

Let me know if you have issues.

ETA ––I see that the 241Q is a server and it may work the same way as their cameras.

Link Posted: 8/25/2010 8:40:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By EXPY37:
Camera system problem.

Suggestions??

Ger, if the 241Q is a camera, you need to reset the unit by pressing on the 'reset' button and then plugging in power, and holding the button for about 15 seconds.

Once you have reset to default parameters, run the program from Axis to set the IP addy or do it in one of several alternative ways.

Then, once you have gotten that far, the U-N should be 'root' and the password 'pass'.

ETA ––I see that the 241Q is a server and it may work the same way as their cameras.

Root pass worked.
Then said I needed Axis media control downloaded it but now it says it's not registered. This is like trying to get into Fort Knox.
Link Posted: 8/25/2010 9:31:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Camera system problem.

Suggestions??

Root pass worked.
Then said I needed Axis media control downloaded it but now it says it's not registered. This is like trying to get into Fort Knox.

Set the camera server to use MJPEG rather than MPEG4.  That will fix that issue.
Link Posted: 8/25/2010 10:37:30 PM EDT
[#6]
This thread has been awesome.  I am looking at setting up a system that gives me some expansion options. First this is what I want to do.  I want to start with a Nanny Cam.  I want cameras to cover the inside of my home to monitor domestic help.  I have to monitor a large open living room/dining room/kitchen area that is in a large L, about 30x30.  I also need to monitor a child's room about 12 x 12.  I would also like to monitor a large family room and a connected play area (pretty much open).  Family room is 22x22 and the play area is 15 x 8.  If placed correctly I can monitor 90% of the play area with a camera placed in the family room.

I want IP cameras.  Probably Megapixel, but SVGA will work, I think.  They need wide angle in order to work as I have them laid out.  I want to be able to record and would prefer to record with motion detecting to save space.   I would be happy with about 6-10 FPS and sound (I am aware of legalities and have that covered).

I have a gigabit network wired downstairs with cat5e, but only one room upstairs has a drop (because the basement was finished out by me). Network runs to a closet with a Wireless G Router acting as an AP, a Linksys Wired Router (Small business model), and a Netgear 16 port Gigabit Switch.  

Running more Cat5e upstairs is a BEAR.  I might be able to get one more drop in the living room near where I want to place a camera (Green Circle). I can also use that same new drop and run an additional drop for a front door camera for a future upgrade.  But I have vaulted ceilings, and part of my attic is not accessible, and I spent 8 years doing electrical work in my old home, crawling through an attic and I am tired of it.  :-)

I am also looking for cameras that are low profile, but not invisible.  I don’t want a bullet, or a massive dome.  It is in a living area so I want it to look ok.

I want to build/buy my own PC based NVR.  I would like to do a couple of Wireless G cameras and 3 wired IP cameras.  

I would like to keep my budget down, but that may be hard.  I would like $1500 or less.
The cameras are really just indoor.  I just do not see much use at night, except maybe the basement ones.  

So the questions:

Suggestions on Cameras?
What SPECs do I need for the Computer?
What additional Cards or stuff do I need from something like the Lenovo you mentioned earlier?  

Here is the layout of my home.  I am open to alternative suggestions.  

http://jklinephd.com/camera.jpg
Link Posted: 8/25/2010 11:45:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By n2glox:

*SNIP*

Suggestions on Cameras?
What SPECs do I need for the Computer?
What additional Cards or stuff do I need from something like the Lenovo you mentioned earlier?  

Here is the layout of my home.  I am open to alternative suggestions.  

http://jklinephd.com/camera.jpg

A couple of thoughts.

Check out this PDF

Most of the wireless cameras out there LOOK like wireless cameras... they have big antennas, etc.  Axis makes a few of those too... like this one:

Now compare that to the one I linked above:

Definitely more pleasing aesthetically... and smaller.  Now the disadvantages:  Narrower field of view (47 degrees versus 74 degrees), and lower resolution (VGA versus Megapixel).  Even so, it may be feasible in your installation to go with the smaller/nicer cameras, if the FOV and resolution are adequate.

Here is a comparison between Axis wireless models.  See if you find anything you like.

Link Posted: 8/25/2010 11:52:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TheGrayMan] [#8]
Here's a video example from that 207W wireless camera:

Link Posted: 8/25/2010 11:52:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Axis cameras have alot of really nicce features. We install alot of those.
Link Posted: 8/25/2010 11:54:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By UNDERTOW4507:
Axis cameras have alot of really nicce features. We install alot of those.

Yes they do... they're one of the big players in the IP video market.  Here's a video comparison between the 207W and  the 1031W

Link Posted: 8/26/2010 12:08:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Camera system problem.

Suggestions??

Root pass worked.

Glad you got into it Ger, what's next?

Link Posted: 8/26/2010 12:19:52 AM EDT
[#12]

Root pass worked.

Glad you got into it Ger, what's next?

The MPEG decoder for the axis cameras is licensed.  A copy of AMC came with a 241Q I used to own... but to put it on multiple computers, you need multiple licenses.  

I said "screw that," and went with MJPEG instead.  It produces better pictures anyway.  Also set the 241Q to use Java rather than Active X for the browser-end... that will allow you to use Firefox and IE.
Link Posted: 8/27/2010 8:58:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Okay problem 127 solved I can now get into the Axis 241Q and configure it and the cameras. On to problem 128. I added it in Luxriot as a server and Luxriot cannot connect. Is there a log I can get into to see what is happening?  

Link Posted: 8/27/2010 1:33:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Okay problem 127 solved I can now get into the Axis 241Q and configure it and the cameras. On to problem 128. I added it in Luxriot as a server and Luxriot cannot connect. Is there a log I can get into to see what is happening?  

Are you having trouble with the Luxriot server seeing the Axis server, or is your Luxriot client unable to see the Luxriot server?

Are any firewalls on the server machine disabled (including the built-in windows firewall)?
Link Posted: 8/27/2010 8:02:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ger42] [#15]
Originally Posted By TheGrayMan:

Are you having trouble with the Luxriot server seeing the Axis server, or is your Luxriot client unable to see the Luxriot server?

Are any firewalls on the server machine disabled (including the built-in windows firewall)?

I'm on the internet but my internal address are 10.0.1.xxx Friend got this far but he did not want to screw with the apple Time Capsule (wireless server)
I can add the server but it never connects. I hit reconnect it sits I check and it's not connected.
I can ping the server at 10.0.1.120 and get a response back. It shows in the server and client.

Link Posted: 8/27/2010 8:29:39 PM EDT
[#16]

I'm on the internet but my internal address are 10.0.1.xxx Friend got this far but he did not want to screw with the apple Time Capsule (wireless server)
I can add the server but it never connects. I hit reconnect it sits I check and it's not connected.
I can ping the server at 10.0.1.120 and get a response back. It shows in the server and client.

Make sure the windows firewall is turned off.
Link Posted: 8/28/2010 7:53:01 AM EDT
[#17]
Camera check in client got
Server: Axis [10.0.1.120]
Connection result: Error (No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it)
Current server time: Error (Cannot obtain server time)
Link Posted: 8/28/2010 9:09:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TheGrayMan] [#18]
Connection result: Error (No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it)

You've got a firewall issue.

ETA:  go to the Windows Security Center and turn off the windows firewall.  Windows will holler at you when you do this, and you'll have a little red shield with an "X" down in the system tray, but if you don't, you can't connect.
Link Posted: 8/28/2010 3:28:03 PM EDT
[#19]

ETA:  go to the Windows Security Center and turn off the windows firewall.  Windows will holler at you when you do this, and you'll have a little red shield with an "X" down in the system tray, but if you don't, you can't connect.

That was done prior to getting that message.

Link Posted: 8/28/2010 3:37:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TheGrayMan] [#20]

That was done prior to getting that message.

Can you log into the server from a remote client?

ETA: speaking about the Luxriot server
Link Posted: 8/28/2010 6:38:40 PM EDT
[#21]
At this point I think I'll see if I can find a local Luxriot installer and pay for a service call.
I also have 1 Acti ACM-1231 camera that will not hold it's config. A Panasonic WV-CW484S that upon installation started making a constant motor sound. My neighbor installed 2 of them for me. He has installed a number of these cameras said he has never heard one make a constant sound. He can't help me with the Axis or Luxriot because he uses dedicated DVRs in his installations.

Time for a big glass of wine.

Link Posted: 8/28/2010 6:44:07 PM EDT
[#22]
At this point I think I'll see if I can find a local Luxriot installer and pay for a service call.
I also have 1 Acti ACM-1231 camera that will not hold it's config. A Panasonic WV-CW484S that upon installation started making a constant motor sound. My neighbor installed 2 of them for me. He has installed a number of these cameras said he has never heard one make a constant sound. He can't help me with the Axis or Luxriot because he uses dedicated DVRs in his installations.

Time for a big glass of wine.

The Panos have a small fan inside the dome... that may be what you're hearing.

Sorry this isn't going well.
Link Posted: 8/28/2010 10:35:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Thanks for the suggestions.

What about some low profile wired cameras?  Megapixel and again for indoors?  

Also, What specs do I need for a homebuilt NVR or where can I go to get specs (processor, add-on cards, RAM)?  

Thanks for the help.  

Jeff
Link Posted: 8/28/2010 10:39:23 PM EDT
[#24]

Also, What specs do I need for a homebuilt NVR or where can I go to get specs (processor, add-on cards, RAM)?  

Thanks for the help.  

Jeff

Depends entirely on the software suite you choose to use.  Some are lighter weight than others.

As for low-profile wired cameras, those Axis cameras also come in wired models.
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 8:59:38 AM EDT
[#25]

Thanks for the help.  

Jeff

Depends entirely on the software suite you choose to use.  Some are lighter weight than others.

I am not really certain of the Software Suite.  I have thought about Luxriot (SP?), but I am not certain about others.  I want relatively low cost and complexity.  I want motion based recording (no need to record a room that is empty).  Up to 6 cameras to start, and expandable.  I would like the software to upload to a server (MJPEG is fine) so I can check it out remotely.  

So for sake of ease, unless there is a cheaper software suite, I am looking at luxriot.  XP is fine, I have a spare license from another set up.  Do  I need a card for IP Cameras?  I wouldn't think so.  Should I isolate the cameras and put them on their own separate network, with its own switch?  I could do that with both wireless and wired, or should I just put them on my gigabit switch, which has 8 open plugs?  I know I need the POE box, you have a Trendnet one in some parts of this thread.  

Thanks for the tips.  

Jeff

Link Posted: 8/29/2010 9:49:57 AM EDT
[#26]
New day new attitude
My TCP/IP setting on the Axis 241Q changes needed? Other screen shots help?

Was going to install my last analog a CNB VBM-24VF but it is pouring. Currently the camera is sitting on a shelf just above the PC monitor picking up my frown covered face as I try to get all of this to work like I had envisioned.

I started working on computers in 1962. Programing a Burrows in Cobol. Moved on to an IBM 1130 using Assembler. The machine had 8K of memory and a 1 MB removable hard drive. I had to create and manage my own own index to be able to access individual records. Spent many a night executing single program instructions and studying bits and bytes debugging programs. Then it was the IBM System/3, 34,36,38, AS400 all in RPG. I last programmed in 1995. Moved from IT to Operations then Sales and back to Operations where I was when I retired.
My point? I have been involved with complicated computer issues before. Today I find my mind cluttered with how I did things and am having a hard time adjusting to how things are being done today.  I guess that's what happens when you get old and have had a stroke. The mind just doesn't work the same. Please bare with me you may be here some day.
Old guy soapbox being put away for now but I must warn you all it may come out again later in the day.
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 10:24:19 AM EDT
[#27]
I have a bunch of screenshots of my own Axis setup (I have one in my current installation).  When I get back from church, I'll GIMP and post them.

Stand by.
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 12:22:09 PM EDT
[#28]
New day new attitude
My TCP/IP setting on the Axis 241Q changes needed? Other screen shots help?

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k308/Ger42/Security%20cameras/TIP-IP.jpg
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k308/Ger42/Security%20cameras/TCP-IPAdvanced.jpg

Was going to install my last analog a CNB VBM-24VF but it is pouring. Currently the camera is sitting on a shelf just above the PC monitor picking up my frown covered face as I try to get all of this to work like I had envisioned.

I started working on computers in 1962. Programing a Burrows in Cobol. Moved on to an IBM 1130 using Assembler. The machine had 8K of memory and a 1 MB removable hard drive. I had to create and manage my own own index to be able to access individual records. Spent many a night executing single program instructions and studying bits and bytes debugging programs. Then it was the IBM System/3, 34,36,38, AS400 all in RPG. I last programmed in 1995. Moved from IT to Operations then Sales and back to Operations where I was when I retired.
My point? I have been involved with complicated computer issues before. Today I find my mind cluttered with how I did things and am having a hard time adjusting to how things are being done today.  I guess that's what happens when you get old and have had a stroke. The mind just doesn't work the same. Please bare with me you may be here some day.
Old guy soapbox being put away for now but I must warn you all it may come out again later in the day.

My only Axis server is currently set almost exactly like yours, with a different IP address (I didn't use a domain name... don't know why that would screw anything up, but you might just leave that field blank).

Go to your Luxriot client and grab the drop-down menu: Server ––-> Selected Server  ––-> Tasks ––->  Camera setup wizard

Compare what you have set to my own settings (with the different IP address, naturally...)

Link Posted: 8/29/2010 1:23:30 PM EDT
[#29]
And here are the relevant pages from the Axis side of the connection.  My axis server runs most of my covert cameras.

Link Posted: 8/29/2010 6:19:30 PM EDT
[#30]
I cannot use Luxriot for anything because it will not connect to the Axis server.
I have the same Axis setup as you. I did find a spot in the Axis that has a log but my ass is too sore to sit on the stool in my DVR room.
I'll try again tomorrow morning. The only thing good about being retired is having all this free time.
Thanks for all the help.
Gerry in rainy Florida.
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 7:36:18 PM EDT
[#31]
I cannot use Luxriot for anything because it will not connect to the Axis server.
I have the same Axis setup as you. I did find a spot in the Axis that has a log but my ass is too sore to sit on the stool in my DVR room.
I'll try again tomorrow morning. The only thing good about being retired is having all this free time.
Thanks for all the help.
Gerry in rainy Florida.

This may seem silly, but did you try restarting the Luxriot server?  Sometimes it makes you do that in order to apply changes.
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 11:26:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ger42] [#32]
I have rebooted. I have even shut the PC down and powered it back up
Today I entered the 241Q's IP address on the Imac using Safari and I got into the 241Q. I'm looking at the pics from the cameras I have connected to it.
I now have the same connection on my Iphone.

So from Imac or Iphone through Apple Time Capsule (router) into the 241Q works. I must have something set wrong on the 241Q for it to reject the Luxriot request.

As the current saying goes MY BAD. I was trying to add the Axis 241Q on as a server. I added it to the server I created for the 2 IP cameras and it connected. Now to add the cameras to it.  

Link Posted: 8/30/2010 4:10:52 PM EDT
[#33]
I have rebooted. I have even shut the PC down and powered it back up
Today I entered the 241Q's IP address on the Imac using Safari and I got into the 241Q. I'm looking at the pics from the cameras I have connected to it.
I now have the same connection on my Iphone.

So from Imac or Iphone through Apple Time Capsule (router) into the 241Q works. I must have something set wrong on the 241Q for it to reject the Luxriot request.

As the current saying goes MY BAD. I was trying to add the Axis 241Q on as a server. I added it to the server I created for the 2 IP cameras and it connected. Now to add the cameras to it.  

Yes... I think you end up having to add it as a "media device" or some such.
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 7:51:35 PM EDT
[#34]
All 3 Analog cameras are now attached and being recorded

Thanks for all the help
Other good news today the "rash" that postponed my prostate surgery has been diagnosed as a drug reaction. Now to determine which drug is doing it.
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 7:58:15 PM EDT
[#35]
All 3 Analog cameras are now attached and being recorded

Thanks for all the help
Other good news today the "rash" that postponed my prostate surgery has been diagnosed as a drug reaction. Now to determine which drug is doing it.

Link Posted: 8/31/2010 3:18:33 PM EDT
[#36]
Ok..

I looked through this thread and either I missed it , went blind and skipped over it or it is not here..

To start let me say I did some research into a few "heated" enclosures and the ones I found get pissy if you go below - 4.

Question for you O great cam guru/god:

I am in MN and was wondering what suggestions you might have for a security camera that can handle the winters up here without turning into a useless block of electronic ice. Say in the -30 to -40 range. The only ones I have seen have been the Bosch Extreme bla bla bla that claim a rating down to about -60 or so.

Halp

Link Posted: 8/31/2010 5:18:05 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By cmxterra:
Ok..

I looked through this thread and either I missed it , went blind and skipped over it or it is not here..

To start let me say I did some research into a few "heated" enclosures and the ones I found get pissy if you go below - 4.

Question for you O great cam guru/god:

I am in MN and was wondering what suggestions you might have for a security camera that can handle the winters up here without turning into a useless block of electronic ice. Say in the -30 to -40 range. The only ones I have seen have been the Bosch Extreme bla bla bla that claim a rating down to about -60 or so.

Halp

Mobotix cameras have no moving parts, and tolerate some pretty decent extremes of temperature... -22 to +140 °F, and that's WITHOUT heaters.  They actually have one on a mountaintop in Iceland... where it caught video of that recent volcano eruption.

It's conjecture on my part, but I'll bet they tolerate lower temps than they advertise, too... the Germans tend to be conservative when engineering their products.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 11:52:33 PM EDT
[#38]

Thanks for the help.  

Jeff

I am not really certain of the Software Suite.  I have thought about Luxriot (SP?), but I am not certain about others.  I want relatively low cost and complexity.  I want motion based recording (no need to record a room that is empty).  Up to 6 cameras to start, and expandable.  I would like the software to upload to a server (MJPEG is fine) so I can check it out remotely.  

So for sake of ease, unless there is a cheaper software suite, I am looking at luxriot.  XP is fine, I have a spare license from another set up.  Do  I need a card for IP Cameras? I wouldn't think so.  Should I isolate the cameras and put them on their own separate network, with its own switch?  I could do that with both wireless and wired, or should I just put them on my gigabit switch, which has 8 open plugs?  I know I need the POE box, you have a Trendnet one in some parts of this thread.  

Thanks for the tips.  

Jeff

I just realized that I didn't answer your question... sorry about that.

In terms of network architecture, you can do it a number of ways.  Take my home as one example. I have about 15 different cameras views coming through my network switch, and most of them are megapixel IP cameras (I have one Axis server that also serves a number of covert analog cameras).  For bandwidth purposes, I went with an auto-sensing gigabit PoE switch (eg.  if there is no PoE device on a particular port, it defaults to gigabit speed... otherwise it provides PoE at 100-megabit speed).  This enables the switch to collect all those 100-megabit camera streams and deliver them down a single gigabit connection to the NVR.

It works swimmingly.

For a smaller installation, you can get away with regular 100-megabit PoE switches, provided you don't go bonkers with the number of cameras.  

The installation I just did in these pictures?

That's standard 100-Megabit ethernet with a 100-Megabit trendnet PoE switch.  It's carrying four analog camera streams off a four-port Axis 241Q server, one IP Axis camera, one IP Acti megapixel camera, and a Mobotix IP multi-megapixel camera... and it's carrying all that with ease.

All those streams are being fed into one of those Lenovo Thinkcentre SFF computers like I mentioned a few pages back.  The only things I changed were the network card (put in a 3com N1000 gigabit card), and the hard drive (1.5TB Seagate).  It's running the new budget-range Milestone software... and I'm fairly impressed with its ease-of-use.

Link Posted: 9/2/2010 1:19:46 AM EDT
[#39]
By the way, the throughput numbers for those cameras (in bandwidth terms) are as follows:

Axis dome @VGA resolution:  4-5Mb/s
Acti dome @ 1.3 Megapixel resolution:  6-7 Mb/s
Axis server:  2-3 Mb/s x four channels (total of roughly 10 Mb/s)
Mobotix camera @ 2560x960 (megapixel panoramic):  3-5 Mb/s

So that's a real-world maximum of 30Mb/s, rounding up and being conservative.  That's easily sustainable on a 100-Megabit pipe.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 11:39:37 AM EDT
[#40]
Meant to add this last night, but Photobucket was down for maintenance.

Here is the network wiring and finished PoE setup:

Here is the DVR/NVR:

Here is the network load... looks like my back-of-the-envelope calculations were pretty close:

Here is the CPU load, carrying seven streams and also displaying them on the local machine.  It's doing very well... and this Thinkcentre is one of the low-end models:  Core-2-duo @ 1.86GHz , and two gigs of RAM.

Here's the Milestone management console:

Link Posted: 9/2/2010 11:42:16 AM EDT
[#41]
OST
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 11:20:44 PM EDT
[#42]
Thanks.  I am going to look at the cameras and a used Lenovo, or equivalent.  

Another questions have you seen BlueIris software?  
http://www.blueirissoftware.com/

Very cheap at $50, seems to good to be true.

Jeff
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 12:13:48 AM EDT
[#43]
Thanks.  I am going to look at the cameras and a used Lenovo, or equivalent.  

Another questions have you seen BlueIris software?  
http://www.blueirissoftware.com/

Very cheap at $50, seems to good to be true.

Jeff

No experience with that one.

The "too good to be true" thought would be a fair suspicion, IMHO.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 2:52:18 AM EDT
[#44]
any chance we could get a simplified wiring diagram detailing the basic structure of an IP based system?

just read the whole thread again, for the 3rd time..........tired....

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 4:45:40 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By bigshooter81:
any chance we could get a simplified wiring diagram detailing the basic structure of an IP based system?

just read the whole thread again, for the 3rd time..........tired....

The main central piece of hardware in any IP-based system is the central network switch.  Literally everything else connects to that single device... the cameras... the DVR/NVR... the clients... your internet firewall... literally everything.  Here is mine... a 24-port rackmount Cisco/Linksys PoE switch:

Here is another one I use for testing... it would suffice for a small system:

Here is another such smaller switch acting as as the central switch for just such a small system:

If you have network infrastructure/cabling already in place, it's just a matter of plugging in the cameras, and letting them draw power from that central switch.  You then hook up your DVR/NVR to the network, and let it grab streams from all those network cameras.  Clients that are viewing the collection of streams from the DVR/NVR can be anywhere.  They can be on the local network, on the DVR/NVR machine itself (a localhost client), or out on the internet somewhere (you connecting from work).

That's the basic deal.... everything is connected with cat5/6 cable.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:29:10 PM EDT
[#46]
I got my AXIS T90A20 IR installed today. I have 2 Panasonic cameras on the East side with the T90A20 it looks like daylight. The South side has 2 Acti ACM-1231. No comparison, the Panasonic pics are far better. If I could figure how to get pictures I'd post them.

This "hobby" is addictive. I ordered a CNB DBM-24VD for the garage so I can watch the dogs while I'm in the house.  Also looking at another Axis video server so I can get some cameras inside the house.
Now I need a good sized UPS so I can see outside during a hurricane before I start my generator. Good thing I sold a gun so I can afford more of this stuff.

Thanks for all the help. With your help I've been able to reduce my daily alcohol consumption to 1 glass a wine.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 10:16:49 PM EDT
[#47]
Thanks GrayMan!
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 8:02:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TheGrayMan] [#48]
I got my AXIS T90A20 IR installed today. I have 2 Panasonic cameras on the East side with the T90A20 it looks like daylight. The South side has 2 Acti ACM-1231. No comparison, the Panasonic pics are far better. If I could figure how to get pictures I'd post them.

This "hobby" is addictive. I ordered a CNB DBM-24VD for the garage so I can watch the dogs while I'm in the house.  Also looking at another Axis video server so I can get some cameras inside the house.
Now I need a good sized UPS so I can see outside during a hurricane before I start my generator. Good thing I sold a gun so I can afford more of this stuff.

Thanks for all the help. With your help I've been able to reduce my daily alcohol consumption to 1 glass a wine.

Only one drink a day?  That's just not right.

As for posting pics, just hit the "print screen" button on your keyboard when you're viewing the camera on your client.

Open MSPaint (I use the GIMP), grab the "edit" drop-down menu, and click "paste."

Crop it how you want, then grab the "file" drop-down menu, click "save as" and save it as whatever you want (eg. "screen.jpg" or similar).

Done!

ETA:  those Acti cameras will use IR light too... and would probably benefit from a similar illuminator setup.

ETA2:  If you want a free GNU Image Manipulation Program (GIMP), check out this link.  I've used that program to create/resize/crop/manipulate every picture in this thread.  It does almost everything photoshop does.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 3:24:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bigshooter81] [#49]
http://www.networkcamerastore.com/products/acti-acm-7411/

Good deal?

EDIT:

$499.00
http://www.surveillent.net/actiacm-7411outdooripdome13mpdn.aspx

Any reason this model would be a bad chioce for indoor use?.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 4:36:02 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By bigshooter81:
http://www.networkcamerastore.com/products/acti-acm-7411/

Good deal?

EDIT:

$499.00
http://www.surveillent.net/actiacm-7411outdooripdome13mpdn.aspx

Any reason this model would be a bad chioce for indoor use?

Well... you don't need the tinted dome, or that degree of weather resistance, or the vandal-hardening for indoors... but it would work.  BTW, the ACM-7411 is the older model.  I have one... it's a good camera, but they have an updated version of that camera available.  The newer model is the TCM-7411.  It uses H.264 and has Wide Dynamic Range (eg. it handles nasty lighting conditions better), which is probably worth the extra money.

On the other hand, why not go with something as good for indoors, but $100-200 cheaper?  I'd get the TCM-3411 instead.

Surveillent is a good company, and that's not a bad price.
Page / 72
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top